What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Finding Value in Dynasty Drafts (1 Viewer)

I agree anyone may bust but when having a dynasty team i look at there dynasty value as well...Ive seen Matt Jones get traded alot before for a owner in love with him....as with other hearlded youngsters....

Therefore i may not always sit on them if the right deal comes along but i bet if i took a D.Foster or RUben i can only expect to get so much as more than likely they wont be starters in the NFL that long, i guarantee that but they dont have the ringing endorsements of like a say a Portis or R.Brown and other back that seem to have some sort of staying power right now. Ive seen those kinda rb's gets traded for peanuts really in dynasty.

Id give you and instance.

On my DFFL team below, I have Portis R.Bush L.White C.Perry B.Calhoun V.Morency L.Betts and C.Cobb. Right now i can get a Ruben Droughans or C.Brown type for a C.Perry deal. zI rather have a guys with Stud potential than just a stop gap starter.

But thats the way i view things.
I'm with you there. I'd be avoiding potential stop-gap guys like Droughns and Parker in dynasty drafts. You can get backs with similar talent at a fraction of the cost and with those early picks, I'd much rather have a top WR, QB, or TE than a third tier RB.

I agree anyone may bust but when having a dynasty team i look at there dynasty value as well...Ive seen Matt Jones get traded alot before for a owner in love with him....as with other hearlded youngsters....

Therefore i may not always sit on them if the right deal comes along but i bet if i took a D.Foster or RUben i can only expect to get so much as more than likely they wont be starters in the NFL that long, i guarantee that but they dont have the ringing endorsements of like a say a Portis or R.Brown and other back that seem to have some sort of staying power right now. Ive seen those kinda rb's gets traded for peanuts really in dynasty.

On my DFFL team below, I have Portis R.Bush L.White C.Perry B.Calhoun V.Morency L.Betts and C.Cobb. Right now i can get a Ruben Droughans or C.Brown type for a C.Perry deal. zI rather have a guys with Stud potential than just a stop gap starter.

I'm with you there. I'd be avoiding potential stop-gap guys like Droughns and Parker in dynasty drafts.
Very :goodposting: I've seen Parker go late-2nd and Droughns early-3rd in dynasty drafts. IMO These two are the ultimate stop gap guys. Try and deal these guys right now & you're not getting that value back in return.

I wouldn't want either as a RB2 and I'd take a WR over either if they were available in Round 3. You can flash 2005 numbers to me, really doesn't matter. If I don't see them as multi-year RB's, I ain't taking them.

I'm in the same boat as you in that I'll use later picks on guys that could be starters for the same amount of time in their careers.

Bump to one of my favorite threads of the offseason.

Notice that EBF selected Wali Lundy with the 21.03 pick. :thumbup:

Bump to one of my favorite threads of the offseason.Notice that EBF selected Wali Lundy with the 21.03 pick. :thumbup:
He also select CJackson in the 9th and Holmes in the 11th. Not to say that this is the end of these players, but not the greatest start.Lundy was an excellent pick.

Bump to one of my favorite threads of the offseason.Notice that EBF selected Wali Lundy with the 21.03 pick. :thumbup:
Yea, that pick has worked out pretty well so far. Lundy is a guy that I had identified as a quality sleeper long before he blew up. I was able to land him in two of my five dynasty leagues. The thing you'll notice about some of my late RB picks (Cobbs, Lundy) is that I took talented guys in unstable situations. This is often a very wise move, as some of my best picks throughout the years (Michael Clayton, Anquan Boldin) have resulted from me taking an unknown quantity on a team with a lack of a clear starter. One my draft strategies is to look for a situation that lacks a star and then try to pick the guy who will emerge. For example, the Minnesota WR group lacks a clear star. It's a good situation to gamble on because it seems pretty likely that one of the guys there will emerge. As a result, I'd say Williamson and Taylor offer very nice value in drafts. Anyhow, this team is starting to look pretty good for 2006. Lots of people in the league ripped it, but several of my picks are already looking very strong (Antonio Bryant at 7.03, Matt Jones at 8.10, Wali Lundy at 21.03, and Matt Cassel in the 26th round).

He also select CJackson in the 9th and Holmes in the 11th. Not to say that this is the end of these players, but not the greatest start.Lundy was an excellent pick.
Thing is, Jackson and Holmes still have a lot of dynasty value. It's important to remember that not every good player explodes out of the gate. Did anyone expect perennial Pro Bowl status from Chad Johnson after he went for 250 receiving yards during his rookie year?I don't feel bad about using 8th+ round picks on young players with talent. It's understood that they won't all pan out, but some of them will. All I need is for 1-2 of those guys to step up in the next few years.

Thanks for posting this, EBF.

I love that you nabbed Bush, but your RB squad is pretty weak aside from Reggie. Though that isn't a problem, as I assume you will beef up that RB corps through waivers and future drafts.

Thanks for posting this, EBF. I love that you nabbed Bush, but your RB squad is pretty weak aside from Reggie. Though that isn't a problem, as I assume you will beef up that RB corps through waivers and future drafts.
Although we have the option of starting 3-4 RBs, we are only required to start one. Given that this is a PPR dynasty league, the RB position will never be a big priority for me. I feel good now with Bush as my starter, Lundy as my backup, and White and Cobbs as longshot/potential types.I don't think it's worth investing heavily in RBs in PPR dynasty. They just aren't very reliable and the good ones cost a fortune to obtain.

Thanks for posting this, EBF. I love that you nabbed Bush, but your RB squad is pretty weak aside from Reggie. Though that isn't a problem, as I assume you will beef up that RB corps through waivers and future drafts.
Although we have the option of starting 3-4 RBs, we are only required to start one. Given that this is a PPR dynasty league, the RB position will never be a big priority for me. I feel good now with Bush as my starter, Lundy as my backup, and White and Cobbs as longshot/potential types.I don't think it's worth investing heavily in RBs in PPR dynasty. They just aren't very reliable and the good ones cost a fortune to obtain.
Well said. I like your WR depth a lot. I am just as high on Fitzgerald.

Thing is, Jackson and Holmes still have a lot of dynasty value. It's important to remember that not every good player explodes out of the gate. Did anyone expect perennial Pro Bowl status from Chad Johnson after he went for 250 receiving yards during his rookie year?I don't feel bad about using 8th+ round picks on young players with talent. It's understood that they won't all pan out, but some of them will. All I need is for 1-2 of those guys to step up in the next few years.
Chad Jackson and Holmes are different from CJ, IMO. CJ was a raw player coming out of school. I understand you're point that we shouldn't expect explosions from rookie WRs. I don't, but Jackson has the injury issues and Holmes has the legal/off the field issues. I'm not talking that they were bad picks from a talent standpoint, but their current value is significantly lower.

Laveranues Coles, Antonio Bryant, Larry Fitzgerald, and Eddie Kennison
With the exception of Fitz, this is not a league championship winning group.
:banned: It's early, but this team looks to be headed to a 2-0 start. Antonio Bryant and Laveranues Coles look like huge steals in the 7th round.

Congrats. I inherited a team with old RB's & WR's a few years back, and it took me 2 years to get out of the hole by fixing the IDP side, and snagging the flavor of the month RB off waivers.

Do you still think Parker is a stop-gap nnow that the Steelers extended him?

Not exactly, but he's not out of the woods quite yet. The Panthers extended DeShaun Foster last year a few months before drafting DeAngelo Williams. My attitude with unheralded and unproven guys like Parker is that you should err on the side of skepticism. In fact, this is my attitude towards any player in FF. Parker is a good player, but probably not worth a pick at his ADP when you can instead secure top WRs like Ward or a top TE like Heap or Shockey.

Not exactly, but he's not out of the woods quite yet. The Panthers extended DeShaun Foster last year a few months before drafting DeAngelo Williams. My attitude with unheralded and unproven guys like Parker is that you should err on the side of skepticism. In fact, this is my attitude towards any player in FF. Parker is a good player, but probably not worth a pick at his ADP when you can instead secure top WRs like Ward or a top TE like Heap or Shockey.
I snagged him before last season, and it has paid off. Since he cost essentially nothing, it has worked well. I was trying a minimal WR strategy, which fit with my needs at RB, but I only have recently been able to get 3 solid WR's at the same time. It's much easier to work the youth & upside from scratch - I've found it hard to stop drafting for need, especially when such "talent" like CRogers & KWinslow show up and you have needs at those spots.At some point, it looks like you might be in a spot to mortgage the future for a title now. What will you do if that happens?

I snagged him before last season, and it has paid off. Since he cost essentially nothing, it has worked well. I was trying a minimal WR strategy, which fit with my needs at RB, but I only have recently been able to get 3 solid WR's at the same time. It's much easier to work the youth & upside from scratch - I've found it hard to stop drafting for need, especially when such "talent" like CRogers & KWinslow show up and you have needs at those spots.At some point, it looks like you might be in a spot to mortgage the future for a title now. What will you do if that happens?
The key to my strategy is to accumulate talent at every position. This typically results in a stockpile of valuable assets that allows me to make "win now" moves without mortgaging the future. I already have a pretty solid starting lineup without getting any contributions from guys like Marcedes Lewis, Bernard Berrian (FA acquisition weeks prior to the season), LenDale White, Chad Jackson, Derek Hagan, and Santonio Holmes. If 1-2 of those guys pans out (likely) then I'll suddenly have a talent surplus. That's the position you want to find yourself in.

Last edited by a moderator:
So after a hot start, this team ended up sucking. Not a huge surprise really, but I think we can still gain some knowledge by taking a look at things.

I'm just finishing up a 26 round dynasty draft for a 12 team ppr league that starts 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 FLX, 1 PK, and 1 D/ST. I've been drafting extremely young and have taken a lot of flak for it. I figured it might be worthwhile to explain my philosophy and why I made some of the picks that I did.

First off, here's my draft:

1.03 - Reggie Bush

1.09 - Larry Fitzgerald

5.03 - Ben Roethlisberger

5.12 - Jeremy Shockey

6.01 - LenDale White

7.03 - Laveranues Coles

7.09 - Antonio Bryant

8.10 - Matt Jones

9.03 - Chad Jackson

10.10 - Ben Troupe

11.03 - Eddie Kennison

11.09 - Santonio Holmes

12.10 - Marcedes Lewis

14.06 - Alex Smith (QB)

16.06 - Reggie Williams

16.10 - Derek Hagan

17.03 - Aaron Rodgers

18.10 - Cedric Cobbs

19.03 - Justin Fargas

20.10 - Brad Smith

21.03 - Wali Lundy

22.10 - Willie Reid

23.03 - Chargers D

24.10 - Saints D

25.03 - Phil Dawson

26.10 - OTC
Not a terrible draft altogether. Good news is that Bush was a hit at 1.03 and is looking like a PPR monster. Fitzgerald, Shockey, and Coles look like cornertstones and were good picks. Several of my 1st-2nd year players remain promising.
In dynasty drafts, the future is now

1. It's tempting to focus entirely on the upcoming season, but you really should consider a player's long-term prospects before choosing him. The fact of the matter is, if you build strictly to "win now" then you're setting yourself up for an ugly situation if you fail. I've seen a lot of "win now" teams crash and burn immediately. This is the worst possible situation to be in as an owner. Not only do you have a bad team, but you also have an old team. Because you have no developing prospects "in the oven," you'll have to re-build completely from scratch.

On the contrary, if you undershoot and draft "too young" then the consolation is that your young players still have the potential to develop in the coming seasons. What this means is that your team has growth potential and the ability to re-build from within, instead of having to do everything through trades and the rookie draft.
I undershot with this team. It was a dog in year one. But guess what? There's a silver lining. The beauty of this kind of strategy is that your team isn't sunk just because you aren't an immediate contender. I have a solid foundation of starters including Reggie Bush, Larry Fitzgerald, Laveranues Coles, and Jeremy Shockey. I also have rookie picks 1.01, 2.01, and 3.01. In addition, I have a number of developing players on my bench. Between Matt Jones, LenDale White, Derek Hagan, Santonio Holmes, Marcedes Lewis, Alex Smith, Wali Lundy, Bernard Berrian (WW) and Chad Jackson, I should net 1-2 consistent producers.

