What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Edwards take on the KC RB situation (1 Viewer)

Bankerguy

Footballguy
Tuesday was Good News Day for Chiefs running back Larry Johnson. It began with Johnson's first meeting with new Chiefs coach Herman Edwards, who informed his Pro Bowl running back that he would be the featured back next year regardless of the availability of Priest Holmes. "He told me I would be the guy going into training camp and that I should start the season prepared to start," said Johnson, who rushed for 1,750 despite starting only nine games after Holmes went out with head and spinal injuries. "He said, I want to tell you this now that when we get going, you'll have to be the guy on this team who is the leader and gets things done," Johnson added.

He also told Lamont Jordan he would get 30-40% of the carries his last year. Herm is very loyal to older vets - unless Priest is traded or released I think he will have a bigger role than Herm is letting on.

I was in doubt that Priest would return this year before hearng this. This makes me think this is a definite possibility.

For fantasy purposes, the situation is just reverse of what it was last year (assuming Priest returns).Draft Johnson in the top 3-5 picks and select Holmes as his backup in rounds 3-5.

there was an rb situation? :confused: nothing has changed in my opinion. only question is who is lj's backup.

I see Priest wanting to go to another team. His time is limited and I doubt he really wants to be on the short end of sharring duties. I thought Priest did well last year in that giving up playing time for LJ and seemed to be open to it all year long. I don't think he will be that open to being a 2nd stringer, not for a guy who set goals of leading the league in Rushing Yds and TD's.

For fantasy purposes, the situation is just reverse of what it was last year (assuming Priest returns).

Draft Johnson in the top 3-5 picks and select Holmes as his backup in rounds 3-5.
Holmes in rounds 3-5?????Seems awfully early to me.

For fantasy purposes, the situation is just reverse of what it was last year (assuming Priest returns).

Draft Johnson in the top 3-5 picks and select Holmes as his backup in rounds 3-5.
That's what they said this year about Johnson. Glad I didn't listen.

With Johnson's lack of pass protection skills it is obvious Priest would be in for third downs and probably many 2 minute drill situations where you have to pass a lot. But I did notice the Chiefs throwing more balls to Johnson as the season went on which was something I felt they had gotten away from.

Topeka Capitaol Journal article
CHIEFS NOTES -- More signs continue to point to the elevation of Mike Solari from offensive line coach to Chiefs offensive coordinator.Unless, that is, he ends up as offensive coordinator at Oakland under Al Saunders, who apparently remains the top candidate for the Raiders vacant head coaching position.Edwards on Wednesday was expected to interview John Matsko, the offensive line coach for the past seven years in St. Louis, for a similar position in Kansas City. That would suggest that Solari, the Chiefs line coach since 1997, is either moving up or out. Sources at Arrowhead are confident that Solari, who was an offensive coordinator at the University of Pittsburgh in 1986, a year after he ended a three-year stint at Kansas, will remain in Kansas City.

I see Priest wanting to go to another team.  His time is limited and I doubt he really wants to be on the short end of sharring duties.  I thought Priest did well last year in that giving up playing time for LJ and seemed to be open to it all year long.  I don't think he will be that open to being a 2nd stringer, not for a guy who set goals of leading the league in Rushing Yds and TD's.
His contract, on top of his age and injury status, probably makes him untradeable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Topeka Capitaol Journal article

CHIEFS NOTES -- More signs continue to point to the elevation of Mike Solari from offensive line coach to Chiefs offensive coordinator.

Unless, that is, he ends up as offensive coordinator at Oakland under Al Saunders, who apparently remains the top candidate for the Raiders vacant head coaching position.

Edwards on Wednesday was expected to interview John Matsko, the offensive line coach for the past seven years in St. Louis, for a similar position in Kansas City. That would suggest that Solari, the Chiefs line coach since 1997, is either moving up or out. Sources at Arrowhead are confident that Solari, who was an offensive coordinator at the University of Pittsburgh in 1986, a year after he ended a three-year stint at Kansas, will remain in Kansas City.
Won't be Oakland under Suanders...he is going to Wash.I have heard rumblings of Solari going to Dallas to replace Payton.

I see Priest wanting to go to another team.  His time is limited and I doubt he really wants to be on the short end of sharring duties.  I thought Priest did well last year in that giving up playing time for LJ and seemed to be open to it all year long.  I don't think he will be that open to being a 2nd stringer, not for a guy who set goals of leading the league in Rushing Yds and TD's.
His contract, on top of his age and injury status, probably makes him untradeable.
Where do you guys find player contract info?

I see Priest wanting to go to another team. His time is limited and I doubt he really wants to be on the short end of sharring duties. I thought Priest did well last year in that giving up playing time for LJ and seemed to be open to it all year long. I don't think he will be that open to being a 2nd stringer, not for a guy who set goals of leading the league in Rushing Yds and TD's.
Where do you guys find player contract info?
You can find yearly salary info at the NFL Players Association site http://nflpa.org/main/main.aspIt does not list bonus or cap hit information. When I need more detailed info, I just google search for the contract details.

He also told Lamont Jordan he would get 30-40% of the carries his last year.  Herm is very loyal to older vets - unless Priest is traded or released I think he will have a bigger role than Herm is letting on.
Herm has no loyalty to Priest. Johnson is superior to Holmes.

He also told Lamont Jordan he would get 30-40% of the carries his last year.  Herm is very loyal to older vets - unless Priest is traded or released I think he will have a bigger role than Herm is letting on.
Herm has no loyalty to Priest. Johnson is superior to Holmes.
Exactly, he had loyalty to Martin, there is nothing with Holmes, and why would he risk a possible great relationship with Larry Legend!

Priest has KC by the balls, just to be blunt.If comes back, he is a $4 million or more role player on a team that is already up against the cap, and has a top 3 RB already in place. But PH wants his bonus that kicks in this offseason.The CHiefs will persuade him to retire, as to get out of the salary. They wanna come to a settlement and let him retire, which is what a 33 yr. old RB should do anyway. However because this new contract he held out for in 2003 kicks in now, he cant be traded because of the cap hit KC would take.If Priest stays, he isnt worth what they are paying him as a 33 year old, part-time RB who has spinal issues. He cant be traded or released as the cap hit is WORSE than if he stays.Needless to say, as a KC homer I see an offseason battle betwen Priest and Lamar Hunt/Carl Peterson. May get ugly.

I never though KC should have redid holmes contract. Now he is hurt and washed up before it even kicks in.

My take on the Priest Holmes' situation....let him finish his career out in New England!!!
That's actually an interesting idea because Dillon's starting to show his age and Priest's pass-catching abilities would be a great fit for that offense. It would also give Priest a chance to win a championship.

Priest has KC by the balls, just to be blunt.

If comes back, he is a $4 million or more role player on a team that is already up against the cap, and has a top 3 RB already in place. But PH wants his bonus that kicks in this offseason.

The CHiefs will persuade him to retire, as to get out of the salary. They wanna come to a settlement and let him retire, which is what a 33 yr. old RB should do anyway. However because this new contract he held out for in 2003 kicks in now, he cant be traded because of the cap hit KC would take.

If Priest stays, he isnt worth what they are paying him as a 33 year old, part-time RB who has spinal issues. He cant be traded or released as the cap hit is WORSE than if he stays.

Needless to say, as a KC homer I see an offseason battle betwen Priest and Lamar Hunt/Carl Peterson. May get ugly.
The Chiefs should look at Priest's salary as payment for services already rendered. Holmes has to look out for his family now that his playing days are almost done. No way in God's green earth should he give money back.

If comes back, he is a $4 million or more role player on a team that is already up against the cap, and has a top 3 RB already in place.  But PH wants his bonus that kicks in this offseason.

The CHiefs will persuade him to retire, as to get out of the salary.  They wanna come to a settlement and let him retire, which is what a 33 yr. old RB should do anyway.  However because this new contract he held out for in 2003 kicks in now, he cant be traded because of the cap hit KC would take.

If Priest stays, he isnt worth what they are paying him as a 33 year old, part-time RB who has spinal issues.  He cant be traded or released as the cap hit is WORSE than if he stays.

Needless to say, as a KC homer I see an offseason battle betwen Priest and Lamar Hunt/Carl Peterson.  May get ugly.
The Chiefs should look at Priest's salary as payment for services already rendered. Holmes has to look out for his family now that his playing days are almost done. No way in God's green earth should he give money back.
Is he having trouble feeding his family too?

If comes back, he is a $4 million or more role player on a team that is already up against the cap, and has a top 3 RB already in place.  But PH wants his bonus that kicks in this offseason.

The CHiefs will persuade him to retire, as to get out of the salary.  They wanna come to a settlement and let him retire, which is what a 33 yr. old RB should do anyway.  However because this new contract he held out for in 2003 kicks in now, he cant be traded because of the cap hit KC would take.

If Priest stays, he isnt worth what they are paying him as a 33 year old, part-time RB who has spinal issues.  He cant be traded or released as the cap hit is WORSE than if he stays.

Needless to say, as a KC homer I see an offseason battle betwen Priest and Lamar Hunt/Carl Peterson.  May get ugly.
Is he having trouble feeding his family too?
Probably not, but he got that contract in 2003 for the purpose of setting himself and his family up for life. Why in hell would he give any of that back?, especially since his ability to get another big payday is all but gone.

Im all for giving PH some dough, but do it in a RETIREMENT settlement. His salary will CRIPPLE thsi team next season.......thsi league is a business also. Pay Priest 5 million or so in a retirement deal, and then keep himon as a coach....any way to get that fat contract off our cap.Thats how I would handle it and I am betting PH would do that if he got enough of that original Signing bonus.He knows he cant hack it anymore like he used to........what else is there to come back to.

That's what they said this year about Johnson. Glad I didn't listen.
Only difference is that Holmes is on the backend of his career and Larry Johnson is in his prime.

I believe that this is a move to try to get him to retire. But I think Holmes shows up as the starter or not just for the paycheck. No way he retires....No way he's traded. They may restructure him again and give him a big bonus and spread it out over a few years. Then he retires next year and they don't take a huge cap hit.

found this at the cheifs website in regards to johnson:

Signed a seven-year contract with Kansas City (7/17/03)
anyone know how much this is worth, or what the yearly salaries are?i have to imagine that before long, they're not going to be able to afford to carry johnson and holmes.

also, doesn't seven years seem like a lot?

anyone know how much this is worth, or what the yearly salaries are?i have to imagine that before long, they're not going to be able to afford to carry johnson and holmes.

Not taking bonuses into account.
Code:
Larry JohnsonSalary History2003  452000.002004  515000.002005  628000.002006  741000.002007  854000.002008  967000.002009  1080000.002008  25000.002009  25000.00
Code:
Priest Holmes	2001  448000.002002  750000.002003  550000.002004  660000.002005  2415000.002006  3250000.002007  4000000.002008  5000000.002009  6500000.00
Looks like LJ is has a cap friendly contract. Holmes, not so much. 3.25 mil for a backup? Yikes.

Code:
Larry JohnsonSalary History2003  452000.002004  515000.002005  628000.002006  741000.002007  854000.002008  967000.002009  1080000.002008  25000.002009  25000.00
Code:
Priest Holmes	2001  448000.002002  750000.002003  550000.002004  660000.002005  2415000.002006  3250000.002007  4000000.002008  5000000.002009  6500000.00
Looks like LJ is has a cap friendly contract. Holmes, not so much. 3.25 mil for a backup? Yikes.
How long will it be till LJ want's to be paid? If he was smart he would do it the day after Holmes retires.

Code:
Larry JohnsonSalary History2003  452000.002004  515000.002005  628000.002006  741000.002007  854000.002008  967000.002009  1080000.002008  25000.002009  25000.00
Code:
Priest Holmes	2001  448000.002002  750000.002003  550000.002004  660000.002005  2415000.002006  3250000.002007  4000000.002008  5000000.002009  6500000.00
How long will it be till LJ want's to be paid? If he was smart he would do it the day after Holmes retires.
good question. that was kinda the other thing i was getting at.

He also told Lamont Jordan he would get 30-40% of the carries his last year. Herm is very loyal to older vets - unless Priest is traded or released I think he will have a bigger role than Herm is letting on.
I feel Herm made the logical choice. He choses the better back at this point in time. It wasn't his loyalty to CMart that kept him in the game, it was CMarts production, and that kept Jordan in limbo. I applaud the way he handled this.

i honestly believe when Vermeil retired that he took any chance of Priest playing w/ the Chiefs again w/ him. this looks like a raiders/gannon "retirement" situation. Priest has way too much pride to come back and play as 2nd fiddle to LJ.

Users who are viewing this thread