What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty rankings (1 Viewer)

Defensive back rankings added; bumped the DL and LB rankings with a few minor tweaks. Next full update will come when the coaching changes are complete and before free agency begins. These rankings, because of the ever-changing nature of defensive play, are more or less one year window rankings. I'm considering reserving the last 3-5 slots in the rankings for very high upside/deep sleeper types, but haven't done so yet.With regard to Lance Briggs, you're probably right. I've moved him up a little bit today, but I still struggle to put him ahead of some of the others in the top ten. I don't have a very good argument for Posluszny or Dansby over him at this point, it's mostly personal preference.
Hey, JB. I took a peak at your rankings and have two real quick questions for you...You listed both Collins and Rouse in your DB rankings. Do you see the "Woodson at SS" experiment discontinued (I see you have him listed as a CB)? Do you see Bigby either losing his job or not being retained by the Packers as a RFA?

Last edited by a moderator:
Defensive back rankings added; bumped the DL and LB rankings with a few minor tweaks. Next full update will come when the coaching changes are complete and before free agency begins. These rankings, because of the ever-changing nature of defensive play, are more or less one year window rankings. I'm considering reserving the last 3-5 slots in the rankings for very high upside/deep sleeper types, but haven't done so yet.With regard to Lance Briggs, you're probably right. I've moved him up a little bit today, but I still struggle to put him ahead of some of the others in the top ten. I don't have a very good argument for Posluszny or Dansby over him at this point, it's mostly personal preference.
I still don't think the new ranking does him justice, but that's me. I don't see justification for having a guy like Lofton ahead of him. Lofton is indeed 6 years younger and has promise, but he has proven very little so far. Briggs should have 3 or 4 more years of high level production in him.

No Chris Gamble in your top 60 of DBs.

He was the 20th ranked IDP player in Zealots last year including LBers.

I have seen him listed as high as #5 DB and also #9 DB.

Considering I just traded for him I have a deep concern on what I am missing and/or what you know to have him off your list.

Weiner Dog said:
Jene Bramel said:
Hey, JB. I took a peak at your rankings and have two real quick questions for you...You listed both Collins and Rouse in your DB rankings. Do you see the "Woodson at SS" experiment discontinued (I see you have him listed as a CB)? Do you see Bigby either losing his job or not being retained by the Packers as a RFA?
Don't know what to think about Woodson's 2009 position yet, but I think he's the most likely of the four to have value. Rouse is there as one of those few younger guys that end up a little higher in my dynasty rankings -- I nearly put Josh Barrett in there and Kenny Phillips is higher than I'd have him in my redraft rankings right now.I've never thought much of Bigby's play to begin with and the ongoing rotation, new coaching staff, RFA situation is enough to keep him out of the top 60 for now.

thatguy said:
Jene Bramel said:
I still don't think the new ranking does him justice, but that's me. I don't see justification for having a guy like Lofton ahead of him. Lofton is indeed 6 years younger and has promise, but he has proven very little so far. Briggs should have 3 or 4 more years of high level production in him.
No argument from me if someone would rather draft Briggs over Lofton or Posluszny or Henderson. I just like the long term upside of the others a little better. Briggs could certainly be as high as 6 or 8 for me.

Mr Two Cents said:
No Chris Gamble in your top 60 of DBs.He was the 20th ranked IDP player in Zealots last year including LBers.I have seen him listed as high as #5 DB and also #9 DB.Considering I just traded for him I have a deep concern on what I am missing and/or what you know to have him off your list.
Oversight on my part.I won't have him in the top ten, however. His 80+ solos and 18 PDs were well outside his career norms and came in a contract year. I think he belongs in the second tier of corners (behind Winfield, Tillman and the like), which would probably put him somewhere in the 30s.

Lance Briggs continually gets no love in the FBG Dynasty Rankings... And I don't know why. He has finished in the top 7 four out of the last 5 seasons. The season he finished outside of the top 7, he finished 15th. For rankings submitted in the last 35 days, he is ranked 16th among LB's. I'm fairly confident I'm not missing anything. What are the FBG staffers missing?
The rankings you listed are for only OLB, which FBGs lists separately.Overall among all LB, in his last 5 seasons, going from 2008 to 2004, Briggs has finished 11, 33, 4, 20, and 13.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lance Briggs continually gets no love in the FBG Dynasty Rankings... And I don't know why. He has finished in the top 7 four out of the last 5 seasons. The season he finished outside of the top 7, he finished 15th. For rankings submitted in the last 35 days, he is ranked 16th among LB's. I'm fairly confident I'm not missing anything. What are the FBG staffers missing?
The rankings you listed are for only OLB, which FBGs lists separately.Overall among all LB, in his last 5 seasons, going from 2008 to 2004, Briggs has finished 11, 33, 4, 20, and 13.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up AB. Do you have a link to where I can find the season by season rankings for all LB's regardless of position?

Ah, thanks for clearing that up AB. Do you have a link to where I can find the season by season rankings for all LB's regardless of position?
I usually use the MyFBG function. The pulldown menu there has LB, ILB and OLB as well as DB, CB, S, etc.

I usually use the MyFBG function. The pulldown menu there has LB, ILB and OLB as well as DB, CB, S, etc.
That's where I look too.

Considering I just traded for him I have a deep concern on what I am missing and/or what you know to have him off your list.
Oversight on my part.I won't have him in the top ten, however. His 80+ solos and 18 PDs were well outside his career norms and came in a contract year. I think he belongs in the second tier of corners (behind Winfield, Tillman and the like), which would probably put him somewhere in the 30s.
The career norm portion I get, but is there any real correlation between contract years and tackles for CBs? Color me skeptical.

