What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

First Draft Guide I've Seen So Far (2006) (1 Viewer)

Bob Magaw

Footballguy
i think this is their first draft only magazine (they do some good ones with team reports i like also, as well as sporting news)... didn't have a chance to really look at it (bought it at lunch, today)... i was happy to see they have my boy ernie simms going to rams in mock... the only place i have seen that so far... which could be reflection of the fact that simms is rocketing up some boards, & hopefully this info isn't too dated... i wonder when this went to press... doesn't seem like it could have reflected combine yet, where he TORE... IT... UP... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i think this is their first draft only magazine (they do some good ones with team reports i like also, as well as sporting news)... didn't have a chance to really look at it (bought it at lunch, today)... i was happy to see they have my boy ernie simms going to rams in mock... the only place i have seen that so far... which could be reflection of the fact that simms is rocketing up some boards, & hopefully this info isn't too dated... i wonder when this went to press... doesn't seem like it could have reflected combine yet, where he TORE... IT... UP... :)
Sims will be the #2 rookie LB in the post-combine rookie 100. Maybe I just have a soft spot for guys who like snakes and other freaky animals - I used to have a ball python myself.

Bumping for more discussion with 2 more draft magazines out.

PFW was out first and I just bought Sporting News and ESPN mags yesterday. Besides the obvious (info is outdated, draft "books" like Coyle and Kiper are better, etc) what do people like/dislike about them?

My thoughts:

PFW is pretty solid, Sporting News is a disappointment for the second year in a row and as much as I don't like ESPN (their fantasy mag was horrible, IMHO), their draft guide is actually pretty decent.

Anyone else have these?

I read this a two weeks ago and enjoyed it. At the time, I saw Sims going to the Rams (ahead of the Vikings) and was quite suprised, at the time I was very high on Sims. My feelings for Sims have defnitely waned since then.He has had noted concussion problems in college and I don't think that bods well for a player playing a high-impact position like linebacker. I think Sims will slip to the 2nd round.

Love your insight on everything I read on this site . Can you tell me why all the top rated LBers are OLB? How many of the top guys are projected at WLB versus SLB. That woudl seem to have the graetest impact on their fantasy value. Also, do you feel there are any MLBers rated high ebough to have impact in HFL from day 1 or at least close?Thanks

I brought PFW and the ESPN mag this weekend and am working my way through them; I also read The Sporting News one while in Barnes and Noble. It seems some of the rankings in PFW and ESPN are different for some key players like Jospeph Addai, Marcedes Lewis and a few others; it will be interesting to see after the draft which guide is most correct. Of the two I bought I think the ESPN on is better because of the use of scouts inc. data and rankings.

When will football guys ever get their crap together and get something out for next year. I have a dynasty draft right around the corner! I want the best guide out there! haha

Is PFW's Draft preview and the PFW magazine the same thing?
I'm not sure. As I understand it, they have 3 publications this year:1) Pre-season Prospect Guide - book form from pre-season. Don't see it anywhere anymore.

2) Draft Magazine - Out now

3) Draft Guide - Book form, out in mid April

bloom... i must of missed your post earlier (a rarity)... maybe a LB thing... chad brown supposedly had python... he was even compared to a snake himself because of how he moved... his snake-like ability to get around blocks, make himself small coming around the edge... i didn't realize how impressive mills pedigree & bloodlines were until i read his bio... former #1 OVERALL prospect in the country by some scouts... his mother was an all-american sprinter...

thanx for heads up on espn, construxboy... i was looking for it as of mid last week & it wasn't out yet... i'll be getting that (a first time dedicated draft magazine) & i always get sporting news...

blueonion... i saw that about sims... it is alarming since they used the term concussionS as in plural... it would be nice to know if that number is two? 17? polamalu was a guy that some teams may have dropped on their board due to concussion history... but that hasn't resurfaced (YET)... sims is at least as good a prospect in terms of probable draft grade... but bryan scott is example of player that didn't seem to play as aggressively since a 2004 concussion... i definitely would like more info... this was one of few questions i asked frank coyle directly when i ordered draft guide from him... he didn't seem overly concerned, but i'm not sure if he knows how many concussions he has had... i won't drop him if he has had like two... any more & i might have to rethink my position... i heard that he was held out of practice because he was such a relentless hitter he would hurt teammates... an ulterior motive by florida state staff may have been to protect him from himself... yahoo's charles robinson just posted this about FSU pro day... "Sims shined in drills designed to test his ability in pass coverage, and he ran another 4.50 40-yard dash, despite weighing in three pounds heavier (234) than at the combine. He could go as high as the middle of the first round."

phillystars... thanx philly... being on top of rookies is something i did naturally as it fed so strongly into watching the dynasty IDP landscape... i learn a lot myself from the murderer's row of mock draft resources FBG & shark pool has now... people like jason, colin, bloom, evil grin, etc... to answer your question, it is probably a cyclical thing... as recently as andra davis' class (2002), there was some talk of MLB/ILB being devalued in drafts... he was the consensus best MLB/ILB in that draft & dropped to fifth round... maybe with a lot of college offenses going to more of a pro style attack, the classic run stuffers went out of vogue... but the position has evolved... nick barnett (first overall LB in his class) was an OLB in college & was converted to MLB... vilma was first LB (1.12) in 2004... arguably the top impact LBs in last years class were second round MLBs lofa tatupu & odell thurman (might have gone higher but he had some personal red flags)... they along with guys like mike peterson (converted from IND WLB to JAX MLB) & antonio pierce do have agility & athleticism to cover & make plays on the ball... but are stout enough to hold up at POA... so i think now it is just variance from class to class (if WLBs or MLBs seem to be getting higher grades, it may not signify a trend necessarily, & each class needs to be viewd on a case by case basis, imo) ... mayock has consensus best MLB/ILB d'qwell jackson #4 OVERALL (after hawk, sims & greenway)... i like him at #3 ahead of greenway (though i doubt if he is drafted ahead of him)... remember, most of the rankings we are discussing if it comes from outside source, usually refer to real football, which may well be different from IDP impact... since hawk was saying all the teams interviewing him would put him in middle, he could be included as a MLB (almost all guides will list him as OLB, & that is where he played at ohio state)... abdul hodge is #1 MLB by some scouts... i think he may be a little stiffer than jackson, but he could emerge as starter & impact player... you are right, often in IDP MLB preferred... but there is point where it is better to have stud WLB (bullock or brooks) over marginal MLB like earl holmes... i'm not SURE hodge is a big difference maker, but i've heard some good things (almost 20 tackles in bowl game?) & want to see some film on him... sims has a chance to be special... he has been compared to brooks... as much because of his luminous, incandescent talent as to his similar size & physical traits, & due to fact they are prominent FSU alumni...

perry... i signed up for scouts inc for first time about a month ago based in large part on jason's strong endorsement earlier... it is good stuff... definitely top notch, & might be in top 2 of scouting profiles i have seen... i'll definitely use them again in future... can't wait to check out scouting guide draft magazine by espn... i'll get it today if my local newsstand has it already... :)

When will football guys ever get their crap together and get something out for next year. I have a dynasty draft right around the corner! I want the best guide out there! haha
When their subscribers rate offseason dynasty coverage as something other than the least important feature of the site.Is Coyle's stuff out yet? I haven't gotten mine yet, but don't know if anyone has.

When their subscribers rate offseason dynasty coverage as something other than the least important feature of the site.Is Coyle's stuff out yet? I haven't gotten mine yet, but don't know if anyone has.
Haven't gotten mine either. I think it said late March.

When will football guys ever get their crap together and get something out for next year.  I have a dynasty draft right around the corner!  I want the best guide out there!  haha
When their subscribers rate offseason dynasty coverage as something other than the least important feature of the site.
There appears to be more FBG dynasty content forthcoming in the near future. There was a big staff pow wow this past weekend and this was on the agenda. I was not there, so I don't even know if I'm supposed to bring this up or not. They were soliciting staff for dynasty rankings and were in the process of having live update capabilities (like the redraft rankings last year), so I know that they are working on it. Patience, grasshopper.

That's great news, Yudkin.

Some unsolicited input: rank within positions, not overall. There are enough differences in dynasty approaches within a position, adding in the differences in league formats and personal positional preference makes overall dynasty rankings worthless IMO.

Some unsolicited input: rank within positions, not overall. There are enough differences in dynasty approaches within a position, adding in the differences in league formats and personal positional preference makes overall dynasty rankings worthless IMO.
As far as I know, I believe it will be like the "regular" site rankings, so I would be shocked if it were anything other than positional ranks and a Top _____ (insert number here) of combined players from all positions.Again, I don't ultimately know what exactly was decided, although there is already a system developed for us to input and edit our rankings directly.

make sure it's done for IDP as well.
To be clear, I have *NO* clout as to what gets "yeahs" or "nays" as far as the decision-making process. (Bottom line, "I just work here.")The powers that be have a decent sense of what to consider and how cost effective it is to do things, so I defer to them as to what to do.

As far as I know, I believe it will be like the "regular" site rankings, so I would be shocked if it were anything other than positional ranks and a Top _____ (insert number here) of combined players from all positions.Again, I don't ultimately know what exactly was decided, although there is already a system developed for us to input and edit our rankings directly.
More dynasty info is coming. I don't want to speak out of turn, but yes be patient. We are working on it.

