What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty ROOKIE Draft: 2012 Rankings (1 Viewer)

Keeping it standard, pre draft this is how I have it

1 Richardson

2 Martin

3 RG3

4 Blackmon

5 Luck

6 Miller

7 Wright

8 Floyd

I have pick 12 in an idp league, so I really hope Jeffrey and Wilson slide in there (with one other - maybe Hill? Randle? James?) so Kuechly falls to 12. If I were in a non idp league I'd try to make sure I get one of those 8 if I were sitting on the tail right now and if I can't then I'd trade the pick for a future #1.

'TheLurkerBelow said:
'benson_will_lead_the_way said:
'Devine Intervention said:
I know this is gonna take some heat, and I dont have much proof but there is something about Richardson that just doesn't do it for me. Yeah he's good, and the best back this draft, but I dont see him as this can't miss talent. He is a beast in the gym and an athletic freak. I can't put my finger on it, but I think he really needs to fall in the right situation.
He's not flashy and that may be a problem for some. But his technique is near flawless. Under control, feet under him, little wasted movement, shoulders square.
And for such a big guy, he has great hands and ability to adjust to the ball as a receiver out of the backfield. He's an every down back at a time when there are very few of them left in the league.
Maybe that is what makes me nervous about him. He doesnt seem like a homerun hitter. You dont see alot of full time powerfull backs like him used these days. To add to that, he will take a beating. If he ends up somewhere like Cleveland I think that it will be a good fit, but end up somewhere where its more of that spread style offense that is going around he might fall into the same trap as Ingram.
To each his own I guess. I consider him a home run hitter and found the "not flashy" comment totally opposite of my opinion.

'az_prof said:
Bump I just got the 2nd overall pick and the 12th overall pick in a Dynasty league - would like to hear any new opinions. Probably I will be picking from Luck, RG3 and T-Rich for my 1st pick - I need some RB help but Luck or RG3 could be really really good for years to come.
I would NEVER pick a QB with the 1.2 unless it was a 2 QB start league.
Not that I disagree, but I think you WILL see it a lot this year. There are a lot of people enamoured in what Cam Newton did last season and I suspect it will continue.
I agree. The fantasy landscape is changing, it's not so much about having stud RBs, there are so few 'every down' backs in the league now days you can't afford to base your approach on that strategy all the time. Having a QB who puts up massive points every week is now the most reliable way to ensure good scores. Any unlike in years past where the sixth best QB's point production wasn't that far away from the third's, and it made more sense to have a top tier RB, that's no longer the case. Elite passers are far outpacing the middle of the pack.
Having an elite QB is great, but the odds are about 50% that one of the top QB's drafted will be a complete bust. Roughly 25% will be an average (Flacco) or above average (Matt Ryan) QB. The other 25% are your elite QB's (Newton, Stafford, Rodgers, Brees) who command top value. IMO you're much better off packaging the 1.02 with another player/pick to trade for an elite QB.
I wouldn't disagree with that at all. If you had a chance to get an Aaron Rogers for the 1.02 and a Matt Ryan you should do it 100% of the time. I think you'd have to give up a LOT more than that to get an elite QB though (maybe add in another starting player and another first round pick), which is why spending one draft pick to try for one in a year when there are two that look like that have that potential is still a good strategy.As far as bust potential, I think you have that with a player at any position. Even RBs drafted in the first two rounds of the NFL draft will be a fantasy bust about 50% of the time.

'TheLurkerBelow said:
I know this is gonna take some heat, and I dont have much proof but there is something about Richardson that just doesn't do it for me. Yeah he's good, and the best back this draft, but I dont see him as this can't miss talent. He is a beast in the gym and an athletic freak. I can't put my finger on it, but I think he really needs to fall in the right situation.
He's not flashy and that may be a problem for some. But his technique is near flawless. Under control, feet under him, little wasted movement, shoulders square.
And for such a big guy, he has great hands and ability to adjust to the ball as a receiver out of the backfield. He's an every down back at a time when there are very few of them left in the league.
Maybe that is what makes me nervous about him. He doesnt seem like a homerun hitter. You dont see alot of full time powerfull backs like him used these days. To add to that, he will take a beating. If he ends up somewhere like Cleveland I think that it will be a good fit, but end up somewhere where its more of that spread style offense that is going around he might fall into the same trap as Ingram.
To each his own I guess. I consider him a home run hitter and found the "not flashy" comment totally opposite of my opinion.
I see an Emmit Smith style type player when assessing Richardson. Not flashy, but very sound in most of the more important areas of a runningback's game. With the right system, the sky is the limit.

'TheLurkerBelow said:
So what if he isn't a homerun hitter? Doubles and triples can still drive in runs.

'az_prof said:
Bump I just got the 2nd overall pick and the 12th overall pick in a Dynasty league - would like to hear any new opinions. Probably I will be picking from Luck, RG3 and T-Rich for my 1st pick - I need some RB help but Luck or RG3 could be really really good for years to come.
Not that I disagree, but I think you WILL see it a lot this year. There are a lot of people enamoured in what Cam Newton did last season and I suspect it will continue.
I agree. The fantasy landscape is changing, it's not so much about having stud RBs, there are so few 'every down' backs in the league now days you can't afford to base your approach on that strategy all the time. Having a QB who puts up massive points every week is now the most reliable way to ensure good scores. Any unlike in years past where the sixth best QB's point production wasn't that far away from the third's, and it made more sense to have a top tier RB, that's no longer the case. Elite passers are far outpacing the middle of the pack.
Having an elite QB is great, but the odds are about 50% that one of the top QB's drafted will be a complete bust. Roughly 25% will be an average (Flacco) or above average (Matt Ryan) QB. The other 25% are your elite QB's (Newton, Stafford, Rodgers, Brees) who command top value. IMO you're much better off packaging the 1.02 with another player/pick to trade for an elite QB.
I wouldn't disagree with that at all. If you had a chance to get an Aaron Rogers for the 1.02 and a Matt Ryan you should do it 100% of the time. I think you'd have to give up a LOT more than that to get an elite QB though (maybe add in another starting player and another first round pick), which is why spending one draft pick to try for one in a year when there are two that look like that have that potential is still a good strategy.As far as bust potential, I think you have that with a player at any position. Even RBs drafted in the first two rounds of the NFL draft will be a fantasy bust about 50% of the time.
in the past couple of yrs, most of the QBs drafted in FF 1st rounds or early 2nd rounds have been from elite to decent... I can't really recall one that has completed busted. I think the worst one theres been is Sanchez and even hes been a good #2 (I'm pretty sure no one drafted Locker / Gabbret / Ponder in their 1st rounds, atleast I hope not). QB is probably the safest position to draft these days, now 1.02 / 1.03 is a little high for a QB but they look to be way more talented than the other position players in the draft. Luck is a once in a generation talent at QB and RGIII is super special and in a good position to score lots of FF points. I know people were taking P Manning in their top 3 picks yrs ago and that worked out.

'KellysHeroes said:
'az_prof said:
in the past couple of yrs, most of the QBs drafted in FF 1st rounds or early 2nd rounds have been from elite to decent... I can't really recall one that has completed busted. I think the worst one theres been is Sanchez and even hes been a good #2 (I'm pretty sure no one drafted Locker / Gabbret / Ponder in their 1st rounds, atleast I hope not). QB is probably the safest position to draft these days, now 1.02 / 1.03 is a little high for a QB but they look to be way more talented than the other position players in the draft. Luck is a once in a generation talent at QB and RGIII is super special and in a good position to score lots of FF points. I know people were taking P Manning in their top 3 picks yrs ago and that worked out.
Here's a list of QB's who have been drafted in the 1st round of rookie drafts since 2007:Bradford, Clausen, Stafford, Sanchez, Ryan, and Russell.

'KellysHeroes said:
'az_prof said:
Bump I just got the 2nd overall pick and the 12th overall pick in a Dynasty league - would like to hear any new opinions.

