What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Five Guys thread, a 130+ page swordfight. (1 Viewer)

Don't agree with the whole list but would agree Arby's has the best fries of the fast food chains.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/justinabarca/the-definitive-ranking-of-fast-food-french-fries
Arby's seasoned curly fries are awesome.

Chik-Fil-A fries are ok. I usually skip them though.
Arby's has awesome curly fries. Too bad the rest of the menu is questionable to say the least.
horsey sauce
Arby's Sauce is still perhaps my fav fast food condiment.

And while it's of questionable origin (as if that's ever stopped me before), I do love their Roast Beef.

We had the same curly fries at college, and for a year, it was the most awesome thing ever. After four years of those fries I took (literally) a 15 year break from them. Just now getting back in the groove.

It's somewhat sad that there is no real competitor for a hot Roast Beef sandwich. Roy Rogers used to have one but it got sketchy as the chain faltered, and Hardees had one, but it was years ago, long before they become Carl's Jr.
Lion's Choice is the place for roast beef. It's actual seasoned roasted beef, not that really processed stuff "beef product" Arby's has. Fantastic stuff.
Looks really good. Only in St L, eh?
Shoot, looks that way. I thought they had branched out to other States.

Don't agree with the whole list but would agree Arby's has the best fries of the fast food chains.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/justinabarca/the-definitive-ranking-of-fast-food-french-fries

Arby's has awesome curly fries. Too bad the rest of the menu is questionable to say the least.
horsey sauce

And while it's of questionable origin (as if that's ever stopped me before), I do love their Roast Beef.

We had the same curly fries at college, and for a year, it was the most awesome thing ever. After four years of those fries I took (literally) a 15 year break from them. Just now getting back in the groove.

It's somewhat sad that there is no real competitor for a hot Roast Beef sandwich. Roy Rogers used to have one but it got sketchy as the chain faltered, and Hardees had one, but it was years ago, long before they become Carl's Jr.
Lion's Choice is the place for roast beef. It's actual seasoned roasted beef, not that really processed stuff "beef product" Arby's has. Fantastic stuff.
Yeah. Thanks, Bob. There's a place that serves the best Basque in the world that everybody should go to.

Oh, no. Looks like there's only one location here in BFE.

I've never eaten food from In & Out.
Neither have I.
You're not missing out on anything really.
Ultimately it is hard to argue against that point. Then again you could say the same thing about any of the places that have been mentioned in this thread.
Wrong.

If you have spent a decent amount of time in the LA area and have not tried The Hat, you are absolutely missing out (small chain, like half a dozen LA area locations).
Born and raised in LA and I'm feeling pretty good about not having been to The Hat. I am sure it is fine but 1) There are a ton of other options that are just as good 2) I could try to sell you the same line about places like Pink's, or Tito's Tacos or Father's Office or Oki Dog or Roscoe's or any number of other places but I am sure you are doing okay if you haven't been to them and 3) The Hat advertises themselves as having World Famous Pastrami. Seriously? They are gonna run that noise in the same town as Langer's? Come on now, are they world famous for not being as good as Langer's? Because that I would buy, otherwise The Hat can GTFO.
Do what you wish, but honestly, IMO you are missing out.

Pinks is ok, overrated imo. It's more of a thing to do than a great meal. Roscoe's is really really good, but I've had really, really good C&W many other places. The scene certainly is part of the appeal. Taco's have so many really good options, depending upon your specific taste and preference.

Langer's is a pretty damn good pastrami, and the best deli, by far, in the LA area - at least from this native NYers opinion. But it's far more of a "traditional" thicker cut salami (ala Katz') than a Pastrami Dip.

THAT's where the Hat becomes so awesome. The pastrami dip is just unlike anything I've ever had. Period. It's freakin' awesome and a taste profile that is unmatched. Not saying the meat quality is of a Langers, but the experience is even better - unless you want a more traditional sandwich.

In addition, fantastic chili fries and the whole (large) menu. But the Pastrami Dip is something out of this world... at least give it a try because it's not approximated anywhere else I've been. For a NY'er to have an LA place carry best pastrami I've ever had is not an easy thi

I've never eaten food from In & Out.
Neither have I.
You're not missing out on anything really.
Ultimately it is hard to argue against that point. Then again you could say the same thing about any of the places that have been mentioned in this thread.
Wrong.

If you have spent a decent amount of time in the LA area and have not tried The Hat, you are absolutely missing out (small chain, like half a dozen LA area locations).
Born and raised in LA and I'm feeling pretty good about not having been to The Hat. I am sure it is fine but 1) There are a ton of other options that are just as good 2) I could try to sell you the same line about places like Pink's, or Tito's Tacos or Father's Office or Oki Dog or Roscoe's or any number of other places but I am sure you are doing okay if you haven't been to them and 3) The Hat advertises themselves as having World Famous Pastrami. Seriously? They are gonna run that noise in the same town as Langer's? Come on now, are they world famous for not being as good as Langer's? Because that I would buy, otherwise The Hat can GTFO.
Do what you wish, but honestly, IMO you are missing out.

Pinks is ok, overrated imo. It's more of a thing to do than a great meal. Roscoe's is really really good, but I've had really, really good C&W many other places. The scene certainly is part of the appeal. Taco's have so many really good options, depending upon your specific taste and preference.

Langer's is a pretty damn good pastrami, and the best deli, by far, in the LA area - at least from this native NYers opinion. But it's far more of a "traditional" thicker cut salami (ala Katz') than a Pastrami Dip.

THAT's where the Hat becomes so awesome. The pastrami dip is just unlike anything I've ever had. Period. It's freakin' awesome and a taste profile that is unmatched. Not saying the meat quality is of a Langers, but the experience is even better - unless you want a more traditional sandwich.

In addition, fantastic chili fries and the whole (large) menu. But the Pastrami Dip is something out of this world... at least give it a try because it's not approximated anywhere else I've been. For a NY'er to have an LA place carry best pastrami I've ever had is not an easy thing to admit, but it's by far, true.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know we are all about FF in here but I had some really good grits at a place in San Clemente called Iva Lee's. It's remarkable because 1) It is a rare thing to find good grits in California and 2) Well prepared grits are a thing of sublime beauty.

Sorry had to get that off my chest like a post Arby's dump.

horsey sauce

What? It's only a short 26 hour drive from my place. Dinner tomorrow? It's on me.

I don't believe their commercials about their brisket. I bet it is smoked horse meat congealed together to make "brisket"

horsey sauce
great band name

Just walked by the local Five Guys. Completely empty at 6:30pm. Not a soul in the place. People behind the counter just stared at me walking by. About 40 people in the Chipotle right next door.

Is this a good time to bring up how bad California Pizza Kitchen sucks?
Yeah, it's horrible. There was a time it wasn't as bad as it is now but that was long ago. It kind of went the Baja Fresh route to crapville. Baja Fresh used to be awesome when there were only 5 of them. Inedible now.

Just walked by the local Five Guys. Completely empty at 6:30pm. Not a soul in the place. People behind the counter just stared at me walking by. About 40 people in the Chipotle right next door.
Stop by In N Out and check out how many uneaten fries are in the garbage.

I guarantee there are more fries in the trash at 5G with all the excess they give you. What a joke that place is.
I share my extras with blind kids.

I know we are all about FF in here but I had some really good grits at a place in San Clemente called Iva Lee's. It's remarkable because 1) It is a rare thing to find good grits in California and 2) Well prepared grits are a thing of sublime beauty.

:blackdot:

Would appreciate recommendations on any good grits in San Diego. As a native of NC, I like them, but they are one of my wife's favorite foods.

I guarantee there are more fries in the trash at 5G with all the excess they give you. What a joke that place is.
great. fat blind kids.

great. fat blind kids.
Christo's target market

Arby's seasoned curly fries are awesome.Chik-Fil-A fries are ok. I usually skip them though.
horsey sauce

Yeah. Thanks, Bob. There's a place that serves the best Basque in the world that everybody should go to.

Just saw their fries are salt free. I'm out.

I ate a salad with grilled chicken & fat free balsamic as my main meal today... Had some fruit and other veggies along the way.

Then I read this thread and I want to plow through cheeseburgers, fries, burritos, & pizza :kicksrock:

Arby's seasoned curly fries are awesome.Chik-Fil-A fries are ok. I usually skip them though.
horsey sauce

Just saw their fries are salt free. I'm out.
Salt free? What are they, Communists?

Same thing I've seen for a while. Went back to the place in Florida where I used to live and it had closed over a year ago. That was the first place I ate at 5gs

Would appreciate recommendations on any good grits in San Diego. As a native of NC, I like them, but they are one of my wife's favorite foods.
When you find some, let me know.

I ate a salad with grilled chicken & fat free balsamic as my main meal today... Had some fruit and other veggies along the way.

Then I read this thread and I want to plow through cheeseburgers, fries, burritos, & pizza :kicksrock:
Crushed a double double animal style, with fries and a pink lemonade for lunch today. The endorphin rush was similar to my first Phish Tweezer in Vegas on shrooms.

Crushed a double double animal style, with fries and a pink lemonade for lunch today. The endorphin rush was similar to my first Phish Tweezer in Vegas on shrooms.
How were those fries? Any good?

How were those fries? Any good?
Most likely not

Dried horse meat (just a bit) as well as a bite of smoked reindeer and bear pate for me today.

All better than 5 guys

(I'm in Helsinki)

Go for the grits, stay for the biscuits and gravy, go back for the chicken and waffles.

It's my fattest friend in SD's favorite place.

There is a place in Solana Beach called Crush that occasionally has a wonderful creamy polenta on the menu but I am not sure where in SD you would go for grits.

San Clemente isn't that far north and Iva Lee's is a really good date place for you and the wife.

Mind you these weren't the 'best grits ever' or anything but they were really good, and probably better because they are hard to find out here.

Go for the grits, stay for the biscuits and gravy, go back for the chicken and waffles.

It's my fattest friend in SD's favorite place.
Cool. I'm willing to try anyplace at least once.

ScottNorwood said:
Brady Marino said:
I ate at a Five Guys tonight. Does that make me a bad person or something?
Did you eat fries out of the garbage?
No, but I don't get their business model when it comes to fries. "Let's encourage people to buy smaller fries because we dump a bunch on the bottom of their bag!"

Still, they do make one tasty burger, service was quick (not incredibly busy), and they're right around the corner from where I live. So I'm eating there. :shrug:

ScottNorwood said:
Brady Marino said:
No, but I don't get their business model when it comes to fries. "Let's encourage people to buy smaller fries because we dump a bunch on the bottom of their bag!"Still, they do make one tasty burger, service was quick (not incredibly busy), and they're right around the corner from where I live. So I'm eating there. :shrug:
It's a pretty brilliant business model, I think.

First, it takes people a while to figure out they only need one order for 2-3 people, so they still get a ton of those extra orders.

More importantly, the fry thing makes people forget the sticker shock from the cashier station. They go from, "wait, I just paid $11 for a fast food burger, fries, and a drink" to "wow, they filled up the bag with fries...what a great deal!"

I think they've played a good trick with the burger too. It's small, wimpy 4" bun that they don't even bother grilling or toasting. Corresponding patties are also small for what's considered a high-end FF burger. But you get all those toppings. Of course, you load it up, giving the otherwise smallish burger a tower effect.

This sandwich has gone viral around here. Both local Jacks cannot keep the correct box in stock, so they put the sandwich in the wrong box and assure customers the right sandwich is inside. Blazin' Chicken with Ghost Pepper sauce at jack in the box if you don't want to click the link.

ScottNorwood said:
Brady Marino said:
No, but I don't get their business model when it comes to fries. "Let's encourage people to buy smaller fries because we dump a bunch on the bottom of their bag!"

Still, they do make one tasty burger, service was quick (not incredibly busy), and they're right around the corner from where I live. So I'm eating there. :shrug:
Same concept as when you go to the supermarket and see a package that says "50% more free!" The thing is it's not free, you're paying for it and they were selling you that amount at that price all along. They just changed the packaging to make it look like you're getting a deal. Everyone loves a deal.

First, it takes people a while to figure out they only need one order for 2-3 people, so they still get a ton of those extra orders.
Customers mistakenly paying more than they needed to is not sustainable revenue for a business. It produces higher revenue in the beginning stages of the business location, but eventually that revenue needs to be replaced in later stages or else the business collapses.

Take the self serve frozen yogurt stores for example. When they open up, people go in and fill up that HUGE cup with yogurt and toppings and then gasp when they have to pay $8 to $10 bucks for it. When all your customers are new, a lot of them do that, and it produces a TON of revenue for them in the first year. Yet now a good chunk of the stores in the industry are closing or are for sale because customers don't continue doing that. The customers now make $2, $3, and $4 cups instead, and the business as a result only has a fraction of the revenue and can't pay the rent and utilities anymore.

I don't think that is a brilliant business model at all. It's a temporary boost of revenue, and nothing more. I think a lot of Five Guys franchisees are going to be following the self serve frozen yogurt store business owners in the for sale/closings.

Customers mistakenly paying more than they needed to is not sustainable revenue for a business. It produces higher revenue in the beginning stages of the business location, but eventually that revenue needs to be replaced in later stages or else the business collapses.

Take the self serve frozen yogurt stores for example. When they open up, people go in and fill up that HUGE cup with yogurt and toppings and then gasp when they have to pay $8 to $10 bucks for it. When all your customers are new, a lot of them do that, and it produces a TON of revenue for them in the first year. Yet now a good chunk of the stores in the industry are closing or are for sale because customers don't continue doing that. The customers now make $2, $3, and $4 cups instead, and the business as a result only has a fraction of the revenue and can't pay the rent and utilities anymore.

I don't think that is a brilliant business model at all. It's a temporary boost of revenue, and nothing more. I think a lot of Five Guys franchisees are going to be following the self serve frozen yogurt store business owners in the for sale/closings.
I agree to with some of those points.

The part you are leaving out with 5G though, is that they are running with a ticket price of nearly $10/person if you come in alone. The best way to bring that down.....bring a bunch of people with you! Even then, they are going to get $8 out of you, which is not bad at all for a place only selling burgers, dogs, and fries.

Ticket price will never be a problem for 5G. If you want a soda (as so many idiots do), you pay $7 (before tax) just to walk in the door. That's if you don't plan on eating a single french fry.

The fry thing either adds value to support a very healthy average customer ticket or just encourages you to bring others with you. Win-win.

5G has a fantastic business model and it's not going anywhere.

I agree to with some of those points.

The part you are leaving out with 5G though, is that they are running with a ticket price of nearly $10/person if you come in alone. The best way to bring that down.....bring a bunch of people with you! Even then, they are going to $8 out of you, which is not bad at all for a place only selling burgers, dogs, and fries.

The fry thing either adds value to support a very healthy average customer ticket or just encourages you to not bring others with you. Win-win.
You are leaving out the other way to avoid the high cost... go somewhere else.

When people prefer an In-n-out burger 18 to 1 over a five guys burger, there's no need to figure out a way to subsidize the costs of the "free" fries and "free" peanuts they are passing on to you in the price of the burger.

Users who are viewing this thread