What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy Football Sucks (1 Viewer)

Mostly the Packers thread and the FFA.  Every once in a while I like to see what's going on with a player.  I've been coming to this site for almost 20 years.  Habits are hard to break and I haven't found a better one.
I figured it was something like that.  I was just curious.

Just be glad you're not my buddy today.

We play in a keeper league, I had Brees for 5 years straight until this season. My best friend/arch fantasy nemesis drafts him. Texts me relentlessly every time Brees has a big game. When I lost Gronk to injury, I heard about it. When I outscored everyone in the league except the team I was playing, I heard about it. When I missed the playoffs by 1 game, I heard about it. Relentless.

Well, he benched Brees and Cooks yesterday. Starting squad 58 points, bench 137 points.

Starting last night he began to receive a series of pictures of me wearing my Drew Brees jersey in various poses. He will continue to get them throughout the week.

This morning I started with: "Good Morning Sunshine!" Accompanied by me, my Brees jersey, and my middle finger.
:lmao:   Who did he bench Brees for?

coyote5 said:
:lmao:   Who did he bench Brees for?
Carr.

What's better is that he sat Cooks and TY for Mike Wallace and AP. Crazy. Had been starting Cooks and TY all season. As I said it's a keeper league and he's had AP since the beginning, which clearly clouded his judgement.

Never, ever letting him live this one down.

Actually now that I think about it, it's been almost an hour since he's received a picture!

Funny, I had to start Mariota, and sat Cooks for Watkins yesterday and STILL managed to win.  My opponent had as bad a week as you possibly could have.

It's frustrating but also really fun. I've been awful this year but getting all the luck. One of the lowest scoring teams in regular season. 2nd lowest scoring team each week of playoffs so far, but as long as DJax doesn't post 25 standard points, I'll be in the finals against the one playoff team that might be worse than me. Half his starters were picked up on waivers over the last 2 weeks. I don't have a single guy I drafted still on my team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sabertooth said:
I quit this season.  Didn't play at all, down from 4 leagues last year.  Here's how my season went:

Almost restarted playing in about June.  Dynasty draft and all that.  Decided not to in August.  Since August (and finally quitting for sure)

Lost 20 lbs of fat

Got a new job

Earned my residential builders license.

So no, you won't miss it.  Plus I truly enjoy watching my team (Go Pack Go) play again now.  My friends rarely talk to me about it.  I didn't realize how some players had risen and others tanked.  Didn't care one bit.  
Same here.  I didn't lose weight but I are better and exercised more and generally took care of myself way better than my routine used to be, especially during the season where it was a non stop sit and D eat fest while watching football.

I changed jobs and that has my focus and energy and overall it's just a better life. I started talking about it last year in the I'm quitting three about how the games were better to watch and it's almost indescribable how true that is. To not watch a game and concern myself about which DT just forced a fumble purely because it affected me in ff is priceless.  Now I actually got back to watching plays develop and what other players besides my rb or lb are doing.  

Like you, I hang around here for similar reasons and it is MORE than enough to scratch any fantasy itch I have.  Sometimes this year I checked in on the thoughts of guys like ware and ajayi in those threads and after a couple hundred posts of the back and forth I was like "boy, I sure don't miss all that hyper analysis, nit picking, minutia scavenging, and fretting over questionable tags and TNF. 

Wheel you're in it,my out really don't realize what you don't see anymore.  In my last year playing I was home for Thanksgiving and I remember rattling off players that I knew way too much ff info on and thinking I was knowing something and then realizing I had no actual idea of what half the league's teams w/L record was.   It's pretty amazing.

GregR said:
(Caveat: I've stopped playing FF but then I'm just burned out on keeping up with all football news. And so far it has been the right choice for me.)
But your commissioner and rule threads were some of the best that I remember reading in the Shark Pool! Say it ain't so!

GregR said:
(Caveat: I've stopped playing FF but then I'm just burned out on keeping up with all football news. And so far it has been the right choice for me.)
But your commissioner and rule threads were some of the best that I remember reading in the Shark Pool! Say it ain't so!
Thanks Blake. Still hanging out to talk football though. And fantasy at times, even.  :)

We play in a keeper league, I had Brees for 5 years straight until this season. My best friend/arch fantasy nemesis drafts him. Texts me relentlessly every time Brees has a big game. When I lost Gronk to injury, I heard about it. When I outscored everyone in the league except the team I was playing, I heard about it. When I missed the playoffs by 1 game, I heard about it. Relentless.

