What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eagles vs Bears - NFC Wild Card - Henceforth Known as the Double Doink Game (2 Viewers)

Yes, it was defensive low scoring game.  But the Bears #1 D couldn't stop the Eagles on a 12-play, 60 yard drive to win the game. Should have never come down to Parkey.  Where was Khalil Mack all game?  Bears had 1 sack. Where was the Bears' offense?  Jordan Howard?  Cohen with 4 touches?  Yes, Parkey's miss is the obvious, but whole team really came up small when they needed it.
I get it. There is a school of thought that kickers don't matter. Score more TDs, stop the other team and you don't even need them. I believe K's are important especially in post season play where chances are games might be tight and low scoring. Bears management didn't. 

Sure, in that game yesterday there were many factors that contributed to the loss including rostering a 75% FG kicker. Parkey hit his average yesterday, and it wasn't good enough.

No one was surprised in Chicago that Parkey didn't nail the winner. I even predicted it in earlier in this thread. If it came down to needing a FG to win I had zero faith in Parkey to deliver. I even turned off the TV before the kick. He missed 10 this year and clanked 7 of those off the post. Other than Boswell and Dan Bailey, Parkey was the worst K on a playoff contending team. 

In Super Bowl XXV the Bills should of scored more points too. They had the #2 O in the league. Having Norwood hitting 62% of his FGs shouldn't of made a difference until it did in a 20-19 game.

How good would NO fans feel replacing Lutz with a guy like Parkey for their playoff run? Swap a 93% guy with a 76% guy. Shouldn't matter as long as they score enough TDs and make stops. The Bills thought the same thing in 91. I just believe it's a poor personnel decision for a team trying to build a winner, but yes, not the only reason for losing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get it. There is a school of thought that kickers don't matter. Score more TDs, stop the other team and you don't even need them. I believe K's are important especially in post season play where chances are games might be tight and low scoring. Bears management didn't. 

Sure, in that game yesterday there were many factors that contributed to the loss including rostering a 75% FG kicker. Parkey hit his average yesterday, and it wasn't good enough.

No one was surprised in Chicago that Parkey didn't nail the winner. I even predicted it in earlier in this thread. If it came down to needing a FG to win I had zero faith in Parkey to deliver. I even turned off the TV before the kick. He missed 10 this year and clanked 7 of those off the post. Other than Boswell and Dan Bailey, Parkey was the worst K on a playoff contending team. 

In Super Bowl XXV the Bills should of scored more points too. They had the #2 O in the league. Having Norwood hitting 62% of his FGs shouldn't of made a difference until it did in a 20-19 game.

How good would NO fans feel replacing Lutz with a guy like Parkey for their playoff run? Swap a 93% guy with a 76% guy. Shouldn't matter as long as they score enough TDs and make stops. The Bills thought the same thing in 91. I just believe it's a poor personnel decision for a team trying to build a winner, but yes, not the only reason for losing.
I'm not saying the kicker doesn't matter. He should be able to make a 43 yard FG. But the Bears are known for their defense,  not the kicker. And the defense failed every bit as much as Parkey if not more. Parkey had 1 chance to win the game; the defense had 12. All we heard about was the big, bad, Bears defense and they didn't get it done when it mattered. 

I'm not saying the kicker doesn't matter. He should be able to make a 43 yard FG. But the Bears are known for their defense,  not the kicker. And the defense failed every bit as much as Parkey if not more. Parkey had 1 chance to win the game; the defense had 12. All we heard about was the big, bad, Bears defense and they didn't get it done when it mattered. 
Yes. Letting a bad offensive team score 16 pts wasn’t good.

Yes. Letting a bad offensive team score 16 pts wasn’t good.
You seem to be letting the defense off the hook. Parkey scored more than half of the Bears points.  The #1 defense just had to not give up a 12 play, 60 yard, 4 minute drive. That was their first chance to win the game. 

But yes, he should be able to make a 43 yard FG. 

Huh? Bears allowed 16 points, 1.4 points under their league leading ppg average. O was off, no doubt about it, but Cohen and Mitch drove them down field with under a minute and put their K in position to win the game. 

Should Charger fans focus on the fact that the entire offense was outscored by Badgley. That Rivers only had 160 yards? That the the youngest QB ever to play in the playoffs marched the Ravens downfield in the 4th Q and was in position to win in the final seconds after being overmatched all day? No, they are moving on and people are giving them a legit shot at upsetting the Patriots. Winning is all that matters in the playoffs. 
Yes imo. I will be shocked if the Chargers make a game of it. Rookie coach, hit-and-miss offense = trouble against NE in January. The Chargers will need to play a LOT better to have a shot to win Sunday. To their benefit, they're probably well aware of it and will try to adjust. 

Yes imo. I will be shocked if the Chargers make a game of it. Rookie coach, hit-and-miss offense = trouble against NE in January. The Chargers will need to play a LOT better to have a shot to win Sunday. To their benefit, they're probably well aware of it and will try to adjust. 
Nah, Rivers is a gamer. I expect a great game from them.

Plus they are a West Coast team traveling East for the second time in 2 weeks.  That will take a toll.

Plus they are a West Coast team traveling East for the second time in 2 weeks.  That will take a toll.
It may. But remember that the Chargers have traveled to Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore this year and have won all 4 games. Plus they went to London and won.

IHEARTFF said:
Why don’t they just stay in the east coast and not fly back and forth?
It's that 'whats more important, not flying or the comfort of preparing at home" question.  Staying away from home, on a different practice field, away from all your staff, facilities, trainers, weight rooms, etc. can also take a toll. 

Kick officially ruled as a blocked fg. saw mention of this yesterday, expected to see it mentioned here somewhere. not that it changes anything, or maybe Parkey's career doesn't end here.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-rules-that-cody-parkeys-field-goal-was-blocked-photographer-captures-perfect-picture-of-the-tip/
Ya, was heavily discussed yesterday.  Not sure how much damage that finger did to the direction of the kick but either way it shouldn't fully be on him.  Guy has to feel pretty horrible right now. 

Users who are viewing this thread