That's all well and fine, but this is probably the most interesting part of my initial post:

Why stock up on so many unproven youngsters? Because that's where the stars of tomorrow are most likely to come from.

Prior to doing this draft, I went over the results from my most recent PPR dynasty draft, which took place in 2003. I went through the list of every pick and marked the selections that struck me as being steals. Here they are:

RB Steals

6.11 - Larry Johnson

7.04 - LaMont Jordan

9.04 - Chris Brown

9.11 - Willis McGahee

12.12 - DeShaun Foster

13.02 - Thomas Jones

22.12 - Brian Westbrook

Now we're starting to find some definite patterns. Every single one of these guys was a first day NFL draft pick. Secondly, every single one of them was a backup at the time of the draft.

What conclusion did I draw from this? If you're looking for RB steals in an initial dynasty draft, you should focus on untested first day NFL draft picks who are currently backups on their team. Who are some players who fit this description?

2006: DeAngelo Williams, Laurence Maroney, LenDale White, Joseph Addai, Maurice Drew, Jerious Norwood, Brian Calhoun

2005: Cedric Benson, JJ Arrington, Eric Shelton, Frank Gore, Ryan Moats, Vernand Morency

2004: Chris Perry, Greg Jones

2003: Musa Smith, Justin Fargas

There's a pretty good chance that the next few dynasty RB steals will come from the above list.

Using my personal talent evaluations and average draft position data, I narrowed my draftable sleeper RBs down to: LenDale White, Ryan Moats, Chris Perry, Justin Fargas, and William Green. I was able to land two of these five.
It looks like I picked the wrong guys, but my general idea of targeting first day draft picks who were serving as backups proved to be dead on. Three of this year's big RB steals (Maurice Drew, Frank Gore, and Ladell Betts) fall into that category.

Interesting. I think the big key here is that while you drafted to your beliefs & league setup (only need to atart 1 RB) you really needed more quality depth at RB. Having Bush & a wish sandwich doesn't help.

I think you would've been much better served by trying to get 2 RB's who will play, Bush being one. Once you're out of contention, you can deal that RB for a bunch of those specualtive guys you want.

I was also surprised to see 3 TE's that high, as they have less value outside of the studs, and once you get Shockey, you've got a stud.

Interesting. I think the big key here is that while you drafted to your beliefs & league setup (only need to atart 1 RB) you really needed more quality depth at RB. Having Bush & a wish sandwich doesn't help.I think you would've been much better served by trying to get 2 RB's who will play, Bush being one. Once you're out of contention, you can deal that RB for a bunch of those specualtive guys you want.I was also surprised to see 3 TE's that high, as they have less value outside of the studs, and once you get Shockey, you've got a stud.
I agree that I could've used another good flex player, but I don't think it necessarily had to be a RB. Problem with this team is that I only had three and a half reliable starters (Bush, Fitzgerald, Coles, and Berrian) to fill five spots each week. Guys like Kennison, Bryant, and M. Jones just weren't consistent enough to be of any use. I should be able to fill that last hole in this year's rookie draft with a guy like Peterson, Lynch, or C. Johnson. Also, it's possible that someone like Santonio, Lendale, or M. Jones will break out next season. Troupe was obviously a mistake in hindsight. It's especially painful considering that guys like Maurice Drew and Greg Jennings were out there. That said, I still like my Marcedes Lewis pick. I think he's going to be a good player eventually.

I think you always want soem sort of a plan B at a spot, and White was not nearly safe enough to be a plan B. Attempting to MacGyver a starting RB if something goes south with your starter in a dynasty will bite you.

It didn't really happen with Bush this year, but if it had, you'd have been toast. As it turns out, some of the WR's went that way, and you didn't have anybody else to turn to - if you had had another even quasi-stable RB performer, you could've used them.

I just reached the playoffs with a team I took over that had lots of issues - I drafted 1.01 two years running on merit. Right now, I'm looking at a sort of bleak next year in my dynasty league at RB: TJones, KJones, & FWP as my main 3, starting 2. Had problems all over the place at WR/TE/RB - and everyone I drafted turned to turds or got hurt until last year.

I've got a bunch of spare parts on the bench, but no real quality stuff to deal for help - other than maybe a QB like Frye and some IDP's who are normally under appreciated.

I'm curious how the top one or two teams in the league ended up in terms of roster balance in the PPR format. Were they more loaded at WR or RB? The idea of going RB heavy is so ingrained in redraft leagues, but that seems to be especially the case in the dynasty format. Do you still think a WR focus in a dynasty PPR is the best approach if you were to redo the draft today?

Here are the top 2 teams from EBF's league, based on record.

Manning, Eli NYG

McNair, Steve BAL

Rivers, Philip SDC

Romo, Tony DAL

Schaub, Matt ATL

Arrington, J.J. ARI

Davis, Domanick HOU

Dayne, Ron HOU

Fason, Ciatrick MIN

Houston, Cedric NYJ

Morency, Vernand GBP

Norwood, Jerious ATL

Tomlinson, Ladainian SDC

Turner, Michael SDC

Williams, DeAngelo CAR

Bradley, Mark CHI

Brown, Reggie PHI

Burress, Plaxico NYG

Colston, Marques NOS

Galloway, Joey TBB

Hackett, D.J. SEA

Marshall, Brandon DEN

Miller, Heath PIT

Scheffler, Tony DEN

Nugent, Mike NYJ

Packers, Green Bay

Brooks, Aaron OAK

Garrard, David JAC

Gradkowski, Bruce TBB

Jackson, Tarvaris MIN

Vick, Michael ATL

Young, Vince TEN

Barlow, Kevan NYJ

Calhoun, Brian DET

Jackson, Steven STL

Maroney, Laurence NEP

Washington, Leon NYJ

Westbrook, Brian PHI

Battle, Arnaz SFO

Driver, Donald GBP

Floyd, Malcom SDC

Gabriel, Doug OAK

Holt, Torry STL

Parker, Eric SDC

Smith, Rod DEN

Ward, Hines PIT

Williams, Mike DET

Baker, Chris NYJ

Clark, Dallas IND

Clark, Desmond CHI

Lindell, Rian BUF

Vikings, Minnesota

NattyDread said:
Thanks for posting this, EBF.

I love that you nabbed Bush, but your RB squad is pretty weak aside from Reggie. Though that isn't a problem, as I assume you will beef up that RB corps through waivers and future drafts.
I'm curious how the top one or two teams in the league ended up in terms of roster balance in the PPR format. Were they more loaded at WR or RB? The idea of going RB heavy is so ingrained in redraft leagues, but that seems to be especially the case in the dynasty format. Do you still think a WR focus in a dynasty PPR is the best approach if you were to redo the draft today?
Yea, I still think stud WR is the way to go in the long run, but it's also important to note the value of the top RBs. In this league, having LaDainian Tomlinson on your roster was literally like having an extra player each week. That can make up for a lot of roster holes. Both of the teams with LT made the championship game despite having some weaknesses here and there.You'll also note that one of the top teams in the league (posted above) had Steven Jackson and Brian Westbrook, who were PPR monsters this year. There's no doubt that 1-2 stud RBs can have a huge impact on your team's success.

At the same time, I think the best way to ensure lasting success in a league such as this one is to build a solid foundation of WRs. As a multi-league Kevin Jones owner, I can tell you from first hand experience that your stud RB is only a play away from ruin.

WRs also get hurt, but they tend to last longer. Marvin Harrison is tearing up the league long after guys like Terrell Davis, Jamal Anderson, and Eddie George have been put out to pasture.

Of course, the real answer is that you want stud RBs AND stud WRs. If you draft well, there's no real reason why you won't be able to have both.

EDIT: It's important to add that this is a start 1 RB league. In leagues that require you to start 2 RBs, the value of RBs increases dramatically.

