What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Gardening Thread - 2024 Finally time to start seeds indoors in the northeast! (1 Viewer)

Got 50 CY of fill dirt to level out some areas of the backyard. Getting another 10 Cy of top soil today but the ground is wet so I’m gonna have to move most of it by wheel barrel or my PU.

If I can get it all in place today, rent a tiller for tomorrow and build two more raises beds Sunday and I’m done getting it ready for the wife.

Got 50 CY of fill dirt to level out some areas of the backyard. Getting another 10 Cy of top soil today but the ground is wet so I’m gonna have to move most of it by wheel barrel or my PU.

If I can get it all in place today, rent a tiller for tomorrow and build two more raises beds Sunday and I’m done getting it ready for the wife.
That's a lot of effing dirt.

Nice. I built 2 Olle raised beds a couple weeks ago and filled them too. Started seeds indoors 2 weeks ago too. They’re all growing great and am looking to transplant in the next 2 weeks. Looking forward to a good season this year after last years disaster.

Do any of you do companion planting for vegetable gardening?

We moved last summer and I got 3 2'8'x12" cedar beds for planting. I've been reading up on companion planting and thinking of giving it a go this year. I really only want tomatoes, peppers, cukes, and squash. But with companion planting I'm going to get tons of herbs, greens, and flowers. Will be interesting to see how it works.

Here's a link in case anyone else wants to try it. https://www.almanac.com/companion-planting-guide-vegetables

I need to get some compost and turn my soil in the beds this weekend then start planting over the next few weeks. Excited!

We moved last summer and I got 3 2'8'x12" cedar beds for planting. I've been reading up on companion planting and thinking of giving it a go this year. I really only want tomatoes, peppers, cukes, and squash. But with companion planting I'm going to get tons of herbs, greens, and flowers. Will be interesting to see how it works.

Here's a link in case anyone else wants to try it. https://www.almanac.com/companion-planting-guide-vegetables

I need to get some compost and turn my soil in the beds this weekend then start planting over the next few weeks. Excited!

My wife does. Additionally, she’s started planting all kinds of stuff to deter mosquitoes and other bugs. Basil and lilac I think are two that she has planted here and there.

Your timing on this question is impeccable. Last year in our garden we had an aphid infestation for the first time, so I started really reading up on companion planting last year. this year we’re fully committed to it, and all the seedlings we started we started with companion plants as well, we also mapped out our garden so when we transplant, the seedlings and companion plants, it all makes sense. So while I don’t have any information for you now, by the end of this year, I should know much more.

I was planning to get my squash seedlings out in the ground this weekend since they don’t need it to be as warm but it’s rained enough that my garden is way too wet for the last week or so

50s and wet this coming week also

☹️

One of the fantastic things about living in Miami is that everything grows. You can't kill things here. Put them in the ground and BOOM, they grow.

Friends of ours down the street are selling their house that had been previously owned by a horticulturist so it has a lot of cool plants. Over the past couple of weeks, my wife and I have been going over there collecting a variety of plants, ferns, bushes, etc. and re-planting them in our yard.

We have re-planted banana plants, ginger, a bunch of ferns, jasmine, lantana, bougainvillea, orchids and a bunch of other things I can't remember.

I can't imagine what we would have paid for everything if we went to a nursery to buy them.

Planted out my acorn , genovese and zephyr squash seedlings today. Also romaine, spinach , scallion and mesclun mix seeds.

Started hardening off my pepper plants today too. I’m behind on my pepper and tomato seedlings this year. I bought a bag of organic potting soil this year that I’ve never used before and I had some problems with them just sitting there and turning yellow. Switched them out to solo cups of miracle gro soil a week or so ago and they are starting to do better.

Springtime baby !

😃

Planted out my acorn , genovese and zephyr squash seedlings today. Also romaine, spinach , scallion and mesclun mix seeds.

Started hardening off my pepper plants today too. I’m behind on my pepper and tomato seedlings this year. I bought a bag of organic potting soil this year that I’ve never used before and I had some problems with them just sitting there and turning yellow. Switched them out to solo cups of miracle gro soil a week or so ago and they are starting to do better.

Springtime baby !

😃

Niiiice! We tilled this past weekend and I finished leveling out the two last raised beds. We will be planting all weekend. Once its all cleaned up and organized Ill post some pics.

My raised beds are packed with little plants!!! Tomatoes and peppers are getting bigger as well. Exciting times.

I should be getting spinach and lettuce fairly soon and then beans not long after.

My raised beds are packed with little plants!!! Tomatoes and peppers are getting bigger as well. Exciting times.

I should be getting spinach and lettuce fairly soon and then beans not long after.
Nice! Mine too. Tomatoes, cukes, garlic, jalapeños and lettuce are all looking good. We’ve had to restart our sweet peppers and peas as they just weren’t popping up. Onions seemed to have stalled for some reason.

Planted last weekend.
- 2 new (to me) tomato varieties: Mr. Stripey and Chocolate Sprinkles
- 1 Bush cucumber for pickling
- 1 Zucchini - enough to supply the tri-state area
- 3 hot peppers: Jalapeno, Habanero, Cayenne (going to try fermented hot sauce)
- 2 bell peppers: red & green b/c my wife likes to snack on them (or let them go wrinkly in the fridge; it's a coinflip tbj)

Have basil started in the house but not quite big enough to transplant yet.

We eat a metric ton of heirloom tomatoes. I should probably try this garden thing at some point. Definitely too late for this year, but :sehorn:ing this

I made my garden a little bigger this year, then my wife and I discovered the Amish greenhouses in our area and their obscenely low prices and great selection of plants. Both of these are why I have way too many plants in the ground.
Also, I bought stupid organic potting mix for the seeds I started indoors instead of Miracle gro mix. Lost almost all of my seedlings except for 7-8 tomato plants, and those looked so bad I didn’t think they’d make it. Well, they somehow survived after I already bought 6-7 plants from the Amish and planted them. Not wanting to throw away my miracle survivors I planted them too. Now I have 15 tomato plants in my garden. And 1 cherry tomato. The most tomato plants I’ve had grown in a season is 4

:oldunsure:

I made my garden a little bigger this year, then my wife and I discovered the Amish greenhouses in our area and their obscenely low prices and great selection of plants. Both of these are why I have way too many plants in the ground.
Also, I bought stupid organic potting mix for the seeds I started indoors instead of Miracle gro mix. Lost almost all of my seedlings except for 7-8 tomato plants, and those looked so bad I didn’t think they’d make it. Well, they somehow survived after I already bought 6-7 plants from the Amish and planted them. Not wanting to throw away my miracle survivors I planted them too. Now I have 15 tomato plants in my garden. And 1 cherry tomato. The most tomato plants I’ve had grown in a season is 4

hope you know how to can tomatoes and salsa - did you also grow jalapenos?

hope you know how to can tomatoes and salsa - did you also grow jalapenos?

I’ve never canned tomatoes but my sister in law knows how and says we will be doing that this year.

I have one jalapeño plant

I owe yall some pictures. let me walk out back....

ETA: Excuse the mess. This is our 4th year and I added 50 cubic yards of soil + another 10 of leaf grow for the back to level that section of the yard. (You can get an idea of how much by looking at the larger raised bed in the back to see how much I’ve added and how uneven the area was and still is to me)

I still need more dirt, level the beds a little more once filled in. Then we’ll add gravel. We will keep adding a coupe raised beds each year until we have enough.

Last edited:

Too many tomatoes

ETA: Excuse the mess. This is our 4th year and I added 50 cubic yards of soil + another 10 of leaf grow for the back to level that section of the yard. (You can get an idea of how much by looking at the larger raised bed in the back to see how much I’ve added and how uneven the area was and still is to me)

I still need more dirt, level the beds a little more once filled in. Then we’ll add gravel. We will keep adding a coupe raised beds each year until we have enough.

serious gardening going on at the mobbin household!

My garden is a mess, in a beautiful, good way. I planted so much stuff in my little raised beds.

So far, I've had one cherry/grape tomato (so good!), one small batch of green beans, some spinach and lettuce, and lots of herbs. I also have some sunflowers that are like 6' tall. I'm using them to trellis cucumbers and it seems to be working so far. In the next few weeks, I'll have zucchini and snap peas. Tomatoes and cucumbers will follow soon after. My peppers are taking their damn time but look healthy.

I'm already thinking about a fall and/or winter garden. I'll replant herbs and add in some squash/gourds. Maybe some asparagus.

Btw, one thing I already learned this year. Garden spinach is a lot better than store bought. It is much sweeter. I'm definitely planting that again, probably in the Fall.

Too many tomatoes

Always happens with the seeds! ;)

We also experienced a huge chunk of her seedlings die on us before we even planted. Some of it was because we didn’t acclimate/left them outside too long day one but many died before that.

We have picked a couple hundred cherry tomatoes at this point from our 12 plants, although a few of the plants are not doing well anymore. I am debating just letting them die off rather than try to keep them alive during the houston summer. It is going to be hot enough that multiple waterings per day may be required to keep the leaves from wilting.

Maybe some asparagus.
I love fresh picked asparagus, raw. I'm sure you will do your due diligence when planting, asparagus is a loner and likes deep roots. Don't harvest any the first spring.
Also, asparagus likes sandy soil so beware if you're in clay.
I imagine you know this but remember it’s a perennial so you need a dedicated spot in the garden for it.

I planted some this year and want to fast forward a couple years so I can eat it.

Nice work!

1 cucumber
2 butternut squash(wife has an awesome recipe that includes fresh garlic, maple syrup and EVO, goes great with venison)
1 eggplant
4 cauliflower
3 basil
3 onion
4 Serrano
4 jalapeño
1 chili
A bunch of bell varieties
2 Cherokee purple tomatoes
1 Cherokee carbon
1 pineapple heirloom
1 San marzano
1 better boy
4 sun sugar yellow cherries
4 red cherries
3 tomatillos

Can’t wait for the yield. Anyone in here can their garden production?

Maybe some asparagus.
I love fresh picked asparagus, raw. I'm sure you will do your due diligence when planting, asparagus is a loner and likes deep roots. Don't harvest any the first spring.
Also, asparagus likes sandy soil so beware if you're in clay.
I imagine you know this but remember it’s a perennial so you need a dedicated spot in the garden for it.

I planted some this year and want to fast forward a couple years so I can eat it.
I do know that, but thanks for pointing out what I forgot to suggest. I never even harvested the first year when I raised it. Always waited for Year Two.

This is my third year with Asparagus. I've got a whole whopping 3 stalks that have made it. I was marveling at them, didn't clip them in time. Now they are about six feet high, no joke. Letting the roots get stronger this year. Maybe I'll get a whole six stalks next year.:laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread