What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fences Lets talk about them and neighbors (1 Viewer)

STEADYMOBBIN 22

Footballguy
My backyard is fenced in but it's just 4"x4" wood posts with wire mesh fencing. Thats what the previous homeowner had and to be  honest, I like the mostly invisible look of it. For privacy reasons I would like to remove the existing fence on the left side of my house and run new privacy fencing roughly 20' until it will end at a massive oak tree and the older existing fence will continue on the other side of the tree. 

I don't have an HOA

I dont plan on getting a permit. For now

Questions.....

What are the rules about the care and maintenance of the fence on the other side? 

The fence is all mine right? Like, the neighbor cant attach planters or other crap on my fence, right? 

What about sticks and things? This is an area of our yard thats been pretty overgrown for awhile and I didn't noticed before but since Ive cut back all the bushes and trees on this side Ive noticed they have quite a bit of downed logs and piles of sticks/twigs/yard debris laying up against my fence. I assume theyre not supposed to do this but would like to know the rules before I tell them to move it all. Whats the rule on how close? Its their yard so I assume as long as its not touching my fence its all good? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you live someplace where a building permit would be required? If so, I highly recomend getting a building permit. It will save you a great deal of aggrevation in the long run. I say this because, without knowing your neighborhood situation, some of the people that live near you might be the busy body type. Not only could your neighbors be jerks, the city/town/area you live in probably has people going around on a regular basis looking for new construction. The last thing you want is to have to deal with is someone who only cares about doing it by the book, after you broke the rules.

Also, the municipality I live in has seperate rules for privacy fences. For example, not allowed to be over six-feet tall, cannot run past the front end of the home, and as said before, good side to the neighbors view.

It sounds like you're going to speak with the neighbor, that alone would make me want to get a permit. Don't know your relationship with them, but you might cheese them off by telling them they need to clean their yard.

Good luck

:banned:

In many places, you cant build right to your property line. You need to leave 6-12 inches. In this case, the neighbor would have to come onto your property to hang things on your fence. 

Hard to tell you the laws as every city has different rules. 

In many places, you cant build right to your property line. You need to leave 6-12 inches. In this case, the neighbor would have to come onto your property to hang things on your fence. 

That’s how my fence is. Probably 18 inches in. There are occasionally advantages to being able to walk around the fence also (within my yard). To put anything on or against the fence would also be in my yard. 

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
The fence is all mine right? Like, the neighbor cant attach planters or other crap on my fence, right? 
Just to be sure I'd increase the budget slightly to add security cameras (probably fisheye lens) on the tops of the 4x4s pointed down into the neighbor's yard to ensure they stay at least 3 feet from the perimeter of the fence

My fence was the first up here. New neighbors asked if they could attach to my fence and continue it to fence in their yard. I said yes, I believe he gained about 6" of yard by doing that.

Did you say 20' ? That is a really tall fence and would bother me if my neighbor did that. I bet you require a permit for something that tall.

Just to be sure I'd increase the budget slightly to add security cameras (probably fisheye lens) on the tops of the 4x4s pointed down into the neighbor's yard to ensure they stay at least 3 feet from the perimeter of the fence
Between this and the tree thread you’re having an off morning. 

I don’t think it’s crazy or unreasonable to find out what the laws are in relation to my property rights prior to building something. 

My fence was the first up here. New neighbors asked if they could attach to my fence and continue it to fence in their yard. I said yes, I believe he gained about 6" of yard by doing that.

Did you say 20' ? That is a really tall fence and would bother me if my neighbor did that. I bet you require a permit for something that tall.
20’ long. Max height for a backyard fence here is 6’6”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Between this and the tree thread you’re having an off morning. 

I don’t think it’s crazy or unreasonable to find out what the laws are in relation to my property rights prior to building something. 
Trying to give some real advice GB. You’d be surprised - these cameras are cheap these days 

One example, well rated, won’t break the bank

Vanxse CCTV 1/3 CMOS HD 1200TVL 12LED IR-Cut 960H 180degree Fish Eye Lens Outdoor Waterproof Bullet Security Camera Surveillance Camera with Bracket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075F3R6Y4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mSxUDb2AXZZNP
Thanks! Got any good recommendations for a whole house system that user friendly? I can install it all but the monitoring of it all is the tedious part for me. Im more of a hands on guy. Software is annoying. 

I'm sure it is less for a fence but we're building an external garage and need 10'.  

Thanks! Got any good recommendations for a whole house system that user friendly? I can install it all but the monitoring of it all is the tedious part for me. Im more of a hands on guy. Software is annoying. 
I would go with Adobe personally.  Price is right, good integration in the system, so no annoying monitoring

When I built my privacy fence a couple years ago I checked with the permit office (I live in the county, not within city limits) and they made sure to check where I was on the flood map.  They said that for a fence, you have to leave X inches of space between the bottom of the fence and the ground because depending on where you are and length of fence, you can impede the natural flow of rainwater and alter the flood map/zones if your fence is all the way to the ground.  Lady in the permit office told me that as long as I left like 2" or something I can't remember exactly, of space below the fence I was good.  If I'd have been caught by an inspector afterward with it on the ground they can sue me and make me tear it down supposedly.  Check for flood zones in your area. 

If you build the fence solely on your property then it is all yours and you would be responsible for maintaining the entire thing.  They would also not be allowed to put anything on it because it is on your property.

If you build the fence on the lot line then you each "own" your side of the fence.  There are laws etc about doing this so check to see for your area. 

We have some new houses going in behind my lot.  We have a nice view of the valley and it's something that really sold us when we bought 12 years ago.  At that time there was a developer and we looked into what could happen and were happy with the communication and plans for the area.  Over the last 12 years the property has changed hands multiple times and now it is finally being developed.  The lot behind is stretches about 2/3 of my lot line and completely behind my neighbor (it is weird shaped because of an easement for a state water line).   One day we notice they are putting up a 6' wooden fence blocking our view.  We immediately call the developer to see what the hell is going on since we were not consulted.  They blame the new owner saying they required this fence and won't change their mind and they don't even want to discuss it.  Since the fence was solely on their property there wasn't anything we could do.  We called the county and were basically told we were SOL. 

In the meantime we finally find out who the new owners are and start up a conversation with them.  They were not set on the fence and actually didn't like it (the developer did not do a quality job installing it.  They said there only desire was for the fence to be uniform (our neighbor had a block wall and we had a split rail fence).  We had planned to replace the split rail fence (it was old and needed replacing) but were waiting for the new owners so we could discuss it with them to make sure everyone was happy.  After talking with them they have now agreed to remove this terrible 6' fence and put up a block fence to match the other neighbor.  Bottom line the developer was the problem and wasted a bunch of time and money with that crappy fence that will now be coming down.  We get the fence at a height that maintains our view and new owner gets a uniform fence along their back property line. 

20ft is 2 and half panels - and you are replacing an exisitng fence?  Just put it where the current fence sits.   

not everyone will want to spend the money for gun turrets right up front believe me i know but its actually more costly to add them later if you want to and believe me you will decide you want to take that to the bank brohans

You've read the tree thread, right?

Fences and trees- two things I routinely see cause immense headache for homeowners. Homeowners who don't bother discussing things first with the neighbors involved. A fence has two sides...it's not going to be exactly the same on both sides unless you make it that way...and even if you do- your neighbor might prefer to be involved in the discussion of something that's going to affect his property..even if it's all the waaaaay back those 12" off the property line.

Talk to your neighbor and explain what you're going to do. They might even split the cost with you...and even if not, you've at least given them the chance to anticipate what's coming or have an alternative idea that fits both your needs.

You've read the tree thread, right?

Fences and trees- two things I routinely see cause immense headache for homeowners. Homeowners who don't bother discussing things first with the neighbors involved. A fence has two sides...it's not going to be exactly the same on both sides unless you make it that way...and even if you do- your neighbor might prefer to be involved in the discussion of something that's going to affect his property..even if it's all the waaaaay back those 12" off the property line.

Talk to your neighbor and explain what you're going to do. They might even split the cost with you...and even if not, you've at least given them the chance to anticipate what's coming or have an alternative idea that fits both your needs.
After rewalkong the property I found the old -old- original fence that was shared. The current fence is 18” from the old old original fence.

So- I will put the new fence where the current fence is and it belongs to me and only me.

I caught up with the owner and explained what I’m doing and also discussed cutting down some trees and he was cool with it all. 

After rewalkong the property I found the old -old- original fence that was shared. The current fence is 18” from the old old original fence.

So- I will put the new fence where the current fence is and it belongs to me and only me.

I caught up with the owner and explained what I’m doing and also discussed cutting down some trees and he was cool with it all. 
Nice.

People are insane. A perfectly fine fence will cause some guy to go bezerk because it was imposed on him, while the same fence will work if they're given a heads-up.

Users who are viewing this thread