What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Zepbound and other weight loss drugs (1 Viewer)

Terminalxylem

Footballguy
FDA-approved today, for weight loss. Quite a bit more effective than semaglutide (Ozempic, Wegovy).
Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Zepbound (tirzepatide) injection for chronic weight management in adults with obesity (body mass index of 30 kilograms per square meter (kg/ m2) or greater) or overweight (body mass index of 27 kg/m2 or greater) with at least one weight-related condition (such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes or high cholesterol) for use, in addition to a reduced calorie diet and increased physical activity. Tirzepatide, the active ingredient in Zepbound, is already approved under the trade name Mounjaro to be used along with diet and exercise to help improve blood sugar (glucose) in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus.

“Obesity and overweight are serious conditions that can be associated with some of the leading causes of death such as heart disease, stroke and diabetes,” said John Sharretts, M.D., director of the Division of Diabetes, Lipid Disorders, and Obesity in the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. “In light of increasing rates of both obesity and overweight in the United States, today’s approval addresses an unmet medical need.”

Approximately 70% of American adults have obesity or overweight, and many of those overweight have a weight-related condition. Losing 5% to 10% of body weight through diet and exercise has been associated with a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease in adults with obesity or overweight.

Zepbound activates receptors of hormones secreted from the intestine (glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) and glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP)) to reduce appetite and food intake. Zepbound is administered by injection under the skin once weekly, and the dosage must be increased over four to 20 weeks to achieve the target dosages of 5 milligram (mg), 10 mg or 15 mg once weekly. The maximum dosage of Zepbound is 15 mg once weekly.

Zepbound’s effectiveness for chronic weight management (weight reduction and maintenance) in combination with a reduced-calorie diet and increased physical activity was established in two randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials of adults with obesity or overweight with at least one weight-related condition. These studies measured weight reduction after 72 weeks in a total of 2,519 patients who received either 5 mg, 10 mg or 15 mg of Zepbound once weekly and a total of 958 patients who received once-weekly placebo injections. In both trials, after 72 weeks of treatment, patients who received Zepbound at all three dose levels experienced a statistically significant reduction in body weight compared to those who received placebo, and greater proportions of patients who received Zepbound achieved at least 5% weight reduction compared to placebo.

The larger of the two trials enrolled adults without diabetes. At the start of the trial, the average body weight was 231 pounds (105 kg) and average body mass index was 38 kg/m2. In this trial, those randomized to receive the highest approved dosage of Zepbound (15 mg once weekly) lost on average 18% of their body weight compared to those randomized to placebo.

At the start of the trial in adults with type 2 diabetes, the average body weight was 222 pounds (101 kg) and average body mass index was 36 kg/m2. Those randomized to receive the highest approved dosage of Zepbound (15 mg once weekly) lost on average 12% of their body weight compared to those randomized to placebo.

Zepbound can cause side effects such as nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, constipation, abdominal (stomach) discomfort and pain, injection site reactions, fatigue, hypersensitivity (allergic) reactions (typically fever and rash), burping, hair loss and gastroesophageal reflux disease.
The total weight loss at 72 weeks was actually 21% in the larger study (for some reason, FDA subtracted a few pounds, when compared to placebo), which is comparable to long-term weight loss from bariatric surgery.

I know these drugs have been mentioned in some of the weight loss threads, but this class of medication raises the bar for obesity treatment, and will likely quickly become standard of care, in concert with diet/exercise.

All you need is a BMI of 27 and a weight-related condition, so a six-foot man with high cholesterol qualifies at 2 bills.

Anyone interested?

Any idea of how prevalent/serious the side effects are? I haven't paid much attention to Ozyempic, but I've heard scary things here and there. It would be great if we found a medical treatment for obesity. I'm skinny and not in the market for anything like this, but one of my co-wokers had bariatric surgery a few years ago. She's lost quite a bit of weight but put some back on, and I know she never reached the goals she was hoping to reach. A non-surgical option would be wonderful.

Any idea of how prevalent/serious the side effects are? I haven't paid much attention to Ozyempic, but I've heard scary things here and there. It would be great if we found a medical treatment for obesity. I'm skinny and not in the market for anything like this, but one of my co-wokers had bariatric surgery a few years ago. She's lost quite a bit of weight but put some back on, and I know she never reached the goals she was hoping to reach. A non-surgical option would be wonderful.
The side effect profile is fairly comparable to semaglutide - gastrointestinal symptoms like gas, nausea/vomiting, and diarrhea being most common, with at least one occurring in 30-40% of people. These symptoms seldom (5-6%) are severe enough to require the drug to be discontinued, and tend to lessen over time.

The drug class is new, however, so we don’t have long-term safety data like semagultide, whose class has been around almost 20 years. There is a theoretical risk of increasing certain types of thyroid tumors, + some concerns about irritating the gallbladder and pancreas.

Those risks must be weighed against the consequences of untreated obesity, pun intended. And it should go without saying, but bariatric surgery isn’t exactly a walk in the park, either.

If I were an overweight/obese, and failed earnest attempts at lifestyle modification, I’d probably start with semagultide, and give this a couple years for more safety data to accumulate. If I already had a couple weight-related medical conditions, I’d take a chance even earlier.

Murica! Heaven forbid anyone eat mindfully and exercise 2-3 times a week
I‘m not advocating putting Zepbound in the water, but behavior modification ain’t working. And healthcare expenditures have ballooned in-step with our waistlines. Something has to change.

Also, it isn’t just the US - we don’t even crack the top 10 most obese countries.
I had to look this up. You are correct. the US is number 12. But the countries ahead of us are mostly tiny pacific island nations and Kuwait. We are easily number 1 based on population. Murica!

So will this mean they'll put all the celebs and rich people on this and my wife wont have to wait a month for her ozempic prescription (that was actually prescribed for diabetes)? Still dont know why they allow people without diabetes to get this when there are such shortages.

I‘m not advocating putting Zepbound in the water, but behavior modification ain’t working. And healthcare expenditures have ballooned in-step with our waistlines. Something has to change.

Also, it isn’t just the US - we don’t even crack the top 10 most obese countries.

Yeah, I think it was mentioned in other threads that people are pretty convinced that poor diet and inactivity is a form of moral failure. Everyone knows someone who changed their life with diet and exercise so everyone can do it right? And if you fail, that's a you problem. That's been the default stance as long as I can remember and it isn't working. I'm not sure why some folks get triggered that there is a medicine that can help curb appetite, improve BMI, blood pressure, and cholesterol. The horrors of it all.

I was joking with my doctor that we should nationalize this medicine and give it out like PEZ and we can send the excess food the US has to solve world hunger. Pretty sure I eat enough for a family of 4. I'll pay the shipping.

Hopefully cheaper than the current drugs (i.e Wegovy) which are ~$1500 per month and not covered by most insurance

what is numero uno i bet it is somewhere you would never guess like ecquadoor or greenland take that to the bank brochacho

I had to look this up. You are correct. the US is number 12. But the countries ahead of us are mostly tiny pacific island nations and Kuwait. We are easily number 1 based on population. Murica!
yeah murica is super fat but we would drop to like number 50 if we gave houston to mexico take that to the bank bromigo

what is numero uno i bet it is somewhere you would never guess like ecquadoor or greenland take that to the bank brochacho
Nauru. :shrug:

Eta: last census had the population at 12500

So will this mean they'll put all the celebs and rich people on this and my wife wont have to wait a month for her ozempic prescription (that was actually prescribed for diabetes)? Still dont know why they allow people without diabetes to get this when there are such shortages.

The argument I’ve heard - and mind you it’s not my argument - is that there are other good drugs for diabetes but not as many for weight loss. The part of that I don’t buy is there’s a ton of weight loss stuff out there. The part I do get is - obesity has so many health issues associated with it (including diabetes) that they should treat it as a “disease” when needed.

Hope your wife can get what she needs.

yeah murica is super fat but we would drop to like number 50 if we gave houston to mexico take that to the bank bromigo

:lmao:

The argument I’ve heard - and mind you it’s not my argument - is that there are other good drugs for diabetes but not as many for weight loss. The part of that I don’t buy is there’s a ton of weight loss stuff out there. The part I do get is - obesity has so many health issues associated with it (including diabetes) that they should treat it as a “disease” when needed.

That makes sense except when you see people getting it to "lose a few pounds". It's become fashionable to carry around the Ozempic pen. I wouldn't care if there wasn't a shortage of the stuff.

That makes sense except when you see people getting it to "lose a few pounds". It's become fashionable to carry around the Ozempic pen. I wouldn't care if there wasn't a shortage of the stuff.

Yeah - I saw a segment on I think GMA or Today and it talked about people just trying to shed 20 pounds taking it - seems both extremely rude but terribly irresponsible- people with actual obesity though, I can see that being fine. Ultimately, seems like the pharmaceutical companies and insurance companies drive the shortage as much as idiots taking it for quick weight loss.

Pacific Islanders are people too!

I agree, but to play Devil’s advocate, there are fewer FDA-approved obesity treatments than diabetes medications. And Ozempic isn’t necessarily first-line for diabetes.

This contrasts to other situations medications have been hoarded (eg. hydroxychloroquine), when less toxic, cheaper alternatives don’t exist.

What are you basing this on? Everything I’ve read and the anecdotes from people I know on it say otherwise.
A Search

The one that caught my eye was the Stomach Paralysis side effect.

I could not actually tell you what stomach paralysis entails, but I can tell you I don't want to experience it.

Well sure, but just about every medicine people take have a weird uncommon side effect.
You have higher risk tolerance than I do. I ain't effing with my plumbing.

What are you basing this on? Everything I’ve read and the anecdotes from people I know on it say otherwise.
A Search

I could not actually tell you what stomach paralysis entails, but I can tell you I don't want to experience it.

Well sure, but just about every medicine people take have a weird uncommon side effect.

I’m actually scared to take any meds on the regular so I’m with you there.

Depending where you look, it’s one of several pacific island nations: Nauru, American Samoa the Cook Islands, Palau or Tonga

A Search

You also don’t want any of the multitude of obesity-related diseases, some which (diabetes) can cause gastroparesis (aka stomach paralysis).

i am already dreaming of the commercials and zep related songs, as chubbers rock out at concerts, hike, hang glide and play the saxophone.

Hopefully, this doesn’t end up like covid vaccination, where people fear extremely unlikely side effects more than the more harmful diseases it prevents/treats.

You also don’t want any of the multitude of obesity-related diseases, some which (diabetes) can cause gastroparesis (aka stomach paralysis).
I am way way out of my depth in discussing side effects of any of these drugs, I am just cautious about a medication that people are real excited about, and is new.

With anything like this, I am happy to let someone else be the first wave.

And from the little I know about the way our bodies work, I don't see how the same nasty habits that got us here, and all of their side effects, are going to be prevented/treated, by a single drug. :shrug:
I think it might fool people into thinking they have a get out of jail free card. In fact, I KNOW it will.

I am way way out of my depth in discussing side effects of any of these drugs, I am just cautious about a medication that people are real excited about, and is new.

And from the little I know about the way our bodies work, I don't see how the same nasty habits that got us here, and all of their side effects, are going to be prevented/treated, by a single drug. :shrug:
I think it might fool people into thinking they have a get out of jail free card. In fact, I KNOW it will.
It’s good to be cautious with new medications, or any new technology, for that matter. At least for Ozempic/Wegovy, that is less of a concern, as the drug class has been out a while.

I don’t expect this new drug to reverse decades of abusing our bodies, but just about anything that causes significant weight loss helps prevent/control a litany of medical problems.

We need to get over the stigma associated with weight loss meds, imo, and adopt a harm reduction model to curb the obesity epidemic. Of course there are many other systemic/cultural changes that should occur simultaneously, but all the bigger changes take time and political will.

A Search

I’m actually scared to take any meds on the regular so I’m with you there.
This is my goal as well. I don’t want to rely on meds to live a normal life. I’m irritated that I’m currently on a blood thinner due to just having a cardiac ablation. My cardiologist and I are going to discuss going off of it after the recommended post ablation dosage. I cut myself the other day and the lack of coagulation was seriously annoying. i already have lowish platelets. i get why it’s recommended, but I’d Prefer to not be on any meds.

Hopefully, this doesn’t end up like covid vaccination, where people fear extremely unlikely side effects more than the more harmful diseases it prevents/treats.
i heard a lovely statistic today that regular childhood vaccinations are on the decrease in the United States. Idaho leads the pack with a 12% reduction in regular normal childhood vaccinations. measles mumps rubella. That sort of proven science. Good times.

i heard a lovely statistic today that regular childhood vaccinations are on the decrease in the United States. Idaho leads the pack with a 12% reduction in regular normal childhood vaccinations. measles mumps rubella. That sort of proven science. Good times.
Yeah, it’s super gross, and tragic. Hopefully those same kids accept catch-up vaccines when they’re older; but it’s unlikely, if that’s the way they’re raised. So I guess we should be prepared to welcome measles, mumps, diphtheria, polio, etc. back.

While I share your dislike of taking medication, if they help whatever medical condition they’re prescribed for, we shouldn’t be resistant/scared to take them - doing so isn’t that much different than being an anti-vaxxer imo. This assumes the side effects aren’t worse than the disease, of course.

ETA With your low baseline risk, there’s no reason to think you won’t be taken off the Eliquis two months lost-ablation.

Last edited:

It’s good to be cautious with new medications, or any new technology, for that matter. At least for Ozempic/Wegovy, that is less of a concern, as the drug class has been out a while.

I don’t expect this new drug to reverse decades of abusing our bodies, but just about anything that causes significant weight loss helps prevent/control a litany of medical problems.

We need to get over the stigma associated with weight loss meds, imo, and adopt a harm reduction model to curb the obesity epidemic. Of course there are many other systemic/cultural changes that should occur simultaneously, but all the bigger changes take time and political will.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/7DNOlHkgimCSZgjlvBJNCM?si=Z3n-mMCbSHCsNxqml_bDCA

Podcast on these drugs.

This all seems really positive thus far.

In the age of social media, that's going to happen for just about every medical advance.

In this case, it's compounded by most of the public not understanding that obesity is a disease, nor that obesity raises risks for all sorts of other diseases.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7DNOlHkgimCSZgjlvBJNCM?si=Z3n-mMCbSHCsNxqml_bDCA

Podcast on these drugs.

Yeah, my cardiologist friend was talking about taking them himself, even though he’s thin and non-diabetic. Several studies show they decrease all-cause mortality, especially that due to vascular disease, plus they may protect the kidneys.

In the age of social media, that's going to happen for just about every medical advance.

In this case, it's compounded by most of the public not understanding that obesity is a disease, nor that obesity raises risks for all sorts of other diseases.
I think people know obesity is bad, but they fail to understand what constitutes a healthy weight.

Accepting obesity is a disease is a problem though.

Podcast on these drugs.

Yeah, my cardiologist friend was talking about taking them himself, even though he’s thin and non-diabetic. Several studies show they decrease all-cause mortality, especially that due to vascular disease, plus they may protect the kidneys.

My wife’s GP is on them for diabetes.

Podcast on these drugs.

Is (s)he overweight?

So we just go to our GP and ask for this?

I'd qualify under your BMI model quite easily. :bag:

Podcast on these drugs.

Is (s)he overweight?

He is also my doctor on occasion and he’s super thin.

Podcast on these drugs.

Is (s)he overweight?

What occasions? When you’re sick?

Or are you one of those two-for-one patient couples?

So we just go to our GP and ask for this?

I'd qualify under your BMI model quite easily. :bag:
You can certainly let them know you’re interested. They should counsel you on appropriate diet an exercise first, and encourage you to pursue an earnest trial of lifestyle modification.

Generally you should fail that before it’s prescribed, though I think there’s a good argument to use these meds to kick start the program.

Podcast on these drugs.

Is (s)he overweight?

What occasions? When you’re sick?

Or are you one of those two-for-one patient couples?

When my GP is booked up and I’m sick. They are in the same practice.

Users who are viewing this thread