Well, he benched Brees and Cooks yesterday. Starting squad 58 points, bench 137 points.

Starting last night he began to receive a series of pictures of me wearing my Drew Brees jersey in various poses. He will continue to get them throughout the week.

This morning I started with: "Good Morning Sunshine!" Accompanied by me, my Brees jersey, and my middle finger.
I've decided on the subject of tomorrow's photo spread, here's a special FBG sneak preview:

http://imgur.com/a/09Ps3

And this is why my league I pay out 600 for most points, 500 for super bowl champ and you get your money back if you lose the super bowl.  Head to head is mostly luck. Total points on the year rewards some ownership skill. 

And this is why my league I pay out 600 for most points, 500 for super bowl champ and you get your money back if you lose the super bowl.  Head to head is mostly luck. Total points on the year rewards some ownership skill. 
We do something similar.  Out of $800, $400 is for regular season and $400 for post season.  Highest points in regular season = $250 with $50 to each division winner.  Post season = $200 to winner, $125 to runner up, $75 to third.  Win the Cyclone Bowl (aka Toilet Bowl) and you get a lovely traveling trophy with your name emblazoned on it.  So if you somehow win the league with highest points and win the Super Bowl, you can rake in $500.  AT $80 entry that's $960 and with the extra $160 we cover online league fees plus a "bank" and every 5th year we donate whatever is in the bank to the charity of choice who wins that year.  

It's stories like this that make me enjoy this crazy hobby. The memories good and bad, the ballbusting. In 2006 I had the greatest team my league has ever seen in the 25 years we've been in existence, it was the year L.T. smashed the TD record and the rest of my team was loaded with studs. First seed and most points ever scored in a season. Championship game against team that backed in and near bottom in points. You can guess what happen: LT has his one game all year without a score. I lost a close game. The year before LT played with a cracked rib and said he was "all good." I left him in and Willy Parker on the bench. Lost by 7. Parker out scored LT by 13. In 1999 (or whatever year Warner had that out-of-nowhere steller season), I went 12-0 and lost last regular season game in my bid to be only undrafted team ever in our history. The guy that beat me faced me in the championship a few weeks later. He had Tony Gonzales and Patrick Jeffers score a combined 5 TDs in two Saturday games and my season was over before my guys even took the field. 

BUT this all lead to last year where I squeeked in with a decent but not dominating team. Round one struggling for a defense I pick up and start Tampa Bay on Thursday. They get -1. My best buddy who I'm playing  against sends me meme after ballbusting meme and posts them on the league message board. Sunday comes and I have ODB self destruct against Carolina and my buddy has Newton go for almost 60. I take my daughter out to dinner for the late afternoon games and have kinda checked out. Next thing you know I'm creeping back in a bit and finally get within striking range but I only have one player left and he has three. But my one player is David Johnson whom I didn't know it yet but was about to obliterate the Eagles on SNF. Unreal! It took my an hour because I'm not too tech savy but I created that meme of Liota and DiNero laughing their heads off from Goodfellas and my caption was AND THEN COACH RANDY SAYS: WE'RE GOING TO THE FANTASY BOWL! It was pure gold. The next week in the championship, I'm losing again with the minutes waning in the late afternoon games. My four year old (at the time) daughter is consoling me saying, "It's ok daddy." And I say, I need a miracle like Allen Robinson scoring a 90 yarder." Right hand raised to God, five minutes later they cut to Robinson taking a swing pass down the sideline for a 90 yard TD. The memory of my daughter and I jumping up and down and cheering I'll never, ever, ever forget!! I later held on and won a grueling Monday night game that went 5 quarters and he had Greene drop a TD through his hands in what would have won it for him. Greatest fanatsy win in my 25 years and made all of the other awful, unlucky defeats worth it.

Its just a game. But it can provide laughter and friendship and truly great memories! 

Sabertooth said:
I quit this season.  Didn't play at all, down from 4 leagues last year.  Here's how my season went:

Almost restarted playing in about June.  Dynasty draft and all that.  Decided not to in August.  Since August (and finally quitting for sure)

Lost 20 lbs of fat

Got a new job

Earned my residential builders license.

So no, you won't miss it.  Plus I truly enjoy watching my team (Go Pack Go) play again now.  My friends rarely talk to me about it.  I didn't realize how some players had risen and others tanked.  Didn't care one bit.  
Maybe you could have lost 22 pounds if you didn't visit this site.

I know, you're a long time veteran of this board. No disrespect intended. Just joking.

I joined too many leagues this year. The waiver wire alone made it a miserable experience. That said, I'll dial it down a bit next year. I think everything can be managed more efficiently. I'm sure people can exercise, focus on jobs/other things, and also play fantasy football.

It's stories like this that make me enjoy this crazy hobby. The memories good and bad, the ballbusting. In 2006 I had the greatest team my league has ever seen in the 25 years we've been in existence, it was the year L.T. smashed the TD record and the rest of my team was loaded with studs. First seed and most points ever scored in a season. Championship game against team that backed in and near bottom in points. You can guess what happen: LT has his one game all year without a score. I lost a close game. The year before LT played with a cracked rib and said he was "all good." I left him in and Willy Parker on the bench. Lost by 7. Parker out scored LT by 13. In 1999 (or whatever year Warner had that out-of-nowhere steller season), I went 12-0 and lost last regular season game in my bid to be only undrafted team ever in our history. The guy that beat me faced me in the championship a few weeks later. He had Tony Gonzales and Patrick Jeffers score a combined 5 TDs in two Saturday games and my season was over before my guys even took the field. 

BUT this all lead to last year where I squeeked in with a decent but not dominating team. Round one struggling for a defense I pick up and start Tampa Bay on Thursday. They get -1. My best buddy who I'm playing  against sends me meme after ballbusting meme and posts them on the league message board. Sunday comes and I have ODB self destruct against Carolina and my buddy has Newton go for almost 60. I take my daughter out to dinner for the late afternoon games and have kinda checked out. Next thing you know I'm creeping back in a bit and finally get within striking range but I only have one player left and he has three. But my one player is David Johnson whom I didn't know it yet but was about to obliterate the Eagles on SNF. Unreal! It took my an hour because I'm not too tech savy but I created that meme of Liota and DiNero laughing their heads off from Goodfellas and my caption was AND THEN COACH RANDY SAYS: WE'RE GOING TO THE FANTASY BOWL! It was pure gold. The next week in the championship, I'm losing again with the minutes waning in the late afternoon games. My four year old (at the time) daughter is consoling me saying, "It's ok daddy." And I say, I need a miracle like Allen Robinson scoring a 90 yarder." Right hand raised to God, five minutes later they cut to Robinson taking a swing pass down the sideline for a 90 yard TD. The memory of my daughter and I jumping up and down and cheering I'll never, ever, ever forget!! I later held on and won a grueling Monday night game that went 5 quarters and he had Greene drop a TD through his hands in what would have won it for him. Greatest fanatsy win in my 25 years and made all of the other awful, unlucky defeats worth it.

Its just a game. But it can provide laughter and friendship and truly great memories! 
That's the most I've read since college sadly. And enjoyed it!  Joke.  When Eddie George was the man, owner went into MNF up 1 with Eddie left and opponent done.  George gets blown up on first play of game, fumble (-2), injury and doesn't return.  Dude lost by 1. 

Oh by the way the Robinson 90 yarder beat me in the final last year.  That and not starting Hightower. 

Still love the game, but I'm enjoying it a lot more by NOT looking at my opponent's lineup until late Sunday. I can follow my team and enjoy the games without fretting over every possession and every opponent. I can just enjoy great plays, and not even know they're crushing my fantasy team. 

In other words, be less cognizant of fantasy football while the games are on and you might enjoy football more. 

Maybe you could have lost 22 pounds if you didn't visit this site.

I know, you're a long time veteran of this board. No disrespect intended. Just joking.

I joined too many leagues this year. The waiver wire alone made it a miserable experience. That said, I'll dial it down a bit next year. I think everything can be managed more efficiently. I'm sure people can exercise, focus on jobs/other things, and also play fantasy football.
The time suck is immense.

My own personal ##### thread-- feel free to call me a ###### or add in your own misery--

Ive been playing Fantasy football for probably 10 years and this was EASILY the best team Ive ever assembled. I drafted my ### off and uses the wire/trades to build what seemed like a dream team. Well my dream team-- in a .5 ppr league w/ two flexes-- scored a whopping 103 yesterday. I didnt have a single player score a touchdown... Not one. I won the league the last two years but those teams didnt hold a candle to this one. Yesterday was maybe the most painful day of FF I can recall-- and I admit-- I take this 'fun' hobby way to seriously...

My team:

Brady Leveon ware Evans Dez Ertz TY Hopkins Housotn D Bryant

Lost to a JV squad that started 5 guys I dropped this year (T West, S Smith Sr, Gotskowski, Marquis Lee, Garcon).....

If I never played again-- I really don't think I would mind..... 
Maybe your opponents the last two years felt the same way you do now?

Sorry. 6&7 won and face each other for the Championship. I didn't know you could change the way they seed teams on NFL.com
Tommy

We have the following setup in our league:

10 team, #1 & #2 get a bye.

#3 v #6 and #4 v #5 play in week 14

In week 15, the #1 seed plays the lowest remaining owner. #2 plays the next lowest owner. 

Winners in week 15 go to the SB

It's an easy formula, top owner always plays the lowest ranked remaining owner. 

You need to get your league changed next year. It's BS the way it's setup now with predetermined schedules no matter who wins. 

Tommy

We have the following setup in our league:

10 team, #1 & #2 get a bye.

#3 v #6 and #4 v #5 play in week 14

In week 15, the #1 seed plays the lowest remaining owner. #2 plays the next lowest owner. 

Winners in week 15 go to the SB

It's an easy formula, top owner always plays the lowest ranked remaining owner. 

You need to get your league changed next year. It's BS the way it's setup now with predetermined schedules no matter who wins. 
I agree, but I didn't realize that was a setting that could change. I thought it was just how NFL.com did it. I still won, but now playing that #7 seed in the championship. I might have lost had I faced the #5 team I just beat last week in the championship this week. Cam vs ATL, Luck vs OAK, Latavius vs IND, D.Martin vs. NO, Baldwin vs. ARI. We shall see. But it's good to know that setting can be changed. Will have to bring it up with the commissioner. 

Gambling isn't for everyone.
FF is gambling with some skill involved. 

I am down to one league and it is an all points league.  It seems the most fair way to run FF.  To keep teams interested, my league awards $20 to the highest score each week also.  The head-to-head leagues are more fun during the season due to the one-one-one competition but there is simply too much luck involved at the end.   

Drafting and managing a FF team is the best part for me.  I drafted a great team this season but lost Green and Gronk.  Most of us lose players each season but after losing my first round pick last year (Charles) and my first 2 picks this year, I am pretty much over FF this season.  I know that my luck will change in an upcoming season.  But, I am still in 4th place with a shot at getting to the 3 spot so I will keep plugging away. 

Still love the game, but I'm enjoying it a lot more by NOT looking at my opponent's lineup until late Sunday. I can follow my team and enjoy the games without fretting over every possession and every opponent. I can just enjoy great plays, and not even know they're crushing my fantasy team. 

In other words, be less cognizant of fantasy football while the games are on and you might enjoy football more. 
That's exactly what I did this year. I thought I was done with FF and then the commissioner of a league I was in last year roped me in for another year. I decided that I'd set my lineup and not look at my opponent's lineup until late Sunday. I could cheer for my players but not worry about who I was playing against. 

This is my last year of FF and I told the commissioner I mean it this time. I'm just not that into any more and it's not as much fun as it used to be.

ZenMaster said:
That's exactly what I did this year. I thought I was done with FF and then the commissioner of a league I was in last year roped me in for another year. I decided that I'd set my lineup and not look at my opponent's lineup until late Sunday. I could cheer for my players but not worry about who I was playing against. 
Welcome to all-play.

This is a big reason that I'm in favor of 6 team playoffs with a bye for the top 2 seeds.
Exactly how I run my 12 team league.

Guy who destroyed the league and went 12-1, had a first rd bye, lost in the semis. Been there myself...... It happens

The proudest record I hold in my league is not the number of titles although I have 3, it's not the 5 other times I came in 2nd, it is however the record for most points scored all time by any owner, basically over the 18+ years we been playing. I also have the record for most points scored in any one season.

It shows over time that I have consistently drafted well and almost always make the playoffs. I cannot control Weeks 14-16 although I do try and start making plans earlier than most. The truth is you have to get there first. 

I have been throwing crap out at WR for the last...almost all season. Golden Tate and Pierre Garçon have been my best combo of late so go figure. I managed to haul in a lot in the RBs on draft day. 

One other thing I do is work the waiver wire harder than most owners. They even passed a rule along the way charging 2 bucks per waiver wire move to deter me from making so many moves. I racked up 84 dollars so far on the season in waiver moves. I shuffle 2 new WRs a week on my bench until I get something I like...Sammie Coates, Sterling Shepard, Travis Benjamin, Enuka, you name it Ive had him for at least a week. Rolling with Mitchell and JJ Nelson and Taylor Gabriel on my bench and I don't particularly like any of them this week. 

Users who are viewing this thread