What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FF Index Draft in justover 2 hours (1 Viewer)

David Dodds

Administrator
Footballguys.com drew the # 1 hole in this 12 team draftFootballguys, KFFL, Coachbox. Red Eye Sports, Fantasy GNs, 1st Place Sports, Homegrown Sports, Footballinjuries, The Huddle, FF Champs, FF Index and Rotowire will be represented.This is a total points league and we get maximum points scored by position each week (no roster management)Starters = 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK and 1 Def22 Rounds of DraftingPlayer Scoring = 4 points per passing TDs, 6 points per rush/receiving TD. 1 point per 20 yards passing. 1 point per 10 yards rushing/receiving. (No negative points for fumbles or interceptions)Individual players also score on kick returns.Kicker scoring = 3 points per FG, 1 point per extra point.Defensive scoring = 6 points for TDs, 2 points for sacks, 2 points for fumble recoveries, 2 points per interception.-----------------------------------------------------------My early thoughts on this (I draft in about 2 hours...LOL) is the following:1. Grab 3 known starting QBs starting in the middle rounds (8th-11th). This is a situation where quantity approximates quality since I do not have to determine who to get (drafts 3 QBs)2. Since I draft early, hammer RBs early and often and then STOP. Get 4 KNOWN starters not in danger of losing their jobs and possibly back one of them up real late (drafts 5 RBs). Take RBs with 4 of my first 5 picks to accomplish this.3. Take 1 WR in round 4 or 5. Then take WRs in round 6 and 7 before before deferring to get my QBs. Because this league requires 3 WRs, my goal is to finish with 7 WRs looking to exploit soft spots in the NFL schedule and players that are homerun threats (score on the deep ball). I feel these players can hit for enough big games so I can hide my lack of drafting WRs early.4. Take 2 kickers late5. Take three defenses late. I think the defensive position is random enough that having a third defense could be super beneficial in this format.6. Take 2 TEs pretty late (Don't even consider a TE until 9 are off the board).7. Draft guys that will play from Day 1 (not looking for an injury). It has been my experience that although the Maurice Morris Players can be huge, they also can bust and score so little they wasted a roster spot. By having all starters, I increase the random chance of having the explosion game by a lesser player.This draft starts at 10am Pacific Time (but I will be looking at this thread through the day) so if you have some final thoughts, send them in. I would be interested in ideas how best to exploit the #1 hole.

Looks like a strong strategy. RB/WR through seven rounds, then look for a QB if value exists. Don't even peek at the tight ends until round 12-13.My guess is Aaron Brooks and Boo Williams will be the value picks late

Last edited by a moderator:
10 minutes until start and no excellent words of advice...LOL. I think I am ready or ready as I can be in the middle of May. I will post my team here as I draft it so if inspiration comes to any of you feel free to share your comments.

10 minutes until start and no excellent words of advice...LOL. I think I am ready or ready as I can be in the middle of May. I will post my team here as I draft it so if inspiration comes to any of you feel free to share your comments.
My words of advice at the 1 hole.....TAKE TOMLINSON!

I don't know how accurate these draft positions are but it looks like picks 24 and 25 will be tough.

I would find it tough to draft two of these RB's (Barber, Westbrook, Shipp, Bennett) over these possible remaining WR's (Owens, Chad Johnson, Ward and Coles).

I like the strategy you have laid out.Don't be afraid to take Julius Jones at the turn if he is still there.Henry or Bennett could be great value if they get ignored.RB/RB/RB looks good.Grab some strong WR2s with speed later on...Stallworth, A Bryant, Wayne, Morgan, LelieTheir big days could make it worth it.

At 24,25....I would go WR if a top 5 is there along with RB#2. In redraft leagues I try to take one stud WR in the 1st 3 rounds. After 5 rounds, I make sure I have 3 starting RB's on my roster. The other 2 spots are generally WR,WR or WR & TE if Heap/Shockey falls to the 4th round in TE required leagues.

Henry at 24 should be huge. I think he's better value than that even if McGahee lasts 16 games and takes a third of the carries.Nice start.

Nice draft so far. I'd just make a recommendation for a deep sleeper at WR. Arnaz Battle from SF. Impressed coaches in pre-season, played on special teams last year, plus he went to my high school and was phenomenal. Just my 2 cents though :thumbup: .

Good idea NOT trading down. Unless you could have traded from the 1 to the 4 or 5 and picked up a 2nd or 3rd round pick (not likely among "experts"), get that LT bomb and then have 2 more top-25 players at your bottom flop.If you are goping to add three more RB starters anyway - I recommend you do so at the 24/25 spot since I bet selection will still be good. Then, since you are at the flops, I would go two WRs at 4/5 turn, and then look for value backs - I don't like going 4 of your first 5 picks RB in a start-3 WR league, and where you can only start 2 RBs.In fact, I hate it as a strategy. The two RBs you get at the 2/3 flop should be fine for a RB2BC all year long, and it is not worth it to fall SO far behind the 8-ball at WR that you only take one at the 4/5 flop (the top WR talent will be fading fast, but shudl still be readily available there).QB and TE late - good idea.If you can trade for more picks in the 4th-6th, then I would think about more RBs. That is the sweet spot for WRs, so additional picks there will round your team a bit.

1. Tomlinson24. Travis Henry25. Tiki Barber
Man, great start.You are off to a solid start there David.
Barber at 3.1..........were you considering anyone else at that spot?
BEYOND great start - Henry - amazing. You can now also add McGahee fairly late as a fourth RB instead of taking a fourth RB early - I now REALLY hate the idea of going for another RB at the 4/5 flop just to add a fourth - unless a player like Dunn or Julius/Kevin JOnes is available. Can't ignore value starting you in the face, of course, but I really think you should look at back to back WRs at the 4/5 sweet spot for them since you now have three feature backs in a start-2 RBs league and no WRs in a start three WRs league.

I'd go receiver here with both picks (not knowing who is available)You can target RB's like Dayne and McGahee later on to back up your 2nd/3rd running backs and you'll be golden. Gotta be some value at receiver here.

This is a total points league and we get maximum points scored by position each week (no roster management)
I didn't notice this - this slight;y changes my outlook on the WRs, but I still feel that unless the RB value is excellent, you should be looking for two WRs at the 4/5 flop so you have at least two players there who produce often.Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith (with the news of Sharpe maybe retiring again), Burress, Price, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, etc. - I'd rather head into battle with two WR2 quality guys over only one and a host of hopefuls.Deon Branch late - Reggie Williams late - those are two guys I'd target late for the WR3 spot.

i took coles and moulds. 30 rbs gone alread...lol
:shock: This is the best start I thin kyou could hope for in a 12-team league, David. George and Brown at the next flop - yes! In this format, you just hope for either to put up a TD to go along with 40-50 yards in any given game.LT, Henry, Tiki (Eddie George, Chris Brown)Coles, MouldsWow.

Two top 15 WRs, excellent stuff.Gotta go WR/QB or QB/QB with your next picks.I would lean towards one WR but it depends if you see outstanding QB value.

Exploit soft spots in the NFL schedule and players that are homerun threats (score on the deep ball). I feel these players can hit for enough big games so I can hide my lack of drafting WRs early.
How do you determine which WRs meet this profile after the first twenty or so are gone?

Wow, this is moving fast.I see Smith having a good year.Byes...LT week 10Henry week 3Barber week 6Coles week 7Moulds week 3Toomer week 6Smith (Jimmy?) week 9

Looks like a strong strategy. RB/WR through seven rounds, then look for a QB if value exists. Don't even peek at the tight ends until round 12-13.My guess is Aaron Brooks and Boo Williams will the the value picks late
That would be my strategy with a couple of disclaimers.Oops, looks like I was a little late...here's what I was going to post...
I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a WR in the 3rd or 4th though if somebody slid. You probably remember from my Survivor I Draft Critique that although I believe in going RB-RB early, I don't think you should be dead set going into a draft on going RB with your first four of five. Although, three of five I would definitley say is a sound strategy given the format.Also I wouldn't be afraid to go after a QB in 6/7 if there is a guy you like that's at the end of a tier.Don't mess with the committee situations in this formatDraft LT!Your draft will be won at the 24/25 picks IMO. Players I like around the turn:-Julius Jones/Kevin Jones are thoughts-Dillon I like if he makes it there-Chad Johnson I like there, if he makes it-Don't Take Peyton if he Slides! Which he probably wont.Just sharing my thoughts...I'm anxious to see the results and to write an article on the team rankings!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread