What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Gardening Thread - 2024 Finally time to start seeds indoors in the northeast! (1 Viewer)

Anyone in here can their garden production?
Hopefully canning tomatoes/salsa later this summer for the first time

ETA: we used to can hot peppers that we bought by the bushel but it’s been years
I make fermented dill pickles but keep them in the fridge. Haven’t done any hot canning. Salsa holds up well in the freezer - freeze into a puck and then vacuum bag it.

I’d post pics of my garden but fbg’s make that impossible (for some reason) and I’m to lazy to do imgur. It’s exploding though. Have 6 tomato plants of different varietals (including a cherry), 12 cukes (full size and pickling) a dozen garlic and onions, 2 basil, 3 dill, 6 lettuce, 3 peas, a jalapeño and a sweet pepper.

Its my first year companion planting, which seems to be working great so far, and we’re hoping to have enough yield to can and/or pickle. My wife comes from a family who cans/pickles a lot so she’s excited to try it for the first time herself.

I’d post pics of my garden but fbg’s make that impossible (for some reason) and I’m to lazy to do imgur. It’s exploding though. Have 6 tomato plants of different varietals (including a cherry), 12 cukes (full size and pickling) a dozen garlic and onions, 2 basil, 3 dill, 6 lettuce, 3 peas, a jalapeño and a sweet pepper.

Its my first year companion planting, which seems to be working great so far, and we’re hoping to have enough yield to can and/or pickle. My wife comes from a family who cans/pickles a lot so she’s excited to try it for the first time herself.
I’m happy things are going better for you this year !

Need to learn more about companion planting.

I’m happy things are going better for you this year !
Thanks brother. But, as you well know, right now I’m only growing nice plants. The fruit/vegetables are what matter, I’m a ways from knowing this part.

Need to learn more about companion planting.
Lots of good info out there about it. YouTube has been a great resource for us.

We got one of these monsters last year. The thing looked like General Raam from Gears of War. IIRC, they’re good for the plants when they get to the stage when they have the white things..

This is also my wife’s gardening channel or whatever.

We got one of these monsters last year. The thing looked like General Raam from Gears of War. IIRC, they’re good for the plants when they get to the stage when they have the white things..

This is also my wife’s gardening channel or whatever.

I try to pick the tomato worms when I see them. When I miss them I love seeing the wasp larvae on them. I let that predator feast on that ghastly creature and hopefully curtail any further encounters.

Sorry for the lousy pictures. The neighbors were out this morning and I had to take these facing into the sun.

That’s blueberries and blackberries, zucchini, green beans, potatoes, tomatoes, everywhere, some flowers, and the little babies on the tarp are pumpkins and something else I don’t remember.

Haven’t thought to post until I saw the update.

The new garden this year is exploding! Cucumbers have come first and early and often. I’ve literally been drowning in them for two weeks. Picking between 15 and 25 new cucumbers every single day. I’ve been trying to give them away to anybody with a willingness to take them. Took a bowl of 20 into work yesterday, when I got home I picked 24, so I gave away 20 and somehow ended up the day with more than I started. SMH.

Nothing else has ripened yet, but tomatoes are going to be in abundance soon. Great year this yr, can’t often say that so I’ll take it.

Not sure if mentioned in here before, but one thing my wife started doing is collecting all her wine bottles, removing the labels, filling them with water and planting them neck down into the soil of her raised gardens. It's a slow release watering trick that helps keep her gardens green. Summers in Oregon can get a little hot and dry, so every little trick helps with keeping things moist and green and water bills down.

Not sure if mentioned in here before, but one thing my wife started doing is collecting all her wine bottles, removing the labels, filling them with water and planting them neck down into the soil of her raised gardens. It's a slow release watering trick that helps keep her gardens green. Summers in Oregon can get a little hot and dry, so every little trick helps with keeping things moist and green and water bills down.
I've seen the deluxe terra cotta accessories that are supposed to do the same thing, but made for gardens. For my 144' of garden space it would have run like $800. No thanks. How long does it take to release the water out of one bottle? How often does she refill them? Is it a total replacement of watering with a hose?

So far my garden is exploding. We’ve had so much rain the last 3 weeks or so I haven’t been able to miracle gro

Enough lettuce for an army. Zucchini, zephyr squash and cucumbers are coming in droves.

Tomato plants are doing great but they won’t be ripe for awhile yet.
Pepper plants are a little slow for some reason.

Got beat up by strong tstorms overnight last night but I don’t think anything will die from it

I've seen the deluxe terra cotta accessories that are supposed to do the same thing, but made for gardens. For my 144' of garden space it would have run like $800. No thanks. How long does it take to release the water out of one bottle? How often does she refill them? Is it a total replacement of watering with a hose?

No, definitely not a replacement of watering with a hose, but a supplement. She fills them up maybe 1-2 X per week depending on the heat. They look kinda cool too.....very Portlandia.

No, definitely not a replacement of watering with a hose, but a supplement. She fills them up maybe 1-2 X per week depending on the heat. They look kinda cool

I'll try that out, assuming I can find room.

