What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fujita to be waived? (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/s...fs/12436597.htm

Fujita makes impact as reserve

Two-year starter now may be battling for a roster spot

By SAM MELLINGER

The Kansas City Star

So, this is what it’s come to. Scott Fujita, the Chiefs’ leading tackler two years running, is playing, literally, for his livelihood.

The starting left outside linebacker for the better part of three seasons is this close to being beat out by, among others, undrafted rookie Kris Griffin.

“I thought he did a pretty good job,” Chiefs coach **** Vermeil said of Fujita. “I saw him make some plays.”

The latest bad omen came on the opening series of the Chiefs’ 24-17 preseason loss to Arizona on Saturday at Arrowhead Stadium.

Even with a scratch list 25 players deep — five of them linebackers — Fujita didn’t start when the Chiefs’ defense took the field. You knew hotshot first-round draft pick Derrick Johnson would be starting in Fujita’s customary left outside linebacker spot.

But with Kendrell Bell sitting out because of injury, perhaps Fujita could have started on the other side. Instead, it was Griffin on the field with the Chiefs’ top defenders.

The second bad omen had Fujita on the field until the very end, scratching it out with all the dreamers.

It wasn’t all bad for Fujita. Not by a long shot. He pressured Kurt Warner in the first half, stripped running back J.J. Arrington on Arizona’s second possession, and ran down running back Marcel Shipp from behind in the second half. All told, Fujita finished with a game-high seven tackles and a forced fumble, plus played special teams.

Arizona backup quarterback Josh McCown did juke Fujita out of a potential sack in the fourth quarter, but still, Fujita’s performance was worthy of a fourth-year NFL veteran. It was certainly above a guy having to worry about his employment.

Fujita is healed from April surgery to repair his injured right ankle. He was one of the first out of the locker room after the game, walking out the back door before he could be reached for comment.

“That guy, to me, is just a specimen,” said Gary Stills, listed third-string, just behind Fujita at left outside linebacker. “He’s just a very, very intelligent man, and what happened with his ankle injury, I think he’s surprised some people coming back this fast. If it doesn’t work for him here, I know he’ll have a job somewhere else.”

Fujita has been on the other side of this story, too. He arrived at California as a walk-on safety, a two-sport high school star looking for a chance. He left as a beefed up linebacker and fifth-round draft choice of the Chiefs.

He made an immediate impact, even it was for one of the league’s worst defenses. Fujita led the Chiefs in tackles in 2003 with 151, and again in 2004 with 112. That total in 2003 is the fifth-highest in franchise history.

He is a bright guy, once worthy of Ivy League recruitment. And he’s a heck of an athlete, once the winner of a slam-dunk contest held at halftime of a high school all-star basketball game.

The thinking is that Fujita just isn’t defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham’s kind of guy, and may be replaced by a better athlete who’s able to control more ground.

Someone, perhaps, like Griffin.

“We’ll just have to wait and see,” Vermeil said. “The thing about a person like Scott Fujita is he’s a tremendous competitor. And he’s just becoming healthy.”

When the defense has sucked as horribly as it as the past few years while you were the starting LB you can't really expect a whole lot. He should be fighting it out to even make them, although he does have experience and that will likely play a factor.

Taken from today's PFT:In response to our report from this morning regarding the private concerns within K.C. that signing linebacker Kendrell Bell to a long-term, big-bonus deal might have been a mistake, a league source with knowledge of Bell's career in Pittsburgh tells us that Bell has a "really bad shoulder" and that the joint "will not hold up" this season. Within the first few days of free agency, there was a report that Bell was in New York and had left abruptly. Per the source, Bell had actually agreed to terms with the Giants, but then the Giants pulled out due to the results of his physical. On top on his health concerns, Bell is in the process of moving from inside linebacker in the 3-4 to outside linebacker in the 4-3. Although, in some respects, the positions are equivalent since the outside 'backer in a 3-4 mimics a defensive end in a 4-3, the fact remains that Bell is working his way into a new defensive scheme with at least one old injury that might prevent him from ever being as effective as he once was in Pittsburgh. So, in the end, his name likely will be added to the list of former Steeler linebackers who left via free agency but were never as good with their new teams.

Fujita seems like a Patriots kind of player. I honestly wouldnt be surpised to see him land there if he gets cut, especially if the injury to Vrabel ends up being serious.

Fujita seems like a Patriots kind of player. I honestly wouldnt be surpised to see him land there if he gets cut, especially if the injury to Vrabel ends up being serious.
I would think another place could be Cleveland. They could definitely use some help in the LB Corp.

I doubt Fujita will be cut. Gunther may not like him, but Vermiel does. He'll have to play on special teams this year, until an injury occurs, but his presence provides both quality depth and a ST player.BUT, if he is, there's a whole lot of teams out there that could look his way.I'll add Detroit to the mix. Put Fujita at SLB and slide Bailey over to WLB.

I doubt Fujita will be cut. Gunther may not like him, but Vermiel does. He'll have to play on special teams this year, until an injury occurs, but his presence provides both quality depth and a ST player.

BUT, if he is, there's a whole lot of teams out there that could look his way.

I'll add Detroit to the mix. Put Fujita at SLB and slide Bailey over to WLB.
CLE and NE I can see as well as Indy but DET is just fine at WLB with Davis and Lewis backing him up. If Bailey were better he would have been moved some time ago and Lehman would have stayed at SLB.Tom

Well, at least Fujita last longer than The Maz...

Chiefs | Maslowski Released

Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:10:31 -0700

The Kansas City Chiefs have announced the release of LB Mike Maslowski (knee).

so this leaves Grigsby backing up Mitchell?Dangerously thin at LB with Bell, dinged

Tom

so this leaves Grigsby backing up Mitchell?Dangerously thin at LB with Bell, dinged

Tom
I'm assuming Scanlon would get the call if Mitchell gets hurt or underperforms dramatically. The Chiefs would also have the option of moving Bell inside (assuming he ever becomes healthy) and having Fox take Bell's OLB gig. If Barber ever gets healthy, he could beat Fox to the punch.I honestly doubt Maslowski was viewed as a contributor for the '05 season. Out of respect for Maslowski's hustle and monster '02 campaign, the Chiefs probably granted Maslowski one more shot to make a comeback. Unfortunately for Maslowski, his knees did not get the notice.

Tom
I'm assuming Scanlon would get the call if Mitchell gets hurt or underperforms dramatically. The Chiefs would also have the option of moving Bell inside (assuming he ever becomes healthy) and having Fox take Bell's OLB gig. If Barber ever gets healthy, he could beat Fox to the punch.I honestly doubt Maslowski was viewed as a contributor for the '05 season. Out of respect for Maslowski's hustle and monster '02 campaign, the Chiefs probably granted Maslowski one more shot to make a comeback. Unfortunately for Maslowski, his knees did not get the notice.
There's talk that he could come back if no team signs him. IMO his playing days are over, but he would be a nice addition to the coaching staff.

Users who are viewing this thread