This team went 9-3 last season and had a first round bye in the playoffs. Current roster:

Ben Roethlisberger

Kurt Warner

Trent Edwards

Aaron Rodgers

Adrian Peterson

Reggie Bush

Chester Taylor

Musa Smith

Mewelde Moore

Larry Fitzgerald

Santonio Holmes

Santana Moss

Laveranues Coles

Sidney Rice

Mark Clayton

Bernard Berrian

Laurent Robinson

Reggie Williams

Michal Clayton

Derek Hagan

Johnnie Lee Higgins

Devard Darling

Jeremy Shockey

Marcedes Lewis

Stephen Gostkowski

Chargers D

1.08, 3.05, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11 rookie picks

Here are the top 2 teams from EBF's league, based on record.Manning, Eli NYG McNair, Steve BAL Rivers, Philip SDC Romo, Tony DAL Schaub, Matt ATLArrington, J.J. ARI Davis, Domanick HOU Dayne, Ron HOU Fason, Ciatrick MIN Houston, Cedric NYJ Morency, Vernand GBP Norwood, Jerious ATL Tomlinson, Ladainian SDC Turner, Michael SDC Williams, DeAngelo CAR Bradley, Mark CHI Brown, Reggie PHI Burress, Plaxico NYG Colston, Marques NOS Galloway, Joey TBB Hackett, D.J. SEA Marshall, Brandon DENMiller, Heath PIT Scheffler, Tony DEN Nugent, Mike NYJ Packers, Green Bay Brooks, Aaron OAK Garrard, David JAC Gradkowski, Bruce TBB Jackson, Tarvaris MIN Vick, Michael ATL Young, Vince TEN Barlow, Kevan NYJ Calhoun, Brian DETJackson, Steven STL Maroney, Laurence NEP Washington, Leon NYJ Westbrook, Brian PHI Battle, Arnaz SFO Driver, Donald GBP Floyd, Malcom SDC Gabriel, Doug OAK Holt, Torry STLParker, Eric SDC Smith, Rod DEN Ward, Hines PIT Williams, Mike DET Baker, Chris NYJ Clark, Dallas IND Clark, Desmond CHI Lindell, Rian BUF Vikings, Minnesota
Getting Brian Westbrook in the 22nd round makes me think that 12 owners forgot about Him.Than one guy said, wait Westbrook is still available. WOW.Youth kills in a Dynasty Leagues. Teams play to win 5 years from now. :rolleyes: Never will get that. :shrug: But that works for me. :excited:

Here are the top 2 teams from EBF's league, based on record.Manning, Eli NYG McNair, Steve BAL Rivers, Philip SDC Romo, Tony DAL Schaub, Matt ATLArrington, J.J. ARI Davis, Domanick HOU Dayne, Ron HOU Fason, Ciatrick MIN Houston, Cedric NYJ Morency, Vernand GBP Norwood, Jerious ATL Tomlinson, Ladainian SDC Turner, Michael SDC Williams, DeAngelo CAR Bradley, Mark CHI Brown, Reggie PHI Burress, Plaxico NYG Colston, Marques NOS Galloway, Joey TBB Hackett, D.J. SEA Marshall, Brandon DENMiller, Heath PIT Scheffler, Tony DEN Nugent, Mike NYJ Packers, Green Bay Brooks, Aaron OAK Garrard, David JAC Gradkowski, Bruce TBB Jackson, Tarvaris MIN Vick, Michael ATL Young, Vince TEN Barlow, Kevan NYJ Calhoun, Brian DETJackson, Steven STL Maroney, Laurence NEP Washington, Leon NYJ Westbrook, Brian PHI Battle, Arnaz SFO Driver, Donald GBP Floyd, Malcom SDC Gabriel, Doug OAK Holt, Torry STLParker, Eric SDC Smith, Rod DEN Ward, Hines PIT Williams, Mike DET Baker, Chris NYJ Clark, Dallas IND Clark, Desmond CHI Lindell, Rian BUF Vikings, Minnesota
Getting Brian Westbrook in the 22nd round makes me think that 12 owners forgot about Him.Than one guy said, wait Westbrook is still available. WOW.Youth kills in a Dynasty Leagues. Teams play to win 5 years from now. :rolleyes: Never will get that. :shrug: But that works for me. :excited:
The draft where Westbrook went in the 22nd was actually a 2003 draft.I think he was a 1st or 2nd round pick in this league.

