What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Gardening Thread - 2024 Finally time to start seeds indoors in the northeast! (2 Viewers)

I took a soil sample to a local farm store that sends them to PSU for analysis last fall. 
My garden has not been great the last couple years. 
When the results came in they went over them with me and told me to put 50lbs  of humifor and 50lbs of something else , half in spring and half in fall. Then urea in the spring. 
My garden is a lil over 200 sq ft, the #s looked to me like they were for a much bigger plot of ground. 
I went back a week later to double check with the owner , he stuck with that plan. 

So I tilled 25lbs of each in last fall and went to the store this week to buy urea. I showed the guy at the counter my results because I didn’t know how urea much I needed. 

He said “ oh , this is my handwriting I wrote this up last year”. I explained to him how I thought that seemed too much and he basically says that the guy I talked to in the fall was WAY off and I shouldn’t have put anywhere near that much on. 

I asked him if my garden was ruined for this year and after a long pause he said “I THINK you’ll be ok, till the hell out of it”.

So yeah, this might be an interesting spring for me 

🤦‍♂️

I took a soil sample to a local farm store that sends them to PSU for analysis last fall. 
My garden has not been great the last couple years. 
When the results came in they went over them with me and told me to put 50lbs  of humifor and 50lbs of something else , half in spring and half in fall. Then urea in the spring. 
My garden is a lil over 200 sq ft, the #s looked to me like they were for a much bigger plot of ground. 
I went back a week later to double check with the owner , he stuck with that plan. 

So I tilled 25lbs of each in last fall and went to the store this week to buy urea. I showed the guy at the counter my results because I didn’t know how urea much I needed. 

He said “ oh , this is my handwriting I wrote this up last year”. I explained to him how I thought that seemed too much and he basically says that the guy I talked to in the fall was WAY off and I shouldn’t have put anywhere near that much on. 

I asked him if my garden was ruined for this year and after a long pause he said “I THINK you’ll be ok, till the hell out of it”.

So yeah, this might be an interesting spring for me 

🤦‍♂️
Ouch.  Best of luck gb.  

Tilled for the first time this spring yesterday. Transferring my (leggy) tomatoes to solo cups, maybe my peppers too 

My cherry tomato has dozens of green tomatoes and my regular tomato has about a half dozen medium size greens.  Cukes are popping out too.  Should have some nice salads soon.  

We were out of town for two weeks and when we got back everything in Austin has gone crazy. Roses are full bloom. Bought a second Plumeria today.

Last edited by a moderator:
We’re about to get started. I need to build two cucumber trellis’.

Instead of building another raised bed we’re going to fence off an area and just till the whole thing.

Nice thread.

The wife has been doing all the gardening, and she's been doing better than I would.

Our serrano pepper plant is a monster. So many peppers non stop. I've got pickled peppers, fermented peppers, frozen peppers, pepper dust...just started making my own hot sauces, and I'm really enjoying playing around with different recipes. I've also got a cayenne pepper plant that is starting to produce like crazy.

She's got Brussel sprouts going, green peppers, a few different tomatoes, squash, leaf lettuce, I think she's also got carrots started. 

In the herb planter weve got chives, green onions, cilantro, Thai basil, oregano, dill.

We love fresh herbs and veggies from the garden.

edit: forgot the fruits. We also have a meyer lemon bush (container), and a mango tree that hasn't fruited yet (Hoping it will soon, although the freeze here last month really set her back a bit). Also a small blueberry bush that has a few berries on it. Had a key lime bush that didn't last, I'm thinking about getting a dwarf tree to replace it.

Welcome!

We can always use more people in the thread with good taste in football teams
Cowboys stink. :rant:  

I mostly do the building and grunt work. She does the seeding and planting. I’m too rough on things to do any of that. Its a great activity to do together. Lots of outside time, lots of exercise and great, heathy food. 

It’s almost like it’s how we’re all supposed to be living. 

Cowboys stink. :rant:  

I mostly do the building and grunt work. She does the seeding and planting. I’m too rough on things to do any of that. Its a great activity to do together. Lots of outside time, lots of exercise and great, heathy food. 

It’s almost like it’s how we’re all supposed to be living. 

Growing your own food certainly feels right and is super rewarding. 

Picked and ate our first cuke of the season tonight.  Was perfection.

No matter how many years I do this the every first fresh garden food of the season shocks me with how much better it is then store bought.   

Mrs O got a cool trellis for some coral color climbing vine. New composter is awesome. It’s easy to spin and gets nice and toasty. Love the two chambers as well. I keep spinning it like it’s the big wheel on Price is Right  :lol:  Pic

Binky, quit looking over Krista's fence.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Trending in United States

#WorldNakedGardeningDay

World Naked Gardening Day is marked on the first Saturday of May where people tend to their gardens unclothed in the spirit of 'back-to-basics living'

Any issues with white flies or leaf miners? Those have been the 2 worst garden pests we've been dealing with, no matter what we do we seem to get them. 
Not this year. So far. Had the white flies bad last year.  Tried all kinds of things to get rid of them and finally just gave up towards the end of the season.  

Not veggies but ornamental plants...Replaced our palm that died from the Feb storm last year. Also replaced three tropical hibiscus with hardy ones. Have three plumeria and one is blooming finally (each bloom column starts a new branch). Also planted three ixora Maui plants in the back yard. 

Any issues with white flies or leaf miners? Those have been the 2 worst garden pests we've been dealing with, no matter what we do we seem to get them. 

Not this year. So far. Had the white flies bad last year.  Tried all kinds of things to get rid of them and finally just gave up towards the end of the season.  
I have used insecticidal soap successfully on hibiscus and plumeria.

https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/houseplant-pests/whitefly-control/

I have 4 types of tomatoes started inside from seed. Red bell, orange bell, Marconi Italian and Hungarian hot wax peppers. All are doing great. 
Everything one could ever read says that vegetable gardens in my area should not be planted until Memorial Day weekend. It’s been really nice all week here in  the mid 70s and 80s with warm temperatures forecast for next week too. If it stays dry I think I’m planting this weekend.

:pickle:

As I’ve moved into a new house and haven’t built my new long-term garden I was forced to do a few containers with just a couple cukes, an early girl tomato and a cherry tomato.  As I posted I got my first cucumber a few days ago. Was delicious but the next three or four have been pretty bitter.  My cherry tomato has a ton on it but the plant itself isn’t looking very good. Early girl also has a ton but is looking healthy.  This year is going to be a struggle as I’ve never grown in pots before. Not a great start honestly.  

Any feedback would be welcomed.  

As I’ve moved into a new house and haven’t built my new long-term garden I was forced to do a few containers with just a couple cukes, an early girl tomato and a cherry tomato.  As I posted I got my first cucumber a few days ago. Was delicious but the next three or four have been pretty bitter.  My cherry tomato has a ton on it but the plant itself isn’t looking very good. Early girl also has a ton but is looking healthy.  This year is going to be a struggle as I’ve never grown in pots before. Not a great start honestly.  

Do you trim off the non fruit bearing tomato branches as they start to yellow?

I suck st growing tomatoes recently for some reason, but did you try fried green tomatoes yet? 😃

Tired of watering every day, and although rainy season here in FL is right around the corner, decided to try an automated watering system for our raised beds.

Decided to go cheap since it's my first attempt at this.

Bought THIS kit along with a faucet splitter, water hammer arrestor, and weatherproof timer.

Gonna hook it up this weekend, should be a fun project.

Tired of watering every day, and although rainy season here in FL is right around the corner, decided to try an automated watering system for our raised beds.

Bought THIS kit along with a faucet splitter, water hammer arrestor, and weatherproof timer.

Systems like this are essential in hot water, especially for tomatoes. I've played around with mine for years.  I think I finally got it right.

We use a fair amount of drip in our front flower beds. So far it’s been great. 

I'm thinking of just getting a soaker hose that I can zig-zag through my raised bed. It's only 3x24.  I figure I can put a quick-connect on one end and just have to run the hose to that, hook up and let it run for a while.

Hemmed and hawed about planting yesterday because they were calling for heavy Tstorms.

Got all my mowing done, had some drinks in the afternoon and went to town.

Planted my tomatoes and peppers that I started from seed indoors red and orange bell, Marconi , hot Hungarian and poblano.

Cucumber (burpless), zucchini (a mix of varieties), yellow grilling squash, eggplant, spring onions, spring mix baby lettuce. I still have a little room, for what I’m not sure yet. 
We got a minor t storm last night with not too much rain. It rained pretty hard on and off most of today but is clearing now.

We’ll see 😃

Rented a tiller Saturday and went to town. It was hot and humid early but cooled down later. 

Cleared a 20x20 section and another 16x4 section. Still need to build another raised bed and trellis for cucumbers. 

So much to do but today I’m resting. Tomorrow I’ll level things out and add the soil conditioner/Pete moss/manure. 

please keep this updated. I've been thinking about something similar for a while

please keep this updated. I've been thinking about something similar for a while

It was super simple to set up, no problems so far. If I were to do it again, I'd just buy the pieces I need instead of a kit. There are so many connectors, nozzles, and over 100 feet of small tubing left over, which I'll use for parts as pieces fail or get worn out.

But totally happy with it so far. 

Question for you folks....

I am building a small tool shed/shelter for our garden. We are going to build a greenhouse one day so this structure is just for storing the stools and maybe ducking out of the rain if there is a sudden downpour. 

Do you guys have any suggestions on any creature comforts you currently have or wish you had at your garden? LOL, our garden is pretty far away from the house so we have "joked" about getting a small refrigerator for beers. 

I am building a small tool shed/shelter for our garden. We are going to build a greenhouse one day so this structure is just for storing the stools and maybe ducking out of the rain if there is a sudden downpour. 

Do you guys have any suggestions on any creature comforts you currently have or wish you had at your garden? LOL, our garden is pretty far away from the house so we have "joked" about getting a small refrigerator for beers. 
I don’t have any but as I’m preparing to do virtually the same thing thank you for asking the question, I’m interested to hear some thoughts.  

Potting shelf, drying racks for onions, and possibly a sink.

Potting shelf, drying racks for onions, and possibly a sink.

Yes! I used a bunch of older garden houses and ran them from the house and buried them along the bottom fence line so we have water so a sink is a great idea. Nice to wash your hands off w/o having to fiddle with a hose. 

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread