What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Post Draft Rookie Rankings Top 24 (1 Viewer)

tdmills

Footballguy
Since I broke down each of their games from film in my pre-combine ranking list, I’ll mainly discuss situation/combine.

Here are my pre combine rankings http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=703612&hl=

1) Mike Evans WR Tampa Bay

6-4 3/4 231 Texas A&M

4.53= 40, 37=vert, 4.26= short shuttle, 7.08= 3 cone

2013- 69 1394 12

2012- 82 for 1105 5

Evans proved at the combine that he’s not a slow player and he has explosiveness(37 inch vertical). He has some concerns about short area quickness; however his spiderman like arms and frame can catch almost anything. I like his landing spot in Tampa Bay. It’s a warm weather city, where he doesn’t have the pressure to produce right away. He can learn from Vincent Jackson and see single coverage for the first 2 seasons before he takes over as the man in year three. I can easily see this as a Fitz/Floyd or Marshall/Jeffery situation where both players can produce in a single offense. Josh McCown showed he can produce with big WRs last season and Tampa will likely draft another QB soon to be the future. Granted I know Evans as #1 and Watkins as #2 is unpopular, I just see a higher ceiling with Evans. Oddly enough he had a better vertical and short shuttle than Watkins.

2) Sammy Watkins WR Buffalo

6-0 3/4 211 Clemson

4.43=40, 34=vert, 4.34=short shuttle, 6.95=cone, 10’6=broad jump

2013- 101 for 1464 12

2012- 57 for 708 3

2011- 82 for 1219 12

Watkins’ combine performance has cemented my thoughts of him as a FF WR2. He isn’t sudden or blazing fast and I think for a WR below 6’2 you need one of those two things to happen. I don’t like the thought of him landing in a cold weather city with EJ Manuel throwing him the football for the next 3 seasons at a minimum(no 1st rounder next year). Buffalo overpaid to move up and get him, so I assume they will give him many opportunities. He will still be a solid player in the NFL and likely a WR2-3 for most of his career.

3) Brandin Cooks WR New Orleans

5-9 3/4 189 Oregon State

4.33=40, 36=vert, 3.81=short shuttle, 6.76=3 cone, 10’=broad jump

2013- 128 for 1730 16

2012- 67 for 1151 5

2011- 31 for 391 3

I’m kicking myself for not trusting my gut on Brandin Cooks, I was worried the NFL wouldn’t like him due to his size. But I was proven wrong by the Saints trading up to obtain the turbo charged WR. Cooks blew up the Combine and measured in bigger than I had thought; he actually has the same size hands as Watkins. Cooks enters an offense desperate for a playmaker with Lance Moore/Sproles gone and Colston near the end of the road. I look for Cooks to explode out of the gates with Sean Payton designing plays and Drew Brees picking apart defenses. The concerns for Cooks are defenders getting their hands on him and Brees already being 35. But one thing you don’t have to be worried about is his character because this is what he did with his combine winnings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzmBWiyIS6A

4) Bishop Sankey RB Tennessee

5-10 203 Washington

40=4.49, 26=bench, 35.5=vert, 4.00=SS, 6.75=3 cone, Broad=10’6

2013- 327 for 1870 5.7 20 TD, 28 rec 304 1 TD

2012- 289 for 1439 5.0 16 TD, 33 rec for 249 0 TD

2011- 89 for 187 6.7 1 TD, 6 rec for 14 0 TD

Sankey separated himself at the combine with a great performance showing that he was the most complete RB in this draft. He’s fast enough, quick enough, and plays good enough to be a RB1 in the NFL. He’s good at everything, but not great at any one thing which is why he wasn’t high on some people’s lists prior to the combine. Now he lands in a perfect situation in Tennessee where the only thing he might lose out on is goal line carries in year one. I see Sankey as having a Matt Forte type of career where he never fully gets the respect he deserves and tends to always be a good value.

