What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Every Simpsons Ever Marathon (1 Viewer)

Sebowski said:
Ive been wondering why the Simpsons just isnt that good any more.
Because Family Guy. That's why.
I think FG sucks now. It's become a show of trying to push the boundaries and too political. Boundaries being pushed are funny unless that's your goal. If you're just trying to be crass, it's kind of sad. I watch but I find myself rarely laughing. Stewie can still make me laugh, but that's about it.
Family Guy is terrible now. The first couple seasons were good, but at this point its almost painful to watch. The South Park episode that skewered Family Guy didn't help either; really exposed the lack of creativity.

Simpsons is still OK IMO; it's hit or miss. Definitely better than Family Guy, but not nearly as good as stuff like Bob's Burgers and Archer. Any time a show is as great as this one was, people are always gonna kill it as soon as the quality takes a step down, like they're somehow ruining the legacy just because they don't make Last Exit to Springfield or Marge and the Monorail every week. It's kinda silly.
Yeah. I totally get that. Maybe it's because I never put the Simpsons on a huge pedestal. I mean, I've always loved it, but I didn't consider it a fine work of art. To me it's always just been really good. Maybe that's where the difference is. :shrug:
Yeah I agree with you even though I did put the Simpsons on a pedestal. I still enjoy most of the episodes, and some of them are outstanding.

Sebowski said:
I think FG sucks now. It's become a show of trying to push the boundaries and too political. Boundaries being pushed are funny unless that's your goal. If you're just trying to be crass, it's kind of sad. I watch but I find myself rarely laughing. Stewie can still make me laugh, but that's about it.
Noy sure you got my point. Which is weird because it was so eloquent and stuff. Family Guy sucks and it ruined comedy writing for other shows that it influenced. Too many stupid meaningless jokes and flashbacks piled on each other for no reason at all. Simpsons starting turning that way and I blame the success of family guy.

Sebowski said:
Noy sure you got my point. Which is weird because it was so eloquent and stuff. Family Guy sucks and it ruined comedy writing for other shows that it influenced. Too many stupid meaningless jokes and flashbacks piled on each other for no reason at all. Simpsons starting turning that way and I blame the success of family guy.
Oh. Yeah. I totally misunderstood your post. :bag:

They've #### out over 530 episodes of this show. I have to imagine it's almost impossible to continue to make the same characters funny over that period of time.

Sebowski said:
Family Guy came right around season 9 of the Simpsons. It was fresh and pushed the envelope the way the Simpsons wouldn't. I think for those first 3 seasons and then the first 3 when they returned were some of the funniest shows I've ever seen. The quality has dipped dramatically ever since they decided to go for all gags and no plot. The best episodes always followed that 80's sitcom formula but had the side jokes mixed in.

Family Guys success was due in large part to the Simpsons first lull in quality. They filled the void and took it further. But now the show is a shell of itself. I prefer American Dad now to FG.

I still enjoy Family Guy and get a few laughs during each episode. I'm not sure what year I stopped watching Simpsons. Probably around 2005 or so. I've tuned in a couple of times and couldn't get through an episode.

eta:

found this in the Simpsons movie thread:

jamny said:
I gave up on the show last season after being a big fan since the Tracy Ullman show.
So I guess 2006.

The movie was very good though, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
They've #### out over 530 episodes of this show. I have to imagine it's almost impossible to continue to make the same characters funny over that period of time.
Especially when you can't have them age or change in any significant way.
I've always thought they should have a season or two where they show them going through life, but I guess it would be hard to show a grown up Bart.

Old age Homer could be great though.

I've always thought they should have a season or two where they show them going through life, but I guess it would be hard to show a grown up Bart.

They have done the "flash-forward" thing for at least one episode ("Bart to the Future"). Trying it for a full season would at least be something new and interesting.

They have done the "flash-forward" thing for at least one episode ("Bart to the Future"). Trying it for a full season would at least be something new and interesting.
what happened to you, China? You used to be cool.

Flanders: Now throughout history when people get wood, they'll think of trojans!
Homer: Hehehe! Trojans!
Lisa: What are you laughing at, dad?
Homer: If I'm laughing at what I think I am, it's very funny.

Clearly you dont watch the show. And do you realize the irony of saying some characters never change when your avatar is Peppermint Patty..? :lmao:

Clearly you dont watch the show. And do you realize the irony of saying some characters never change when your avatar is Peppermint Patty..? :lmao:
Talking #### about a complete stranger's lack of familiarity with secondary Peanuts characters. Outstanding. This might be the most FFA post of all time.

what happened to you, China? You used to be cool.
I can't believe "Smell you later" replaced good-bye

Talking #### about a complete stranger's lack of familiarity with secondary Peanuts characters. Outstanding. This might be the most FFA post of all time.
I didint know you two were dating.. Sorry bro.

I saw a list of all the musicians that have been on the show. Long list.

Homer at the Bachman-Turner Overdive concert: No new crap. Takin' Care Of Business right now.

George Harrison: Hello Homer, I'm George Harrison

Homer: Oh my God. Oh my God--where did you get that brownie?

I saw a list of all the musicians that have been on the show. Long list.

Homer at the Bachman-Turner Overdive concert: Oh, no. No new crap. Takin' Care Of Business right now.

George Harrison: Hello Homer, I'm George Harrison

Homer: Oh my God. Oh my God--where did you get that brownie?
David Byrne produced "Everybody Hates Ned Flanders"

One of my favorite lines, for some reason, gets cut in syndication. Maybe to save time or something, but it's a shame they cut it.

It's in the one Treehouse of Horror episode where Homer becomes 3-D. They bring in Professor Frink and he draws a square on the blackboard:

Frink: [drawing on a blackboard] Here is an ordinary square --

Chief Wiggum: Whoa, whoa -- slow down, egghead!

I use Wiggum's line all the time in real life when people start to explain something to me that doesn't need explaining. :lol:
Wiggum & his kid are both great.

"Ah, he's a dumb kid, but he's an above average dog. Roll over, son!"
I quote Ralph more than just about anyone.

"The Doctor said I wouldn't have so many nose bleeds if I kept my finger outta there."

and

"My cat's breath smells like catfood"

After watching a lot of episodes, I think my favorite season is season 6. Every episode is awesome: Clown College, Bart goes to Australia, Itchy and Scratchy Land, Stone Cutters, Gummy Venus, Simpson and Son's Tonic... just non-stop classics.

I'm finding some good stuff in the last throes of this marathon, but it seems like they are going to the parody well one too many times. The Lost one should have been much better.

Really getting into the dregs now. Although I admit to chuckling during the Michelle Obama episode when Superintendent Chalmers apologizes for Skinner by saying, "He's our Joe Biden."

This thing is mercifully over.

Now onto The League mini-marathon (which returns Wednesday night with new episodes).

One of my favorite lines, for some reason, gets cut in syndication. Maybe to save time or something, but it's a shame they cut it.

It's in the one Treehouse of Horror episode where Homer becomes 3-D. They bring in Professor Frink and he draws a square on the blackboard:

Frink: [drawing on a blackboard] Here is an ordinary square --

Chief Wiggum: Whoa, whoa -- slow down, egghead!

I use Wiggum's line all the time in real life when people start to explain something to me that doesn't need explaining. :lol:
Wiggum & his kid are both great.

"Ah, he's a dumb kid, but he's an above average dog. Roll over, son!"
I quote Ralph more than just about anyone.

"The Doctor said I wouldn't have so many nose bleeds if I kept my finger outta there."

and

"My cat's breath smells like catfood"
"Super Nintendo Chalmers" :thumbup:

(To Bart) "This is my sandbox. Over there is the deep end, I'm not allowed to go in there. That's where I see the leprechaun, he tells me to burn things."

Show and Tell in the classroom: "And, when the doctor said I didn't have worms any more, that was the happiest day of my life."

"I wanna be a triangle."

You ever known a siren to be good? (Chuckles) No, Mr. Simpson, it's not. It's a bad siren. That's the computer in case I went blind, telling me, "Sell the vehicle to this fella, and you're outta business." That's what the siren says. It seems that the Ultimate Behemoth is a wee bit out of your price range. And wee bit is me being polite, you couldn't afford this thing even if you lived to be a million.

"Stealing!! I can't believe it Bart! Haven't you learned anything from that guy that gives the sermon every Sunday? Captain what's his name?!?!!!"

!

The John Waters episode was on recently.

Homer: You know me, Marge. I like my beer cold, my tv loud, and my homosexuals flaaaaming.

Homer: They ruined all our best names, like Bruce, and Lance, and Julian.

Users who are viewing this thread