What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Kelvin Harmon WR Redskins (1 Viewer)

Such an interesting slide for him.  He's a legit WR so we'll see where he goes when/if he gets picked at this point.  

Rotoworld take:

Redskins selected N.C. State WR Kelvin Harmon with the No. 206 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Harmon (6’2/221) turned pro as a true junior after logging a career 177/2,665/16 (15.1 YPR) receiving line in three seasons, exhibiting plus play strength, strong hands, and a my-ball mentality against ACC coverage. Harmon’s athletic limitations were revealed in Indy with a 4.6-flat forty, 32 ½-inch vertical, and sluggish 7.15 three-cone time. A high-production possession receiver with a low ceiling, Harmon would do well to carve out a Mohamed Sanu-level career. Washington entered the draft looking for a No. 1 receiver, but Harmon is unlikely to be it.

Apr 27, 2019, 2:40 PM

There's a difference between falling a round or 2 and being picked in the 6th round.
Every mock, every rankings had him in the 2/3 round range.   I think the GM's drastically failed here.  Not saying he is tom brady but sometimes they just miss.  Caveat, I watched 99% of his snaps at NCSU.  The kid is good, speed or no speed he catches the ball in traffic and is a monster when it comes to jump balls.  His combine stats are similar to moose muhammed who I think is the spitting image of this kid.

The main weakness I saw with Harmon is he really struggled against press coverage at times. That may have turned teams off about him.

Every mock, every rankings had him in the 2/3 round range.   I think the GM's drastically failed here.  Not saying he is tom brady but sometimes they just miss.  Caveat, I watched 99% of his snaps at NCSU.  The kid is good, speed or no speed he catches the ball in traffic and is a monster when it comes to jump balls.  His combine stats are similar to moose muhammed who I think is the spitting image of this kid.
Good college player but clearly a fantasy media creation. He didn’t test well, didn’t hit the performance metrics and was passed over150 times by NFL teams.

Good news is that there really isn't any major competition for him to become something.  Terry McLaurin who is a different type of receiver and Trey Quinn from last year.  That's not exactly threatening to Kelvin Harmon who is a big imposing dude.  

IDK man, I usually go with the NFL over mocks and fantasy experts.

I know you know how ridiculous that argument is 
Not ridiculous at all.  The point is that guys grow, improve, work hard, get better.  James, Harrison, Antonio Brown, Terrell Davis, the NFL is an equal opportunity stage.  Teams get stuff wrong sometimes, and there's a very thin line between good enough to stay and afterthought in this league.  It's well within his (and many others') reach.

Not ridiculous at all.  The point is that guys grow, improve, work hard, get better.  James, Harrison, Antonio Brown, Terrell Davis, the NFL is an equal opportunity stage.  Teams get stuff wrong sometimes, and there's a very thin line between good enough to stay and afterthought in this league.  It's well within his (and many others') reach.
Of course he could end up being a good player or even the greatest of all time. The landing spot was good. 

Now I have to break one of my rules when it comes to rookie rankings.  I have a general rule that nobody outside the top120 drafted in the NFL draft can be put in my top20.  I have to break that with Kelvin Harmon now.  Thanks a lot.  

Now I have to break one of my rules when it comes to rookie rankings.  I have a general rule that nobody outside the top120 drafted in the NFL draft can be put in my top20.  I have to break that with Kelvin Harmon now.  Thanks a lot.  
Rules are meant to be broken but so are rulebreakers.😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I spent 2 months thinking that Harmon was super overrated and couldn't see any reason he should be a high pick. Now he goes in the 6th round, and my 1st thought is, you know I didn't dislike him that much, and now I'll be targeting him in round 3. Strange how that works sometimes.

Washington's depth chart at WR is 100% wide open. Harmon absolutely could end up starting as a rookie. I like McLaurin a little more, probably due to already playing with Haskins, but they could end up being the 1-2 this year. Richardson and Doctson are stopping anyone from getting playing time.

Redskins rookie minicamp observations: Notes on Haskins, McLaurin, undrafted guys and more

Excerpt:

Gruden spoke highly of many youngsters while at the podium, including Kelvin Harmon. The head coach compared Harmon to Mohamed Sanu, whom he coached while with the Bengals, and thinks he can work inside at some point in addition to his duties as the Z on the outside. 

Harmon met with reporters walking off the field and got the chance to reflect on the NFL.com draft profile that said he plays with a "big-dog swagger." He agrees with the evaluation. "It comes from my competitive nature," he explained. "I'm always trying to bully the guy in front of me, whether I have to block him or win the route... Always trying to win every 1-on-1 battle." That's a good quote.

Just an amateur viewing game highlights he seems to have a similar game as Miles Boykin. Good hands, big bodied pass catcher. Just comparing the two on highlights I thought Harmon would have had more speed but the combine shows differently. They look pretty similar to me even though Boykin blew up the no-pads party.

Just an amateur viewing game highlights he seems to have a similar game as Miles Boykin. Good hands, big bodied pass catcher. Just comparing the two on highlights I thought Harmon would have had more speed but the combine shows differently. They look pretty similar to me even though Boykin blew up the no-pads party.
Even though Harmon tanked and Boykins blew up in NFL Combine, both had a different QB in passing competency, one couldn't throw sh*ts (Brandon Wambush) and another was highly accurate (Ryan Finley).  I am still believer in Harmon in Redskins, however, he still have a lot of grounds to cover.  After all, Redskins drafted their QB-of-their-future's favorite WR in Terry McLaurin.  

Even though Harmon tanked and Boykins blew up in NFL Combine, both had a different QB in passing competency, one couldn't throw sh*ts (Brandon Wambush) and another was highly accurate (Ryan Finley).  I am still believer in Harmon in Redskins, however, he still have a lot of grounds to cover.  After all, Redskins drafted their QB-of-their-future's favorite WR in Terry Laurin.  
Again, couch guy here....just found Boykin’s highlights way less explosive than his combine. Harmon seemed to have more juice and I would have guessed he performed better at the combine compared to Miles. 

Again, couch guy here....just found Boykin’s highlights way less explosive than his combine. Harmon seemed to have more juice and I would have guessed he performed better at the combine compared to Miles. 
Yeah and at least Harmon now has a chip-in-the-shoulder as motivation to ensure his roster space.  The only positive in his current situation is that Redskins lack receivers.  

Even though Harmon tanked and Boykins blew up in NFL Combine, both had a different QB in passing competency, one couldn't throw sh*ts (Brandon Wambush) and another was highly accurate (Ryan Finley).  I am still believer in Harmon in Redskins, however, he still have a lot of grounds to cover.  After all, Redskins drafted their QB-of-their-future's favorite WR in Terry Laurin.  
Ryan Finley is a poor man's Andy Dalton in terms of arm strength, which made it hard for Harmon to do much after the catch.  I watched so much Harmon that it literally drove me crazy for a second how Finley constantly underthrew him.  But that's the case with most of these college QB's, not quite good enough to put their skill players in the best possible position.  I didn't see that out of Boykin because they used him on these short routes all the time.  Finley is definitely better than Wambush was but from my amateur eye's, neither one helped their WR's succeed to their potential.  

I don't know what kind of offensive scheme or philosophy they both had, but I have to imagine NC State had more of a down the field approach.  It showcased at least some of Harmons ability.  Still not good enough for NFL evaluators I guess. 

Why all this Wimbush talk? Ian Book was Notre Dame's main QB this year, and was the quarterback on the majority of Boykin's career receptions, and he's pretty good.

Anyone in a Washington know what’s up with Harmon disappearing last week? Trying to determine whether to keep or into other WR prospects 

The lack of response makes me think there could be better options out there. People were high on Harmon pre the draft. What happened to this guy???

i remember someone saying he only lined up on one side of the field in college. Is he just not that good?

Anyone in a Washington know what’s up with Harmon disappearing last week? Trying to determine whether to keep or into other WR prospects 
Not in Washington but after a quick look at snap count he was scaled back from week 1 to week 2.  Maybe this is due to Paul Richardson being healthy and easing him back into the starter role?  

There's no WR on that entire team that is #1 worthy to me.  McLaurin is a nice story, but it won't last.  Other than that it's anyones job.  Kelvin at least is in their plans right now, depends on how he does with his opportunity of course, but he's the one with the highest ceiling on that team.  I'd be holding and staying patient.  It's only a matter of time before Richardson gets hurt, and Haskins is the starter.  Could lead to a lot of changes in that WR group.  

The lack of response makes me think there could be better options out there. People were high on Harmon pre the draft. What happened to this guy???

i remember someone saying he only lined up on one side of the field in college. Is he just not that good?
He had a mediocre combine.

He was drafted in round 6

He didn't make any noise in the off-season.

He didn't stand out in training camp, nor in pre-season games.

It's likely that draft pundits were looking at a lot of his college box scores and not actually looking at the tape.  No one outside of NFL circles will really know.

It's very possible that he's just not that good when compared to NFL talent.  It's also possible that he develops in the NFL and makes something of himself.

Kelvin Harmon caught 5-of-6 targets for 53 yards in the Redskins' Week 11 loss to the Jets.

With Paul Richardson sidelined, Harmon entered the fold for Washington, and he did just fine. His biggest play of the game was a 24-yarder, which was a sample of what he did at NC State (15.1 YPR). The sixth-round rookie isn't going to be a fantasy starter in 2020, but he is a low-level dynasty option as a potential Redskins starter in 2020.

Kelvin Harmon caught 3-of-5 targets for 51 yards in the Redskins' Week 13 win over the Panthers.

Harmon is playing but can't be trusted in fantasy with the Redskins looking to run whenever possible. Terry McLaurin is still the No. 1 target and only receiver worth owning in standard-sized leagues. Harmon is a deep, deep sleeper in dynasty leagues with a path to playing time.

Dec 1, 2019, 5:05 PM ET

Getting more and more playing time lately.  Starting to do more with those targets too.  Great stash for end of season/next year if you're not contending. 

Anyone think Washington goes for an early WR next year or just continues with Harmon/McLaurin as the top2 and fills depth everywhere else in their rebuild?  

Getting more and more playing time lately.  Starting to do more with those targets too.  Great stash for end of season/next year if you're not contending. 

Anyone think Washington goes for an early WR next year or just continues with Harmon/McLaurin as the top2 and fills depth everywhere else in their rebuild?  
Filing out the rest of their roster would be the smart thing to do.

When has Washington done the smart thing though?

Users who are viewing this thread