This team went 9-3 last season and had a first round bye in the playoffs. Current roster:Ben RoethlisbergerKurt WarnerTrent EdwardsAaron RodgersAdrian PetersonReggie BushChester TaylorMusa SmithMewelde MooreLarry FitzgeraldSantonio HolmesSantana MossLaveranues ColesSidney RiceMark ClaytonBernard BerrianLaurent RobinsonReggie WilliamsMichal ClaytonDerek HaganJohnnie Lee HigginsDevard DarlingJeremy ShockeyMarcedes LewisStephen GostkowskiChargers D1.08, 3.05, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11 rookie picks
So of course you have Fitz as the #1 wr in a Dynasty League. ;) You lost last(2006) year, to get All Day. :rolleyes: As I'm sure you know, your one RB from being a top 4 team.At 1.8 you won't get that guy, so I guess your working on trading for one, or trading up to 1.3 or higher.Keep talking down McFadden maybe you can get that guy to trade you the 1.1 pick. :shrug: But your team looks 100 times better now than when you drafted that team.Good Job. :excited:

Your WR-core looks great. Are you looking to trade Santana Moss or think he'll rebound in '08?
No, I actually traded for him this offseason. I gave up LenDale and 2.11 for Moss and 3.10. Keep in mind that this is a PPR league with flexibile starting lineups (1 RB, 1 WR, 3 FLEX, 1 TE). That devalues most RBs and puts a premium on WRs. I think Santana is a solid WR with 4-6 good years left in the tank. He seemed like a decent buy low candidate given his struggles. I think we could see a rebirth like we did with Joey Galloway and Terry Glenn. At worst he'll be bye week and injury fill in for me.

This team went 9-3 last season and had a first round bye in the playoffs. Current roster:Ben RoethlisbergerKurt WarnerTrent EdwardsAaron RodgersAdrian PetersonReggie BushChester TaylorMusa SmithMewelde MooreLarry FitzgeraldSantonio HolmesSantana MossLaveranues ColesSidney RiceMark ClaytonBernard BerrianLaurent RobinsonReggie WilliamsMichal ClaytonDerek HaganJohnnie Lee HigginsDevard DarlingJeremy ShockeyMarcedes LewisStephen GostkowskiChargers D1.08, 3.05, 3.07, 3.10, 3.11 rookie picks
So of course you have Fitz as the #1 wr in a Dynasty League. ;) You lost last(2006) year, to get All Day. :X As I'm sure you know, your one RB from being a top 4 team.At 1.8 you won't get that guy, so I guess your working on trading for one, or trading up to 1.3 or higher.Keep talking down McFadden maybe you can get that guy to trade you the 1.1 pick. :P But your team looks 100 times better now than when you drafted that team.Good Job. :thumbup:
I'm actually not looking to acquire any more RBs. RBs get hurt a lot and most of them don't score many points in this format. We only have to start one (with the option to start as many as four). I think I'm in good shape moving forward with Peterson and Bush. All I'm looking to do right now is stockpile talent.

On my DFFL team below, I have Portis R.Bush L.White C.Perry B.Calhoun V.Morency L.Betts and C.Cobb.  Right now i can get a Ruben Droughans or C.Brown type for a C.Perry deal. zI rather have a guys with Stud potential than just a stop gap starter.

I'm with you there. I'd be avoiding potential stop-gap guys like Droughns and Parker in dynasty drafts. You can get backs with similar talent at a fraction of the cost and with those early picks, I'd much rather have a top WR, QB, or TE than a third tier RB.
Did the drafting young pedigree players value theory actually work? The two players that were originally drafted after the 7th round that currently have the most value are Santano Holmes and Reggie Williams. It seems you benifited most from your initially team being a complete bust and getting the 1st round pick in 2007. If fact, maybe your myopic draft theory prevented you from grabbing other talented players (Parker?). There is more than one way of winning a dynasty league.

