What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Top 200 Horror Movies of All Time: #1 - Alien (7 Viewers)

Skinarimlick sounds like a movie I’d like to watch.

I added it to my list awhile back sounds like it’s pretty polarizing (as in most people seem to hate it)

I’ll probably get baked and give it a shot

The only way to watch this lool
I find it hard to believe anyone has ever watched the whole thing.
I did, but was on and off my phone through most of it

Christine - in the book, Arnie is possessed by the ghost of Roland LeBay. In the movie it's the car itself that's the possessor.

The Shining - Similarly, In the book Jack is possessed by the hotel - which is a metaphor of the alcoholism that King himself experienced while writing it.

The movie is quite different in tone. Jack is just simply irredeemable from beginning to end. And that what I think Kubrick was going for - parenthood is hard, even harder when you're awful.

Jack's alcoholism makes him a worse person than he already was - and then when he encounters the spirits in the hotel his evil nature hits overdrive.
Jeesh......how about some spoiler alert tags. Just ruined it now.

The Google sheet has been updated with everyone's individual lists, and also the "Pure Horror top 200" for those of you who don't want to accidently watch something that isn't horror. For this list, the following movies were out:

The Silence of the Lambs
Aliens
American Psycho
Se7en
Rear Window
They Live
Frailty
Black Swan
Terminator 2
Donnie Darko
Predator
Young Frankenstein
The Terminator

Other movies were bumped up and the following movies took the newly available spots. Some of these were honorable mentions.

Annihilation
Candyman (2021)
Dead Silence
Skinamarink
Bad Taste
Mandy
Session 9
Open Water
Final Girls
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Messiah of Evil
Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman
Doctor Sleep

While not quality horror, I've always had a soft spot for the original Prom Night. At this point, Canada was pumping these horror movies out.

Another one of Jamie Lee Curtis's scream fest roles right after Halloween - came out right after The Fog and just before Terror Train.

Entertaining film plus a rare serious role from Leslie Nielsen as JLC's dad, and fresh off his Airplane stint.

Other movies were bumped up and the following movies took the newly available spots. Some of these were honorable mentions.

Annihilation
Candyman (2021)
Dead Silence
Skinamarink
Bad Taste
Mandy
Session 9
Open Water

Final Girls
Messiah of Evil
Doctor Sleep
Yes!

My votes that didn't make the cut:

29 Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me 1992
33 Manhunter 1986
39 The Stand (miniseries) 1994
46 The Last Broadcast 1998
47 Repulsion 1965
51 Flatliners 1990
53 Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 1986
57 Basket Case 1982
64 Maximum Overdrive 1986
65 Dead Ringers 1988
66 Angel Heart 1987
67 Halloween III 1982
68 Pin 1988
69 Jeepers Creepers 2001
71 The Ruins 2008
72 1408 2007
74 Something Wicked This Way Comes 1983
75 Quarantine 2008
I seriously considered listing Halloween 3. I finally opted against it, in part because I was trying to avoid sequels. I know it gets a lot of hate, but the concept is interesting, the film certainly has its moments, and it would be better-remembered (at least a little) if didn't have the Halloween name attached to it.

Annihilation
Candyman (2021)
Dead Silence
Skinamarink
Bad Taste
Mandy
Session 9
Open Water

Final Girls
Messiah of Evil
Doctor Sleep
Yes!
I keep forgetting about those 2 when doing lists, but do remember liking both.

Cube was another that came to mind but it's been a long time so I wasn't sure how much it belonged here

My list of movies that didn't make my 75:

Spider Baby
10 Cloverfield Lane
Mother’s Day
Smile
Hereditary
The Hills have Eyes (1977)
Killer Klowns

Annihilation
Candyman (2021)
Dead Silence
Skinamarink
Bad Taste
Mandy
Session 9
Open Water

Final Girls
Messiah of Evil
Doctor Sleep
Yes!

Cube was another that came to mind but it's been a long time so I wasn't sure how much it belonged here
Good movie and great kills. Sequels go on a serious downward slope with the last one done in someones garage for a bag of peanuts and some beer I guess.

Annihilation
Candyman (2021)
Dead Silence
Skinamarink
Bad Taste
Mandy
Session 9
Open Water

Final Girls
Messiah of Evil
Doctor Sleep
Yes!

Good movie and great kills. Sequels go on a serious downward slope with the last one done in someones garage for a bag of peanuts and some beer I guess.
I listed Cube way down toward the bottom of my list. I figure that's one that people have heard of before, so I didn't bother to call it out.

Annihilation
Candyman (2021)
Dead Silence
Skinamarink
Bad Taste
Mandy
Session 9
Open Water

Final Girls
Messiah of Evil
Doctor Sleep
Yes!

Too many series get bogged down with explaining crap that doesn't need explaining.

This trio was written on my list, and I haven't seen them mentioned.

Magic - Anthony Hopkins, Burgess Meredith, and Anne Margaret star in it. All were good, but especially Hopkins. My sister got rid of her Willie Talk after this movie.

When A Stranger Calls (1979) - I'm not sure if everyone considers this horror, but the first 20+ minutes of the movie is an awesome slow burn of fear. This movie stirred up a level of uneasiness in babysitters that saw it. I remember some friends and I calling friends babysitting on occasion and saying, "Have you checked the children?" I've never seen the remake of the movie.

Let's Scare Jessica To Death - This 70s groovy movie was weird and eerie. I'd like to revisit it, and see what I think of it now.

Here's the bottom of the barrel. These are all movies that got 1 point each, meaning they were on only one list, and were at the very bottom of those lists.

The Grey
Blood Red Sky
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Halloween H20
Level 16
Quarantine
Spider Baby
Terror Train
Under the Skin
CHUD
That was my one-pointer. I kept moving movies above or below it but could not leave it off my list altogether

This trio was written on my list, and I haven't seen them mentioned.