5) Marqise Lee WR Jacksonville

5-11 3/4 192 USC

4.52=40, 38=vert, 4.01= short shuttle, 10’7=broad jump

2013- 57 for 791 4

2012- 118 for 1721 14

2011- 73 for 1143 11

I thought Lee performed well at the combine by making some dynamic receptions and showing off his athleticism. His 40 was a little slower than I wanted, but his game speed his faster than that. Lee lands in a perfect situation in Jacksonville with a brand new QB with a great arm and plenty of targets. Shorts is an UFA after the season, Blackmon looks to be done in Jacksonville, no TE threat to speak of, no dynamic RB to get 50+ receptions and Allen Robinson is still raw. I look for Lee to gain at least an 800 yard rookie season and really make people eat their words about his junior season.

6) Odell Beckham Jr WR NYG

5-11 1/4 198 LSU

4.43=40, 38.5=vertical, 3.94=short shuttle, 6.69=3 cone, 10’2=broad jump

2013- 59 for 1152 8

2012- 43 for 713 2

2011- 41 for 475 2

This may come as a surprise, but I don’t like OBJ’s landing spot. Cruz, Jernigan, and OBJ remind me of the same type of player. They still have Randle and Cruz is signed for 5 more seasons. I like OBJ quite a bit, but combine that with Eli Manning has looked poor the last couple of seasons and I’m not as thrilled about his upcoming FF potential. I think OBJ will be a much better FF player 3-4 years from now, but not initially. With that said, OBJ is a hard worker, great in the open field, good hands, and showed at the combine what I saw film…stud athlete.

7) Eric Ebron TE Detroit

6’4 3/8 250 North Carolina

40=4.6, 24=bench, Vert=32, Broad=10’0

Ebron lands in a great spot in Detroit and will have opportunities in single coverage with Calvin. However, Ebron didn’t dominate the combine like a Vernon Davis TE freak and he is just too raw of a player. He’s lazy in his routes, has questionable hands, and doesn’t always have that go up and get the ball attitude. He has potential and flashes some of these traits, which is all you need to be a high pick at the TE position.

When I get time i'll unpack the rest of these, bu.t figured I would get them out to you guys now.

8) Carlos Hyde RB San Fransisco

I really like Hyde's landing spot for 2015 and beyond, but not for 2014. His ranking at #8 is just an indication of how much WR talent is in front of him. I think Marcus Lattimore is very overrated as a pure runner, although I commend him for his ability to fight back. Hyde is a much better overall player. Kaepernick with that OL, with Crabtree and other WRs...sounds like a great situation for Hyde in 2015.

9) Jordan Matthews WR Philadelphia

6'3 1/8 212 Vandy

4.46=40, 4.18=short shuttle, 21=bench, 35.5=vertical, 6.95=3 cone, 10=broad jump

As I said in the pre-combine, Matthews was underrated going into the combine and he impressed me. Much quicker than I thought and solid all around. Matthews isn't going to dazzle you, just Mr. Consistency. Matthews is a Chip Kelly guy because he's smart ( http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304422704579572050338722302?tesla=y ) , reliable, and is a willing blocker. Desean Jackson is gone with all his yardage and Riley Cooper went 47 for 835 8. I think Matthews can at least put up those numbers, just unsure of how soon. I think he will live in the WR2-WR4 role in FF for his career.

10) DaVante Adams WR Green Bay

6'0 7/8 212 Fresno State

4.56=40, 4.3=short shuttle, 14=bench, 39.5=vertical, 6.82=3 cone, 10'3=broad

Adams landed in a perfect situation for his game. Adams is great at positioning, high pointing the football, and can make the tough catches with defenders drapped all over him. Rodgers is great at placing footballs where his WRs can make a play. Adams has a high ceiling depending on if Nelson or Cobb leave.

11) Tre Mason RB St Louis

12) Cody Latimer WR Denver

13) Kelvin Benjamin WR Carolina

14) Allen Robinson WR Jacksonville

15) Donte Moncrief WR Indianapolis

16) Devonta Freeman RB Atlanta

17) Jace Amaro TE NYJ

18) Johnny Manziel QB Cleveland

19) Jeremy Hill RB Cincinnati

20) Paul Richardson WR Seattle

21) Jerick McKinnon RB Minnesota

22) Kadeem Carey RB Chicago

23) Jarvis Landry WR Miami

24) Austin Seferian Jenkins TE Tampa Bay

Last edited by a moderator:
nice work...

i'll wait for you to get to the end here since i'm interested to see why you're so down on ASJ (especially related to the comments you had on ebron)

I don't see how you have Lee over Robinson. And Robinson is "raw"? Not any more than Lee. I was watching video of the Jags Rookie Mini-camp. It's Lee who's getting extra instruction on this routes.

I don't see how you have Lee over Robinson. And Robinson is "raw"? Not any more than Lee. I was watching video of the Jags Rookie Mini-camp. It's Lee who's getting extra instruction on this routes.
You could tell that Lee was getting more instruction than Robinson at rookie camp, specific to route running even, based on internet videos? :lol:

You could tell that Lee was getting more instruction than Robinson at rookie camp, specific to route running even, based on internet videos? :lol:
With the detail Xue watches video I wouldn't laugh so hard

With the detail Xue watches video I wouldn't laugh so hard
:lol:

Considering your hate for Lee, I don't think this argument will go well. Robinson didn't play well against good competition, doesn't use his body well, had a poor gauntlet which shows poor under pressure.

While Lee isn't perfect, he's a competitor.

I don't think there is any room for debate on who's ceiling is higher between Mike Evans and Sammy Watkins. I can understand rating Sammy higher, even though i disagree, but Evans ceiling is best WR in the league in 3 years. Sammy isn't going to score enough TD'S to ever be the best WR in the NFL.

Considering your hate for Lee, I don't think this argument will go well. Robinson didn't play well against good competition, doesn't use his body well, had a poor gauntlet which shows poor under pressure.

While Lee isn't perfect, he's a competitor.
I think you hate Robinson more than I hate Lee. I actually like Lee, just not that much. I just don't see how he is 9 spots above Robinson. That's absurd. Robinson can easily do all the things Lee does and more.

Lee didn't look great at the Combine either. I recognize the competitor that he is, but it doesn't matter if you're doing the same wrong things over and over again.

Thanks Xue. Robinson looks very smooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgKvVTgxWgE

Keep laughing. :blush:
Someone should make a GIF of that at :22.

Linked Robinson's combine workout below. I thought he looked bad coming off the line in the 40. Sluggish start. He doesn't have the best running stride and that's probably not going away. Other than that, I thought he did fine. He looks better running out of a WR stance than he does running out of a track stance. He dropped one pass that they show in the gauntlet. Unless he dropped a bunch going the other way, I'm not seeing any cause for alarm there.

http://youtu.be/2lV1WDFm8RM

In a heads up debate of Robinson vs. Lee, the "hands" side of the equation almost certainly favors A-Rob. He had a 5.43% drop rate in college, which is actually better than average for an NCAA WR. Lee had a much more alarming 12.31%. Highest of any WR profiled in either of the two pieces. Lee drops a lot of passes. I like his explosive separation and open field skills, but the dropsies in conjunction with his slim frame and lack of sheer flat out speed are legitimate concerns.

Considering your hate for Lee, I don't think this argument will go well. Robinson didn't play well against good competition, doesn't use his body well, had a poor gauntlet which shows poor under pressure.While Lee isn't perfect, he's a competitor.
I think you hate Robinson more than I hate Lee. I actually like Lee, just not that much. I just don't see how he is 9 spots above Robinson. That's absurd. Robinson can easily do all the things Lee does and more.

