What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: One-injury-away RBs (1 Viewer)

Tick

Footballguy
I've been trying to follow the @Jordan McNamara and @Chad Parsons recommended approach in dynasty leagues, getting a few strong WRs and not stashing very many WRs, instead stocking up on backup QBs and RBs.  It seems effective - I got a lot of games out of Mike Davis, Giovani Bernard, Jerick McKinnon, Carlos Hyde, AJ Dillon, Latavius Murray types last season and pieced together good RB play even if I lack high-end RB talent or lost Barkley/McCaffrey all season.

So, who's worth stashing prior to the draft?  I'm thinking of guys who are one injury away from taking over a nice role.

My thoughts:

• NEP: Nobody - even with White and Burkhead gone, they'll just add more bodies and dilute everything.
  • MIA: Not sure - Malcolm Brown muddies things.  It seems like if Gaskin got hurt again, they'd have a split.
  • NYJ: No idea - new coach, no holdover, unclear backup last year... what a mess.  I stashed Perine as a guess.
  • BUF: Both are already low-starter costs, so this doesn't really apply.
  • BAL: Gus bus! I think he would explode if Dobbins got hurt.
  • CIN: Giovani Bernard used to be a model for this, but was pretty weak when he was the starter - maybe him, maybe Trayveon Williams? I guess that's the answer - nobody.
  • CLE: Both are already low-starter costs, so this doesn't really apply.
  • PIT: No idea - Snell, I guess? Does Conner return on a cheap deal?
  • HOU: New coach, new players... really tough to guess.
  • IND: Marlon Mack if he's cheap enough, I'd say.
  • JAC: Hyde, probably. Not sure what Ryquell Armstead is at this point.
  • TEN: Darrynton Evans, I'd guess.
  • DEN: I know most would say Boone, but I'd put a chip on Royce Freeman if he fell through the cracks.
  • KCC: Darrel Williams looks like a perfect fit.
  • LVR: Drake, though he's probably still too expensive.
  • LAC: I'd go strong on Ballage - Kelly and Jackson got chances, then Ballage had the most snaps every game W10 onward.

• DAL: Pollard!  Too expensive, though.
  • NYG: Devontae Booker screams out to me - the rest of the guys are likely gone.
  • PHI: Boston Scott, though he wasn't great last season.
  • WAS: A mess.  Too many guys.
  • CHI: Tarik Cohen if you can get him, not sure if they'd give him the full load though.
  • DET: Tough call - probably a committee, assuming they don't cut Kerryon.
  • GBP: Dillon is perfect for this, but he's expensive.
  • MIN: Mattison - might be able to get him cheaper after last season.
  • ATL: Messy. I guess Hill and Gurley are FAs, so right now it's Ito Smith behind Mike Davis?
  • CAR: No idea. Bonnafon?
  • NOS: Latavius Murray again. Mr. Variance.
  • TBB: Uh... Ronald Jones starts, Ke'Shawn Vaughn the hand grenade?
  • ARI: Eno Benjamin - I hadn't realized it, he might be valuable here. Ugly depth chart.
  • SFO: Mostert starts, Jeff Wilson is the backup without Coleman and McKinnon? Hasty? Wilson slays when he starts.
  • SEA: Rashaad Penny! Seems like a great candidate assuming his price has come down.  Did hit waivers in some of my leagues.
  • LAR: Darrell Henderson is a great candidate.

Lots of good backups.  Like Henderson on the cheap.  This landscape could change a lot after the draft, but I won’t be going hog wild on any RB drafted 4th round or later.

Jamaal Williams in Detroit. One of the better backups and they seem committed to running the ball more than they have in the past.
I just don't know how Kerryon Johnson fits in... I could see him as a scratch during normal games due to special teams, then moving into the vacated role if either Swift or Williams got hurt.

• CLE: Both are already low-starter costs, so this doesn't really apply.
Not a 2021 draft thing, but I was under the impression that if something happened to Chubb or Hunt, D’Ernest Johnson would be next in line for more play. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a 2021 draft thing, but I was under the impression that if something happened to Chubb or Hunt, D’Ernest Johnson would be next in mine for more play. 
Probably, but I have to think the surviving Chubb/Hunt would expand their role and Johnson would be unstartable.

Probably, but I have to think the surviving Chubb/Hunt would expand their role and Johnson would be unstartable.
Hunt wasn't exactly knocking it out of the ballpark last season when Chubb went down.  Could have been the design of the Browns offense, or it could be that he was perfectly suited for the KC offense and not where he's currently employed.

Carolina article that has no conclusion about who’s the backup. A follow-up article after Davis left didn’t add any info, but hinted at a FA or draftee to fill the role.

I'd imagine that he's a guy who gets signed after the draft when a team who wants to add to their RB room can't get the guy they want in the 4th, 5th round.
Amazing considering how ridiculously productive he was behind a bad OL.

Dude was my IDP redraft league MVP when I had injuries. Helped me cash in 3rd place. :wub:  that dude. 

But you’re most likely correct. I could see him as a panther backing up CMC, or any number of teams, really. 

Like Big Shoots birthday party, this offseason has been super soft for so many of the FA RB & WR. 

Must be the reduced cap. 

Mattison for me.    Bought him for a 3rd and 4 pick bump in the late second round.   I think he is a starter once his rookie deal is up

Damien Williams to the Bears. I expect he'd step into the Montgomery role if there's an injury, with Cohen's workload only expanding a little. (At least for now; they could still add more competition for that backup role.)

Tevin Coleman to Jets - probably the end of the Perine dream, though I'll hold him until we see how training camp looks.

Tevin Coleman to Jets - probably the end of the Perine dream, though I'll hold him until we see how training camp looks.
Possible. Also possible that it’s a RBBC. I don’t see why they’d move on from Perine so quickly. He showed well at times. 

Coleman value at one year for two million isn't exactly sky high. He did little behind a good offensive line last year. Yeah, he was hurt, but that always seems to be the issue with Coleman, so how much he impedes Perine is up for question.

I think the Jets take a running back in the third or fourth, if you ask me.

I wouldn’t be so sure. Coleman’s performance last year was frightful. I think they still add another RB though 
It was bad. He didn't look comfortable taking any sort of hit nor was he even running comfortably, really. Perhaps it was because of his knee injury. We won't know until next year starts. Mostert, when healthy, was clearly the lead back in SF and even Jeff Wilson did way more with his touches than Coleman. So we will see. Coleman is getting up there in years and is hardly at peak age right now. I think he's 28 or will be 28 when the season starts. (I just looked that up. He will be.)

I am a Jets fan. I don't like this signing as of today. 

Familiarity signing, IMO LeFleur is a first time (NFL) OC and wanted a veteran guy who knows the offense he’ll be installing. All three of his previous assistant coaching gigs have been under Kyle Shanahan. This will be third offensive team he has coached with TC on the roster.

Details usually come after a few days, would be shocked if it’s a straight $2M cap hit - probably like (guessing) $1.25-1.5 with incentives.

He played like a trash bag last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread