What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Football & Music Roadtrip (1 Viewer)

Atomic Punk

Footballguy
Mrs. Punk and I are planning our next sports and music road trip and looking for any advice from the local FBGs. Itinerary is as follows:

Sept. 13 - drive to Minneapolis
Sept. 14 - Valleyfair
Sept. 15 - Viking vs Niners game
Sept. 16 - drive to Chicago
Sept. 17 - Cubs game
Sept. 18 - no plans
Sept. 19 - drive to Louisville and Bourbon and Beyond
Sept. 20 - Bourbon and Beyond
Sept. 21 - drive to Indianapolis for Colts vs Bears game
Sept. 22 - drive to Cincinnati for Bengals vs Commanders game
Sept 23/24 - drive back to Winnipeg

Tickets for Bourbon and Beyond and airport Holiday Inn in Louisville are booked. Everything else is wide open. We are looking for advice on general location of hotels or Air BNB in any of the other locations, as well as restaurants, sports bars for after the afternoon games, and other can’t miss things to do … especially in Chicago as we will have three nights there. Would like to go to at least 1-2 higher end restaurants on the trip and the rest can be brew pubs or other local faves.

This crowd has been awesome for the last few trips we have taken through the US (Philly/Was, Cle/Pitt, SF/Oak, Ten/NO), so we are open to the wisdom of the FBG crowd once again!

You can stay downtown Minneapolis and walk to and from the game. That way you don't have to mess with traffic and can park in a garage for the hotel. You may be able to catch a Twins game (also close to downtown) as they play at home on the Sep 9-15

I hadn’t checked the Twins schedule, so thanks!

We may take the scenic route through Iowa up to Canada, since we’ve never been there before. Any tips for hiking or restaurants there would be great too.

Also shameless bump for any Chicago tips …

September weather is usually good in Chicago. For 3 nights, that's a coin toss on AirBnB vs. Hotel. If it was me, I'd probably do hotel in River North near a Red Line stop. You can ride Red Line up to Wrigley area. You won't need your car once you park once.

Not exactly insider info, but I usually recommend architectural boat tour on Chicago river. A show at Second City with dinner in Old Town is a can't go wrong night. Run, jog, or rent bikes and hit the Chicago lakefront. Kingston Mines is a good night time stop since you are on a music tour.

September weather is usually good in Chicago. For 3 nights, that's a coin toss on AirBnB vs. Hotel. If it was me, I'd probably do hotel in River North near a Red Line stop. You can ride Red Line up to Wrigley area. You won't need your car once you park once.

Not exactly insider info, but I usually recommend architectural boat tour on Chicago river. A show at Second City with dinner in Old Town is a can't go wrong night. Run, jog, or rent bikes and hit the Chicago lakefront. Kingston Mines is a good night time stop since you are on a music tour.
I agree about the boat tour and the lakefront. We also did tours of Wrigley Field and Soldier Field. We got to see the Field, private boxes, dressing rooms, etc.
We enjoyed the Navy Pier too.

We may take the scenic route through Iowa up to Canada, since we’ve never been there before. Any tips for hiking or restaurants there would be great too.

If you are taking the scenic route through Iowa I would suggest stopping in Dyersville to see the Field of Dreams.

What part of Iowa going through? Not a lot for hiking, but if you want a great steak, Archies Wayside in NW Iowa (Le Mars, Ice Cream capital of the world). Very 70s feel, never been remodeled but he ages his own steak and cuts it right at the restaurant. They won the American Classic Award from the James Beard Foundation in 2015.

Archies Tradition

Sept 13 - drive to Madison, WI
Sept 14 - Alabama at Wisconsin
(11am kickoff so lots of options among Madison, Milwaukee, Green Bay for your Saturday night)
Sept 15 - Colts at Packers

Other than seeing two Colts games, this seems way better than going to MN.

What part of Iowa going through? Not a lot for hiking, but if you want a great steak, Archies Wayside in NW Iowa (Le Mars, Ice Cream capital of the world). Very 70s feel, never been remodeled but he ages his own steak and cuts it right at the restaurant. They won the American Classic Award from the James Beard Foundation in 2015.

Archies Tradition
Not sure about Iowa yet, but was looking to take a different route home to Winnipeg. Was thinking either through Dubuque or Cedar Rapids but Le Mars works, as it looks like a straight shot north from there home. I’ll put it on the possible list, thanks!

If you hit Dubuque, Hwy 20 will take you straight across the state to I29. Le Mars is a Bit off the path from I29 but not by much. I29 will take you through SD and ND to Emerson and it looks like it is straight north from there.

Sioux Falls is a decent sized small city (100,000 plus) that has some nice areas to explore outside.

For Cincy game, you'll find enough pre and post game fun at "The Banks", which is a street of bars between Reds and Bengals stadiums. There is an AC hotel down there but I assume it will be costly that night.

I’ve found some AirBNBs in Minneapolis, Chicago, Indy and Cincy. All have great reviews and seem to be in good locations.

Turning my attention to food, pubs, brew houses and local music scenes next. Looks like Vampire Weekend is playing in Indy the night we are there, so that is a real possibility. George Clinton is playing just outside Minneapolis on day 1 of the trip, which would be a great start!

I’ve found some AirBNBs in Minneapolis, Chicago, Indy and Cincy. All have great reviews and seem to be in good locations.

Turning my attention to food, pubs, brew houses and local music scenes next. Looks like Vampire Weekend is playing in Indy the night we are there, so that is a real possibility. George Clinton is playing just outside Minneapolis on day 1 of the trip, which would be a great start!

Sorry, I read this a few days ago and wanted to respond, but being busy with work and MOVING TWO STUPID HOUSEHOLDS AND SIX CATS ACROSS THE COUNTRY is making me insane. Anyway, we're moving back to Chicago (see, supra, insane move) and I'd be happy to help you with recommendations. In terms of places to stay, I had a suggestion I was going to make but it sounds like you might be set. Wanna send me the addresses/locations of the Chicago AirBNBs (or post them here)? I can let you know what looks good, as well as things to do in the immediate area.

Skip Valleyfair, much better things to do than that mediocre amusement park.

Goose is playing in Minneapolis on the 14th. I'll be there and will buy you and the Mrs several beers if you choose to attend :) Or Phosphorescent, another good band playing that same night. Definitely recommend catching a show on that night though.

But seriously unless you are huge amusement park nerds (which is totally cool if so) I would find other things to do in the twin cities besides that place.

Sorry, I read this a few days ago and wanted to respond, but being busy with work and MOVING TWO STUPID HOUSEHOLDS AND SIX CATS ACROSS THE COUNTRY is making me insane. Anyway, we're moving back to Chicago (see, supra, insane move) and I'd be happy to help you with recommendations. In terms of places to stay, I had a suggestion I was going to make but it sounds like you might be set. Wanna send me the addresses/locations of the Chicago AirBNBs (or post them here)? I can let you know what looks good, as well as things to do in the immediate area.
Can’t say I envy you with that move … not to mention the insane number of cats! All of the AirBNBs we booked have cancellation clauses, so we have outs if necessary. The one in Chicago is on North Clark St, which looks to be just around the corner from Lou Malnatti Pizzeria near the Navy Pier. The Mrs. and I walk everywhere and prefer to be in areas that make us see local neighborhoods on our way to the occasional touristy things to do … all tips are welcome. Thanks @krista4!

Skip Valleyfair, much better things to do than that mediocre amusement park.

Goose is playing in Minneapolis on the 14th. I'll be there and will buy you and the Mrs several beers if you choose to attend :) Or Phosphorescent, another good band playing that same night. Definitely recommend catching a show on that night though.

But seriously unless you are huge amusement park nerds (which is totally cool if so) I would find other things to do in the twin cities besides that place.
Valleyfair is on the itinerary right now because we may be going with friends from Winnipeg on the first leg of the trip and they wanted to do that. We like amusement parks but it isn’t a must do if they end up bailing. If we change our plans, I’ll definitely take you up on that offer @the moops

Can’t say I envy you with that move … not to mention the insane number of cats! All of the AirBNBs we booked have cancellation clauses, so we have outs if necessary. The one in Chicago is on North Clark St, which looks to be just around the corner from Lou Malnatti Pizzeria near the Navy Pier. The Mrs. and I walk everywhere and prefer to be in areas that make us see local neighborhoods on our way to the occasional touristy things to do … all tips are welcome. Thanks @krista4!

You would be in tourist central there. Great for many people who just want to be tourists, but if you're interested in seeing local neighborhoods, that ain't it. At all. That's certainly where a lot of people visiting Chicago want to be, though, near Navy Pier, Mag Mile, etc. There's a lot to walk to, but just know you'll be around nothing but other out-of-towners.

I see you mentioned Manny's below, which is a great deli.

If you stay at that place you mentioned, then for cheap eats I recommend walking several blocks to the west and going to Mr. Beef. Along with Al's, it's the best Italian beef in the city. Be forewarned that it is now the setting for the TV show The Bear, so it could be overrun with tourists at this point, too.

You would be in tourist central there. Great for many people who just want to be tourists, but if you're interested in seeing local neighborhoods, that ain't it. At all. That's certainly where a lot of people visiting Chicago want to be, though, near Navy Pier, Mag Mile, etc. There's a lot to walk to, but just know you'll be around nothing but other out-of-towners.

I see you mentioned Manny's below, which is a great deli.

If you stay at that place you mentioned, then for cheap eats I recommend walking several blocks to the west and going to Mr. Beef. Along with Al's, it's the best Italian beef in the city. Be forewarned that it is now the setting for the TV show The Bear, so it could be overrun with tourists at this point, too.
All of our bookings have cancellation availability (I was saved from staying at a dive in Memphis by a FBG years ago). If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. When booking in that area, my thinking was to try to be in walking distance to the suggested spots to visit.

I’m also hoping to find a good Italian restaurant and a smaller venue to catch a band if you have some ideas. Thanks!

I forgot. Have to get a juicy lucy while you are in the Twin Cities for a lower end meal. Or go all out and go to Manny's steakhouse.
Any place in particular for the best juicy Lucy?
The big debate in Minnesota is between Matt's bar and the 5-8 club as to who "invented" the juicy lucy. I have never eaten at Matts, but I make sure I get to the 5-8 for at least one meal every time I am up there.

I forgot. Have to get a juicy lucy while you are in the Twin Cities for a lower end meal. Or go all out and go to Manny's steakhouse.
Any place in particular for the best juicy Lucy?
The big debate in Minnesota is between Matt's bar and the 5-8 club as to who "invented" the juicy lucy. I have never eaten at Matts, but I make sure I get to the 5-8 for at least one meal every time I am up there.
I lived in MN for a couple of years and everything I heard was it was a Matt's thing. I've been to both places and if I had to pick between a spot to go try one, it'd be Matt's.

All of our bookings have cancellation availability (I was saved from staying at a dive in Memphis by a FBG years ago). If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. When booking in that area, my thinking was to try to be in walking distance to the suggested spots to visit.

I’m also hoping to find a good Italian restaurant and a smaller venue to catch a band if you have some ideas. Thanks!

There are a squillion great neighborhoods if you want something not touristy, but I'm not sure what you're planning to do while there so unclear which places you need to be within walking distance of. The only thing I know is on your list is a Cubs game, which won't be walkable. If you give me some of where you plan to visit, then I could tell you. If it's just Navy Pier and stuff like that then where you are will be a great location. Your original note about it was that you were looking for the ability to walk local neighborhoods, which is why I was telling you that location is not going to be that.

Small music venues I love include The Hideout, Empty Bottle, Schuba's, Martyr's, Subterranean, and Bottom Lounge. Kingston Mines is terrific for blues, as is Blue Chicago. Green Mill for jazz or whatever wacky thing they might be doing that night, or Andy's also for jazz. Carol's Pub is a great country dive bar. All of these other than Blue Chicago will require an Uber or other ride there, if you stay where you indicated. There are many more I could name - remind just before you go and I'll check around to see who's playing where and give you specific recommendations.

For Italian, do you want fancy nouveau Italian, red-sauce Italian, Italian steakhouse, or...? Way too many options without narrowing it down a bit.

Btw, it looks like there are a couple of other Chicago-visit threads floating around on the first page right now that arose after yours. :)

There are a squillion great neighborhoods if you want something not touristy, but I'm not sure what you're planning to do while there so unclear which places you need to be within walking distance of. The only thing I know is on your list is a Cubs game, which won't be walkable. If you give me some of where you plan to visit, then I could tell you. If it's just Navy Pier and stuff like that then where you are will be a great location. Your original note about it was that you were looking for the ability to walk local neighborhoods, which is why I was telling you that location is not going to be that.

Small music venues I love include The Hideout, Empty Bottle, Schuba's, Martyr's, Subterranean, and Bottom Lounge. Kingston Mines is terrific for blues, as is Blue Chicago. Green Mill for jazz or whatever wacky thing they might be doing that night, or Andy's also for jazz. Carol's Pub is a great country dive bar. All of these other than Blue Chicago will require an Uber or other ride there, if you stay where you indicated. There are many more I could name - remind just before you go and I'll check around to see who's playing where and give you specific recommendations.

For Italian, do you want fancy nouveau Italian, red-sauce Italian, Italian steakhouse, or...? Way too many options without narrowing it down a bit.
With only two full days and a Cubs game already planned, it looks like we are probably well situated to do most of what we are hoping to do (Navy Pier, Art Institute, Architecture Tour). Thanks for the tips on the smaller music venues - this is exactly what I am looking to do during the evenings we are there. I’ll connect closer to our trip for more thoughts on this.

As for Italian food, we are looking mostly for old school Nonna’s red sauce Italian, either upscaled or casual.

Thanks again!

As for Italian food, we are looking mostly for old school Nonna’s red sauce Italian, either upscaled or casual.

Club Lucky for sure then. Here's a good description/review. It's a former speakeasy (and a bunch of other stuff) turned into a 1940s supper club vibe combined with fantastic food and cocktails. And remarkably reasonably priced. Don't miss the calamari and the pasta squares with meatballs. I'd recommend a reservation, though depending upon day and time you might be OK without it.

A few of the small music venues I mentioned are near here, so you might be able to combine the two one evening, if we find that there's something good at the Subterranean or Empty Bottle, for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread