What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Consensus LB Rankings (1 Viewer)

Tick

Footballguy
1. Jonathan Vilma

2t. Mike Peterson

2t. Keith Bullock

4. Brian Urlacher

5. Nick Barnett

6. Odell Thurman

7t. Lofa Tatupu

7t. Antonio Pierce

9. Ray Lewis

10. Andra Davis

11. Donnie Edwards

12. London Fletcher

13. Zach Thomas

14. Shawne Merriman

15. Demorrio Williams

16. Takeo Spikes

17. Derrick Johnson

18. Lance Briggs

19. Cato June

20. Keith Brooking

21. Dan Morgan

22. AJ Hawk®

23t. Karlos Dansby

23t. Kirk Morrison

25. Jeremiah Trotter

26. Lemar Marshall

27. James Farrior

28. Gary Brackett

29. Will Witherspoon

30. Kawika Mitchell

31. Derrick Brooks

32. Marcus Washington

33. Morlon Greenwood

34t. Danny Clark

34t. Ian Gold

36. Kailee Wong

37. Channing Crowder

38. LeRoy Hill

39. Lavar Arrington

40. Daryl Smith

41. Barrett Ruud

42. Adalius Thomas

43. Chad Greenway®

44t. Edge Hartwell

44t. Demarcus Ware

I think youll find by the time the season starts, there will be at least 3 or 4 rookie added to this list - out of ryans, hodge, jackson, sims, carpenter, and lawson (if he gets converted to 3-4 OLB)

I think folks have been getting a little too excited about Merriman. The fact that he is a sensational player in real life does not mean he is going to post sensational fantasy numbers. OLBs in the 3-4 often have good sack numbers but very erratic tackle numbers - Joey Porter being the classic case in point. He's not even worth starting in most IDP leagues.

Tick,

Curious - is this your opinion, or the consensus of many?

IMO, Zach Thomas looks a little low (move to 9 from 13) and errick Brooks should be higher than about 25.

i can understand why you left bart scott off this list, but if things work out like they appear that they will, and tommy polley is gone from baltimore as an UFA, then bart scott should be on this list. strictly on a ppg basis after he became the weakside starter last yr he would be near the middle of this list. if ray ray does leave too, which i dont think will happen, he could go higher.

Curious - is this your opinion, or the consensus of many?
How can you have a consensus of one?Anyway, there were polls for people to vote. Generally there were around 25 responses to each poll. Search in this forum for topics started by me if you want to look at the results of individual polls.

1. Jonathan Vilma

2t. Mike Peterson

2t. Keith Bullock

4. Brian Urlacher

5. Nick Barnett

6. Odell Thurman

7t. Lofa Tatupu

7t. Antonio Pierce

9. Ray Lewis

10. Andra Davis

11. Donnie Edwards

12. London Fletcher

13. Zach Thomas

14. Shawne Merriman

15. Demorrio Williams

16. Takeo Spikes

17. Derrick Johnson

18. Lance Briggs

19. Cato June

20. Keith Brooking

21. Dan Morgan

22. AJ Hawk®

23t. Karlos Dansby

23t. Kirk Morrison

25. Jeremiah Trotter

26. Lemar Marshall

27. James Farrior

28. Gary Brackett

29. Will Witherspoon

30. Kawika Mitchell

31. Derrick Brooks

32. Marcus Washington

33. Morlon Greenwood

34t. Danny Clark

34t. Ian Gold

36. Kailee Wong

37. Channing Crowder

38. LeRoy Hill

39. Lavar Arrington

40. Daryl Smith

41. Barrett Ruud

42. Adalius Thomas

43. Chad Greenway®

44t. Edge Hartwell

44t. Demarcus Ware
43. Chad Greenway®Your crazy,this kid has shown me nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a reason Adalius Thomas is rated so low?  I would've put him a little higher personally.
because the second word in the title is consensus, meaning Tick ran polls for a long time and anyone interested voted. Adalius Thomas is rated "so low" because the consensus of poll answerers is that 41 LBs are better than him.

Well thansk for that answer, but do YOU think there are 41 better LB's than him?
hows this I think there will be atleast 5 unamed LBs that will break into this list

Well thansk for that answer, but do YOU think there are 41 better LB's than him?
For dynasty purposes? Yes. I disagree with a couple placings here and there, but so did a lot of other people that vote. Overall, the players above him have either shown more promise, play in good situation to produce IDP stats, or are vets that have a few years left before they decline. individual players in certain slots can be argued, but personally, once you pass Mitchell and Brooks at 30 and 31, most of them are interchangeable. depending on what your team needs, you either grab the young guy that might inherit a good job or the old guy with 1-2 years left that will fill in till your other young guys produce. Really though, these guys were argued over in every post leading up to this final list. do a search on them if you want to see what everyone was thinking...

I'm participating in my first IDP dynasty league. It happens to be 16 teams so if any of you guys have lists that are a little longer I'd appreciate it. I was hoping to put together around 100 LBs, and 80 DBs and DLs.

Adalius Thomas was the top scoring LB in my Dynasty league last year. Does the return of Ray Lewis to full time duty knock him down all the way to 41? That seems a little low.

Adalius Thomas was the top scoring LB in my Dynasty league last year. Does the return of Ray Lewis to full time duty knock him down all the way to 41? That seems a little low.
The question is was he a one year wonder in '05? The reason many people are not so high on him is that A) he doesn't produce big tackle numbers

B) he's not real consistent

C) Lewis will be back

The guy was on fire down the stretch last year when he went 27-4-5 with 3 takeaways over the final 5 weeks (without Lewis in the lineup) In the first 12 games he failed to reach 5 solo tackles 7 times. His season totals of 71-15-9 were a career high while his previous career best was 55-17-8. Strong side linebackers rarely have great fantasy value and it's even more rare that they maintian it for any substantial period of time.

The bottom line with Thomas is that if your scoring is tilted toward big plays, he will have a lot more value but most IDP owners are searching for the guys who consistently put up 7-10 solo tackles and end up with 90+ on the year. In those types of leagues he's a decent #3 starter or a strong backup.

I'll throw my 2 cents in the hat on Merriman also. The kid had a phenominal rookie campaign but I'll need to see him continue to produce at that rate before I consider him a top 25 candidate. The last 3-4 OLB I can remember who was dependable from year to year was Greg Lloyd. There have been several guys that were hot for a short while but then faded into the pack. Merriman certainly has the potential to be the exception but history isn't on his side.

hows this I think there will be atleast 5 unamed LBs that will break into this list
I agree and Bart Scott will be one of them.Also Lavarr Arrington has no business being on this list.

Donnie Edwards is still getting dogged...

link:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/charg...1s4trotter.html

Bolts' Edwards content to play role of victim

By Jim Trotter

UNION-TRIBUNE

June 4, 2006

Donnie Edwards is a bright man who wants people to believe he's ignorant.

Since being placed on the trading block in early April, he repeatedly has shrugged his shoulders when asked about the Chargers' desire to deal him. He even claimed to be hurt and confused by the situation during a recent radio interview.

Hurt, we can give him. Potential rejection is never easy, whether it's a date for the prom, an offer on a new house or a chance to finish your playing career with the team you grew up idolizing.

But confused? No way. Edwards has a degree in political science and is working toward a master's in education. If he can't make out what's going on, UCLA should demand he return his diploma and the NCAA should investigate how he received one in the first place.

Edwards is on the trading block because he has lost the respect of some teammates and many in the front office with his constant complaints about being underpaid and underappreciated. He's available to other clubs because he's in the final year of a five-year, $18.75 million contract and the Chargers have no intention of meeting his asking price next offseason, when he'll be a 34-year-old free agent.

That any of this would come as a surprise to Edwards is, well, surprising. He's entering his 11th season, so he knows how the game works. If a player is no longer in a team's plans, the team generally seeks to get something for the player now rather than nothing for him later. Edwards observed this several years ago with Junior Seau, who remains a much more decorated and infinitely more beloved player than Edwards.

Of course, it didn't have to come to this. Edwards easily could have played out the contract he signed after leaving Kansas City, then looked to get a better deal as a free agent. Instead, he began coming to the team for more money after only two seasons, first in 2004, then in 2005 and, finally, this offseason. Each time he was rebuffed his grousing grew louder. The only thing that got a bigger rise out of him was his failure to earn a starting spot in the Pro Bowl.

Look, let's be clear on this: Edwards hasn't deserved a Pro Bowl berth since he arrived in San Diego in 2002, based on the time of the voting and the performance of the players. He made his only appearance in 2005 after two other linebackers withdrew because of injuries, but that spot should have gone to teammate Steve Foley, who deserved it then and still does now.

Edwards supporters will point to how he has recorded 100-plus tackles in each of his four seasons. But a closer look, done by Union-Tribune Chargers beat writer Kevin Acee, reveals that 56 percent of his tackles came 4 or more yards past the line of scrimmage last season. And 24 percent of those occurred after gains of 6 or more yards.

Again, this is not to bash Edwards, but he has to accept responsibility for his role in the situation. He can't go around presenting himself as a great player when opposing coaches and scouts rate him as only the third-best linebacker on his team, behind Shawne Merriman and Foley.

He can't keep nodding and smiling when unknowing outsiders call him a locker-room leader and the heart and soul of the defense, because he's neither. He has been voted team Defensive Player of the Year only once since coming to town, and that was during a 4-12 season in which someone had to receive it.

I tried reaching Edwards for comment, but he didn't return my calls. Can't say that it came as a surprise. He has been painfully thin-skinned of late, telling one reporter he was done speaking to him after the reporter wrote an article that was balanced (i.e., not flattering) about Edwards' play on the field and standing in the locker room.

That's not to say he's been totally silent. During his recent radio interview, he said, among other things, that he's upset he had to hear about being on the trading block from someone outside the organization, and he wishes the team would allow his agent to talk trade with other clubs.

Asked about both statements, General Manager A.J. Smith said Edwards' agent was notified the moment Edwards was placed on the trading block, just as Seau's agent was notified the moment he was made available to other teams. Smith also said Edwards' agent, Tom Condon, is free to talk with any team, although the Chargers must agree to the compensation.

“It has become crystal clear to me that Donnie is very unhappy with his contract and has been for a few years,” Smith said. “We have always appreciated Donnie Edwards' playing ability, and we believe he is well-compensated; however, because of his unhappiness we will do everything possible to find him a new team – a team that will appreciate him the way he would like and will compensate him with an amount that will make him very happy and content.”

Sacking the Pack

The Packers recently have held firm when talented veterans have approached them about pay raises, going so far as to jettison Mike McKenzie and Javon Walker after those situations turned toxic. Now some are wondering if the same fate could await cornerback Al Harris, who's unhappy with his contract.

Harris signed a five-year, $18.6 million extension in September 2004, but he has since become disenchanted with the deal for two reasons: The salary cap has jumped more than 20 percent since he signed the extension, and the team recently signed injury-plagued cornerback Charles Woodson to a free-agent deal that could pay him $10.2 million this year. That's roughly the same amount Harris is scheduled to take home in bonuses and salary in the first three years of his extension.

one reason i like merriman & expect him to build on his success... many a young pass rusher's career founders on fact that they fail to develope inside counters... not only does he have the speed to get outside as an edge rusher, he may already have one of the best bull rushes in the NFL... that combination bodes well for his future, though i have a lot of respect for historical precedents...

if merriman stays healthy, i won't be surprised by 12-15 sacks with upside with year to year consistency... i concede that this would ordinarily be highly improbable for a LB (even for all but a few elite DEs for that matter), but that reflects the fact that i think he is a special talent & usual rules may not apply.

How is Ruud ranked? He doesn't even start.
Dynasty ranking, so Ruud has value. Also, these polls were conducted some time before Brooks and Quarles re-structured their deals. There was some feeling at the time that Quarles would become a cap casualty, especially with the labor uncertainty.

Quarles has to be the most underrated LB in the league, and I don't care that he went to college while Vinny Testaverde was still in kindergarden

Bump. Some big changes between last year (this thread) and this year. Only 4 in top 10 in 2006 and 2007.

Tatupu 7th both years :banned:

Mike Peterson 2nd to 13th :goodposting:

Nick Barnett 5th to ??? :thumbup:

O'Dell Thurman 6th to ??? :banned:

Witherspoon 29th to 5th :whistle:

Dan Morgan 21st to probably nowhere

Cato June 19th to 18th :hot:

Morrison 24th to 10th

Donnie Edwards 11th to ???

Users who are viewing this thread