What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

From Fat to Fit 2024 - Back in the Saddle (2 Viewers)

Hey, man. I’m on your side. I can’t quit the booze either. I work out 6-7 days a week. Sometimes twice a day. Eat great for the most part. I’ll never lose the last 10-20. If I didn’t drink I’d be ripped. :shrug:
Just got back from gym. The one rowing machine they have is now broken. So much for that.

I gave up bourbon. That's as far as I'm going.

My blood pressure is good, my resting heart rate is lower than it's been since high school, and my bloodwork is all ok. I may have to just accept the fact that it's a win that I can now see where my abs should be, even though I may never actually see them. I've started to replace one meal a day with a prebiotic protein shake, which will give me a bigger calorie deficit. We'll see if that helps me get rid of the last 10 lbs to my goal.

But come summer, there will be a 12 pack of crappy light beer on my boat, dammit.

Have read zero of this thread, so I have no clue if anyone may have useful advice.

Last August I started eating healthier and working out regularly. I dropped about 40 lbs and have maintained that, hitting the gym about 5x week, eating a reasonably healthy diet and cutting out liquor (still drink some light beer and/or wine on weekends). I really want to drop about 10 more, but it seems like my body has hit a set point. Not interested in weight loss drugs or gimmicks. Thoughts on shedding the last 20% of my goal?
Find a rowing machine and use it often. Combo cardio/resistance will get you through the stall.
Also time. Eventually, if you maintain a deficit you will lose again.
That's really the basis of the question. I lost 40 lbs through diet and exercise. I am maintaining a slight calorie deficit But went from a steady weight loss to hitting a set point. I agree that over time I should be able to get to my goal weight by continuing to do what I'm doing, but I'm not sure why the plateau and whether I need to change things up.

No, I'm not giving up enjoying a couple light beers on the weekends or wine with dinner here or there. I'd rather be fat.

I have access to a rowing machine and have used it a couple times. I just don't enjoy it. Part of the way I've approached exercise over the last 9 months is to do things I enjoy, or at least that I don't hate. That's part of how I've been able to get myself to the gym 5 times a week. The rowing machine does kick my butt, so I suppose that means it works and it's hitting muscle groups that I'm not otherwise working. I guess I'll try to hit it more often.

The information out there is very contradictory about the ratio of cardio to resistance for weight loss. I'm leaning toward just increasing cardio and keeping the resistance the same, which means more of a time commitment and also leads to the "doing things I don't like" issue. Right now my cardio is mostly elliptical machine and walking. My knees aren't in the best condition from years of aggressive skiing and some very old soccer injuries. Running and stair climbing aren't in the picture. Rowing machine is not great on the knees, but tolerable.
As you’ve lost weight, your basal metabolic needs have changed. So the caloric expenditure to continue losing weight has also changed.

Without dramatic increases in activity level, neither cardiovascular, nor strength training will serve as the basis for continued weight loss. That’s diet’s job. I was commenting on the ratio for maximal mortality benefit from CV and strength training, which is 300-600 versus ~40 minutes/week.

Whatever you do, better to find something you enjoy, as you’re far more likely to stick with it. Surely there are other dietary tweaks and exercise to try, before you settle on a non sustainable routine? Do you have a partner to keep you accountable for your plan?

Have read zero of this thread, so I have no clue if anyone may have useful advice.

Last August I started eating healthier and working out regularly. I dropped about 40 lbs and have maintained that, hitting the gym about 5x week, eating a reasonably healthy diet and cutting out liquor (still drink some light beer and/or wine on weekends). I really want to drop about 10 more, but it seems like my body has hit a set point. Not interested in weight loss drugs or gimmicks. Thoughts on shedding the last 20% of my goal?
Find a rowing machine and use it often. Combo cardio/resistance will get you through the stall.
That's really the basis of the question. I lost 40 lbs through diet and exercise. I am maintaining a slight calorie deficit But went from a steady weight loss to hitting a set point. I agree that over time I should be able to get to my goal weight by continuing to do what I'm doing, but I'm not sure why the plateau and whether I need to change things up.

No, I'm not giving up enjoying a couple light beers on the weekends or wine with dinner here or there. I'd rather be fat.

I have access to a rowing machine and have used it a couple times. I just don't enjoy it. Part of the way I've approached exercise over the last 9 months is to do things I enjoy, or at least that I don't hate. That's part of how I've been able to get myself to the gym 5 times a week. The rowing machine does kick my butt, so I suppose that means it works and it's hitting muscle groups that I'm not otherwise working. I guess I'll try to hit it more often.

The information out there is very contradictory about the ratio of cardio to resistance for weight loss. I'm leaning toward just increasing cardio and keeping the resistance the same, which means more of a time commitment and also leads to the "doing things I don't like" issue. Right now my cardio is mostly elliptical machine and walking. My knees aren't in the best condition from years of aggressive skiing and some very old soccer injuries. Running and stair climbing aren't in the picture. Rowing machine is not great on the knees, but tolerable.
As you’ve lost weight, your basal metabolic needs have changed. So the caloric expenditure to continue losing weight has also changed.

Without dramatic increases in activity level, neither cardiovascular, nor strength training will serve as the basis for continued weight loss. That’s diet’s job. I was commenting on the ratio for maximal mortality benefit from CV and strength training, which is 300-600 versus ~40 minutes/week.

Whatever you do, better to find something you enjoy, as you’re far more likely to stick with it. Surely there are other dietary tweaks and exercise to try, before you settle on a non sustainable routine? Do you have a partner to keep you accountable for your plan?
Thanks for the input. Makes sense.

Certainly there are other dietary changes that I can make. It's an ongoing process. As you pointed out, what worked for the last 9 months isn't working now (although I'm maintaining a steady weight and not gaining anything back, which is a positive). Upping the cardio at the same time seems like the best call. Only so much time in the week and I have a wholly sedentary job, but I can find another 15 minutes each day.

Certainly there are other dietary changes that I can make. It's an ongoing process. As you pointed out, what worked for the last 9 months isn't working now (although I'm maintaining a steady weight and not gaining anything back, which is a positive). Upping the cardio at the same time seems like the best call. Only so much time in the week and I have a wholly sedentary job, but I can find another 15 minutes each day.

Adding some additional cardio (even just a 30 minute walk around the neighborhood) first thing in the morning is a great way to kick start your metabolism. Other than laziness, you won't have many excuses as to why you can get up a little earlier before work. You'll feel better throughout the day and eventually see those 10 pounds melt away if everything else remains consistent. Good luck 💪

Adding some additional cardio (even just a 30 minute walk around the neighborhood) first thing in the morning is a great way to kick start your metabolism. Other than laziness, you won't have many excuses as to why you can get up a little earlier before work. You'll feel better throughout the day and eventually see those 10 pounds melt away if everything else remains consistent. Good luck 💪
You don't live in the Pacific Northwest, huh? Waking up early to take a walk in cold rain falls under "things I don't like" and therefore unsustainable.

You don't live in the Pacific Northwest, huh? Waking up early to take a walk in cold rain falls under "things I don't like" and therefore unsustainable.
Goonies never say die, and apparently keep living in a rainy area.

Haha, these are things a home treadmill can solve.

No room. That's why I go to the gym.

No room. That's why I go to the gym.

Sounds like you found the answer. Good job buddy!

Goonies never say die, and apparently keep living in a rainy area.
They filmed the end of the movie in the bay area. Too much rain in Astoria.

Agree with you on finding time for more cardio. It's just going to be more time at the gym, other than in the summer. I usually just go over lunchtime, but I think your point about kick-starting my metabolism with exercise has some merit. I'll give going before work a shot.

Yeah, I was a commuter cyclist for years. The route is 15 miles one-way, but Fridays my friends and I would do a 40 mile loop, starting in the wee hours, to avoid traffic. Waking up early sucked, but biking to work really energized me during my shift.

And it was great to have no easy choice other than biking home, though I swallowed my pride a few times to hitch a ride with my wife.

down to 260 after weighing 300 some 18-24 months ago. goal is to get to 250 by end of summer. been lifting weights 2-3 times a week, a bit of cardio, and just eating less.

fwiw, 6'5".

Agree with you on finding time for more cardio. It's just going to be more time at the gym, other than in the summer. I usually just go over lunchtime, but I think your point about kick-starting my metabolism with exercise has some merit. I'll give going before work a shot.

Jumping rope, jumping jacks, burpees, push ups, pull ups, situps, planks and other calisthenics are also great if you can't make it to the gym. Not sure how that stuff will effect your knees but it's worth a shot. When I'm traveling and there's no gym option, that's normally my mode of operation.

Jumping rope, jumping jacks, burpees, push ups, pull ups, situps, planks and other calisthenics are also great if you can't make it to the gym. Not sure how that stuff will effect your knees but it's worth a shot. When I'm traveling and there's no gym option, that's normally my mode of operation.
Yep. I do planks and crunches in the evening watching TV. Jumping jacks and jumping rope aren't viable for me, but calisthenics in general are a good idea that I can add more consistently.

awesome thread. I started my journey 11 days ago. I'm 5-10, 255 pounds, and 46 years old. Joined the gym with my thirteen year old son. It's been a great bonding experience and I already feeling better . my goal is to get under 200 pounds by next June. So, 55 pounds over 10 months.
All right, one month in, down to 244 pounds. Lost 11 pounds so far. Feeling great.
two months down.
start- 255 pounds
month 1- 244 pounds
month 2- 238.9 pounds
still making progress. Hitting the point where a few people are starting to notice.
start-255 pounds
month 1- 244 pounds
month 2- 238.9 pounds
month 3- 234.5 pounds
Decided weigh in a little early because I'm about to do a little casino vacation and then follow it up with thanksgiving.
start- 255
August- 244
September- 238.9
October- 234.5
November -230.5

Also, my son has gone from 170 to 157 and has gained some decent strength too.
I didn't realize it's been so long since I posted. From pre-thanksgiving until the super bowl, I actually gained 2 pounds. Blame it on the holidays, a casino trip, and a guys trip to Green Bay. However, I did keep working out consistently and stayed the course. Right now, I'm at 223 pounds. Maybe not at 200 like I hoped, but way better than 255 like I was in August. Besides the gym, I've now also started to play pickleball. I feel great mentally and physically and still plan on getting to 200 eventually.

Does anyone drink psyllium husk? I've been drinking two tablespoons of whole psyllium husks every morning for the last month. It is a bulking agent that soaks up water, expands in our digestive track, grabbing trapped stuff from crevices and pushing everything along in a timely fashion. It has greatly improved my gut issues, allowing me to indulge in vices without suffering the consequences. I drink mine first thing in the morning because I'm underweight and don't want to rush any digestible food out of my stomach. In the beginning, I drank it once after a meal and then regretted it when I was hungry again soon after. So if you have a particularly bad cheat meal but then drink psyllium husk right after, your body may not be able to digest and absorb most of the calories.

Alright……I’m back at this. Fully committed to losing 12 lbs in the official 3 months of summer, but more importantly, this is the time when I’m going to break my sugar addiction and build some healthy eating habits. 12 lbs may not sound like a big deal to some folks but a) I’m not tall, b) my body has lost some muscle mass, so functionally I could lose 18 lbs and add 6 lbs muscle, and that would probably be ideal.

Mrs APK is on board supporting this change, which will help a lot. The biggest reason I’ve chosen now is that I finally have 10-12 weeks with minimal work travel — which at least makes it more logistically simpler to have healthy food available. Fresh fruit and vegetables. Lean proteins. Almonds for a snack. Less processed food. Minimal dessert - dare I even say (gasp) fruit for dessert.

My body has been giving me warning signs. Sore knees and ankles. A growing waistband. Lower energy level. Foot swelling and inflammation. Dehydration.

Time for a change. Counting calories and focusing on nutrition - especially sodium intake (which correlates to processed foods) - today.

Consumed 1550 calories today. Walked 12.7 miles. Food app says I ate about 750 net calories. My goal each day is 1200. I was at 50% of my daily allowance of sodium. That’s ballpark right, because bluntly Americans consume too much sodium.

I’m going to try hard to post in here each day to stay accountable. Hope y’all are doing well.

(forgot to add: I also have a family history of really high cholesterol and some cardiac events for men in my family in their 70s……)

I ate 1350 calories yesterday and gained a pound!!! I'm out
Don’t get discouraged.

I realize this “I’ll start tomorrow” schtick had kind of been your thing for years, but in reading some of your posts it sounds like you should stick to it.

Don’t weigh in every day. If the weight is what motivates you then “cheat the scale.” Weigh in the morning after you’ve gone for a walk or exercised in some way.

When I was losing last year I’d make sure to eat well and exercise all week. Then weigh in on Friday morning after a run. I was always down a pound or two.

Don’t get discouraged.

I realize this “I’ll start tomorrow” schtick had kind of been your thing for years, but in reading some of your posts it sounds like you should stick to it.

Don’t weigh in every day. If the weight is what motivates you then “cheat the scale.” Weigh in the morning after you’ve gone for a walk or exercised in some way.

When I was losing last year I’d make sure to eat well and exercise all week. Then weigh in on Friday morning after a run. I was always down a pound or two.
Yeah, I weigh in each morning because that is when my weight is lowest. It’s a psychological trick that works for me.

It can be annoying though that my body has a 1-day delay……sometimes I’m up when I should be down and vice versa……

Don’t get discouraged.

I was actually joking. Thanks though :)

Don’t get discouraged.

I was actually joking. Thanks though :)
I wondered if it was a joke. But it is also annoying sometimes when it happens!!!

1600 calories today
Net of about 900 calories
Walked 11.9 miles in the heat. Tomorrow will be a 5-6 mile run to start the day.
Sodium was 50% of daily allowance again. Amazing how much less thirsty I am when not consuming so much processed food.

I did splurge tonight with a scoop of ice cream with my daughter. But unlike my normal instinct, it was a single small scoop.

Not doing a weigh in until Saturday morning, but curious to see how things are then.

1650 calories today
Net of about 800 calories
Walked 9 miles and ran 4 miles today. Tomorrow will be a more relaxing day after four straight days of burden on my body

Sodium was 95% of daily allowance because I had pizza for lunch unplanned (the place I met a friend was unusually busy, so we had pizza ugh). Fortunately I kept my portions under control.

Sugar was well below allowance, as was cholesterol (oddly).

I’m sticking to the gameplan largely, diligently tracking calories and nutrition. For whatever reason, that process and reporting it in here helps me stay on the path.

1550 calories today. Only walked 5 miles — too much work plus rain tonight.

Had a late work lunch / early dinner and it wasn’t super healthy. Sodium was 33% below allowance but sugar and cholesterol were right at the norm (as opposed to below goal).

It’s ok to have less than perfect days. The key for me is when I don’t do serious damage — I didn’t eat great, but also didn’t eat terribly. I made mostly good choices, but also a couple imperfect ones.

I stayed in One-derland for a long time, but slowly built back up to just over 200 for a few months. Hurt my back a few weeks ago and crept up to 208, no problem I told myself. I'm not much of a snacker so it is mainly really big meals doing it. Just got back from a mission trip where there was a ton of junk food around. 215. Fat to Fit starts again today. And yes it was the chocolate chipotle chicken mash that I love :) Charts starting tomorrow. Keep it up @Alex P Keaton and good luck to all!

I stayed in One-derland for a long time, but slowly built back up to just over 200 for a few months. Hurt my back a few weeks ago and crept up to 208, no problem I told myself. I'm not much of a snacker so it is mainly really big meals doing it. Just got back from a mission trip where there was a ton of junk food around. 215. Fat to Fit starts again today. And yes it was the chocolate chipotle chicken mash that I love :) Charts starting tomorrow. Keep it up @Alex P Keaton and good luck to all!
Hope you are recovering (injured back) and that life is more generally treating you well. Love that you are still doing mission trips!!

We both know how this whole deal works. You can crush your goals and be an inspiration to others!

DateWeightChg From StartWeekly LossCalories
Jun 20215.8--1120
Jun 21212.03.8

I was hoping a lot of that weight I put on was water weight. We were in Orlando again and doing our best to stay hydrated. I missed Father's Day, so my family took my dad out to a hibachi grill for lunch today. No idea how to gauge the calories. I only ate half the plate (steak, shrimp, fried rice, noodles, broccoli, yum yum). Also had ginger salad. Should be more controlled from this point.

1450 calories today, about 1100 net. I walked about 9 miles, over the course of 3 different sections of the day.

One pattern I’ve seen already is that I’m not consuming enough protein. Gotta figure that out.

Official weigh in is Sunday, but my preliminary weigh in this morning showed me down 1.8 lbs since starting on Monday.

Jun 20215.8--1120
Jun 21212.03.8-2200
Jun 22210.85.0-

Well, that's the end of the water weight I think. Had no idea how to calculate the hibachi, but had the core power shake and chicken at the appropriate times. Really hot outside but going for a walk. Keep it up!

Jun 20215.8--1120
Jun 21212.03.8-2200
Jun 22210.85.0-1420
Jun 23208.47.4-

Ok, so now I'm back to where I started pre-trip. It's amazing how much water weight you put on. We really were staying hydrated so I guess that paid off. I'd like to be sub 195 for sure, and maybe reach 189.9.

1750 calories today, about 950 net. I walked 13.5 miles today with Mrs APK, a nice leisurely day by Lake Michigan. Official weigh in today put me at 2.2 lbs down from my initial weigh in. I know that my pace will be 1 lb per week of loss on average, based on my historical pattern — which means I need to stay focused and stick to the plan.

Did better today with protein, sodium is still looking good (no chips, etc). I’m still eating a scoop of ice cream each night, which when paired with eggs for breakfast means my cholesterol is still too high. But my sugar levels overall are also continuing to look good.

1750 calories today, about 950 net. I walked 13.5 miles today with Mrs APK, a nice leisurely day by Lake Michigan. Official weigh in today put me at 2.2 lbs down from my initial weigh in. I know that my pace will be 1 lb per week of loss on average, based on my historical pattern — which means I need to stay focused and stick to the plan.

Did better today with protein, sodium is still looking good (no chips, etc). I’m still eating a scoop of ice cream each night, which when paired with eggs for breakfast means my cholesterol is still too high. But my sugar levels overall are also continuing to look good.
We walked about 11 miles at DisneyWorld and my feet were killing me (wore the wrong shoes). You are busting out 13 mile walks for fun, good job!

I'm not a big dessert person so laying off the sweets is pretty easy for me personally, but a scoop of ice cream every single night? Think you'll want to cut that out.

Yeah, I'm big protein advocate as I notice it fills me up and definitely helps with my current muscle building routine. I always start my day with coffee mixed with protein powder and add a scoop to my smoothies after a workout. If you're an ice cream guy you should look into Syntha 6 Isolate - the chocolate is almost ice cream like and eases my cravings. Fage yogurt has great macros if you're looking for a quality greek yogurt with no filler. And the usual meats (bison is king but pricey), eggs and egg whites, black beans, quinoa, etc.

I'm not a big dessert person so laying off the sweets is pretty easy for me personally, but a scoop of ice cream every single night? Think you'll want to cut that out.
Well, I won’t WANT to cut it out but I do NEED to!

Yeah, I'm big protein advocate as I notice it fills me up and definitely helps with my current muscle building routine. I always start my day with coffee mixed with protein powder and add a scoop to my smoothies after a workout. If you're an ice cream guy you should look into Syntha 6 Isolate - the chocolate is almost ice cream like and eases my cravings. Fage yogurt has great macros if you're looking for a quality greek yogurt with no filler. And the usual meats (bison is king but pricey), eggs and egg whites, black beans, quinoa, etc.
Thx Major! Good stuff!!

We have a couple of really good quinoa recipes, and I definitely love Fage yogurt. I’m getting much better at eating “real food” which to me is defined as anything people 500 years ago would have recognized as food. That’s a big step for me. More fruit, veggies, nuts (insert joke), fish, chicken, eggs. Far far less processed food. My downfall now is pastry (have cut WAY back) and ice cream. Baby steps.

Thx Major! Good stuff!!

We have a couple of really good quinoa recipes, and I definitely love Fage yogurt. I’m getting much better at eating “real food” which to me is defined as anything people 500 years ago would have recognized as food. That’s a big step for me. More fruit, veggies, nuts (insert joke), fish, chicken, eggs. Far far less processed food. My downfall now is pastry (have cut WAY back) and ice cream. Baby steps.

Sounds like a great plan and similar diet to what I adhere to. I'm an all or nothing guy with my cheats so what works best for me is to have one cheat day where I indulge a bit. Gives me something to look forward to all week and I actually feel like I deserve after a week of eating clean. What's key for me is not having temptation in my house so once the cheat day is over I don't have easy access to the junk. When cravings hit during the week, protein bars really help me ( Barebells are amazing).

Kind of depends on how big the scoop is to some degree, if able to discipline yourself to a very small scoop - this is what I do to appease the craving after dinner along with a piece of fruit - then prob ok. It's not so easy to do that though.

Oh yeah, be careful of those nuts Alex. Extremely calorie dense so a little goes a long way and not ideal when you're looking to lose weight. I use Peanut Butter powder for my oatmeal which cuts the calories by 75%, keeps the protein and tastes pretty good.

Oh yeah, be careful of those nuts Alex. Extremely calorie dense so a little goes a long way and not ideal when you're looking to lose weight. I use Peanut Butter powder for my oatmeal which cuts the calories by 75%, keeps the protein and tastes pretty good.
Lightly salted mixed nuts are a great alternative to the chips for me. Couple handfuls and I get a great feeling of satiety. But, you're right. You can overdo it quickly.

Lightly salted mixed nuts are a great alternative to the chips for me. Couple handfuls and I get a great feeling of satiety. But, you're right. You can overdo it quickly.

True. Almost anything is better than chips. I'd rather have a huge bowl of popcorn for a fraction of the calories versus a handful of nuts but whatever works best for you. Being mindful of the calorie count is the most important and for me I often misjudge how many nuts I consume. Walnuts and pecans are much lighter but I'm a cashew and almond guy :kicksrock:

True. Almost anything is better than chips. I'd rather have a huge bowl of popcorn for a fraction of the calories versus a handful of nuts but whatever works best for you. Being mindful of the calorie count is the most important and for me I often misjudge how many nuts I consume. Walnuts and pecans are much lighter but I'm a cashew and almond guy :kicksrock:
I make sure to measure out the serving size and put them in a bowl. If I just sit there with the canister I'll crush 1,000 calories worth real quickly.

RE satiety, lately ive been into hard boiled eggs. Its a new one for me, but I find a single hard boiled egg, using this sauce with each bite, is surprisingly filling.

I struggle with nuts as I go overboard with them all the time.

Last edited:

13.5 walk is exceptional!

Be careful with salt. If you are eating healthy, you have a chance to not get enough salt. I do not know your medical history, but once you start sweating a lot and not eating processed foods, drinking more water, sodium (and iron) levels can drop.

Best of luck!

Yeah, with all of this stuff, the key for me is a) measure out the portion, b) use the MyFitnessPal app to track my caloric intake.

If I don’t track my calories each day, my brain easily tricks itself into thinking I’ve been more successful nutritionally that day than is in line with reality.

• Love
Reactions: JAA

Users who are viewing this thread