Magic - Anthony Hopkins, Burgess Meredith, and Anne Margaret star in it. All were good, but especially Hopkins. My sister got rid of her Willie Talk after this movie.

When A Stranger Calls (1979) - I'm not sure if everyone considers this horror, but the first 20+ minutes of the movie is an awesome slow burn of fear. This movie stirred up a level of uneasiness in babysitters that saw it. I remember some friends and I calling friends babysitting on occasion and saying, "Have you checked the children?" I've never seen the remake of the movie.
Great calls. That mannequin in Magic freaked me out as a kid.

As for When A Stranger Calls, we've probably discussed this in other threads. but for my money that opening has to rank among the scariest of all time. Every teenager's fear as a babysitter.

One can also argue horror or not, but I probably would have had John Carpenter's original Assault on Precinct 13 on there.

While not quality horror, I've always had a soft spot for the original Prom Night. At this point, Canada was pumping these horror movies out.

Another one of Jamie Lee Curtis's scream fest roles right after Halloween - came out right after The Fog and just before Terror Train.

Entertaining film plus a rare serious role from Leslie Nielsen as JLC's dad, and fresh off his Airplane stint.
The disco dancing scene of her at the Prom is one for the ages.

33 Manhunter 1986
47 Repulsion 1965
51 Flatliners 1990
57 Basket Case 1982
65 Dead Ringers 1988
66 Angel Heart 1987
67 Halloween III 1982
68 Pin 1988
69 Jeepers Creepers 2001
71 The Ruins 2008
72 1408 2007
75 Quarantine 2008
I seriously considered listing Halloween 3. I finally opted against it, in part because I was trying to avoid sequels. I know it gets a lot of hate, but the concept is interesting, the film certainly has its moments, and it would be better-remembered (at least a little) if didn't have the Halloween name attached to it.
I love Halloween III

The disco dancing scene of her at the Prom is one for the ages.
Hard to blame the killer for going berserk after watching it:

Here's the bottom of the barrel. These are all movies that got 1 point each, meaning they were on only one list, and were at the very bottom of those lists.

The Grey
Blood Red Sky
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Halloween H20
Level 16
Quarantine
Spider Baby
Terror Train
Under the Skin
CHUD
Other observations

The Grey - Entertaining movie that reminded me of The Edge. Part of the horror/not horror debate but worth a watch regardless.

Brotherhood of the Wolf - Great graphics for its time. I always remember the worm scene

H2O - Decent follow-up with what was supposed to be who's who of future stars. Plus Janet Leigh turned down a cameo in the Psycho remake to appear here.

Quarantine - The American version of [rec]. Soft spot for this franchise, as my friend was in the sequel.

33 Manhunter 1986
47 Repulsion 1965
51 Flatliners 1990
57 Basket Case 1982
65 Dead Ringers 1988
66 Angel Heart 1987
67 Halloween III 1982
68 Pin 1988
69 Jeepers Creepers 2001
71 The Ruins 2008
72 1408 2007
75 Quarantine 2008
I love Halloween III
I like it except for that earworm commercial music for Shamrock. :wall:

33 Manhunter 1986
47 Repulsion 1965
51 Flatliners 1990
57 Basket Case 1982
65 Dead Ringers 1988
66 Angel Heart 1987
67 Halloween III 1982
68 Pin 1988
69 Jeepers Creepers 2001
71 The Ruins 2008
72 1408 2007
75 Quarantine 2008
I love Halloween III
I still get the heebie jeebies from the giant snake slivering out of the dead kid's mouth.

33 Manhunter 1986
47 Repulsion 1965
51 Flatliners 1990
57 Basket Case 1982
65 Dead Ringers 1988
66 Angel Heart 1987
67 Halloween III 1982
68 Pin 1988
69 Jeepers Creepers 2001
71 The Ruins 2008
72 1408 2007
75 Quarantine 2008
I love Halloween III
I still get the heebie jeebies from the giant snake slivering out of the dead kid's mouth.
It’s quite terrifying.

33 Manhunter 1986
47 Repulsion 1965
51 Flatliners 1990
57 Basket Case 1982
65 Dead Ringers 1988
66 Angel Heart 1987
67 Halloween III 1982
68 Pin 1988
69 Jeepers Creepers 2001
71 The Ruins 2008
72 1408 2007
75 Quarantine 2008
I love Halloween III

That's like the best part.

Fun thread to follow along. Thanks to Scoresman for pulling together.

I mentioned started a list, but hit a bit of a wall and never got to 75. Most of what I had down in my pass were included here. Did have a few more of the older movies that did not make the cut. Maybe if I got my act together, some would have made the 200 (but probably not).
  • Frederic March’s Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
  • Murnau’s Faust
  • The Man Who Laughs (inspiration for the Joker — but one I was on fence on, as not really horror even though often classified as such)
  • Les Diaboliques
  • Haxan
  • Peeping Tom
  • Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (horror comedy, but I think more in the line of Shaun of the Dead than Young Frankenstein)

Fun thread to follow along. Thanks to Scoresman for pulling together.

I mentioned started a list, but hit a bit of a wall and never got to 75. Most of what I had down in my pass were included here. Did have a few more of the older movies that did not make the cut. Maybe if I got my act together, some would have made the 200 (but probably not).
  • Frederic March’s Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
  • Murnau’s Faust
  • The Man Who Laughs (inspiration for the Joker — but one I was on fence on, as not really horror even though often classified as such)
  • Les Diaboliques
  • Haxan
  • Peeping Tom
  • Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (horror comedy, but I think more in the line of Shaun of the Dead than Young Frankenstein)
Also one that barely missed my list, but will be on the sequel.

Users who are viewing this thread