What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gabbert Starting for JAX Week 4 (1 Viewer)

just_want_2_win

Footballguy
Jaguars coach Gus Bradley announced Monday Blaine Gabbert will return as the team's starting quarterback in Week 4 against the Colts.
Cecil Shorts gobbled up 16 catches and 236 yards on a league-high 29 targets during Chad Henne's two starts. Gabbert's hand laceration is now healed, which will make Shorts a dicier fantasy play. Gabbert struggled to deliver footballs Shorts' way throughout 2012, and in Week 1 completed only 3-of-10 throws for 40 yards in Shorts' direction. Gabbert doesn't give Jacksonville its best chance to win, but they're not necessarily concerned with 2013 wins. This team is squarely in the hunt to go 0-16. Fire up Indy's fantasy defense.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6451/blaine-gabbert

How is this guy still in the league? If you took the worst traits from all the QB busts of the last 10 years, he has them all.

Jaguars coach Gus Bradley announced Monday Blaine Gabbert will return as the team's starting quarterback in Week 4 against the Colts.
Cecil Shorts gobbled up 16 catches and 236 yards on a league-high 29 targets during Chad Henne's two starts. Gabbert's hand laceration is now healed, which will make Shorts a dicier fantasy play. Gabbert struggled to deliver footballs Shorts' way throughout 2012, and in Week 1 completed only 3-of-10 throws for 40 yards in Shorts' direction. Gabbert doesn't give Jacksonville its best chance to win, but they're not necessarily concerned with 2013 wins. This team is squarely in the hunt to go 0-16. Fire up Indy's fantasy defense.
RW keeps saying some version of this, someday they might actually do the research and figure out that they are wrong.

RW keeps saying some version of this, someday they might actually do the research and figure out that they are wrong.
Yes, it was the emergence of Blackmon, not the presence of Gabbert, that was the big factor in hurting Shorts' numbers last year.

Shorts's numbers were neither helped nor hurt by the presence of Gabbert or Henne last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
zamboni said:
Wadsworth said:
just_want_2_win said:
Yes, it was the emergence of Blackmon, not the presence of Gabbert, that was the big factor in hurting Shorts' numbers last year.
It was more the fact that Shorts was not a starter until the Oakland game in 2012 and previously played limited stats. It seems that a lot of people look at Cecil's numbers early in the year with Gabbert and ignore that fact that Shorts was often not on field. The reality is that Shorts produced very well with Gabbert early in the season relative to field time.

Bradley also said they wanted to simplify offense to "free' Gabbert some more.

perhaps more importantly he also said there's a good chance that Marcedes lewis could be back this week.

Quite honestly until they fix the middle of that line, it really doesn't matter who's back there when your guard and center get pushed back into the QB lap every pass.

zamboni said:
Wadsworth said:
just_want_2_win said:

I don't think Blackmon's emergence had much of an effect on Shorts' production. They started alongside each other for 8 of the last 9 games, and Shorts averaged 87 yards and .5 TDs.

TwinTurbo said:
How is this guy still in the league? If you took the worst traits from all the QB busts of the last 10 years, he has them all.
This turd will need to step up his suckitude to actually be worse than Cowardly David Carr. Right now thru 25 games it's pretty even statwise.

I was gonna start shorts over J. bell until I read this news, Gabbert just completely sucks and he will kill any value for Shorts.... he is much better with Henne.

My bigger concerns about Shorts are Blackmon and Shorts' concussion history.

I do think Gabbert brings down the whole offense though, more than even Henne. From that perspective, his starting isn't the best news.

I was gonna start shorts over J. bell until I read this news, Gabbert just completely sucks and he will kill any value for Shorts.... he is much better with Henne.
Suit yourself. When Shorts and Gabbert have both started, Shorts has averaged 79 yards and .4 TDs, and that includes the game against KC this year. That projects to 1267 yards and 6-7 TDs, which would have ranked him 14th among WRs last season.

yep exactly tank they will. Gabbert is awful, he makes Hoyer look like a stud. This is bad news for Shorts owners but I may have no choice... Its shorts, white or j. bell???? what do I do this is terrible.

yep exactly tank they will. Gabbert is awful, he makes Hoyer look like a stud. This is bad news for Shorts owners but I may have no choice... Its shorts, white or j. bell???? what do I do this is terrible.
Have you been reading this forum at all? Shorts does fine with Gabbert. Theres no statistical evidence that shows that Shorts did a lot worse with Gabbert..

he avg almost 90 with henne...
If you include the Houston game (where both Henne and Gabbert played), Shorts averaged 93 yards and .43 TDs with Henne -- better averages than Gabbert, but not by much.
In the Oakland game last year Shorts had around 80 and a TD in the first quarter with Gabbert and almost nothing the rest of the game with Henne. If you break it down to targets or snaps with either QB his production has been almost exactly the same.

Have you been reading this forum at all? Shorts does fine with Gabbert. Theres no statistical evidence that shows that Shorts did a lot worse with Gabbert..
wrong pal

The two hooked up on just three passes for 40 yards in Week 1, though Shorts' 10 targets did lead the team. Over the last two seasons, Shorts is averaging 3.2 catches for 62.0 yards and 0.5 touchdowns when Gabbert starts compared to 6.5 catches for 95.5 yards and 0.3 touchdowns when Henne starts.

wrong pal

The two hooked up on just three passes for 40 yards in Week 1, though Shorts' 10 targets did lead the team. Over the last two seasons, Shorts is averaging 3.2 catches for 62.0 yards and 0.5 touchdowns when Gabbert starts compared to 6.5 catches for 95.5 yards and 0.3 touchdowns when Henne starts.
You cannot reasonably ignore the fact that Shorts was starting for every game with Henne and not a starter for most of those games with Gabbert. Short did not start until the Oakland game last season and had around 60 and a TD in the first quarter with Gabbert before the QB got injured. Blaine only played about 12 quarters last season with Shorts as a starter. On the other hand Shorts was the starter for every quarter he played with Henne last season. It is hard for Blaine to have production with Shorts when Shorts is not on the field. If you look at the first five games, Shorts actually had very impressive production with Gabbert when you consider he was playing limited snaps.

As long as Shorts keeps getting 10+ targets per game he will be productive. He should be getting in the end zone soon.

Users who are viewing this thread