The career norm portion I get, but is there any real correlation between contract years and tackles for CBs? Color me skeptical.
It's a valid point. There's likely no correlation between contract years and tackles -- at any position. But when I see splits like this...2004-2007 >>> 3.62 solos/gm

2008 >>> 5.19 solos/gm

2004-2007 >>> 0.2 PD/gm

2008 >>> 1.125 PD/gm

...with no identifiable change in scheme, a much better tackling WLB playing to his side of the field, less tackle opportunity (50.13/game in 2008 vs 52.00/game in 2007) and a comparable number of pass completions allowed (333 in 2008 vs 337 in 2007) following two consecutive offseasons in which observers questioned his play, I really wonder how much the "contract season" played into his jump in numbers.

I like Chris Gamble. I think his play tailed off some in 2006 and 2007, though some of 2007's struggles probably stemmed from a hand injury in midseason. I've thought in the past that he was a guy with the physical run support/ball skill profile of a consistent IDP value.

I think it's very reasonable to expect that his 2004 and 2005 numbers are closer to what we'll see than the 2006 and 2007 numbers. But I think it's unlikely that you'll see more than 70 solos and 15 PDs next season from Gamble next season. I doubt I'd project him to either plateau for 2008. The difference between DB3-4 and DB1-2 for him next season will be whether he can pick off 5-7 passes or 2-4.

It's a valid point. There's likely no correlation between contract years and tackles -- at any position. But when I see splits like this...2004-2007 >>> 3.62 solos/gm

2008 >>> 5.19 solos/gm

2004-2007 >>> 0.2 PD/gm

2008 >>> 1.125 PD/gm

...with no identifiable change in scheme, a much better tackling WLB playing to his side of the field, less tackle opportunity (50.13/game in 2008 vs 52.00/game in 2007) and a comparable number of pass completions allowed (333 in 2008 vs 337 in 2007) following two consecutive offseasons in which observers questioned his play, I really wonder how much the "contract season" played into his jump in numbers.

I like Chris Gamble. I think his play tailed off some in 2006 and 2007, though some of 2007's struggles probably stemmed from a hand injury in midseason. I've thought in the past that he was a guy with the physical run support/ball skill profile of a consistent IDP value.

I think it's very reasonable to expect that his 2004 and 2005 numbers are closer to what we'll see than the 2006 and 2007 numbers. But I think it's unlikely that you'll see more than 70 solos and 15 PDs next season from Gamble next season. I doubt I'd project him to either plateau for 2008. The difference between DB3-4 and DB1-2 for him next season will be whether he can pick off 5-7 passes or 2-4.
Awesome post, thanks. You've hit the point here, why I dislike corners in FF - the difference between them being startable (DB1-2) and not really (DB 3-4) is a few INTs. You can't guess with good accuracy when they'll get those INTs, so you either play them each week hoping or you could miss out. You can guess more accurately their tackles, but what I'm hearing you say is to not expect as many tackles from Gamble next year. I'll take your word for it, your stats make sense, but I really don't know except that I'd play him against New Orleans in a tackle heavy league.

No Chris Gamble in your top 60 of DBs.He was the 20th ranked IDP player in Zealots last year including LBers.I have seen him listed as high as #5 DB and also #9 DB.Considering I just traded for him I have a deep concern on what I am missing and/or what you know to have him off your list.
Josh Wilson was the #1 IDP in Zealots scoring, and he is ranked 48. I know a good chunk of those points come from kick returns, but 69 solos, 1 sack, 4 Int's, and 9 PD's for a 2nd year corner, who was playing nickle back for part of the season should be higher than 48.

Josh Wilson was the #1 IDP in Zealots scoring, and he is ranked 48. I know a good chunk of those points come from kick returns, but 69 solos, 1 sack, 4 Int's, and 9 PD's for a 2nd year corner, who was playing nickle back for part of the season should be higher than 48.
The tough part about ranking Wilson is seeing reports that they want to add a CB and play Wilson as a nickel back. His numbers were better than his play. That is just one example of why it is tough to rank IDPs at this time of year.

The tough part about ranking Wilson is seeing reports that they want to add a CB and play Wilson as a nickel back. His numbers were better than his play. That is just one example of why it is tough to rank IDPs at this time of year.
Wilson's lofty position in (The New) Z-Land scoring is a product of his Kick Returner points scoring.

Here's a link to the dynasty LB rankings. Let me know if you're unable to access the page.
Requires subscriber login.
You've been here since 2003 and still haven't subscribed yet? :lmao: For what it's worth, the dynasty rankings alone are worth the subscription for me... we're not even talking about the tons of other stuff especially that Jene and John do on the IDP side. I've been a subsciber for the longest time, and recently did the 3 yr plan... and will again once that's up. Invaluable content guys

:jawdrop:

Here's a link to the dynasty LB rankings. Let me know if you're unable to access the page.
Thanks. I'll follow up with Keith and David to see when the rankings will be open to everyone. That usually happens within weeks of the end of the season, so it should be very soon -- certainly before the NFL Draft and likely much sooner. I'll post an update when the curtain is officially lifted.
Everything except MyFBG is open to all. Have at 'em.

Thanks. I'll follow up with Keith and David to see when the rankings will be open to everyone. That usually happens within weeks of the end of the season, so it should be very soon -- certainly before the NFL Draft and likely much sooner. I'll post an update when the curtain is officially lifted.
Everything except MyFBG is open to all. Have at 'em.
Speaking of which, do the dynasty rankings account at all for scoring variables? I know they're presented with default FBG scoring, and I know this could get very complicated very quickly, but it would be cool if there were a way for you guys to capture "dynasty rankings" and have it adjusted for scoring system. I'm just thinking out loud here, but something along the lines of "projections * potential/risk * productive years left". I would be more than willing to help out on the programming side of things :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread