What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

From Fat to Fit 2024 - New Year New Goals! (3 Viewers)

Lost around 8 lbs so far. Sugar cravings all gone. Haven't a treat or dessert since Jan 1. Don't miss it. Also been smoking weed less and if I do right before bed so I don't get the urge to snack. So far so good. Long way to go but I'm feeling confident!

I would say this: every person is unique, and we all have bodies where some things work for us and other things don't. I'd like for people to share ideas of what has worked for them and avoid criticizing what has worked for others (unless it is absolutely clearly health detrimental). It should be noted that none of us are doctors, and you should always follow your doctor's advice as they are more informed and have more data about your health than any of us.

Good progress being made! Keep your focus on your goals, and don't let a one day (or stretch) of bad decisions totally derail you. Make the next right health decision. I know the first 2 or 3 days when I cut my calories, I have the hunger pains, but I know I'm not going to starve. After that my stomach shrinks a little, or I just get used to it, and it becomes much easier. Stick with it!
Good stuff. And really glad & appreciative that you continue to post in here!

I’m heading home from vacation tomorrow, so my next health push begins on Sunday. Going back to what has worked for me before, along with a couple new things:

- using MyFitnessPal app to track calories
- getting in about 8 miles per day of steps via walking, jogging and/or running
- not eating after 8pm
- the 100 Push Up Plan (have been back at it for 2 weeks or so)

New things I’m trying:
- exercise first thing each weekday
- having ample supply of fresh fruit and veggies in the fridge ready to go
- no ice cream or cookies in the house for the first 8 weeks (this is my vice)
- yoga 2x per week. I’m only half joking about going 1x per week to a class with hot younger women as motivation. 1x per week (minimum) I will go with my wife!

The holidays are always rough for me. It’s way too easy to slip back into my sugar addiction, and I definitely did that this year. My first weigh-in will be Sunday, and I fully expect to be very close to my weight back when this thread began. While that is a bit depressing and feels like a big hill to climb, the reality is that I can do this. I’ve done it before. It is very simple — I just have to want the outcome enough to make a change. That’s been my barrier.

My reasons to want to change:
- I’ve had recurring knee pain for about 12 months now. PT has helped a lot, but I know that losing 15 pounds would make a dramatic difference.
- my cholesterol still isn’t great, and I’m on meds to help with it. I hate taking meds. My diet needs to change, for both cholesterol and for long-term health. My dad had a heart attack in his early 60s. I’d rather avoid that.
- I don’t want to keep losing weight, gaining it back, lather/rinse/repeat. I want to be a good example for my kids.
- would like to improve my core strength and flexibility

Good luck to anyone else committing to a goal or considering it. Just do it! Take the action now!
Today is day 4. It was depressing to weigh in on Sunday and realize I have almost the full 15 lbs to lose to reach my target (14.6 to be exact). Then I remembered “hey, you’ve done this before, you’ve got this!!”

I’ve been sticking largely to the game plan. Eating healthier. Counting calories. Getting in steps (only 6 miles per day instead of 8…….crappy weather, oh well). Doing pushups. No yoga yet, but I’m not beating myself up over being less than perfect!!

Beat my calorie goals the first 3 days. Haven’t weighed in yet but will on Sunday morning. 1x per week weigh in so that I don’t obsess about daily weight fluctuations.

Will report my daily calories and weigh in results each Sunday.
Ok, I’ve been absent and not reporting in. That’s bad on multiple levels because a) it doesn’t keep me publicly accountable, b) it is easier to forget to log calories, c) I can’t benefit from the ideas of others in here.

So the past 2-ish weeks I’ve largely stuck to my plan. Had 2 bad eating days out of about 17, which is a solid ratio. And even on the “bad days” I over consumed by 500-700 calories instead of 2,000 calories, so the damage was minimal.

I’m eating multiple portions of fresh fruit (which autocorrect just changed to “Fritos” briefly lol) and veggies. Have cut out morning cereal altogether and switched to oatmeal or turkey sausage + 1-2 eggs.

Still craving sugar, but that is lessening over time. Haven’t done enough consistent cardio — would love to get to 1x every day with at least 30 min of HIT cardio, but only at 3-4x per week now. Rejoined weekly speed drills on Sunday with local running club. Gotta get back to daily stretching and strength training.

So……some positive, some room to improve!

Weight progress:
Week 0 (1/2 week): -0.3 lbs vs base
Week 1: -1.1 lbs
Week 2: -0.7 lbs

Total: -2.1 lbs

While weight loss is one goal, I’m trying to put sustainable changes in place to improve my overall health. I need to keep reminding myself that *how* I do this is more important right now than *where* I get to. Long term changes. Life changes.

My aunt just had a series of small strokes. She’s fine for now — but her cardiac health is terrible. It’s a good reminder, and while I’m not young (😢) it isn’t too late to make changes.
Same - I lost one pound this week but I too am just trying to make long term changes instead of lose it all right now. I too have some cravings and i indulge a little but I dont eat late at night hardly ever. Haven't worked out too much the last week or so with the weather and stuff going on but overall - I'm slowly noticing positive changes

I would say this: every person is unique, and we all have bodies where some things work for us and other things don't. I'd like for people to share ideas of what has worked for them and avoid criticizing what has worked for others (unless it is absolutely clearly health detrimental). It should be noted that none of us are doctors, and you should always follow your doctor's advice as they are more informed and have more data about your health than any of us.

Good progress being made! Keep your focus on your goals, and don't let a one day (or stretch) of bad decisions totally derail you. Make the next right health decision. I know the first 2 or 3 days when I cut my calories, I have the hunger pains, but I know I'm not going to starve. After that my stomach shrinks a little, or I just get used to it, and it becomes much easier. Stick with it!

I’m heading home from vacation tomorrow, so my next health push begins on Sunday. Going back to what has worked for me before, along with a couple new things:

- not eating after 8pm

New things I’m trying:
- yoga 2x per week. I’m only half joking about going 1x per week to a class with hot younger women as motivation. 1x per week (minimum) I will go with my wife!

The holidays are always rough for me. It’s way too easy to slip back into my sugar addiction, and I definitely did that this year. My first weigh-in will be Sunday, and I fully expect to be very close to my weight back when this thread began. While that is a bit depressing and feels like a big hill to climb, the reality is that I can do this. I’ve done it before. It is very simple — I just have to want the outcome enough to make a change. That’s been my barrier.

- I’ve had recurring knee pain for about 12 months now. PT has helped a lot, but I know that losing 15 pounds would make a dramatic difference.
- my cholesterol still isn’t great, and I’m on meds to help with it. I hate taking meds. My diet needs to change, for both cholesterol and for long-term health. My dad had a heart attack in his early 60s. I’d rather avoid that.
- I don’t want to keep losing weight, gaining it back, lather/rinse/repeat. I want to be a good example for my kids.

Good luck to anyone else committing to a goal or considering it. Just do it! Take the action now!
Today is day 4. It was depressing to weigh in on Sunday and realize I have almost the full 15 lbs to lose to reach my target (14.6 to be exact). Then I remembered “hey, you’ve done this before, you’ve got this!!”

I’ve been sticking largely to the game plan. Eating healthier. Counting calories. Getting in steps (only 6 miles per day instead of 8…….crappy weather, oh well). Doing pushups. No yoga yet, but I’m not beating myself up over being less than perfect!!

Beat my calorie goals the first 3 days. Haven’t weighed in yet but will on Sunday morning. 1x per week weigh in so that I don’t obsess about daily weight fluctuations.

Ok, I’ve been absent and not reporting in. That’s bad on multiple levels because a) it doesn’t keep me publicly accountable, b) it is easier to forget to log calories, c) I can’t benefit from the ideas of others in here.

So the past 2-ish weeks I’ve largely stuck to my plan. Had 2 bad eating days out of about 17, which is a solid ratio. And even on the “bad days” I over consumed by 500-700 calories instead of 2,000 calories, so the damage was minimal.

I’m eating multiple portions of fresh fruit (which autocorrect just changed to “Fritos” briefly lol) and veggies. Have cut out morning cereal altogether and switched to oatmeal or turkey sausage + 1-2 eggs.

Still craving sugar, but that is lessening over time. Haven’t done enough consistent cardio — would love to get to 1x every day with at least 30 min of HIT cardio, but only at 3-4x per week now. Rejoined weekly speed drills on Sunday with local running club. Gotta get back to daily stretching and strength training.

Weight progress:

While weight loss is one goal, I’m trying to put sustainable changes in place to improve my overall health. I need to keep reminding myself that *how* I do this is more important right now than *where* I get to. Long term changes. Life changes.

My aunt just had a series of small strokes. She’s fine for now — but her cardiac health is terrible. It’s a good reminder, and while I’m not young (😢) it isn’t too late to make changes.
Same - I lost one pound this week but I too am just trying to make long term changes instead of lose it all right now. I too have some cravings and i indulge a little but I dont eat late at night hardly ever. Haven't worked out too much the last week or so with the weather and stuff going on but overall - I'm slowly noticing positive changes
Keep it up!! Rome wasn’t built in a day! (But it sure did burn down quickly)

Haven't really gotten serious but appear to be heading in right direction again. Doc visit in a week. Nervous about A1C mostly as my diet has not been great for a while now again. I plateaud and then gained only a few lbs though since my last check in and that appears to be back on trackish. Still need to get back to the gym. Went only once last week and never got back. Excuses with life and just being tired and not getting enough sleep. Mostly my fault as I have terrible sleep routine habits. Anyways, here's my new tracker for 2024.

Beginning 6/22/23: 313.00
Last Doc check-in: 288.00
1/1/2024 291.0
1/8/2024 289.0
1/15/2024 289.0
1/22/2024 286.0

Good luck to all in consistently getting healthier.

I think some of you guys will benefit from this interview (roughly 30 minutes long). Lots of good tips for beginners to get into the gym and conquering the various mental roadblocks of working out/dieting. Start resistance training fellas. So beneficial as we get older:

I am no stranger to a gym...... i was a workout machine during college (had to) and was close to going down some type of PT or that type of career.

I'm just lazy :lol:

Thanks for the info though

- not eating after 8pm

New things I’m trying:

Weight progress:

You definitely can make an impact starting late. There’s a study which shows ”optimal” dietary changes can theoretically add 8 years to your lifespan, when started at age 60, vs. 13 if started at age 20.

Older adults with healthy habits not only live longer, they suffer less at end of life.

Last edited:
I think I have been in this thread twice already and have not stuck with anything. I never do New Years resolutions but my father in law died last month and it made me look at things a bit differently, especially around my food intake. Started Jan 1 at 255 and I am down to 240. Did the usual quick 10 pound water weight loss and now looking at around 2 pounds per week loss. Stopped eating fast found completely, doing mostly intermittent fasting and just really stopping eating after one serving of food. No exercise regimen yet, going to work on that next week. Feels good, but I really haven't noticed the 15 pound loss that much, except it is a little easier tying my shoes.

I think I have been in this thread twice already and have not stuck with anything. I never do New Years resolutions but my father in law died last month and it made me look at things a bit differently, especially around my food intake. Started Jan 1 at 255 and I am down to 240. Did the usual quick 10 pound water weight loss and now looking at around 2 pounds per week loss. Stopped eating fast found completely, doing mostly intermittent fasting and just really stopping eating after one serving of food. No exercise regimen yet, going to work on that next week. Feels good, but I really haven't noticed the 15 pound loss that much, except it is a little easier tying my shoes.
Great job taking the first action to make a change! This is a great place to find support, ideas, community. It’s helped me stay accountable in the past (and is helping get back at it now).

My condolences on the loss of your FIL. Hope you and your family are doing ok.

See you around here……

Great work. I started the year in that same range and am trending similar by cutting back portions and avoiding the bad food I used to rely on. I’ve been trying to do 30-40 min of cardio 4 days a weeks which I think will speed your process up once you start that.

I started an anxiety med that has killed my appetite which made it easier for me.

You have great momentum, keep it going. 👍

Bloodwork in...

Changes from 6/22 to 9/19.

Glucose (70-99 mg/dl):
114 ----- 89

A1C (<=5.6%):
6.7 ------ 5.8

Cholesterol (<=199):
164 ------ 127
(Doc had upped my dosage of Atorvastatin from 20-40mg as he said diabetics needed even lower cholesterol numbers)

HDL (>=40):
35 ----- 33

LDL(<=99)
103 ----- 68

Triglycerides (<=149)
148 ------ 144

B12 (232-1245)
(Started a supplement. In the past I knew it was pretty low. 323 back in 2017)

Vitamin D (>=20 ng/ml)
(Don't think I've had this checked before. Nutritionist had recommended checking.)

Very very happy with the results. 🤘🙂
Well my latest numbers came in and I'm surprised at how well they look. Was especially worried my blood sugar might pop back up. Also looks like my statin is doing a nice job. My diet has not been great and pretty much zero exercise other than walking the dog so I know I can do even better. Very happy with these.

On the down side I seem to be coming down with something with a sore scratchy throat. I've pretty much avoided being sick since Covid started so I guess I'm due.

6-22 / 9-19 / 1-23
Glucose 114---89---88
A1C 6.7---5.8---5.8
Cholesterol 164---127---121
HDL 35---33---34
LDL 103---68---67
Triglycerides 148---144---114

Bloodwork in...

Changes from 6/22 to 9/19.

Glucose (70-99 mg/dl):
114 ----- 89

A1C (<=5.6%):
6.7 ------ 5.8

Cholesterol (<=199):
164 ------ 127
(Doc had upped my dosage of Atorvastatin from 20-40mg as he said diabetics needed even lower cholesterol numbers)

HDL (>=40):
35 ----- 33

LDL(<=99)
103 ----- 68

Triglycerides (<=149)
148 ------ 144

B12 (232-1245)
(Started a supplement. In the past I knew it was pretty low. 323 back in 2017)

Vitamin D (>=20 ng/ml)
(Don't think I've had this checked before. Nutritionist had recommended checking.)

Very very happy with the results. 🤘🙂
Well my latest numbers came in and I'm surprised at how well they look. Was especially worried my blood sugar might pop back up. Also looks like my statin is doing a nice job. My diet has not been great and pretty much zero exercise other than walking the dog so I know I can do even better. Very happy with these.

On the down side I seem to be coming down with something with a sore scratchy throat. I've pretty much avoided being sick since Covid started so I guess I'm due.

6-22 / 9-19 / 1-23
Glucose 114---89---88
A1C 6.7---5.8---5.8
Cholesterol 164---127---121
HDL 35---33---34
LDL 103---68---67
Triglycerides 148---144---114
Keep it up! Not going backward is sometimes a win!!! :)

I wish I hadn’t gone backward the past 6 months — but I did. Am basically at the end of week 3 now, but prefer to measure Sunday-to-Sunday. Can see early signs of slimming down a bit (hoping to weigh in down 3.5-4 lbs on Sunday), clothes a tad looser, knees felt a tad better at basketball on Tuesday.

Staying focused on my gameplan. Healthier eating habits. More total body workout. No food late at night…..

Been a couple months, but still taking pictures.

Yesterday was my 9-month follow-up with the surgeon and his team. It's crazy to me how even from month 6 to month 9 shows a noticeable difference. I think I look a lot like my dad now.

https://imgur.com/gallery/AUBm4zW

Hag-Dad must be a studly older guy.
According to facebook, resemblance to hag-mom's side is now even stronger than ever before. Always seen that, but now I see hag-dad emerging too.

I guess I should report on my dalliance with Ozempic.

After starting around 229+ with shoes and clothes on, I'm now down to 220 as a mid-day weight with same shoes, jeans, and shirt. That means I'm pretty much down to 215-216 pounds in the morning with skivvies on.

I'm fitting into different clothes and I'm able to wear a belt that I couldn't wear for years.

I started at a .25 level injection of Ozempic, stayed with .25 for another week, went to .5, and then just injected at .5 again this Wednesday. It'll be twenty-eight days next Wednesday, so I'm losing about two and a half pounds per week, which is nice.

I have not been exercising, but I have been eating an appropriate diet. The medicine is taking care of that. I have no cravings and just eat sparingly throughout the morning and day. I will say that the indigestion and diarrhea has been a side effect and an issue. Anybody planning on taking the medication should plan for that combination.

I go for bloodwork on the 31st. We'll see how it's been controlling my A1C. I'm also going to have a LibreFree patch attached to monitor my glucose levels throughout each day via my phone. I'm hesitant to put the patch on (it attaches to the back of your arm) because of infection and lack of ease of instructions and use. So I'm going to ask the phlebotomist to do it for me when I have the blood drawn.

All in all, I'm down about ten pounds or even more with the medication on my fourth week of taking it. I think exercise, which I plan to do, will hasten results. My goal is to get to 195 pounds by April. I hope I succeed.

I'm getting a shipment of compounded semaglutide this week and will probably try it out starting Friday. My wife, her sister, and their mom tried it out months ago with pretty good effects for my wife and her sister, not as much for their mom. My wife mentioned that she was really tired when she started. I asked if she thought that was from the drug or eating less and she wasn't sure, so that's why I'll start on Friday just in case I have some initial problems. Hopefully not as bad as my wife or rockaction. :sleep::toilet:

The reason that I'm trying it out is that, at 47, I can't lose weight the way I used to. I used to always gain my winter weight through the fall/winter holidays and then on 1/1, I'd get back in the gym, on the bike, diet, etc and fairly quickly lose the weight. Not so much the last few years. And I feel like me and my body are getting used to this (~25+ lb) higher weight and I don't like it. Also, a new job where I'm travelling alot and eating out on the company card hasn't helped with diet consistency. Going to try this out to hopefully get back to setting a base of around 185 on my 6'0" frame and then going off this and focusing on diet and exercise to maintain.

Last year I hit a high point of 302 lbs. My wife had gained a lot over time and wanted to try Ozempic. She went to the doc and he had her try Adipex instead. A pill and much cheaper. She started that around June and by the time the doc took her off of it she lost 73 lbs. She has been off it for a couple months now and is maintaining her current weight. Seeing her success I went to the doc and got on the same stuff a couple weeks before Thanksgiving. This weekend I broke 260 lbs for the first time since probably 2007 range. Down 45 lbs from the high point. Had to go buy new jeans. I can't remember the last time I bought jeans NOT in the big and tall section. Granted, it was the LARGEST regular size, but I'll take that win!

Neither of us exercising. Honestly would lose more faster if I didn't enjoy bourbon more than I should. We both tracked through myfitnesspal and tried to eat healthier, lower calorie and lower carb options. We do not eat out and always make our own meals. Pack a light lunch for work.

The Wegovy gravy train is over. Insurance put the kibosh on it unless you started with a BMI of 40. I wasn't that large. Moving to phentermine next, or maybe I'll get the compounded Wegovy at nearly 300 per month. oof. So expensive even for that...

Down 42 pounds since July 2023. 25ish more to go

The Wegovy gravy train is over. Insurance put the kibosh on it unless you started with a BMI of 40. I wasn't that large. Moving to phentermine next, or maybe I'll get the compounded Wegovy at nearly 300 per month. oof. So expensive even for that...

Down 42 pounds since July 2023. 25ish more to go
Been on phentermine (Adipex) since Late November. It's been awesome. No real side effects other than harder to go to sleep. I limit my caffeine intake and make sure I don't drink any caffeine after 2pm.

Checking in with Ozempic.

Down to 208 from about 228, so twenty pounds down, really. Weighed in today mid-day, so probably more like twenty-one pounds down.

Haven't done a thing but cut portion sizes and modify diet. I got a LibreFree attached to my arm which has really helped me monitor my blood sugar (no more finger pricking, which I'm just awful at), and it has greatly influenced my diet. I'm trying to not set the alarm parameters off, so I'm really conscious about refined sugars and carbohydrates. My meat intake has also reduced by quite a bit, and I'm eating many more and a greater quantity of vegetables. This has helped to add to the weight loss I was already experiencing.

The drug and the FreeLibre have been a boon to my diet and presumably my health. I checked in last time with an A1C of 8.8 after checking in with a 6.1 the time before (I was on nightly insulin), which is awful, so they increased the dose of Ozempic and I made a vow to watch my diet. I know how to eat. The question becomes one of will, and so far over the past two weeks, I've succeeded. No more binge eating Starburst or hoovering gummy candies like they're going out of style. My average glucose is around a 120, which puts me on target for the A1C reading I want.

I hope to continue my newly-righteous dietary path and I hope to add exercise into the fold in the upcoming weeks. I would ideally like to get down to 190 pounds by the early summer here (mid-May), so I've got three months to lose about eighteen pounds. I figure I'll plateau off of diet alone and will have to undertake a workout regimen to get down to that weight. I tend to get really, really skinny at 185, so 190 seems like a good number to shoot for (BMI has never agreed with my frame or the extra half-inch added to my height at a recorded 6'0"). So 190 it is, and that's what we're going for.

But right now I'm at 208. Best of luck to all of you going through this difficult thing where we fight our slowing metabolic rate and put on pounds just by existing as we get older. Peace.

Another update, even though I was the last guy to update the thread. I was looking for this thread and couldn't find it.

I'm down to 203.6 pounds, which is down from 208.4 earlier this week. Looks like I lost a bunch of weight this week, but it was trending that way anyway and I think it just showed up on the scale this morning. So it's Thursday from the Monday update and I'm down about a reported five pounds from then.

Hmmm . . . I'm wondering what brought that about, but that's what the scale says. It would seem that is too much weight to lose, but it hasn't been that much since I started, I guess. Regardless, the weight is falling off.

I'll report back next week with any changes. I tend to lose weight really quickly once I start (it happened last time I lost a bunch of weight in 2012), but I'll be on the lookout for anything that seems unhealthy.

This drug is interesting. Too bad 2/3rds of people gain it back once they go off of the drug, or so I've heard.

Last edited:
Another update, even though I was the last guy to update the thread. I was looking for this thread and couldn't find it.

I'm down to 203.6 pounds, which is down from 208.4 earlier this week. Looks like I lost a bunch of weight this week, but it was trending that way anyway and I think it just showed up on the scale this morning. So it's Thursday from the Monday update and I'm down about a reported five pounds from then.

Hmmm . . . I'm wondering what brought that about, but that's what the scale says. It would seem that is too much weight to lose, but it hasn't been that much since I started, I guess. Regardless, the weight is falling off.

I'll report back next week with any changes. I tend to lose weight really quickly once I start (it happened last time I lost a bunch of weight in 2012), but I'll be on the lookout for anything that seems unhealthy.

This drug is interesting. Too bad 2/3rds of people gain it back once they go off of the drug, or so I've heard.
Glad to hear it is working for you Rock!

You might be less hydrated. I find my weight is all over the place with 3-5 pound differences in just a day or two. While the trend is down, sometimes I'll hit a new low and then not see that number for two more weeks. I figure it's just hydration or being all cleared out via #2s.

As far as people gaining the weight back, I haven't looked at the studies but since this was originally not a weight loss drug I assume most of the folks they are referencing weren't even trying to lose weight. They didn't change their habits and of course gained it back when they went off it. Some of us are motivated not to be obese again. If I start to creep up once I'm off of this, I intend to go back on it, or use phentermine, or get liposuction. I don't want to be obese ever again.

I'm getting a shipment of compounded semaglutide this week and will probably try it out starting Friday. My wife, her sister, and their mom tried it out months ago with pretty good effects for my wife and her sister, not as much for their mom. My wife mentioned that she was really tired when she started. I asked if she thought that was from the drug or eating less and she wasn't sure, so that's why I'll start on Friday just in case I have some initial problems. Hopefully not as bad as my wife or rockaction. :sleep::toilet:

The reason that I'm trying it out is that, at 47, I can't lose weight the way I used to. I used to always gain my winter weight through the fall/winter holidays and then on 1/1, I'd get back in the gym, on the bike, diet, etc and fairly quickly lose the weight. Not so much the last few years. And I feel like me and my body are getting used to this (~25+ lb) higher weight and I don't like it. Also, a new job where I'm travelling alot and eating out on the company card hasn't helped with diet consistency. Going to try this out to hopefully get back to setting a base of around 185 on my 6'0" frame and then going off this and focusing on diet and exercise to maintain.
This stuff is kinda amazing. No cravings, fuller faster when eating, no side effects (so far?).
Initial suggestion was for 50 mL weekly. I did 25 mL on 2/23, started feeling some cravings so 25 mL again on 2/27.
Got all the way to 3/3 still feeling pretty good with no cravings but did another 25 mL on 3/3.
If I don't build up resistance, may be able to stretch this out and reduce anticipated cost a bit.

I went to the doctor in October 2023 and found out I had (at best) fatty liver and a very concerning lipid panel. Told to limit carbs, red meat, pork, sugar, and processed foods. Weighed in at 234.4 the next morning. I am 6' even. I have not had a drop of alcohol, not a bit of pork or red meat, and the only sugar I have had is from unprocessed fruits. I have had no simple carbs. Weighed in this morning at 199.7. My next doctor's appointment is at the end of April with a blood panel done a week prior. I hope to be lower 190s by then. No drugs, just changing my habits and by consequence changing my palette.

The plan was to get to 190 by April with just changes to habits. No active calorie counting. So far, so good.

My wife says that I am a stubborn rule follower, which helps a lot with a life change like this. She encourages me to have cheat days, I got excited, but she clarified that means with my diet... less excited. I have yet to cheat, and have not yet been tempted, even with a house full of my old temptations.

I'm 38. 5'10. I live in Florida.

July 2022: Weighed in at 268 with a plan to lose weight. I don't think I stuck with it for more than a week.
------------------------
July 15th, 2023: 261.4
August 24th: 237.6
September 29th: 218.6
October 18th: 213.2
November 18th: 199.8 - Oh Yeah!
December 19th: 195.2
January 16th: 196.6

I hit a new low on April 12th: 184.8

Total Loss: 76.6 pounds

I had a week of debauchery in March (guys trip), but it only took about 10 days of being back on the diet to get back to where I was before the vacation. I've been hovering around 185 for a while now. Even when I have a cheat meal or day, I don't just balloon back up. I think I've managed to reset my baseline weight.

I've been having more "normal" dinners (once or twice a week) instead of being so strict with Nurisystem, and I've actually found myself feeling truly hungry, for the first time since I started this back in July. Which, I think is actually a good sign. Feels good.

I've been offtrack for a while. I need to get back to it soon. Been dealing with a sudden onset of neuropathy of some sort in my feet. Been dealing with it pretty much constantly for almost 2 months now. Still trying to get it diagnosed properly working through various tests. Hopefully just upping the walking and eating better will at the very least get my body in better shape to deal with it if not help turn it around.

I've been offtrack for a while. I need to get back to it soon. Been dealing with a sudden onset of neuropathy of some sort in my feet. Been dealing with it pretty much constantly for almost 2 months now. Still trying to get it diagnosed properly working through various tests. Hopefully just upping the walking and eating better will at the very least get my body in better shape to deal with it if not help turn it around.
No way, really?

I have a case of foot drop in my right foot, onset at the end of February. Also not fully diagnosed yet, running through a battery of tests. I can’t imagine both! Get better soon, I hope they figure something out for you.

No way, really?

I have a case of foot drop in my right foot, onset at the end of February. Also not fully diagnosed yet, running through a battery of tests. I can’t imagine both! Get better soon, I hope they figure something out for you.
Thanks. You too. Getting older sucks. 😂

Ultrasound of the legs was normal. Nerve conduction test also not showing anything significant. Blood work for B12, Folate, and Thyroid normal. MRI of the lower spine next. I do know 10 years ago with my last MRI I had some disc narrowing. Doc seemed to think it could be diabetic neuropathy but the conduction test not showing neuropathy. IDK. I did pop up into official diabetic territory and then lost a few lbs and back down to pre-diabetic. Latest was a small increase again to like 6.1.

I read that statins have possibly been shown to cause this, with atorvastatin (the one I'm on) as one of the two most common to do so. I stopped taking mine at the moment just to see back on March 25th. Doc doesn't seem to think that could cause and said I should probably go back on it soon.

Spring/summer diet starts today. Limited fast food (instead of 3-4 times a week). Eating at places like Chipotle (protein bowl) or Flame Broiler (brown rice, chicken, veggies). No more beer. Walking around my business park when I am in the office, twice daily. Going for long walks in the early evenings around my neighborhood. Will try getting to the gym. I am incredibly fat and feel terrible. Time to change it up.

Have read zero of this thread, so I have no clue if anyone may have useful advice.

Last August I started eating healthier and working out regularly. I dropped about 40 lbs and have maintained that, hitting the gym about 5x week, eating a reasonably healthy diet and cutting out liquor (still drink some light beer and/or wine on weekends). I really want to drop about 10 more, but it seems like my body has hit a set point. Not interested in weight loss drugs or gimmicks. Thoughts on shedding the last 20% of my goal?

Have read zero of this thread, so I have no clue if anyone may have useful advice.

Last August I started eating healthier and working out regularly. I dropped about 40 lbs and have maintained that, hitting the gym about 5x week, eating a reasonably healthy diet and cutting out liquor (still drink some light beer and/or wine on weekends). I really want to drop about 10 more, but it seems like my body has hit a set point. Not interested in weight loss drugs or gimmicks. Thoughts on shedding the last 20% of my goal?
I wish I had the time/energy/drive to do this. I just despise the gym. I have never been a "weightlifter". When I go to the gym, I'll spend an hour between the treadmill, elliptical and stationary bike. And I may do some very light weights where everyone goes to stretch. This time last year I was going 2-3 days a week, and now that I've started my little diet/workout regime again, I'll try to go at least once a week.

I'm not an expert but the last 10 pounds is always the hardest for anyone. The body is both stubborn but amazing. It doesn't want you to starve.

My only real advice is if you feel your current regimen won't get you there then here's some things you could consider:
  • Not sure when you lift if you lift heavy but focus on that (without injuring yourself!)
  • Sprinting. Walking is great but I think sprinting not only burns the calories IRT but also keeps them burning by upping your metabolism
  • Cut out all the beer - maybe occasional wine
  • Do intermittent fasting to reduce your feeding window
  • Low carb seems to help some with stubborn weight - especially if your healthy diet was not low-carb already- switch it up. You may consider this gimmicky but in general I think there's some limited evidence to throwing your body a curveball occasionally

It’s tough to give concrete advice without knowing what you consider a “reasonably healthy” diet, but in general:

Eat more fruits and veggies. Big salads are a godsend here, as long as you don’t douse them in calorically-dense dressing.
Eat less animal products. Treat meat as a side, instead of the main course.
Drink more water, especially prior to meals.
Avoid consuming liquid calories as much as possible - booze, froufrou coffee, soft drinks, etc.
Stop eating before you’re full (like 80% full), and don’t eat late in the day/close to bed time.

While diet is the primary determinant of weight, increasing activity level certainly can’t hurt. I try to make things inconvenient by driving less, walking for short errands, taking stairs, and intentionally going for walks during down time at work.

And I’d favor cardiovascular exercise over muscle building in the gym; the optimal ratio (for mortality benefit) is roughly ~10:1 cardiovascular:strength training.

The simple answer is to decrease your calories and/or increase your cardio. Either one of those will help you lose that 10 pounds.

Find a rowing machine and use it often. Combo cardio/resistance will get you through the stall.

Find a rowing machine and use it often. Combo cardio/resistance will get you through the stall.
Also time. Eventually, if you maintain a deficit you will lose again.

I’d honestly say it’s probably that beer/wine. You really want to lose that last 10-20 that’s the ticket.

The alcohol is always my biggest vice. Hello darkness my old friend.

That's really the basis of the question. I lost 40 lbs through diet and exercise. I am maintaining a slight calorie deficit But went from a steady weight loss to hitting a set point. I agree that over time I should be able to get to my goal weight by continuing to do what I'm doing, but I'm not sure why the plateau and whether I need to change things up.

No, I'm not giving up enjoying a couple light beers on the weekends or wine with dinner here or there. I'd rather be fat.

I have access to a rowing machine and have used it a couple times. I just don't enjoy it. Part of the way I've approached exercise over the last 9 months is to do things I enjoy, or at least that I don't hate. That's part of how I've been able to get myself to the gym 5 times a week. The rowing machine does kick my butt, so I suppose that means it works and it's hitting muscle groups that I'm not otherwise working. I guess I'll try to hit it more often.

The information out there is very contradictory about the ratio of cardio to resistance for weight loss. I'm leaning toward just increasing cardio and keeping the resistance the same, which means more of a time commitment and also leads to the "doing things I don't like" issue. Right now my cardio is mostly elliptical machine and walking. My knees aren't in the best condition from years of aggressive skiing and some very old soccer injuries. Running and stair climbing aren't in the picture. Rowing machine is not great on the knees, but tolerable.

Users who are viewing this thread