What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fans of non-local teams (2 Viewers)

We moved around when I was a kid, and by the time I really started becoming interested in football around the age of 10, we were living in a place completely devoid of a professional team.

So I just watched lots of games and started collecting football cards. Over the next couple of years I kept on gravitating towards the Vikings and their star-studded defense, with guys like Chris Doleman, Keith Millard, Scott Studwell, Carl Lee, Joey Browner...

Thus it evolved naturally and by the time I was a teenager they were my team. And just like Gally, I've been hating myself for it ever since.

Awesome thread, so great to read everyone's fantastic stories.

I think a lot of fans start out as kids and simply prefer different logos and colors.  That's probably a reason why the Raiders are so popular.  Who doesn't like Silver and Black and white?  And pirates?
And then @eoMMan nails my story (edited slightly above out of respect).

Born and raised in Toronto. So no NFL. I was 8 and though I had always knew about football (CFL from the Argooooos, NFL on the American channel affiliates). My older brother was a fan of the Raiders and I fell in line. In addition to loving watching the games with my bro, what young boy could resist the Raiders? They were brash, bold, in-your-face rogues. Feared and loathed, bad-a$$es through and through. They pillaged...just for fun.

But at that age I was starting to pick up on the nuances of the game. And appreciate the sport for what it was -- a violent ballet of blood and inches. A true team sport where men banded together in an hour-long war for single purpose - to win. And this band of true underacheiving underdogs epitomized the will to win that year.

My brother bemoaned the loss of the Snake. Then Pastorini broke his leg, and a journeyman QB with an incredible comeback story led the team on a tear, becoming the first wildcard team to reach the bowl.

And man, what a team. You had Branch and Chandler, and Kenny King running behind Art Shell, Gene Upshaw, and Dave Dalby. On the other side of the ball, you had Tooz, the Mad Stork, Millen and Martin, and Lester Hayes patrolling the backfield. You had Flores as head coach (and why the 3x SB-winnning, first-ever Hispanic starting QB, first ever-minority coach to win a bowl, and one of only two NFLers who won a bowl as a player, assistant coach, and coach is not in the HOF is an insult and a continued black mark on the NFL -- but I digress).

And man what a game. Plunkett jumped all over the Eagles with two early TDs, then Rod Martin jumped all over Ron Jaworski to really put this game out of reach.

Halftime show was Up With People, for goodness sake.

I was hooked and never looked back.

I will always have a soft-spot in my heart for the Bills, and their fans -- they are the team I saw the most, live and on TV.

But my heart and soul will belong to the Raiders.

Users who are viewing this thread