Did the drafting young pedigree players value theory actually work? The two players that were originally drafted after the 7th round that currently have the most value are Santano Holmes and Reggie Williams. It seems you benifited most from your initially team being a complete bust and getting the 1st round pick in 2007. If fact, maybe your myopic draft theory prevented you from grabbing other talented players (Parker?). There is more than one way of winning a dynasty league.
I'd hesitate to call my draft a complete bust. My first six picks:Reggie Bush

Larry Fitzgerald

Ben Roethlisberger

Jeremy Shockey

LenDale White

Laveranues Coles

All of those guys played a big role in leading my team to the #2 scoring position this season. Bernard Berrian was another key contributor and he's another guy who I picked up in part because of his pedigree. Santonio Holmes is another and so was Aaron Rodgers, who is looking like he might give me a solid backup behind Roethlisberger.

Also, I traded Matt Jones for a 2008 1st (became the 1.08) and traded Chad Jackson and two 4th round picks this preseason for Trent Edwards and a 3rd round pick. I also traded Alex Smith for Chester Taylor. So I think I was able to make my strategy work pretty well. I now have a nice nucleus of young talent. Did it help my cause getting Adrian Peterson? Definitely, but my team would still be in decent shape if I hadn't gotten him.

And believe me, I'm not losing sleep over missing out on Willie Parker.

EBF said:
Donnybrook said:

Larry Fitzgerald

Ben Roethlisberger

Jeremy Shockey

LenDale White

Laveranues Coles

All of those guys played a big role in leading my team to the #2 scoring position this season. Bernard Berrian was another key contributor and he's another guy who I picked up in part because of his pedigree. Santonio Holmes is another and so was Aaron Rodgers, who is looking like he might give me a solid backup behind Roethlisberger.

Also, I traded Matt Jones for a 2008 1st (became the 1.08) and traded Chad Jackson and two 4th round picks this preseason for Trent Edwards and a 3rd round pick. I also traded Alex Smith for Chester Taylor. So I think I was able to make my strategy work pretty well. I now have a nice nucleus of young talent. Did it help my cause getting Adrian Peterson? Definitely, but my team would still be in decent shape if I hadn't gotten him.

Excellent job on the trades. (I don't think anyone in my league would trade me a single 6th round pick for Chad Jackson despite his pedigree.) I agree your team may be in decent shape without ADP but I don't believe your team would come even close to winning a championship without him. I remember there was a debate prior to the season and you were adamant on advising people not to draft Bradshaw before the 4th round because he lacked pedigree. All I am saying is that one of these guys that you disregard because of draft position might be able to help you win a game or two along the way.

EBF said:
Donnybrook said:

Larry Fitzgerald

Ben Roethlisberger

Jeremy Shockey

LenDale White

Laveranues Coles

Excellent job on the trades. (I don't think anyone in my league would trade me a single 6th round pick for Chad Jackson despite his pedigree.) I agree your team may be in decent shape without ADP but I don't believe your team would come even close to winning a championship without him. I remember there was a debate prior to the season and you were adamant on advising people not to draft Bradshaw before the 4th round because he lacked pedigree. All I am saying is that one of these guys that you disregard because of draft position might be able to help you win a game or two along the way.
Most late round guys aren't worth a second thought. That's not my opinion. That's a fact. Everyone will drag out guys like Ryan Grant, Earnest Graham, Selvin Young, and Ahmad Bradshaw as examples to prove me wrong, but the overwhelming majority of the RBs chosen in rounds 5-7 never become worthwhile FF options. When you look at the RBs who have been starting for an NFL team for at least two consecutive years, you'll note that almost all of them were chosen in rounds 1-3. So I'm automatically biased against late round RBs. That's the attitude that the odds tell me to adopt. However, I am flexible in my opinions and I will give a player a chance if there's reason to believe he could surprise. I ended up drafting Bradshaw at 2.07 in a 14 team RB heavy scoring dynasty league before the season started because he was generating a lot of buzz in training camp. That's worked out well so far.

Users who are viewing this thread