What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Official Horror Movie Thread (2 Viewers)

Having some trouble with The Taking of Deborah Logan - I'm about halfway through and something was just about to mess me up a bit... I'll see if I can get back to it. Very well done so far, just a type of movie that I have trouble with.

A daughter gets upset when her mother with Alzheimer's gets diagnosed with much less time to live. Whooo, that's a hard thing to parse - we live next door to our inlaws, and my mother in law died of Alzheimer's, and a diagnosis like that is the sort of thing that can make you fell relieved, then guilty about it.

ETA: I'm getting back to this, and something I really like is that the setting is a documentary, and every time something freaky happens, the people watch the tape to try to figure it out and show each other that something freaky is happening. This is what I'm always asking for in any found footage type of movie!

I first watched this while my grandmother was in late stages of dementia. The movie hit particularly hard and it might be why it's so memorable for me. You dont usually see great acting in found footage, but the lady in this is really good.

This movie is on my Mt. Rushmore of Found Footage. It does everything right.
Okay, I finished it, and it didn't mess with me in the ways I was expecting. Another thing I liked: a dude just noping out of a freaky situation. This is freaky, I'm out. Good job, dude. I liked the movie.

The Invitation (2015) (Peacock): IMDB 6.6. A guy's ex-wife invites him and their old friend group over for dinner after disappearing for 2 years after their son died and they divorced. Things seem off to the guy, but the dinner is in their old house and he's having lots of memories, so he's not sure if it's just his grief making him feel uneasy. Meh, this wasn't poorly made or anything, acting was good... but don't go out of your way to see it.

It was slow, and not really all that scary - just a little unsettling until it exploded, which really wasn't that big of an explosion. The final scene implying that this cult somehow had convinced an entire neighborhood to host death parties was incredibly stupid.

I saw a tralier for the American remake of See No Evil. This seems like a remake that might work well. The original was really good, I thought.

I saw a tralier for the American remake of See No Evil. This seems like a remake that might work well. The original was really good, I thought.
I disagree here. IMO the American attempts are worse when it's a movie like this that pulls no punches. I agree that the original is good, even great. But it was a tough, uncomfortable watch. I think with any remake from the States we get, some punches will be pulled and the experience will suffer (not that it was a fun one to begin with). Maybe if Ari Aster was directing I would have different expectations.

I disagree here. IMO the American attempts are worse when it's a movie like this that pulls no punches. I agree that the original is good, even great. But it was a tough, uncomfortable watch. I think with any remake from the States we get, some punches will be pulled and the experience will suffer (not that it was a fun one to begin with). Maybe if Ari Aster was directing I would have different expectations.
The trailer had a similar feel. We'll see - of course the most likely outcome is that this will be worse, but the trailer has me intrigued.

I just watched the trailer, and will follow up the above comment that also what is lost a bit is the cultural dynamics with movies like this. I would also point to Force Majure vs. Downhill. Heavy is themes of masculinity and when to stand up or speak out - and those aren't the same around the world. To me what seems comes off as uncomfortable and tense in the European/Nordic movies comes off a bit goofier and played for laughs in our versions. Something is lost in the translation.

The Invitation (2015) (Peacock): IMDB 6.6. A guy's ex-wife invites him and their old friend group over for dinner after disappearing for 2 years after their son died and they divorced. Things seem off to the guy, but the dinner is in their old house and he's having lots of memories, so he's not sure if it's just his grief making him feel uneasy. Meh, this wasn't poorly made or anything, acting was good... but don't go out of your way to see it.

It was slow, and not really all that scary - just a little unsettling until it exploded, which really wasn't that big of an explosion. The final scene implying that this cult somehow had convinced an entire neighborhood to host death parties was incredibly stupid.

I really liked the atmosphere of this one, unsettling and unspoken tension just under the surface until things get weird.

I just watched the trailer, and will follow up the above comment that also what is lost a bit is the cultural dynamics with movies like this. I would also point to Force Majure vs. Downhill. Heavy is themes of masculinity and when to stand up or speak out - and those aren't the same around the world. To me what seems comes off as uncomfortable and tense in the European/Nordic movies comes off a bit goofier and played for laughs in our versions. Something is lost in the translation.
I felt when watching the original that just about every American would believe that they would fight to the death in that car if needed. I know we wouldn't all actually be able to, but that just seems like a cultural thing. That could ruin the remake alone - that scene doesn't work if the dad is an American, I think.

I think I had never heard of Force Majeure when I saw it - just stumbled across it in some service and decided to watch it, thinking it was going to be a disaster movie, but was so pleasantly surprised. I never knew there was an American remake, I doubt I'll ever watch that.

I felt when watching the original that just about every American would believe that they would fight to the death in that car if needed. I know we wouldn't all actually be able to, but that just seems like a cultural thing. That could ruin the remake alone - that scene doesn't work if the dad is an American, I think.

I think I had never heard of Force Majeure when I saw it - just stumbled across it in some service and decided to watch it, thinking it was going to be a disaster movie, but was so pleasantly surprised. I never knew there was an American remake, I doubt I'll ever watch that.
Yup, starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Will Ferrell. Casting alone tips you off to the tone difference.

Peacock got some new movies just before my temporary sub ends, so I watched two:

Happy Death Day (Peacock): 2017 slasher/timeloop movie with 6.6 on IMDB.
I like time loops and slashers can be fun. This was a good combo. Sorority girl gets killed by a masked killer, has to repeat the day until she figures out how to escape from the loop. This was a fun movie, I liked it.
Some of the investigation stuff about the time loop had no real basis - one guy suggests figuring out who's killing her, but maybe she has to kill the killer, or find true love, or just survive the night, or learn another language, or mend her relationship with her father... nothing really told her what she needed to do. Also, as she was crossing people off her list, the sorority leader wasn't resolved, just crossed off for no reason. One thing I did like was that she was degrading physically with each loop, so we couldn't have a full Bill Murray learning piano infinite loop.

Night of the Living Dead (1990) (Peacock): IMDB 6.8. Rewritten version of the original by George Romero, directed by Tom Savini. This gets a higher IMDB rating that Happy Death Day? What a piece of crap given that it came out as late as 1990. Just the worst acting and directing, 1950s style - every man just grabs and pushes everyone when it's their turn to talk, the women just scream a lot. I can see why the cast had nobody I recognized (I didn't watch Babylon 5) - I can't imagine hiring anyone after seeing them in this. The twist at the end compared to the 1968 version was actually pretty cool - of course it couldn't have as much effect as the ending of the original, but this did the best it could. Not worth watching, but maybe worth reading the Wiki summary for the twist ending if you love the original.

The trailer had a similar feel. We'll see - of course the most likely outcome is that this will be worse, but the trailer has me intrigued.
As soon as I saw the trailer, I looked at my wife and said there is no way they keep the same ending. When we saw the original, I can not remember another movie where my wife and I were more angry/frustrated at the ending.

Peacock got some new movies just before my temporary sub ends, so I watched two:

I like time loops and slashers can be fun. This was a good combo. Sorority girl gets killed by a masked killer, has to repeat the day until she figures out how to escape from the loop. This was a fun movie, I liked it.
Some of the investigation stuff about the time loop had no real basis - one guy suggests figuring out who's killing her, but maybe she has to kill the killer, or find true love, or just survive the night, or learn another language, or mend her relationship with her father... nothing really told her what she needed to do. Also, as she was crossing people off her list, the sorority leader wasn't resolved, just crossed off for no reason. One thing I did like was that she was degrading physically with each loop, so we couldn't have a full Bill Murray learning piano infinite loop.
There is a part 2 that is equally enjoyable

There is a part 2 that is equally enjoyable
I’m halfway through it.

Happy Death Day 2U (Peacock): It's fine - it removed most of the slashing and went more for like a Real Genius time loop story. I didn't mind watching it, but it's not essential.

Man vs. (Prime): IMDB 5.6, 2016 horror/sci-fi movie. How had I not thought of this concept before? Perfect elevator pitch: "Bear Grylls but horror" - someone in the remote woods, no contact for 5 days, not military but has survivor skills, lots of cameras around to set up for shots... it's a perfect setup. You're basically in the basement of Cabin in the Woods at this point - you can add zombies, aliens, hillbillies, mermen, bigfoot, whatever you want. This movie could have been much more - with competent special effects, this could have been good. Alas, they somehow were still using a Commodore 64 in 2016 for their special effects, and while they did a good job of hiding it for 90% of the movie, when they couldn't stay hidden any longer, woof. I thought it was acted well and there was a good twist at the end... too bad about the effects.