I lost a big branch off one of my Hungarian pepper plants because I was derelict in tying it up.
If there is a bright side the 10 peppers I got off it had a good wang for being immature.

Anyone have a good method for supporting peppers? I stake and then tie them up with string but it definitely requires some time.
Anyone use tomato cages?

I lost a big branch off one of my Hungarian pepper plants because I was derelict in tying it up.
If there is a bright side the 10 peppers I got off it had a good wang for being immature.

Anyone have a good method for supporting peppers? I stake and then tie them up with string but it definitely requires some time.
Anyone use tomato cages?
Had this issue last year with a poblano. This year I put mid size tomato cages around jalapeño, cayenne and habanero plants and they aren’t tall enough to reach the cage rings

Can’t remember if I posted here about it or not, but my wife and I canned 12 pints of dill pickles a few weeks ago.
12 pints of bread n butter pickles today.

My cucumber plants are doing their annual “just turn brown and die all at once” but man were they great this year

Some of my pepper plants are bouncing back , some just aren’t. Weird

My cucumber plants are doing their annual “just turn brown and die all at once” but man were they great this year
Mine did the same thing. I was drowning in them for a month then poof, dead. We planted new seeds 2 weeks ago hoping for a round 2.

My tomatoes are starting to ripen. Cherry Toms going nuts as usual and in the pick 30 a day stage. Celebrities and heirlooms are big a green, should start turning soon.

Peppers are smaller then normal but the tomatoes are going so nut the are blocking the peppers sun to much.

I think I'm moving on from my typical fruits and veggies until I need some more exotic peppers to make hot sauce. But I've built up several years of hot sauce inventory so it may be a while. I can buy all the veggies I normally grow at a farm stand right down the road super cheap without the inevitable white fly invasion. But I'm not quitting gardening. I'm just going to continue my pivot to trees and start adding to my avocado and mango collection by growing root stock and grafting more producing trees.

Started the garden for the year. Just got done with installing the drip system in my raised beds and dropped seeds. Would post pics but it’s a p.i.t.a to here).

Companion planting again this year as it worked awesome last year. Doing 4 tomatoes (different varietals), 6 cukes, lots of garlic, onion, sweet and hot peppers, lettuce, watermelon, strawberries, thyme, rosemary, basil and dill. Should be a good year.

Started the garden for the year. Just got done with installing the drip system in my raised beds and dropped seeds. Would post pics but it’s a p.i.t.a to here).

Companion planting again this year as it worked awesome last year. Doing 4 tomatoes (different varietals), 6 cukes, lots of garlic, onion, sweet and hot peppers, lettuce, watermelon, strawberries, thyme, rosemary, basil and dill. Should be a good year.
Awesome! I’m jelly :lol:

Awesome! I’m jelly :lol:
Living in SoCal does have some advantages. But we certainly pay for them. lol.

I started jalapeño, Hungarian wax and habaneros along with some cherry tomorrow seeds yesterday.
This is my first foray into stating from seed so imagine it will be a learning experience but hoping for the best.

Would like some information on your drip system. I'm still about 6 weeks from planting, but need to get started turning the soil, figuring out irrigation, and probably getting a few new beds.

Happy to help. I’m no expert but I’ve learned a lot doing it the last year or two. what do you wanna know?

Springs coming boys and girls !
Spring?! It's been like summer here for a few weeks...high of 82° today! 😎

We've got several things going in the backyard...garlic, cilantro, oregano, dill, green onions...just picked a few jalapeños...also got a couple pineapples that'll prob be ready later this year and the wife picked up a blueberry plant a couple weeks ago.

I'm wondering if my mango tree is ever gonna flower....5 years old from seed and hasn't produced yet, but neighbors on both sides of me have tons of flowers on their trees...the wife won't let me yank it and replace it with a grafted tree...grrrr...

Planted out spring onion seeds and sugar snap peas seeds (first time for me) yesterday. I transferred my tomato and pepper seedlings into solo cups last weekend. We are probably a month away from planting outside here 😃
Do you have a greenhouse?
No, just a 2x4 led light hanging on a rack I built that is adjustable height in a spare room in our house

The middle row is some flowers I started for the boss

Planted out spring onion seeds and sugar snap peas seeds (first time for me) yesterday. I transferred my tomato and pepper seedlings into solo cups last weekend. We are probably a month away from planting outside here 😃
Do you have a greenhouse?
No, just a 2x4 led light hanging on a rack I built that is adjustable height in a spare room in our house

That works.

When I was a kid, my father built 4x8 boxes a couple of 2x12s high. He put a plexiglass door on top. We used them to get a head start on growing season until he built an actual greenhouse.

Got 6 avocados on my little container Lila tree. Looks like these might actually make it to harvest! They'd be my first home grown cados - my Wurtz tree had about a dozen between this season and last but they all fell off when they were really small. Hoping next season the fruit will make it to harvest. But for now...

Lilas:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread