What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Free Agency Question (1 Viewer)

whoiskb

Footballguy
So I keep reading that free agency opens up on March 3, but I see that teams are already signing free agents (bengals picked up a WR and QB) this past week.

Is march 3rd the time when players that are on existing teams, officially become free agents and available to be signed by others?

Thanks

KB

So I keep reading that free agency opens up on March 3, but I see that teams are already signing free agents (bengals picked up a WR and QB) this past week.

Is march 3rd the time when players that are on existing teams, officially become free agents and available to be signed by others?Thanks

KB
This would be correct.

Is march 3rd the time when players that are on existing teams, officially become free agents and available to be signed by others?Thanks

KB
This would be correct.
correct answer to your Q, just wanted to add that players are often cut before this date to free up $ under the cap. So they'll be recently cut players and players whose contract has run out. Some free agents signed this week were "future contracts" which means nothing and they have to either make the team or make it to camp. Also players NOT on NFL teams to close 05 can be signed any time. Probably best to say minimal skill level players that'll need some hope+a prayer to make the team can be signed anytime.

KB
This would be correct.
correct answer to your Q, just wanted to add that players are often cut before this date to free up $ under the cap. So they'll be recently cut players and players whose contract has run out. Some free agents signed this week were "future contracts" which means nothing and they have to either make the team or make it to camp. Also players NOT on NFL teams to close 05 can be signed any time. Probably best to say minimal skill level players that'll need some hope+a prayer to make the team can be signed anytime.
Just to add one more thing, the players signed now are often allocated to NFL Europe as well. They are usually guys that know they are going over there to play and a team signs them so if they play well over there, there rights are already established.

Users who are viewing this thread