Inspired by my (after the fact) reading of the horror movie rankings thread, I started October early this year. So far, I've watched the following:

Jeepers Creepers (2001)- it's been a while since I watched this one. There is plenty of ridiculousness and the script is a bit lazy (using the psychic woman to explain the monster), but it's super creepy - especially the first act, and had a "twist" ending that sets this horror film apart a little.

The Menu (2022) - more of a dark comedy than true horror - although the horror element is also pretty dark - it was a great movie, I originally saw in the therater. Amazing casting and acting and it rises above a typical horror flick with the plot and backstories.

The Wolfman (1941) - Even taking into consideration when this movie was made - and the fact I loved these "monster" movies as a kid - this movie was pretty bad. It lacks any real action or scares, and the werewolf is hardly a menacing creature as he gets his *** kicked by an old man at the end. Lawrence Talbot (Lon Chaney, Jr.) is kind of a slimeball in the movie as well which makes it hard to have much sympathy for him.

Get Out (2017) - a very original idea and very well executed (despite figuring out the "twist" pretty early in the movie) There are some genuine scares and it's weird/trippy visuals work well to create the creepiness. The comic relief buddy added a nice contrast as well.

The Mist (2007) - I saw this once before and thought it was a bit silly but gave it a second chance, and it was really a much better movie than I expected. The plot and the "monsters" are pretty childish but the character development and human interactions were interesting and the tension and scares were there. The ending of course was a gut punch, but effective - although to be honest, I'm not sure how many dads would choose to go that route (even if it seemed more humane to die that way).

I Saw the TV Glow is an excellent bit of 90s tween horror nostalgia (Are You Afraid of the Dark, Buffy, etc) and identity psychology backed by an amazing soundtrack. I enjoyed it and will see it again when it comes to streaming.

Trailer: https://youtu.be/kymDzCgPwj0?si=l9VnUnprvLti3XWC
Watched this last night, thoroughly enjoyed it though if I went in thinking it was straight horror I probably would have been a bit disappointed. But had fun this morning reading reviews/thematic breakdowns. Definitely made me think.

The Menu (2022) - more of a dark comedy than true horror - although the horror element is also pretty dark - it was a great movie, I originally saw in the therater. Amazing casting and acting and it rises above a typical horror flick with the plot and backstories.

The Wolfman (1941) - Even taking into consideration when this movie was made - and the fact I loved these "monster" movies as a kid - this movie was pretty bad. It lacks any real action or scares, and the werewolf is hardly a menacing creature as he gets his *** kicked by an old man at the end. Lawrence Talbot (Lon Chaney, Jr.) is kind of a slimeball in the movie as well which makes it hard to have much sympathy for him.
I really liked The Menu. The story really just developed so well.
I watched The Wolfman last October. It was always my favorite monster movie as a kid but I agree, it really wasn't that good. I was kind of surprised how much better I thought it was.

Cannibal Holocaust is on Peacock. I never saw it before but heard about it.
Damn, that is a sick movie. It feels so real. Not something I'd ever watch again.

Also watched Pearl the other day and thought it was very good. I know people say to watch X first but I didn't see it streaming anywhere so watched Pearl first. Great job by Mia Goth.

Also watched Pearl the other day and thought it was very good. I know people say to watch X first but I didn't see it streaming anywhere so watched Pearl first. Great job by Mia Goth.
I really like Pearl and I'm looking forward to rewatching it next month. It's a perfectly fine standalone movie if you don't want to watch X, for whatever reason.

Damn, that is a sick movie. It feels so real. Not something I'd ever watch again.
Brutal….just brutal. I own the collectors edition DVD of it too.

:bag:

If you want to see an insane cannibalism flick that is far more updates and inspired by Cannibal Holocaust than check out Eli Roth’s

The Green Inferno.

Dude……insane.

If you want to see an insane cannibalism flick that is far more updates and inspired by Cannibal Holocaust than check out Eli Roth’s

The Green Inferno.

Dude……insane.
Yeah, I saw Green Inferno once.

Once.

I don’t find Mia Goth at all attractive, which made X less enjoyable. But for Pearl, it made it better.

The Green Inferno.

Dude……insane.
Yeah, I saw Green Inferno once.

Once.
:Laugh emoji:

The Green Inferno.

Dude……insane.
Seen it and yeah it was brutal too but didn't have the realism of Holocaust, imo.

I Saw the TV Glow is an excellent bit of 90s tween horror nostalgia (Are You Afraid of the Dark, Buffy, etc) and identity psychology backed by an amazing soundtrack. I enjoyed it and will see it again when it comes to streaming.

Watched this last night, thoroughly enjoyed it though if I went in thinking it was straight horror I probably would have been a bit disappointed. But had fun this morning reading reviews/thematic breakdowns. Definitely made me think.
Is this streaming somewhere now?

Max

The Substance— just saw it today in the theater. I will start out by saying how this movie did not get an NC-17 rating is beyond me. The level of violence, gore and constant nudity is just off the chain. This movie is up there with Dead Alive as far as some of the more shocking things I’ve seen on film.

It has Demi Moore and Margaret Qualley in it. Spoiler free plot is Demi plays an aging starlet, who has an exercise aerobic show. The network wants a younger face. Demi is given an opportunity by this weird company to create a younger better person. The catch is you can’t be awake when that person is awake so you have to rotate every seven days. There is a lot more to it than this and the results are just horrifying.

It was a very entertaining movie. I thought it was about 15 minutes too long and they could’ve done without that ending sequence. If you have a strong stomach, you will enjoy this one. 4/5.

Lesbian Vampire Killers- With James Corden before he became James Corden this is a silly little schtickfest that has a few chuckle worthy moments and a light heart but overall meh. Good for a time waster or background noise. Some nice looking young ladies but never more than a quick peek-a-boo which fits perfectly with this harmless 90 minute sketch.

Max
I watched this last night. Apparently this is the second film in what the director sees as a thematic trilogy. The first was We're All Going to the World's Fair, which I had on my Top 200 horror movie list. So I was looking forward to this one.

It was fine. It was less of a horror movie than it was a horror-themed movie about two people with severe mental health problems, but that's also true of World's Fair. You can definitely see how these movies fit together and that the director has something to say about how we interact with media. Everything about this film was competently done. If that sounds like faint praise, it's because the art direction of this movie is practically a parody of the "A24 look" to the point that it was actually distracting in places. It's pretty looking, but self-consciously so.

I'd give it a solid 7/10. It's worth a watch, but I imagine most viewers will find it confusing and/or frustrating. Honestly, the target audience for this film is "people who like A24 movies." If you don't self-identify as such a person, it's unlikely that you will like this one.

Last edited:
I have my October movie schedule set based off the top 200 countdown. Some are new, some are rewatches due to a difference in rankings. Decided to start early and saw Eden Lake last night. Not what I expected story-wise, but based on the thread comments, I was not surprised by the ending. It definitely stirred up some feelings of anger, which is good from a story perspective, but in the end, I was underwhelmed.

I have my October movie schedule set based off the top 200 countdown. Some are new, some are rewatches due to a difference in rankings. Decided to start early and saw Eden Lake last night. Not what I expected story-wise, but based on the thread comments, I was not surprised by the ending. It definitely stirred up some feelings of anger, which is good from a story perspective, but in the end, I was underwhelmed.

Same, also started early and saw Eden Lake a few weeks ago for the first time. The wife was very upset by the ending and couldn't go to bed :lol:

Max
I watched this last night. Apparently this is the second film in what the director sees as a thematic trilogy. The first was We're All Going to the World's Fair, which I had on my Top 200 horror movie list. So I was looking forward to this one.

It was fine. It was less of a horror movie than it was a horror-themed movie about two people with severe mental health problems, but that's also true of World's Fair. You can definitely see how these movies fit together and that the director has something to say about how we interact with media. Everything about this film was competently done. If that sounds like faint praise, it's because the art direction of this movie is practically a parody of the "A24 look" to the point that it was actually distracting in places. It's pretty looking, but self-consciously so.

I'd give it a solid 7/10. It's worth a watch, but I imagine most viewers will find it confusing and/or frustrating. Honestly, the target audience for this film is "people who like A24 movies." If you don't self-identify as such a person, it's unlikely that you will like this one.

This caught my eye but haven't watched it yet. Do I need to watch the World's Fair one first?

Max

This caught my eye but haven't watched it yet. Do I need to watch the World's Fair one first?
No. They aren't directly linked in any way. I have not seen World's Fair.

Watched Barbarian last night and loved it.

Somehow, 3 out of the 8 horror movies I have watched this Halloween season have starred Justin Long. I knew he was in Jeepers Creepers since I watched it before but had no idea he was in Drag Me to Hell or Barbarian, until he appeared.

Is he the "it" guy for horror movies or something?

Barbarian was the best of the three (and I really liked all three). A very original story that I did not see coming at all.

If you like Justin Long in horror movies, do yourself a favor and watch Tusk. It's such a uniquely grotesque movie, even if you dont like it, it will stick with you.

We have a plethora of BD’s and 4K BD’s lined up for our own Fear Fest.

New timeline:
Halloween
Halloween 2018
Halloween Kills
Halloween Ends

Old school Timeline:
Halloween
Halloween II
Halloween IV
Halloween V
Halloween VI Producers Cut

Insidious 1-5
Conjuring 1 and 2
The Exorcist

Carpenter Binge:
The Fog
The Thing
Halloween III
Prince of Darkness
In The Mouth of Madness

Heredity
The Mist
My Bloody Valentine
The Burning
Prom Night
Terror Train
The Dead Zone
Lifeforce
Ghost Story
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Dracula 1979 (Frank Langella)
The Horror of Dracula (Christopher Lee)
Prince of Darkness (Christopher Lee)
The Thing (Prequel)

Trying to knock out as many of these as I can before Halloween

Black Christmas
Burnt offerings
Conjuring
Creep
Dead Zone
Deathgasm
Don't Move
Eden Lake
Errementari
Family Pack
Frankie Freako
Happy Death Day
Happy Death Day 2
Insidious
It follows
It's what's inside- Netflix
Mandy
Messiah of evil
Near Dark
Platform 2
Possession
Possessor
Rabid
Ready or Not
Revenge
Safety not guaranteed
Shivers
Skinamarink
Speak no evil
Spookies
Suspuria
Taking of Deborah Logan
Talk to me
Terrifier 2
The babysitter / part 2
The Brood
The girl with all the gifts
The Greasy Strangler
The sadness
The substance
Time Cut
Woman of the Hour - Netflix
Tenants

The Green Inferno last night. I knew a bit about it going in, had some good shock value and practical effects, but a strange mix of tones and some odd story choices ultimately left me neutral on it.

How about we talk out loud and brain storm? I am trying to keep this pretty simple, fun, and giving people choices. But I do want people to get introduced to new things or watch stuff they might not have. So I trimmed down the categories and thought something like:

Categories (10)

Slasher or Giallo
Found Footage
Horror Comedy
Religion
Folk Horror
Sci-Fi Horror
Body Horror
Psychological Horror
Foreign Language
Horror Anthology

Monsters (10)

Werewolf of Land Creature
The undead (vampire or zombie)
Ghost or Poltergeist
Witches
Demons or Devils
Kids and Teens
Water Creature
Clowns or Dolls
Machines

Makin' Movies! (5)

A movie from Romero, Carpenter, or Craven - but NOT from their main franchise (Dead, Halloween, Nightmare)
Female Director
Horror Debut
A movie with Tom Savini effects
1st role for a famous actor

Misc (5)

A movie from your birth year
Rewatch a movie that scared you as a kid/teen
A 5th movie or higher from a franchise
Pre 1980s sequel or remake
Low budget horror ($1M or less?)

Watch one of your personal favorite horror movies (1)

I really like the categories and I think they cover a lot of ground paired with some of the monsters like Witches and Ghosts to cover other subgenres missed there. I also like the Makin' Movies ideas. Where I am iffiest on is the Misc and Monsters categories. I would love to hear ideas on tweaks or if people don't like this at all and want more specific ideas.

I also thought we could come up with "bonus" goals while you are filling out your lists, like making 1/3 of the movies foreign language, take a movie from 8 or more different decades, 80% new to you movies, stuff like that.

Thoughts?? :popcorn:
I completely forgot about this post. I might try this and see what i can up with that is streaming.

The Green Inferno last night. I knew a bit about it going in, had some good shock value and practical effects, but a strange mix of tones and some odd story choices ultimately left me neutral on it.
It’s a shocking flick. Story was odd in spots…agree. But man some insane scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread