What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy Discussion/Rankings/Etc... FIRST BASE EDITION (1 Viewer)

John Bender

Footballguy
FIRST BASEMEN:

1. Albert Pujols - St. Louis Cardinals - Not too much discussion or justification required with this one. I really don't see him slowing down, and I would have no problem selecting him first overall in almost every format. He's only 30, and last year was supposed to be the year that he would be hampered by the elbow injury and produce less and he ends up hitting 10 more homeruns more than he did in 2008. Nothing really not to like from a fantasy perspective, and it only helps that Holliday was retained.

MY PROJECTIONS: .332 BA, 43 HR, 133 RBI, 10 SB, 112 RUNS

2. Miguel Cabrera - Detroit Tigers - I have to disclose that Miggy is my favorite player in the game today outside of Ryan Braun. I think of the hitters in the American League, Miggy has the best chance at making a run at a triple crown. It will never happen, but he's the most likely in my eyes. I'm only slighly concerned about his apparent alcohol problem that bubbled up in the off season but not enough to drop him in my rankings. He will no longer have 3B eligibility which will hurt his value slightly but there's no reason it won't be business as usual for Cabrera. He is now in his prime. He is a career .311 hitter, I don't see why he's not a 6th or 7th overall selection in most drafts. After Pujols, Hanley, and ARod, I wouldn't find it crazy for Miggy to be selected 4th overall.

MY PROJECTIONS: .315 BA, 34 HR, 109 RBI, 2 SB, 95 RUNS

3. Mark Teixeira - New York Yankees - I'm going to get slammed by many for ranking him here and that's fine with me. This is the spot where I would legitimately select Teixeira. I get giddy thinking about having a mid-range pick and Teixeira falling to me in Round 2. Of any of the thumpers on this list, he is by far in the best situation. The guy will back into 100 RBIs and 100 Runs accidently. He is playing in a hitter friendly ballpark and he has an insane amount of protection around him. The reason I give him the edge over Howard is the upside in batting average. More about why I dropped Ryan Howard to 4th in the next blurb though. Select Teix with confidence, you know what you are going to get.

MY PROJECTIONS: .298 BA, 37 HR, 120 RBI, 1 SB, 103 RUNS

4. Ryan Howard - Philadelphia Phillies - The top 5 or so first basemen are just tough to rank. All of them have tremendous upside, but I think Howard is the most volatile of them all just due to the streakiness. There's no doubt he will finish the season as a HR and RBI leader in the NL. The problem is (and I'm writing this from more of a Head 2 Head perspective) the weeks that he will sap your batting average and run numbers. When you have a big matchup against someone right behind you in the standings, you have no idea which Ryan Howard you are going to get that week. You might get a .170 Batting Average, 1 Homerun and 3 RBIs. You could get .350 Batting Average, 9 Homeruns and 20 RBIs. My bottom line: in my head to head leagues, he goes fourth. In a roto league, depending on how you plan on drafting the rest of your team, I could see him being the 2nd best first basemen.

MY PROJECTIONS: .272 BA, 44 HR, 144 RBI, 1 SB, 103 RUNS

5. Prince Fielder - Milwaukee Brewers - Prince is great, but I'm not going all in on him yet. He put up Ryan Howard-esque numbers in 2009 and I will probably be kicking myself for not selecting him come the end of this season, but I'd like to see one more solid season out of him before I move him up into a higher ranking. The issue will be that he will never be the hitter for average that Pujols or Cabrera are. He's admittedly very hard for me to gauge and I'm scared of ranking him at 5th best. If anything, it goes to show how deep this position is in 2010.

MY PROJECTIONS: .281 BA, 40 HR, 131 RBI, 2 SB, 103 RUNS

6. Justin Morneau - Minnesota Twins - He keeps slipping a bit in drafts, and I love it. I feel like he is going to be a forgotten commodity because of the Big 5 at this position. He's one of the most reliable fantasy contributors I can think of in recent memory. He has reach 30 HR in 3 of the last 4 seasons and will have plenty of RBI opportunities with Mauer hitting in front of him. The Twins have a lot of nice parts on offense and Morneau is their big bat. I like his opportunities and the injury issue that he battled last season seems to be completely in the rearview.

MY PROJECTIONS: .298 BA, 32 HR, 114 RBI, 1 SB, 91 RUNS

7. Adrian Gonzalez - San Diego Padres - I wish I could rank him higher, but I cannot until he is traded out of PetCo park. I'm salivating at thinking about what he could do in a smaller stadium. The guy still manages to produce but won't be a top 3 first basemen until he's traded from the Padres. He can hold his own though in the power department as long as you can mitigate the damage he may do to your batting average. Beware, if you are light in the run department when it comes time to select a first basement, you might want to look elsewhere. He won't stack up to the others there.

MY PROJECTIONS: .272 BA, 39 HR, 99 RBI, 0 SB, 89 RUNS

8. Kevin Youkilis - Boston Red Sox - He's still slept on a bit because he's not a sexy name. He is reliable though. He will hit in front of Victor Martinez; he will hit behind guys who can get on base and score runs. There is no reason he can't be around his career medians in any of the vital categories. I like him as a value play outside of the first 5 rounds or so. I do think the upside is less than a few of the guys I'm going to rank behind him though. With Youkilis, you know what you are getting though and that counts for a lot in fantasy baseball. I may even consider swapping him with Adrian Gonzalez depending on categorical needs at that point.

MY PROJECTIONS: .309 BA, 26 HR, 94 RBI, 6 SB, 92 RUNS

9. Kendry Morales - Los Angeles Angels - Here is one of the guys that I think has the more upside than Youkilis. I like the opportunity he's going to get to be the power guy in Anaheim. There are a few one-season wonders that could be flukes; Morales is not one I consider a fluke. I would confidently draft him in the Youk/Votto/Berkman territory. I was very conservative with his batting average projection because I'd like to see one more season of plus .300 production. He had an insanely high BABIP last year at .351. If we bring that back down to earth again, I think he rounds out somewhere in the .275 - .285 range.

MY PROJECTIONS: .279 BA, 30 HR, 99 RBI, 1 SB, 88 RUNS

10. Joey Votto - Cincinnati Reds - Everyone is going crazy over Votto's breakout season. I'm going to temper expectations slightly, though I feel the ceiling is high. I agree his 2009 campaign was impressive, and I think he does have .300-25-90 potential on a consistent basis, but I still rank him 10th overall which speaks to the depth at first base this year. I don't see any reason he shouldn't be able to repeat his 2009 numbers but I just feel like the "risk factor" is still very loose on him.

MY PROJECTIONS: .294 BA, 23 HR, 84 RBI, 4 SB, 91 RUNS

The Rest...

11. Lance Berkman - I'm nervous a breakdown is coming/already here.

12. Derrek Lee - See Lance Berkman, I hate the Cubs lineup, he will be on my "avoid" list.

13. Billy Butler - Popular sleeper pick, I'd debate grabbing him over Berkman or Lee depending on how much I like risk.

14. Adam LaRoche - I'm higher than everyone else on him. I love his situation.

15. Chris Davis - Big upside.

16. Carlos Pena - Huge downside.

17. James Loney - Better real life player than fantasy player

18. Jorge Cantu - Lukewarm on him

19. Paul Konerko - Plan on the power, plan on needing to look elsewhere for batting average help.

20. Nick Johnson - Sleeper Alert

21 and beyond: Todd Helton, Aubrey Huff, Casey Kotchmann, Carlos Delgado, Russell Branyan, Lyle Overbay, Daniel Murphy

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW: When it came down to it in a draft, depending on how things look out of spring training, I would probably feel comfortable bumping Nick Johnson all the way up to 16th.

thanks for the writeup

miggy to high. not enough protection, IMO.

i believe in fielder, have him ahead howard.

votto will be a top 5 1st baseman this year.

thanks for the writeupmiggy to high. not enough protection, IMO.i believe in fielder, have him ahead howard.votto will be a top 5 1st baseman this year.
Miggy didn't have much help or protection in Florida either though. I'd argue his situation is better in Detroit than it ever was in Florida but I totally get your point and I guess it would up for debate. Again, I'm a self admitted Miggy Mancrusher but he has helped me win 2 championships in a row now in my highstakes league.

When I get back from a business trip, I'm going to look more deeply into Votto. I do think he could finish as no 6 amongst first baseman. I remember he had a hell of a tear last year where I was kicking myself for not taking him.

I think Joey Votto will be a good value pick this year. I expect a great season for him.
Votto is going to be a terrible value pick this season. In the mock NCFB drafts I've been doing so far he has been gone by the mid-second round. If you think he's going to break out, you're going to have to reach to get him. Big fan, but I doubt he'll be on any of my teams this season.

I have the 11th pick in my main OBP league, so I may end up taking Fielder, Howard, whatever makes it down to me with my first pick. Honestly, I think Cabrera is going to be cleaned up and ready to go come Spring. I think he could put up massive numbers again. I'd probably rank them (again, OBP) Pujols, Fielder, Teixeira/Howard/Cabrera.

Failing any of those, I'm praying for Adrian Gonzalez (or Youkilis, although I'd play at 3B) to fall to me in the third. Again, OBP machine, and the possibility of a mid-season trade is mouthwatering. Even without that, he's going to put up amazing numbers.

Kind of agnostic on Morales and Votto, I think skills match the hype there. Not crazy about Lee, I like Berkman and Pena as bouncebacks if they slip. Should I miss all of those, Helton is my failsafe.

I really like Chris Davis as a post hype sleeper. His abysmal 1st half last year will allow him to go for peanuts. Guy still has 40 homer power and his average should be in the 260-280 range.

1) Pujols

2) Fielder

3) Teixeira

4) Cabrera

5) Gonzalez

6) Howard

7) Morales

8) Votto

9) Youk

10) Berkman

11) D. Lee

12) Morneau

I don't have any projections for them but this is where I have them slotted. Right now, I'm a little higher on Berkman than most. I think he still has enough left in the tank to be top 10 this year.

Morneau's wrist injury worries me though I haven't heard anything good or bad about his recovery. He is a wildcard in the rankings - he could go up a good 6 spots or slide down a few. Howards avg is too low and I've never really been a fan anyway.

I'll never understand why Fielder seems to get so little love.

thanks for the writeup

miggy to high. not enough protection, IMO.

i believe in fielder, have him ahead howard.

votto will be a top 5 1st baseman this year.
I pretty much am on board with this post. I love Miggy as a player and at age 26 he may still have his best year ahead of him and yes, this could be that year. But the lineup around him is brutal right now. While that won't stop Miggy from putting up his usual solid numbers in AVG and HRs it certainly won't help his RBI numbers and RUNS scored. IMO his BA numbers aren't enough to rank him ahead of guys like Howard and Fielder who should hit 10 more HRs and knock in around 40 more RBI while scoring more runs as well.I also like Fielder slightly better than Howard. They seem like pretty much the same player, but I think Fielder offers more upside in BA and at age 25 if he were to somehow get a power spike, watch out!

I'm on the Votto bandwagon. He's my 6th ranked 1B. He's at a great age where players start to break out and he seems to be a step ahead of that. Votto hit .220 last August but other than that he hit over .320 in EVERY OTHER MONTH. Votto also only hit .306 at home last season and I expect those numbers to improve playing in that band box. His numbers also show that he handled lefties to the tune of .329 which is better than solid for a left handed bat.

I'll take a shot and rank em...

1. Pujols

2. Fielder

3. Howard

4. Texeira

5. Miggy

6. Votto

7. Gonzalez

8. Youkilis

9. Moralas

10. Moreau- Worried about his back and would probably just shy away from him.

The only top 1B I don't like, for their price anyway, is a guy I was excessively high on last season, Mark Reynolds. He was a great value at pick 180 and I would have targeted him around pick 100, he was capable of a season like 2009, although that much speed was a bit of a surprise. Still, that's his ceiling, and he's being drafted like a repeat of 2009 is at least somewhat likely. To those owners I say, good luck. I still have him in a keeper for a decent price but I won't be owning him anywhere else.

Ideally I'd like to have my CI be a 1B as well and that 1B to be a top 15 guy but if that doesn't happen my eyes are set on Garrett Jones (1st) and Nick Johnson and Kyle Blanks if I miss on Jones. I don't see any bad picks among the top 15 or so and I don't veer much from the consensus except for avoiding Berkman, like I usually do.

Where would an Adam Dunn fit in the 1B rankings?
To make things less confusing, I'm ranking guys at the position where they played the most games last year. He played the majority of his games in the OF so he will be in the OF rankings that I post this week.OBP League I'd slot him in much higher than I would in a AVG league but probably around 16 or later on my rankings.

I like Adrian Gonzalez, your at least getting fair price if he plays the whole season with the Padres, no? The chance he gets traded is just a bonus.

1) Pujols2) Fielder3) Teixeira4) Cabrera5) Gonzalez6) Howard7) Morales8) Votto9) Youk10) Berkman11) D. Lee12) MorneauI don't have any projections for them but this is where I have them slotted. Right now, I'm a little higher on Berkman than most. I think he still has enough left in the tank to be top 10 this year.Morneau's wrist injury worries me though I haven't heard anything good or bad about his recovery. He is a wildcard in the rankings - he could go up a good 6 spots or slide down a few. Howards avg is too low and I've never really been a fan anyway. I'll never understand why Fielder seems to get so little love.
Morneau had a back injury, not wrist, big difference IMO when it comes to your swing. I'm a Twins guy so biased in his favor but I don't see him dropping past Votto, Youk, Berkman etc... He only played 135 games last year and still dropped 30 HR with 100 RBI. He'll be healthy and have a better lineup in front of him with O-Dog added to the lineup. It doesn't help having Mauer in front of him and a healthy Kubel and Cuddy behind him.

This is from October 2009, and it says the surgery went well, but Morneau did require surgery on his wrist in addition to dealing with a back injury:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=min
The more I read about Morneau, the more I'm bumping him down. In the end, he isn't going to outproduce his draft position, and there are a lot of reasons to believe he could under perform it, possibly by a lot. I've moved him below Votto and Reynolds and would probably take Youk over him too, up in the air on that one though.

This is from October 2009, and it says the surgery went well, but Morneau did require surgery on his wrist in addition to dealing with a back injury:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=min
The more I read about Morneau, the more I'm bumping him down. In the end, he isn't going to outproduce his draft position, and there are a lot of reasons to believe he could under perform it, possibly by a lot. I've moved him below Votto and Reynolds and would probably take Youk over him too, up in the air on that one though.
Wrist and shoulder surgeries always make nervous when it comes to batters, especially wrist. Unless I see a ridiculous value in my auction league, I am going to steer clear of Morneau this year. Plenty of other options out there.

1) Pujols

2) Fielder

3) Teixeira

4) Cabrera

5) Gonzalez

6) Howard

7) Morales

8) Votto

9) Youk

10) Berkman

11) D. Lee

12) Morneau

I don't have any projections for them but this is where I have them slotted. Right now, I'm a little higher on Berkman than most. I think he still has enough left in the tank to be top 10 this year.

Morneau's wrist injury worries me though I haven't heard anything good or bad about his recovery. He is a wildcard in the rankings - he could go up a good 6 spots or slide down a few. Howards avg is too low and I've never really been a fan anyway.

I'll never understand why Fielder seems to get so little love.
Morneau had a back injury, not wrist, big difference IMO when it comes to your swing. I'm a Twins guy so biased in his favor but I don't see him dropping past Votto, Youk, Berkman etc... He only played 135 games last year and still dropped 30 HR with 100 RBI. He'll be healthy and have a better lineup in front of him with O-Dog added to the lineup. It doesn't help having Mauer in front of him and a healthy Kubel and Cuddy behind him.
http://twins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=...sp&c_id=minI do agree that the back injury is a concern. I didn't mention it but I do agree. THat is where I have him in my rankings but I could see him being more valuable than all of the players you listed. I'm usually a bit gun shy on guys coming off injuries that could sap their power.

Great thread...I'm now considering swapping Teix and Miggy in my rankings.

Thanks for the discussion.
It really depends how much risk you're willing to accept, Teix is safer, a sober Miggy could be great. He could also be the exact same or he could have setbacks in rehab and have it effect his game, he's got some risk regardless. Teix does not, just be prepared for a slow April but after that it's all gravy. I should probably choose who I'd prefer just in case I have to choose, but I don't think I'll have to because I'll take Longoria before both.

Users who are viewing this thread