What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Top 200 Horror Movies of All Time: #1 - Alien (8 Viewers)

If people are still interested in revising their lists with new movies watched or just rethinking things, please send me the revision. I'll recompile and note how the list changes.

In terms of glaring omissions, I completely forgot about The Conjuring. It's not that I haven't seen it, or that it just slipped my mind when I was doing my rankings. I actually forgot that I had seen this. When it turned up last week or whenever, I decided to go back and watch it since that seemed like a real hole in my horror viewing. After about 15 minutes I realized that I had actually seen this a couple of years ago and it just completely drifted out of my mind. I probably should have ranked it because it's a genuinely good film, but obviously it did not make an impression on me.

One thing I've enjoyed about this exercise is pinpointing movies to go back and watch. Thanks to this thread, I've now seen Erremantari: The Blacksmith and the Devil, The Taking of Deborah Logan, the Candyman remake, The Blackwell Ghost, Harpooon, and Goodnight Mommy, all of which were worth watching. I'll watch Deborah Logan again sometime for sure.

#24 - It Follows​

When carefree teenager Jay sleeps with her older boyfriend for the first time, she learns that she is the latest recipient of a fatal curse that is passed from victim to victim via sexual intercourse. Death, Jay learns, will creep inexorably toward her as either a friend or a stranger. Jay's friends don't believe her seemingly paranoid ravings, until they too begin to see the phantom assassins and band together to help her defend herself.

David Robert Mitchell
Supernatural, Psychological
USA

IMDB: 68
Metacritic: 83
RottenTomatoes: 97

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkZYbOH0ujw

Streaming:

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/it-follows

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 19
Brunell4MVP 24
Frostillicus 11
IvanKaramazov 35
Keith R 13
Scoresman 7
The Gator 12
Todem 62
Yambag 65
I'm catching up after a fishing trip...

I thought this was a neat idea, but poorly executed. I know I'm in the minority here, but I thought the acting, score, and shots were poor. I also thought the final confrontation made no sense on a few levels - their plan made no sense, and the solution was something they had done before, so I don't know why it worked this time.

I'm going to work my way through the list, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the highest-rated movie on the list that I've seen, but didn't like enough to put in my top 75.

#24 - It Follows​

When carefree teenager Jay sleeps with her older boyfriend for the first time, she learns that she is the latest recipient of a fatal curse that is passed from victim to victim via sexual intercourse. Death, Jay learns, will creep inexorably toward her as either a friend or a stranger. Jay's friends don't believe her seemingly paranoid ravings, until they too begin to see the phantom assassins and band together to help her defend herself.

David Robert Mitchell
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 19
Brunell4MVP 24
Frostillicus 11
IvanKaramazov 35
Keith R 13
Scoresman 7
The Gator 12
Todem 62
Yambag 65

I thought this was a neat idea, but poorly executed. I know I'm in the minority here, but I thought the acting, score, and shots were poor. I also thought the final confrontation made no sense on a few levels - their plan made no sense, and the solution was something they had done before, so I don't know why it worked this time.

I'm going to work my way through the list, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the highest-rated movie on the list that I've seen, but didn't like enough to put in my top 75.
I didn’t like it fwiw. Idea was interesting, but not the best execution imo

#24 - It Follows​

David Robert Mitchell
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 19
Brunell4MVP 24
Frostillicus 11
IvanKaramazov 35
Keith R 13
Scoresman 7
The Gator 12
Todem 62
Yambag 65

I think the fishing trip is this post.

;)

My misses were

Shadow of the Vampire (HM)
Them (2006)
X (2022)
Swamp Thing (1982)
The Poughkeepsie Tapes
The Host (2006)
Night of the Creeps
World War Z
The Eye (2002)
The Visit
Knock Knock
The Devil’s Rejects
The Purge: Anarchy
Under the Skin

Hot take: I think Train to Busan is in the running for best zombie movie ever made.
I don't think it's that hot of a take, I think it would at least be in most people's top 10.

I would say I've liked it slightly less each time I've watched it. It's a really well done zombie movie, but there's nothing new - it's just a straightforward fast zombie movie. The Korean cultural clashes are great, of course, but this didn't break any new ground... it just executed well. It's my 6th ranked zombie movie, but in the top tier.

And Peninsula was laughably awful.

Outstanding countdown @Scoresman

I will be turning in a revised list by this weekend.

I rethought a lot of things after going thru this countdown.

I also need to gather some thoughts on the top 12 and post them but I am away and want to really dig into it a little more when I get home.

#20 - Let the Right One In​

Set in 1982 in the suburb of Blackeberg, Stockholm, twelve-year-old Oskar is a lonely outsider, bullied at school by his classmates; at home, Oskar dreams of revenge against a trio of bullies. He befriends his twelve-year-old, next-door neighbor Eli, who only appears at night in the snow-covered playground outside their building.

Tomas Alfredson
Psychological, Creepy Kid
Sweden

IMDB: 79
Metacritic: 82
RottenTomatoes: 98

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICp4g9p_rgo&t=13s

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/let-the-right-one-in

Voter Ranks

BroncoFreak_2k3 58
Brunell4MVP 69
dickey moe 57
Frostillicus 55
ilov80s 42
IvanKaramazov 32
jamny 21
Keith R 16
Scoresman 21
The Gator 20
Tick 24
WVU Alum 8
Really like this film, but at #20? That’s nuts.
It just stands out to me. I've never seen anything else that really reminded me of this movie - it's an island.

It's the only one worth going out of your way for (maybe Saw X as well), and quite a bit of the impact is probably diminished at this point, but when I saw it on opening weekend, I was blown away. It has flaws but I'll always remember that first viewing. This is a "you had to be there" event to get the full impact, not unlike The Blair Witch Project
It seems like much of the genre really fits this "you had to be there" mantra. Probably because the nature of the beast is the shock and awe of what is happening and in the moment is always going to have so much more of an impact than after the fact. Years later, once everything has been spoiled, it really is difficult to give these type of movies the honor they deserve.
It's like art. I'm a big fan of art history and always hear people criticize old artwork. Impressionist painting might not look like much to some but they were sacrilege in their day. A lot of people could do a similar painting to Rothko or Pollock but they took the chance at doing it first. I don't ever need to see Blair Witch again but to be part of the experience when it came out gives it a higher appreciation. Saw falls into that as well, imo.
I read a book recently where someone went back in time, but with nothing on hand, and wasn't really able to fully reconstruct any technology that impressed people... until he sketched something with perspective and shading, which just blew them away and made them think of him as a wizard. Pretty cool bit part in the story - we never really think of art as a technology that keeps advancing. but it does.

#17 - The Descent​

After a tragic accident, six friends reunite for a caving expedition. Their adventure soon goes horribly wrong when a collapse traps them deep underground and they find themselves pursued by bloodthirsty creatures. As their friendships deteriorate, they find themselves in a desperate struggle to survive the creatures and each other.

Neil Marshall
Neo-Monster, Psychological
United Kingdom

IMDB: 72
Metacritic: 71
RottenTomatoes: 85

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSYg7Z1KS_I

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-descent

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 63
Brunell4MVP 9
dickey dad 21
dickey moe 17
Frostillicus 45
IvanKaramazov 28
Keith R 56
shuke 38
The Gator 21
Tick 11
Todem 44
WVU Alum 24
Yambag 66
I'm somewhat claustrophobic. Ted's Caving Page was scary to me. The cave parts of Descent hit me as hard as the monster.

#2 - The Shining​

Jack Torrance accepts a caretaker job at the Overlook Hotel, where he, along with his wife Wendy and their son Danny, must live isolated from the rest of the world for the winter. But they aren't prepared for the madness that lurks within.

Stanley Kubrick
Haunted House, Psychological
USA

I figured this would be top 5. As a huge Stephen King fan, I just don't get it. The book is great, but far from King's best. The movie is one of my least favorite adaptations of one of his stories. I think I said this ins a previous thread but don't remember for sure. The strength of the book is that all three family members are at least somewhat likeable in their own way, and you really want to root for the family as a whole. In the movie, all three are incredibly annoying and I pretty much find myself rooting for the hotel.

A few that didn't make the list but that I recommend:
  • Session 9. Basically a haunted house movie set in an abandoned mental asylum. David Caruso stars, along with one of the guys from Trainspotting.
  • Hell House LLC. I'm very surprised that this one didn't make the cut, because I thought it was highly-regarded. Good found footage movie.
  • Open Water. Two divers are left behind by their dive boat. This movie only does one thing, but it does it well IMO.
  • The Blackcoat's Daughter. A psychological horror film about a girl in a boarding school. Hard to summarize without spoilers.
  • We're All Going to the World's Fair. A psychological horror film about a girl who gets caught up in an online game (think "Blue Whale Challenge"). Quirky.
All of these are (I think) indies and have that feel to them.

#14 - 28 Days Later​

Twenty-eight days after a killer virus was accidentally unleashed from a British research facility, a small group of London survivors are caught in a desperate struggle to protect themselves from the infected. Carried by animals and humans, the virus turns those it infects into homicidal maniacs -- and it's absolutely impossible to contain.

Danny Boyle
Zombie/Virus
United Kingdom

IMDB: 76
Metacritic: 73
RottenTomatoes: 87

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7suz9ndPBHg

Streaming:

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/28-days-later-1

Voter Ranks

dickey moe 67
Frostillicus 57
ilov80s 26
IvanKaramazov 71
jamny 11
Keith R 23
Scoresman 28
shuke 43
The Gator 9
Tick 3
Todem 17
WVU Alum 15
Yambag 49
Restarted a genre. I like almost everything about this movie, but it's a little frustrating that it was shot in some weird way that makes it impossible to have a version that looks good on a modern TV.

Another one I left off my list is a little known Australian Great White Shark Horror film called:

The Reef.

Absolutely terrifying. And really well done. All real shark footage. Zero CGI.

#10 - Night of the Living Dead​

A ragtag group of Pennsylvanians barricade themselves in an old farmhouse to remain safe from a horde of flesh-eating ghouls that are ravaging the Northeast of the United States.

George A. Romero
Zombie/Virus, B/W
USA

IMDB: 79
Metacritic: 89
RottenTomatoes: 96

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5XwrRFP7Zw

Streaming:

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/night-of-the-living-dead

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 28
dickey moe 20
ilov80s 6
IvanKaramazov 3
jamny 1
Keith R 8
shuke 21
The Gator 28
Tick 4
UncleZen 29
WVU Alum 4
Apart from the ending, which is great, this is probably just me overrating a movie due to its impact rather than its quality.

• Session 9. Basically a haunted house movie set in an abandoned mental asylum. David Caruso stars, along with one of the guys from Trainspotting.
  • Hell House LLC. I'm very surprised that this one didn't make the cut, because I thought it was highly-regarded. Good found footage movie.
  • Open Water. Two divers are left behind by their dive boat. This movie only does one thing, but it does it well IMO.
  • The Blackcoat's Daughter. A psychological horror film about a girl in a boarding school. Hard to summarize without spoilers.
  • We're All Going to the World's Fair. A psychological horror film about a girl who gets caught up in an online game (think "Blue Whale Challenge"). Quirky.
Hell House LLC is great. Another one!!!

Open Water is also really good.

#9 - The Silence of the Lambs​

A young F.B.I. cadet must receive the help of an incarcerated and manipulative cannibal killer to help catch another serial killer, a madman who skins his victims.

Jonathan Demme
Thriller, Cannibal
USA

IMDB: 86
Metacritic: 85
RottenTomatoes: 95

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iB21hsprAQ

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-silence-of-the-lambs

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 12
Brunell4MVP 16
dickey moe 11
Frostillicus 3
ilov80s 1
IvanKaramazov 30
jamny 6
shuke 22
The Gator 32
Todem 55
UncleZen 13
Yambag 8
Great movie that I didn't think was in the horror genre when I made my list.

Hell House is one I have not seen but because of this list has been brought to my attention. Will check it out soon

I read The Shining before the movie came out. My only disappointment with it was the bush maze compared to the bush animals in the book. I was really looking forward to seeing how they pulled that off in the movie, although it was probably best left to the imagination.

#5 - The Thing​

Members of an American scientific research outpost in Antarctica find themselves battling a parasitic alien organism capable of perfectly imitating its victims. They soon discover that this task will be harder than they thought, as they don't know which members of the team have already been assimilated and their paranoia threatens to tear them apart.

John Carpenter
Sci-Fi, Body
USA

IMDB: 82
Metacritic: 57
RottenTomatoes: 81

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySvzHdtCiWE

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/thing-the

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 1
Brunell4MVP 48
dickey dad 18
dickey moe 23
Frostillicus 54
IvanKaramazov 5
jamny 3
Keith R 11
Scoresman 32
shuke 7
The Gator 6
Tick 12
Todem 5
WVU Alum 2
Yambag 29
Hell yeah
For some reason that's one horror movie that just doesn't click for me. Solid movie, don't hate it like TCM. Don't think it's bad. Quite the opposite. I just find it solid and not spectacular like most do. With 1 exception, I am generally lower on John Carpenter movies than most.
I agree. I saw it for the first time maybe 5-10 years ago. It was fine but I didn't think it was the greatest in any way. It was a movie. That's about it.
I dunno, man. Admittedly, I got connected to this movie when I was a kid, and I'm sure that has something to do with it. But some of the SFX in this movie still look awesome today, in 2024. Not all of them of course, but that spider-head? Come on -- that's phenomenal!

Edit: And also, the ambiguity of the ending. I don't like that sort of thing most of the time, but it 100% fits the theme of this movie.
I saw it for the first time within the last year. With the exception of a hilariously bad computer animation, it's still great.

#5 - The Thing​

Members of an American scientific research outpost in Antarctica find themselves battling a parasitic alien organism capable of perfectly imitating its victims. They soon discover that this task will be harder than they thought, as they don't know which members of the team have already been assimilated and their paranoia threatens to tear them apart.

John Carpenter
Sci-Fi, Body
USA

IMDB: 82
Metacritic: 57
RottenTomatoes: 81

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySvzHdtCiWE

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/thing-the

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 1
Brunell4MVP 48
dickey dad 18
dickey moe 23
Frostillicus 54
IvanKaramazov 5
jamny 3
Keith R 11
Scoresman 32
shuke 7
The Gator 6
Tick 12
Todem 5
WVU Alum 2
Yambag 29
I thought the recent prequel with Mary Elizabeth Winstead was pretty good. Of all the insane things, I saw it before this. I didn't even know it was a prequel and having not seen the original, there was nothing in it that let me know.

The Exorcist is also the only movie where all of its votes are top 25.

The # 4, 3, and 2 movies all had 15 votes, which means each movie has two people who didnt vote for them. I'd be interested in hearing why for these.
Haven't seen it, not sure I will.

My favorites in the top 50:

Dracula (1931) - this one scared the crap out of me as a kid left home alone. Maybe the only time in my life I was wishing for a commercial break.
Evil Dead 2
Nosferatu
Frankenstein (1931)
The Fly (1986) (always reminds me of the Wire tune "I Am The Fly")
Poltergeist
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Friday the 13th
Rosemary's Baby
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Psycho
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Exorcist
Jaws 🦈
Halloween 🎃
The Shining 🪓
Alien 👾

Mine that missed the list-

• 45 You’re Next - Adam Wingard - 2011
  • 46 Smile - Parker Finn - 2022
  • 50 No One Will Save You - Brian Duffiled - 2023
  • 59 Cobweb - Samuel Bodin - 2023
  • 67 The Invisible Man -Leigh Whanell - 2020
  • 68 Jeepers Creepers - Victor Salva - 2001
  • 72 Don’t Breath - Fede Alvarez - 2020
Awesome list! Haven't seen No One Will Save You but really like all the rest especially Cobweb

Awesome list! Haven't seen No One Will Save You but really like all the rest especially Cobweb
Cobweb was a huge surprise. I think it was @Tick who mentioned it in the horror thread. Really liked it

ETA: It was Keith R who recommended it

Last edited:

Cobweb was a huge surprise. I think it was @Tick who mentioned it in the horror thread. Really liked it
Nope, it's on my list to watch from that thread as well, but it hasn't popped up yet.

#2 - The Shining​

Jack Torrance accepts a caretaker job at the Overlook Hotel, where he, along with his wife Wendy and their son Danny, must live isolated from the rest of the world for the winter. But they aren't prepared for the madness that lurks within.

Stanley Kubrick
Haunted House, Psychological
USA

I figured this would be top 5. As a huge Stephen King fan, I just don't get it. The book is great, but far from King's best. The movie is one of my least favorite adaptations of one of his stories. I think I said this ins a previous thread but don't remember for sure. The strength of the book is that all three family members are at least somewhat likeable in their own way, and you really want to root for the family as a whole. In the movie, all three are incredibly annoying and I pretty much find myself rooting for the hotel.
I think both The Shining and Christine more as adaptations of the story rather than a straight translation.

Christine - in the book, Arnie is possessed by the ghost of Roland LeBay. In the movie it's the car itself that's the possessor.

The Shining - Similarly, In the book Jack is possessed by the hotel - which is a metaphor of the alcoholism that King himself experienced while writing it.

The movie is quite different in tone. Jack is just simply irredeemable from beginning to end. And that what I think Kubrick was going for - parenthood is hard, even harder when you're awful.

Jack's alcoholism makes him a worse person than he already was - and then when he encounters the spirits in the hotel his evil nature hits overdrive.

Hell House LLC is great. Another one!!!

Open Water is also really good.
Echo both of these as well. Open Water was on my list. Hell House just missed.

It might be closer to thriller but I'd have had Triangle on my list.

I may have tried to squeeze Ex Machina past the judges too.

Lastly, Devil's Backbone is one I remember liking.

Last edited:
One interesting thing about The Exorcist:
When I first saw it in the theater, the makeup looked fairly fake and unconvincing.
But when I watched it on my smaller screen TV, it was terrifying.

Last edited:
The Shining mini series was obviously weaker than the film, but the part where the old lady climbs out of the bathtub in it is still one of the creepiest things I've ever seen. :shock:🤪

Love Open Water. It's intense.

Users who are viewing this thread