Some unsolicited input: rank within positions, not overall.  There are enough differences in dynasty approaches within a position, adding in the differences in league formats and personal positional preference makes overall dynasty rankings worthless IMO.
More dynasty info is coming. I don't want to speak out of turn, but yes be patient. We are working on it.
Thanks for the info!I have been reading here alot recently - and posting a bit... I would say that the [DYNASTY] coverage here is one of the best - the info given / the polls amongst the readers to rank players is very helpful... even if it's just to know if you are the only one "kool-aided" on an obscure prospect from a mid-major school or if there are other guys (that know alot more than me) that have the same opinion...

Very helpful... keep up the good work guyz!

I'm not sure. As I understand it, they have 3 publications this year:1) Pre-season Prospect Guide - book form from pre-season. Don't see it anywhere anymore.

Just received PFW Draft Preview in the mail today.

Cool, gotta start looking at the bookstore. Still waiting for my Coyle and Kiper.

Cool, gotta start looking at the bookstore. Still waiting for my Coyle and Kiper.
Kiper was on Mike and Mike yesterday or Wed - it comes out mid-April.

Ahh...thanks Jeff.

BTW - The Street and Smith mag is out. It really isn't that great and certainly isn't better than the PFW or ESPN mag. They have a 7 round mock draft that looks a little old (C Jackson is the 5th WR off the board in the mid-2nd). But it does include the prospect's major in college, which I find interesting to look at.

I really wish the draft guides would stop doing mocks. I think it's polluting their projections for players... I think they're projecting players, assigning values to them, then mocking, then going back and altering the player ratings to match their mock. That's bad IMO - if a guy has a 2nd-round talent grade but he falls in the first round in your mock, show some sack and leave him as a 2nd-round talent instead of trying to make your grades match the draft.

I really wish the draft guides would stop doing mocks. I think it's polluting their projections for players... I think they're projecting players, assigning values to them, then mocking, then going back and altering the player ratings to match their mock. That's bad IMO - if a guy has a 2nd-round talent grade but he falls in the first round in your mock, show some sack and leave him as a 2nd-round talent instead of trying to make your grades match the draft.
:goodposting: Excellent point... evaluate the players like the NFL people do... i.e. giving them a "round rank"... and keep it that way...

Who cares about a mock that you do in january (in order to have it printed out in march) when you have the Saints grabbing Leinart (oooops, Brees is there)... the Cards grabbing D.Williams (oooops, has Edge filled that void?)...

Why changing the rank of your players by position just because you have mocked them in a certain way?... losing all credibility for your rankings in the first place...

Great point Tick. I've really begun to notice the difference between people/publications who are more concerned with where a player will be drafted and not what their talent level will be in the NFL. I used to love to do mock drafts and read all the whispers about who liked who. But now that I'm in a dynasty league, I realize that I'm much more concerned with how these guys will perform in the NFL. I care a lot less about where they're drafted until after the draft itself.

I read this a two weeks ago and enjoyed it. At the time, I saw Sims going to the Rams (ahead of the Vikings) and was quite suprised, at the time I was very high on Sims. My feelings for Sims have defnitely waned since then.He has had noted concussion problems in college and I don't think that bods well for a player playing a high-impact position like linebacker. I think Sims will slip to the 2nd round.
Several mocks have going to the Vikings at 17 which is also suprising since he may have character issues. http://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/20...ects/simse.html

got street & smith at newsstand... almost put it back after quick once over, but after looking a little more closely, it had some nice detail on prep/collegiate resume...

this is fourth mag i have seen (PFW, SN & ESPN)... the floodgates should be opening soon. :)

also got PFW draft BOOK in mail yesterday... can't wait for coyle... my favorite...

if you don't mind, tick...

how does coyle rank the top 5 DEs/DTs?

thanx,

bob

if you don't mind, tick...

how does coyle rank the top 5 DEs/DTs?

thanx,

bob
DE: Williams 94, Kiwi 91, Wimbley 90, Hale 89, Lawson 88DT: Ngata 93, Bunkley 90, Watson 88, Wright 85, Oshinowo 85

thanx, tick... :)

we have a dynasty rookie report going out via e-mail... look for it soon... not sure who is doing what on offense, but cecil, bloom & myself handled IDP coverage...

the usa today sports weekly draft special ($4.95) came out last week... i meant to tell you guys... its a center fold paper that is magazine quality... out so far...

PFW

SN

ESPN

steet & smith

USA Today

coyle

4th & goal films draft DVD

anybody get kiper yet?

the usa today sports weekly draft special ($4.95) came out last week... i meant to tell you guys... its a center fold paper that is magazine quality... out so far...

PFW

SN

ESPN

steet & smith

USA Today

coyle

4th & goal films draft DVD

anybody get kiper yet?
No, still waiting on Kiper. And PFW has the magazine and the book this year. And the rankings are different in some places.

Forget to add that Matt Waldman has a fantastic Adobe guide for purchase at FFToday where he breaks down game film of almost all the big names at QB, RB, WR and TE. Really nice stuff.

I should add that it is a scouting guide, not a draft guide in terms of predicting who gets picked by which team.

Users who are viewing this thread