Probably I will be picking from Luck, RG3 and T-Rich for my 1st pick - I need some RB help but Luck or RG3 could be really really good for years to come.
Here's a list of QB's who have been drafted in the 1st round of rookie drafts since 2007:Bradford, Clausen, Stafford, Sanchez, Ryan, and Russell.
whaaaa, Clausen was not worth of a 1st rounder or 2nd rounder, and as for Russell / Quinn I remember they were mid to late 1st that yr.but going back to my drafts since 2008 its been pretty successful for drafting Rookie QBs

1.09 9. Waldo's Wildcards Ryan, Matt ATL QB ® Mon May 19 2:01:18 p.m. ET 2008 270.10

2.13 27. Skibum Brohm, Brian GBP QB ® ??????

3.07 35. Wolfie's Warriors Flacco, Joe BAL QB ® WOW

1.12 12. Wolfie's Warriors Stafford, Matthew DET QB ®

1.14 14. Puppet Masters Sanchez, Mark NYJ QB ®

3.06 34. Tenacious D Freeman, Josh TBB QB ®

1.11 11. G-Men Bradford, Sam STL QB ®

1.11 11. G-Men Locker, Jake TEN QB ®

2.01 15. Carthaginians Dalton, Andy CIN QB ®

2.05 19. Eli's Luckbags Newton, Cam CAR QB ®

2.07 21. Tenacious D Gabbert, Blaine JAC QB ®

2.08 22. Grey Ghost Kaepernick, Colin SFO QB ®

2.11 25. G-Men Ponder, Christian MIN QB ®

'KellysHeroes said:
'az_prof said:
In my Keeper league since 2004 the only QBs drafted in the first round have been Sanchez and Bradford. Neither are superstars, but neither are busts, although neither were worth a high first round pick, nor were they drafted there. Here's a probable scenario: If you're talking about the 1.02, would you rather have as close to a sure thing as a QB prospect gets in Luck and Griffin, or do you want to take a shot at the committee RB who was drafted by the Giants or Bengals? I think it's a tough call, and if someone took Luck at 1.02 I wouldn't say it was a terrible decision.Considering mid first round picks, I think that the chance to land someone who scores points like Brady, Brees, or Rogers is worth it. In the last three years if you had dropped a 1.05 - 1.09 pick on Harrington, Bradford, or Newton you ended up with two superstars and one solid backup who still has a chance to be a low end starter. That's not a bad use of those picks, especially considering you could easily have landed a Crabtree, Donald Brown, Montario Hardesty, Jahvad Best, CJ Spiller, or Glen Coffee.

'Xue said:
'EBF said:
LaMike is the guy who could be a steal in rookie drafts. I've been skeptical of him throughout his NCAA career, but he's a pretty talented athlete who dominated his competition. In terms of his likely rookie draft position and his potential FF upside, there's a bit of a Jamaal Charles vibe here. He's a guy I'll be looking at in that 1.08-1.12 range after things get ugly. Kendall Wright's slow 40 times couple with his poor benching numbers have me wondering if he's lazy and complacent. Shades of Jon Dwyer. If the guy can't get motivated for the biggest opportunity of his career, that's a problem. I'd almost have to take a guy like Fleener or James ahead of him.
LaMike ran mostly out of shotgun and to the outside. He can't run inside at all. Charles was a much better inside runner and had better strength and balance in college.
I remember Charles being pegged as too frail to run inside

'Xue said:
'EBF said:
LaMike is the guy who could be a steal in rookie drafts. I've been skeptical of him throughout his NCAA career, but he's a pretty talented athlete who dominated his competition. In terms of his likely rookie draft position and his potential FF upside, there's a bit of a Jamaal Charles vibe here. He's a guy I'll be looking at in that 1.08-1.12 range after things get ugly. Kendall Wright's slow 40 times couple with his poor benching numbers have me wondering if he's lazy and complacent. Shades of Jon Dwyer. If the guy can't get motivated for the biggest opportunity of his career, that's a problem. I'd almost have to take a guy like Fleener or James ahead of him.
LaMike ran mostly out of shotgun and to the outside. He can't run inside at all. Charles was a much better inside runner and had better strength and balance in college.
You mean the guy who missed almost all of last year due to an injury? :excited:

'Xue said:
'EBF said:
Wow. Clearly you haven't watched LaMichael James enough because he definately can run inside. In fact, most of his runs at Oregon were inside zone reads and he is very strong for his size. I have no doubts that if he gets drafted by the right team he will tear it up in the NFL. A team that has a zone blocking scheme would be ideal.

'Xue said:
'EBF said:
It was an acl tear. :confused:

'Xue said:
'EBF said:
That he tore stepping on a yardage marker going out of bounds. His size had nothing to do with his bad luck last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Xue said:
'EBF said:
That he tore stepping on a yardage marker going out of bounds. His size had nothing to do with his bad luck last year.
:goodposting: neither did running inside- considering he was on the sideline when it happened

'KellysHeroes said:
'az_prof said:
Sanchez was an early 2nd in all of my leagues' rookie drafts, and Clausen was most often a 3rd rounder. Last year Cam went in the 1st in about half of my rookie drafts. These are all standard scoring or ppr, start one QB with passing TDs 5 points.I agree that 1st round QBs have often been very good value, the rest of the guys that haven't been mentioned (Freeman, Ponder, Locker, etc.) have typically gone in the third round and Dalton went in the 4th round in most of my leagues. The only issue is that is most leagues QBs don't carry much value unless they are fairly high end QB1s, so most would rather swing for the fences and try to land the next Desean Jackson or Steve Slayton (who hit big his rookie year) and so on.As for early 2nd round QBs that have busted, the Dolphins had two--John Beck (2.08 in 2007) and Chad Henne (2.26 in 2008)--and while I realize 2.26 isn't really early, I though it was worth mentioning to reinforce the Dolphin's utter inability to make the right move at QB.

'KellysHeroes said:
'az_prof said:
Bump I just got the 2nd overall pick and the 12th overall pick in a Dynasty league - would like to hear any new opinions.

Probably I will be picking from Luck, RG3 and T-Rich for my 1st pick - I need some RB help but Luck or RG3 could be really really good for years to come.
Sanchez was an early 2nd in all of my leagues' rookie drafts, and Clausen was most often a 3rd rounder. Last year Cam went in the 1st in about half of my rookie drafts. These are all standard scoring or ppr, start one QB with passing TDs 5 points.I agree that 1st round QBs have often been very good value, the rest of the guys that haven't been mentioned (Freeman, Ponder, Locker, etc.) have typically gone in the third round and Dalton went in the 4th round in most of my leagues. The only issue is that is most leagues QBs don't carry much value unless they are fairly high end QB1s, so most would rather swing for the fences and try to land the next Desean Jackson or Steve Slayton (who hit big his rookie year) and so on.

As for early 2nd round QBs that have busted, the Dolphins had two--John Beck (2.08 in 2007) and Chad Henne (2.26 in 2008)--and while I realize 2.26 isn't really early, I though it was worth mentioning to reinforce the Dolphin's utter inability to make the right move at QB.
that depends on the size of the league, I play in mostly 14 / 16 teamers and I have noticed that those young QBs are going up in price. For instance, Bradford was moved for a 2012 1st and 2nd last off-season. Cam was moved for 1.03 and 1.07, My offer of 1.02 for M Ryan was rejected and I can't even ponder what Stafford would cost right now.

'Xue said:
'EBF said:
I know the ACL injury isn't really a reflection on his size or how well he does or doesn't pound the ball between the tackles, I just thought it was a crazy example to use since he had just missed the season.

'Xue said:
'TheLurkerBelow said:
So what if he isn't a homerun hitter? Doubles and triples can still drive in runs.
Yes that is true. But when you are talking about taking him over proven RBs already in solid schemes there is just too much unknown to put that much value on him.

'Xue said:
'EBF said:
Wow. Clearly you haven't watched LaMichael James enough because he definately can run inside. In fact, most of his runs at Oregon were inside zone reads and he is very strong for his size. I have no doubts that if he gets drafted by the right team he will tear it up in the NFL. A team that has a zone blocking scheme would be ideal.
If he is so talented why does he need to go to a ZBS team? The same is said for Bernard Pierce.I've seen plenty of LaMichael and he's not very impressive when he does run inside in traffic where he has to navigate through junk.

'Xue said:
'EBF said:
I'm not talking about durability. I'm talking about ability.

If he is so talented why does he need to go to a ZBS team? The same is said for Bernard Pierce.I've seen plenty of LaMichael and he's not very impressive when he does run inside in traffic where he has to navigate through junk.
Where did I say he needs to go to a ZBS team? I said that would be ideal. I think he is the 2nd best back in the draft and will do well wherever he goes. Time will tell........

Where did I say he needs to go to a ZBS team? I said that would be ideal. I think he is the 2nd best back in the draft and will do well wherever he goes. Time will tell........
If he is the second best back, why is a ZBS team ideal? ZBS teams don't require an elite physical talent at RB.

LaMike is the guy who could be a steal in rookie drafts. I've been skeptical of him throughout his NCAA career, but he's a pretty talented athlete who dominated his competition. In terms of his likely rookie draft position and his potential FF upside, there's a bit of a Jamaal Charles vibe here. He's a guy I'll be looking at in that 1.08-1.12 range after things get ugly.

Kendall Wright's slow 40 times couple with his poor benching numbers have me wondering if he's lazy and complacent. Shades of Jon Dwyer. If the guy can't get motivated for the biggest opportunity of his career, that's a problem. I'd almost have to take a guy like Fleener or James ahead of him.
I'm not talking about durability. I'm talking about ability.
I am not talking about durability as much as being frail (too skinny). Look at the book on Charles before the draft, he probably had even more holes in his game cause many thought of him as butterfingers as well.
Negatives: Looks smaller on film than the 6-1, 205 pounds Texas lists him as. ... Has struggled at times with fumbles, including a key lost fumble in a 28-21 loss to rival Oklahoma in 2007. ... At his best in the open field. ... Not a particularly physical back who will run over defenders in the hole. ... Willing, but limited pass blocker.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jamaal-charles?id=925
NEGATIVES: Not an elusive ball-carrier who creates yardage. Easily knocked off balance by the first hit. Average pass-catcher out of the backfield.
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/players/43816.html#ixzz1qjdqTMtQS

ize is a concern with Charles. He has only average size, and will need to bulk up a bit to be a feature back. He has also had some problems putting the ball on the floor in college.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/prospects/jamaal_charles.html
Has to be more consistent. Needs to be more of a between the tackles runner.
http://xdraft101.s11.eatj.com/draft/profiles/player/42/Jamaal_Charles.jsp
Charles is a brilliant runner with great speed and quickness, but he lacks the ability to be patient sometimes, and isn’t adept at getting the tough yards after contact.

He would have been served better by staying in school to work on some of his weaknesses, especially considering the depth of this year’s pool. Still, he’s always a homerun threat, so look for a team to give him a shot on the first day of the draft as a project.
http://theredzonereport.com/2008/02/17/2008-draft-rbs-feb-17/101/
But his weaknesses are inconsistency and not a very good inside runner between the tackles. NFL Draft 101 ranks him No. 5 among running backs, and No. 35 overall among the Top 63 players.
http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/bayou/2008/04/18/daybreaker-is-port-arthurs-jamaal-charles-a-first-round-nfl-draft-pick/I could go on, but I think I've found enough. Most people thought he couldn't run inside

Being able to run inside has less to do with size than it does skill. I look at things like vision, wiggle, change of direction, strength, and balance more than size. How many of those shortsighted assessments of Charles were based on size?

I was thinking the same thing. He can definitely run inside.

'Xue said:
Being able to run inside has less to do with size than it does skill. I look at things like vision, wiggle, change of direction, strength, and balance more than size. How many of those shortsighted assessments of Charles were based on size?
How many of those things is James deficient in?

Users who are viewing this thread