Lee didn't look great at the Combine either. I recognize the competitor that he is, but it doesn't matter if you're doing the same wrong things over and over again.
You really do struggle quite a bit when someone has a different opinion than you, don't you? Kind of odd given that any rookie prognosticator is going to be dead wrong a significant amount, no matter how much film they watch. It goes with the territory.

So what do you see for Lee FF-wise? WR2? You seem to really praise him while capping Watkins. Yet he is smaller and slower than Watkins.

I hold the 1.01 pick and I am coming around to taking Mike Evans for all the reasons that you listed. Everywhere I look SW is going top but I don't like the QB or weather in Buffalo and I don't like the corners SW will be facing six times over the next few years either. Really can't wait to watch both in camp and preseason to make my pick but it really confuses me why most people are picking Sammy at an overwhelming rate. If people are picking Sankey based on situation then why not Evans over Watkins?

What's puzzling to me is in FBG rookie rankings Sammy is ranked higher but in their overall dynasty rankings and their wr rankings Evans is ranked higher. Doesn't make sense.

What's puzzling to me is in FBG rookie rankings Sammy is ranked higher but in their overall dynasty rankings and their wr rankings Evans is ranked higher. Doesn't make sense.
Maybe it's about trade value. Even if you like Evans more take Watkins because of his market value?

Linked Robinson's combine workout below. I thought he looked bad coming off the line in the 40. Sluggish start. He doesn't have the best running stride and that's probably not going away. Other than that, I thought he did fine. He looks better running out of a WR stance than he does running out of a track stance. He dropped one pass that they show in the gauntlet. Unless he dropped a bunch going the other way, I'm not seeing any cause for alarm there.

http://youtu.be/2lV1WDFm8RM

In a heads up debate of Robinson vs. Lee, the "hands" side of the equation almost certainly favors A-Rob. He had a 5.43% drop rate in college, which is actually better than average for an NCAA WR. Lee had a much more alarming 12.31%. Highest of any WR profiled in either of the two pieces. Lee drops a lot of passes. I like his explosive separation and open field skills, but the dropsies in conjunction with his slim frame and lack of sheer flat out speed are legitimate concerns.
If I remember correctly, Robinson had a ball hit him in the dome during the gauntlet.

I'd be more curious as to what Lee's drop % was in 2012. I feel like he was pressing in 2013 trying to make up for his injuries and lack of supporting cast.

Robinson beats Lee in two things: Hands + size. Lee beats Robinson is everything else.

ETA: http://dynastyleaguefootball.com/2014/04/30/b1g-receiver-analysis/

So Lee got coached and Robinson doesn't need coaching, is that your conclusion? Lee was incredibly more explosive than Robinson and I expected him to get some work on his route running. Robinson has the mentality issue(that's my ball) and competing. He doesn't use his body all that well. Also who the hell did Robinson play at CB? He didn't play Dennard and his Ohio State stats are inflated after Roby had his 5th cup of Gatorade. Robinson got into the 4.4's at his pro day after weighing 205 at 6'3. Lee weighed 192 at 6'0. All I hear is the worry about Lee's skinny frame, is that really worse than 6'3 205? Or is Robinson going to put it all back on to 220 and run a 4.6? Either way, that's not better than Lee. You guys have way too much recency bias for Lee and Robinson in regards to their 2013 season vs career.

I will, if you honestly believe that a 5 minute YouTube video offers evidence that Lee receives more route running instruction at camp than Robinson.

Even if he is receiving more instruction, it's a bad point. It's the first mini camp of the year for these guys. The exact point is to work on things like Lee was working on. I'm sure at some point every guy there got a little bit of coaching. This falls under the water is wet news.

Good posting. A rookie receiving coaching at rookie camp. Shocking!

Isn't route running supposed to be Lee's specialty? Shouldn't he be further along than other rookies? Just asking...

How do you know that he's not further along than the other rookies?

why would he be? its the first time any of them have seen the JAX playbook and applied on the field. Im sure Allen Robinson received 0 instruction.

ROllseyes

The word, since before the draft, is that Lee is the "most pro ready" WR in this draft. Now, after a crap combine performance, there's a lot of excuse making going on. Personally, I thank the poster for providing the video and his opinion. Draw your own conclusions, but in that short clip it looked to me like Lee was having trouble getting his footwork down on multiple routes. USC WRs have a bad rep for a reason IMO. I will be avoiding this guy like the plague. Not because of this video, but because his 2013 was a major disappointment, his combine showing was garbage, they drafted another potential #1 WR, and now this. IMO it all is trending in the wrong direction for positive fantasy value...

5-10 203 Washington

40=4.49, 26=bench, 35.5=vert, 4.00=SS, 6.75=3 cone, Broad=106

Sankey separated himself at the combine with a great performance showing that he was the most complete RB in this draft. Hes fast enough, quick enough, and plays good enough to be a RB1 in the NFL. Hes good at everything, but not great at any one thing which is why he wasnt high on some peoples lists prior to the combine. Now he lands in a perfect situation in Tennessee where the only thing he might lose out on is goal line carries in year one. I see Sankey as having a Matt Forte type of career where he never fully gets the respect he deserves and tends to always be a good value.

this seems fairly low for some of the backs, but not outrageously. Are you down in guys like hyde and freeman? Or just not big on rookie backs?

Continuing with the Robinson vs Lee debate.

In Robinson's biggest game of 2013 vs Ohio State, his numbers were inflated after they were blown out.

When Penn State was within 48 points of Ohio State, Robinson had 5 receptions for 48 yards 0 TD

When Penn State was outscored by 49 or more points of Ohio State, Robinson had 7 receptions for 125 yards 1 TD.

He went up against Armani Reeves at CB who played in only 3 games in 2013 with 10 tackles. Tyvis Powell was at safety who also appeared in only 3 games. Then almost got caught from behind on his TD play by 6-4 250 LB Joshua Perry who...you guessed it appeared in 3 games in 2013.

Who did Robinson play? His 100 yard games this year and rank in passing yards allowed per game defensively: Central Florida(73) , Indiana(122), Ohio St(118), Eastern Michigan(99), Illinois(64), Wisconsin(33), Nebraska(29), Syracuse(81).

Teams he didn't have 100 yard games on: Purdue(43), Kent State(30), Minnesota(39), Michigan(61). What's the theme here?

Jacksonville picked Lee before they picked Robinson(22 spots earlier in fact) for a reason. They like him more, period.

Lee: 6'0 192, 4.52 40, 4.01 short shuttle, 38 vertical, 10' 7 broad jump

Watkins: 6'1 211, 4.43 40, 4.34 short shuttle, 34 vertical, 10'6 broad jump

5-10 203 Washington

40=4.49, 26=bench, 35.5=vert, 4.00=SS, 6.75=3 cone, Broad=106

Sankey separated himself at the combine with a great performance showing that he was the most complete RB in this draft. Hes fast enough, quick enough, and plays good enough to be a RB1 in the NFL. Hes good at everything, but not great at any one thing which is why he wasnt high on some peoples lists prior to the combine. Now he lands in a perfect situation in Tennessee where the only thing he might lose out on is goal line carries in year one. I see Sankey as having a Matt Forte type of career where he never fully gets the respect he deserves and tends to always be a good value.

this seems fairly low for some of the backs, but not outrageously. Are you down in guys like hyde and freeman? Or just not big on rookie backs?
It's just the amount of talented WRs hurt the RB spots. I think Freeman is essentially just a guy, he won't be a difference maker and a replaceable starter if he ever gets a job.

Considering your hate for Lee, I don't think this argument will go well. Robinson didn't play well against good competition, doesn't use his body well, had a poor gauntlet which shows poor under pressure.While Lee isn't perfect, he's a competitor.

You really do struggle quite a bit when someone has a different opinion than you, don't you? Kind of odd given that any rookie prognosticator is going to be dead wrong a significant amount, no matter how much film they watch. It goes with the territory.
I'm not sure if you're talking to me or tdmills.

Lee fanboys continue to struggle with the truth. EBF has at least come to more realistic expectations.

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or tdmills.

Lee fanboys continue to struggle with the truth. EBF has at least come to more realistic expectations.
He's talking to you.

Because if bother to actually watch the video with an eye for detail, you can see why the coach was not pleased with Lee's routes. It's obvious if you know what you're looking at.

Who did Odell Beckham play against?

How about Davante Adams?

What does a playbook have to do with route running?

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or tdmills.Lee fanboys continue to struggle with the truth. EBF has at least come to more realistic expectations.
I apologize for not making myself clear. I was speaking of you.

Okay, and you act like a complete #### beside, not to mention carefully avoiding answering my question - which we both know you can't. How did you manage to gain such an inflated opinion of yourself? I've read plenty of your opinions in the past and you don't exhibit an extraordinary power of clairvoyance when it comes to diagnosing future success or failure of players. You clearly do spend an exceptional amount of time studying though - or at least claim to.

ETA - I watched it twice more completely since and feel very confident in saying you're seeing what you want to see to convince yourself you are right. I didn't see what you were claiming and find it hard to believe you can come to any conclusion at all at the comparative skills of the WRs there in such a short teaching situation - and I can assure you I've performed plenty of film analysis myself.

Continuing with the Robinson vs Lee debate.

In Robinson's biggest game of 2013 vs Ohio State, his numbers were inflated after they were blown out.

When Penn State was within 48 points of Ohio State, Robinson had 5 receptions for 48 yards 0 TD

When Penn State was outscored by 49 or more points of Ohio State, Robinson had 7 receptions for 125 yards 1 TD.

He went up against Armani Reeves at CB who played in only 3 games in 2013 with 10 tackles. Tyvis Powell was at safety who also appeared in only 3 games. Then almost got caught from behind on his TD play by 6-4 250 LB Joshua Perry who...you guessed it appeared in 3 games in 2013.

Who did Robinson play? His 100 yard games this year and rank in passing yards allowed per game defensively: Central Florida(73) , Indiana(122), Ohio St(118), Eastern Michigan(99), Illinois(64), Wisconsin(33), Nebraska(29), Syracuse(81).

Teams he didn't have 100 yard games on: Purdue(43), Kent State(30), Minnesota(39), Michigan(61). What's the theme here?

Jacksonville picked Lee before they picked Robinson(22 spots earlier in fact) for a reason. They like him more, period.
Spoken like a draft novice. You don't think it's possible they liked both, but took Lee first because his perceived draft spot was higher? No. Couldn't be!

Or maybe you still don't know what you're looking at.

Who is the best route runner in this draft?

So Lee got coached and Robinson doesn't need coaching, is that your conclusion? Lee was incredibly more explosive than Robinson and I expected him to get some work on his route running. Robinson has the mentality issue(that's my ball) and competing. He doesn't use his body all that well. Also who the hell did Robinson play at CB? He didn't play Dennard and his Ohio State stats are inflated after Roby had his 5th cup of Gatorade. Robinson got into the 4.4's at his pro day after weighing 205 at 6'3. Lee weighed 192 at 6'0. All I hear is the worry about Lee's skinny frame, is that really worse than 6'3 205? Or is Robinson going to put it all back on to 220 and run a 4.6? Either way, that's not better than Lee. You guys have way too much recency bias for Lee and Robinson in regards to their 2013 season vs career.
Robinson wasn't 205 at his Pro Day. And being 192 vs 211 is really worse, especially when the 192 guy plays just a small as the 211 you claim he does.

I don't have recency bias. I have simply done by due diligence in evaluating Lee in detail.

You're right, Robinson was 208...still 12 pounds down from the combine.

Either way I like Lee more than Robinson, you don't. I think we should move on from here.

Users who are viewing this thread