What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty League Poll - What Type of League Do You Play In? (1 Viewer)

Is your Dynasty League Best Ball?

• Yes, it is Best Ball and scoring is optimized with the highest scoring players from our rosters.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • No, we set a roster each week and bench players can not score.

Votes: 72 93.5%

• Total voters

Lehigh98

Footballguy
It seems like dynasty leagues are getting more popular but I'm wondering what is the most popular format.

Please answer the following questions considering your "main" league / majority of your leagues / or just your preferred format.

TIA!

You forgot to add in info about the start up draft......auction (the only right answer) vs random draft

Salary Cap/ Keeper (Keep up to 4 players, 18 total roster spots)/ 10 teams.

If I have only one suggestion- if your league is dynasty or keeper, the best way to allocate players is auction format. There is much information regarding how the high end picks in snake drafts lead to competitive disadvantages, even in third round reversals.

If I have only one suggestion- if your league is dynasty or keeper, the best way to allocate players is auction format. There is much information regarding how the high end picks in snake drafts lead to competitive disadvantages, even in third round reversals.
Not to mention auctions are much more fun, especially if you can manage an in-person auction.

To me it's not even about a perceived (real or not) advantage to an early pick.  It's about the fact you are creating a team you are going to live and die with for many years and through the luck of the draw you may not even have an opportunity at your favorite player.   For dynasty, you need the opportunity to build around any player you want.  Every owner should have that chance.  A draft doesn't allow that to happen.

Ignored the “main league” part and went with preferred format. SF, IDP.  I’m only in three leagues now, two are 16 team which would make SF really tough. But for 12 team or less, I’m definitely in favor of SF. 

Question #4 - I voted No to Best Ball, but we use Best Ball format to determine Draft Order. 

My primary Dyno league uses "Total Potential Points" for the Draft Order for the following year to prevent "tanking" or failure to start a proper lineup. 

Question #4 - I voted No to Best Ball, but we use Best Ball format to determine Draft Order. 

My primary Dyno league uses "Total Potential Points" for the Draft Order for the following year to prevent "tanking" or failure to start a proper lineup. 
Yo Birdie, how are you doing??

To me it's not even about a perceived (real or not) advantage to an early pick.  It's about the fact you are creating a team you are going to live and die with for many years and through the luck of the draw you may not even have an opportunity at your favorite player.   For dynasty, you need the opportunity to build around any player you want.  Every owner should have that chance.  A draft doesn't allow that to happen.
Over the years I found that for “local leagues”, a snake draft is the best option. Almost without fail, 2–3 teams didn’t have a chance after the auction draft. I fully understand that that is their problem, but it really makes the league less fun overall. 
I understand that my experience may not be the same as others

The one thing I wish our league did would be the ability to draft devy/college players. I think I'll give it one more try this year to get something passed. I've given up attempting to add IDP to our rosters. (Seems it's too much work for most of the guys to deal with.)

We are entering our 21st season this year. I'm kicking around a few ideas for adding devy/college players to our rosters during our draft in late August. I'm thinking of limiting options to college freshman/sophomores while also limiting adding a maximum of two players (one from each class,) to fantasy rosters. Additionally, I'm unsure if I want to require teams to make devy selections or if I just want to give teams the option to do so. 

Any devy suggestions would be appreciated if anyone wants to chime in with their experiences or league setups.

Rody

The one thing I wish our league did would be the ability to draft devy/college players. I think I'll give it one more try this year to get something passed. I've given up attempting to add IDP to our rosters. (Seems it's too much work for most of the guys to deal with.)

We are entering our 21st season this year. I'm kicking around a few ideas for adding devy/college players to our rosters during our draft in late August. I'm thinking of limiting options to college freshman/sophomores while also limiting adding a maximum of two players (one from each class,) to fantasy rosters. Additionally, I'm unsure if I want to require teams to make devy selections or if I just want to give teams the option to do so. 

Any devy suggestions would be appreciated if anyone wants to chime in with their experiences or league setups.

Rody
I think this (prepping for Devy) would be more work than adding IDP (from an owner standpoint).

Anyway, I would suggest keeping it simple and minor as to not kill your rookie draft.  I would go with the two total (one from each class) and I would make it optional.  As part of the rookie draft you can take a devy player if you want with the limits presented.  That way teams can use it if they want and don't have to if they don't want to.  Maximum flexibility is always good.

Last edited by a moderator:

The main downside of adding devy players is the depletion of the rookie draft from players that are already on rosters.  A league I joined last year (and then copied to create my own league) has 24 teams and two copies of all players so rosters look about the same as a 12 man league.  The best part is that only one copy of the devy players is available to draft before they enter the NFL (so drafting a '23 eligible or '24 eligible player in the 2022 rookie draft) so that there will be at least one copy of every rookie ('22 eligible) available in the rookie draft.  Depleted rookie drafts would probably be enough to keep me from devy leagues but this is a great solution.

I would suggest avoiding going by the devy players class (Frosh, Soph, etc) and go by their eligibility ('23, '24, etc).  This would probably be less confusing for when players may be available to play in the NFL and just about all of the online devy resources I've seen list players this way.   

Users who are viewing this thread