What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Going on an Alaskan Cruise - Ever Been? (1 Viewer)

Terpman22

Footballguy
Booked one up for this May. My buddy in the biz gets discounts and he invited me the wife and kid to join him for his 40th birthday celebration.

Anyone ever go on one of these? Mainly curious about excursions and stuff like seeing animals etc.

Thanks!

Yes. It was awesome. Make sure your excursions get you out of the tourist trap of the port you dock in. We did a "4WD" excursion where you drove yourself. We loved it. The amount of off roading we did was going down a dirt road and crossing a trickling stream. It was about 4 hours and we went back into Canada seeing lots of wildlife. It was outstanding.....but I wasn't expecting heavy off roading. A couple other couples were pissed and hated it because they thought it was going to be heavy off road driving. I have no idea how they thought a cruise excursion group was going to let some yahoo cruiser people to drive themselves in heavy off roading but they apparently did.

Last edited:
I've been trying to find one that sails out of Los Angeles in the summer but there's not much there. Gotta go to San Francisco or Seattle.

Fantastic vacation! The best excursion for me was a sea plane tour of the Misty Fjord from Ketchikan. For part of the journey, we were able to land in a remote mountain lake where it wouldn't be possible to travel to by other means. We spent about a half hour there walking around. So incredibly peaceful and serene.

I’ll be on one in May too. Never been before. Not really a cruise guy either. Super stoked about it. First ever big family trip. My 5, my parents and my sister and her family. We shall see…

I’ll be on one in May too. Never been before. Not really a cruise guy either. Super stoked about it. First ever big family trip. My 5, my parents and my sister and her family. We shall see…
Same here. May 19th out of Vancouver. Skagway we signed up for a Yukon tour to Emerald Lake (furthest we could get to, looks like). Juneau whale watching. Ketchican we'll wing it. Once in Alaska we're headed to Seward and doing a couple days of kayaking and ice hiking in Kenai Fjords.

We did one on Disney Cruise Line in 2014 with some fellow Disney-obsessed friends. Sailed out of Vancouver. Saw lots of glaciers. Spent a lot of time just looking at the scenery from the boat. My son, then as now, was obsessed with trains, so we did the Skagway railway excursion to the Yukon border, on a line that was built during the Yukon Gold Rush. I was sick the day we docked in Juneau and I don't remember what excursion they did. We did not book an excursion for Ketchican, which was just as well because it was pouring rain. We went into a couple of stores and then got back on the boat.

Yeah, each town you dock in are just basically movie set villages with a couple of bars, knick-knack shops, coffee, and a lotta jewelry stores pushing tanzanite.

Think when I went to Ketchican circa 2003, they had a store selling "Ketchican Brewery" t-shirts only there was no brewery nor any beer to be purchased.

So, you need a plan or an excursion while you dock, or you'll be bored outta your brains.

Same here. May 19th out of Vancouver. Skagway we signed up for a Yukon tour to Emerald Lake (furthest we could get to, looks like). Juneau whale watching. Ketchican we'll wing it. Once in Alaska we're headed to Seward and doing a couple days of kayaking and ice hiking in Kenai Fjords.
Took that trip...beautiful scenery along the way. We did a little dog sledding activity near Carcross on that tour which was neat. The Carcross desert is an interesting site too. It seems so out of place.

Took one about a decade ago. Some general observations/comments:
-go on the excursions or rent a car and explore on your own. There isn't a lot to do otherwise in a lot of the stops.
- make sure you get a room with at least a window, balcony would be ideal. One of my favorite things was going out each morning to take in the fresh air. Crazy clean and crisp.
- be sure to pack a GOOD rain coat. It rains a lot in a few cities (Ketchikan for sure). That said, a second pair of shoes is also highly recommended. Hairdryer is only so good at drying shoes.
- We rented a car in Ketchikan and free formed the day- best decision. Head towards the totem poles first and get through seeing those before the tourist buses show up. Then keep going in that same direction until the road ends (couple miles more IIRC) There's a trail there to go walk. Super easy walk unless it's pouring, but the views are AMAZING as you end up at the coast. Best part is no tour buses stop there so it's just you and maybe another group who did the same thing. Head back to town and go past, there's a rock filled bay past town you can get out and stretch your legs/look for cool rocks.
- we did the dog sledding in Juneau (in June). They have a 'sled' on wheels that the dogs pull. My kids (5,8 at the time) loved it. Wish we had a little more time as there's actually things to go see/shop.
- took the train in skagway- beautiful views, but pretty meh (unless you've never been on a train before).
- if you have a stop in vancouver I recommend Butchart Gardens. I'm not a huge plant/flower/landscape guy but this place is gorgeous. The sunken garden area is something out of a fairytale.

The comment above about movie set cities is very accurate. Very touristy Ketchikan and Skagway definitely fit that description.

We leave out of Seattle on May 25th. I'm not sure of all our details yet...kid of at the mercy of my parents and my kids. We're just along for the ride. We're doing a helicopter tour to a glacier and a dog sled trip.

We had a 6-month old with us so it limited our excursion opportunities quite a bit. Were I to go back, I would LOVE to go panning for gold. That sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Went like 20 years ago. Enjoyed it at the time but honestly favorite part was before and after the trip as we spent time in Vancouver and in Denali national park (both were amazing). On the cruise the real highlight was a helicopter excursion where we landed on a glacier. Would recomend balcony on cruise as well as remember seeing whales from it and also watching glacier calving. I thought the towns we visited on cruise were all tourist traps and not worth it. Also, panning for gold sucked so would skp that (GM you didn't miss anything).

Went like 20 years ago. Enjoyed it at the time but honestly favorite part was before and after the trip as we spent time in Vancouver and in Denali national park (both were amazing). On the cruise the real highlight was a helicopter excursion where we landed on a glacier. Would recomend balcony on cruise as well as remember seeing whales from it and also watching glacier calving. I thought the towns we visited on cruise were all tourist traps and not worth it. Also, panning for gold sucked so would skp that (GM you didn't miss anything).
What did you do in Vancouver?

I know this was directed to someone else, but I'll chime in anyway. We went to The Butchart Gardens. I am not much for gardens and such, it was a pretty cool place. I am sure my wife enjoyed it more than me, but it was a nice walk around the grounds with a lot of beautiful things to look at. I suppose the time of year makes a difference as to what the experience would be like. We were there in the summer. They had a gelato place by the Italian Gardens. The kids liked that part the most.

Yeah, Vancouver is a terrific city. Spent a little time there in my early 20s pre-internet and cell phone....business trips. What squandered time!!!! Current me would love to go back to Vancouver and spend some time exploring.

Going for the first time in June with family (5 of us). Excited to go whale watching in Juneau. Probably do the short train ride in Skagway; need to find other things. My initial hunch to wing it in Ketchikan sounds right.

I mentioned the float plane ride in Ketchikan up thread...highlight of the cruise for me. But we also caught the lumberjack show in Ketchikan. It was a little cheesy, but at the same time it was entertaining. There are 2 teams competing in different competitions. They get the crowd worked up and into the action by dividing the crowd with the teams. It seemed to be a mix of some genuine competitiveness along with some scripted action. The kids enjoyed it.

I know this was directed to someone else, but I'll chime in anyway. We went to The Butchart Gardens. I am not much for gardens and such, it was a pretty cool place. I am sure my wife enjoyed it more than me, but it was a nice walk around the grounds with a lot of beautiful things to look at. I suppose the time of year makes a difference as to what the experience would be like. We were there in the summer. They had a gelato place by the Italian Gardens. The kids liked that part the most.
Butchart Gardens is in Victoria, not Vancouver.

Thanks. Paranoid me with the current airline reliability made flights to be in Vancouver for a day before the cruise the next day. That way if flights go nutballs we have a good bit of leeway (day and a half).

Thanks. Paranoid me with the current airline reliability made flights to be in Vancouver for a day before the cruise the next day. That way if flights go nutballs we have a good bit of leeway (day and a half).
Oops

you should always fly in minimum 1 day before your cruise starts

If anyone is in Vancouver and wants to meet up for a beer before their cruise , let me know.

side note , if anyone needs help with booking a cruise or any vacation, now a full time TA for the last 4 years. Sold everything about 10 years and travelled into the money ran out and needed to do something with my life.

I've been researching an Alaska trip but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Eyeing next summer.

One note for some of these excursions above that are a bit dated. Some of the ports have had recent flood damage. Skagway was closed most of last year. Do some research before relying on notes from a decade ago.

Butchart Gardens is really nice. After the cruise, I stayed a couple of days in Vancouver. One of the days, we booked a bus tour that took us Victoria. They dropped us off for a few hours to explore downtown Victoria and then took us over to Butchart Gardens.

I shared link to thread earlier where I went through my cruise itinerary several years ago. But to say a bit more here, I think my favorite overall excursion on the cruise was the Tracy Arm fjord excursion in Juneau. Scenery cruising down the fjord was incredible, got to witness a lot of calving of the glaciers, and even had some bonus whale watching, as saw some killer whales on that one.

Definitely pay the extra for the balcony. There are places while cruising where can see the whales — nothing more convenient than just sipping some coffee on your balcony and looking out for them.

My experience trying to do a helicopter landing on a glacier was not great. Weather did not cooperate, but they would not cancel it (so, I could not cancel myself without forfeiting my deposit) until just before it was time, and, by that point, I was unable to book any alternative excursion. So, got stuck without an excursion that day.

It was 20 years ago so details are a bit vague but just remember it was a great city with awesome vibes. Stanley Park is just a huge park right on the water that I remember just enjoying with my wife (this was all before kids). Gastown was also a great neighborhood and we had an amazing dinner there (though can't recall name of place). It is definately on a list of places I want to go back to.

Black dot. The family and has been talking about doing this for a few years and we just haven't pulled the trigger

Last edited:
Ok, so we went back in 2017 on Holland America Cruise (HAL). It was my wife and then 12 year old son. It was an amazing trip. I also think we hit some fantastic excursions so I'll detail what we did. I haven't looked at or researched what's still available and whether or not some of these are specific to HAL or not. This might be long and I'm just going to throw out thoughts as they come up. Feel free to ask questions

-- We flew into Seattle, spent a couple days there and then took a train up to Vancouver. The 4 hour train ride was very nice and a nice way to start the vacation. Our vacation was an 10 day total trip with a 7 day cruise (northbound, obviously) and 3 day land portion.
-- If you are going in only one direction (north or south), make sure you get a room that's on the land side of whichever direction you're traveling. Having a balcony is worth the upgrade, IMO. The views are incredible at times just from the ship. Taken from our balcony. If not already booked, going in one direction would be my preference.
-- Our cruise hit the Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay and finished in Anchorage. We then went to Denali. I can't speak to any other ports
-- Ketchikan -- We did 2 excursions here. The first was a Float Plane over the Misty Fjord. This was spectacular. You fly over the land and then land on a secluded lake then fly back. The second excursion was a Crab Feast at George Inlet Lodge. I 100% recommend doing this. Do not miss it if you have the chance. It remains one of our most memorable meals we've ever had and we still talk about it to this day.
-- Juneau -- We did a combo whale watching, Mendenhall Glacier, and Orca Point Lounge tour. Some amazing stuff we saw including orcas right next to our boat. The glacier was fantastic to see.
-- Skagway -- My wife did a rock climbing excursion while my son and I did a helicopter ride to a glacier and sled dog experience. She doesn't do helicopters so she didn't come along. This was the highlight of the trip. You get to land on a remote glacier where the dogs all camp and then get to ride with dogs that do the 1000 mile races. It was our most expensive excursion and I would do it again without hesitation. If you can do this and can swing it, please go do it.

We then did a hike and float on the Chilkoot. Pretty cool stuff where you hike a couple miles then a lazy 3 mile float down the river. Just a neat way to experience the environment there.

Glacier Bay -- Pretty cool stuff to see. Words and pictures don't do it justice.

We then landed in Anchorage and did the 3 day land portion. Here's what I will say about this:

Denali -- Denali is utterly amazing. We got to see all the major animals (grizzly, moose, sheep, caribou and wolves) including a grizzly bear that walked right next to our bus and me, the idiot, hanging out the window to film it.

That said, there's a big downside to Denali. In order to get there, we took an 8 hour train ride from Anchorage to Denali. That took up the whole day. Then, to get into Denali, you sit on a bus all day that takes 4 hours driving in and 4 hours driving back. Then, since we were flying out of Anchorage, you take another 8 hour train ride back to Anchorage. So, the 3 days is 3 days of sitting, and, while you see some amazing stuff, it's a long time of traveling and not getting to get up and move around much. So I'm always hesitant to recommend it. And I don't think there's a better way to minimize that, but I just don't know.

Other random thoughts -- Prices are on the expensive side for things like food and whatnot. Anchorage was pretty meh. Pretty sterile overall, IMO, but we didn't go around much. We did hit an awesome ice cream shop though. Weather was very tolerable being there in June. Bring a good camera as it's worth it. Oh, and you'll get tired of seeing bald eagles by the end of your trip. But they are still pretty cool.

Alaska cruise was one of my favorite vacations ever and I want to go again with our girls in the next few years so they can experience it as well. Feel free to ask any questions and hope this helps.

Last edited:
Going for the first time in June with family (5 of us). Excited to go whale watching in Juneau. Probably do the short train ride in Skagway; need to find other things. My initial hunch to wing it in Ketchikan sounds right.

The whale watching trip is one of the coolest things I've ever done. In my head, I figured I'd see some whales from a distance....no, no.....they come up right next to the boats. It's amazing. AND - chances are you'll also get to see bears roaming on the shore looking for food and bald eagles everywhere. They're like big crows out there, just all over the place. You're in for a real treat if you're a nature lover.

Butchart Gardens is in Victoria, not Vancouver.

Yeah, but time permitting you can take the ferry over and back to check it out. Think the ferry is 90 minutes or so but really cool.

The whale watching trip is one of the coolest things I've ever done. In my head, I figured I'd see some whales from a distance....no, no.....they come up right next to the boats. It's amazing. AND - chances are you'll also get to see bears roaming on the shore looking for food and bald eagles everywhere. They're like big crows out there, just all over the place. You're in for a real treat if you're a nature lover.
I actually feed all the crows in my neighborhood along with a few squirrels I have "trained" to eat out of my hand. See if I can do the same with some Eagles...(joking). Big nature lover so I'm definitely going to do one of those. One of the best experiences I've ever had was taking a dog sled to a natural hot springs in Jackson Hole. Definitely looking to doing another dog sled experience as well, although the hot springs won't happen haha. Plus, I LOVE huskies. Appreciate all the responses!

Did Inside Passage from Vancouver to Seward/Anchorage. Stopped in all the tourist towns. Biggest regrets:

1. Not adding an excursion to Denali

2. Going out of Vancouver heading north instead of Seward/Anchorage south. I probably wouldn’t care so much if I didn’t live in Tampa, but that’s a helluva lot of air travel. Would have preferred to cut out a few hours on the way back.

Did Inside Passage from Vancouver to Seward/Anchorage. Stopped in all the tourist towns. Biggest regrets:

1. Not adding an excursion to Denali

2. Going out of Vancouver heading north instead of Seward/Anchorage south. I probably wouldn’t care so much if I didn’t live in Tampa, but that’s a helluva lot of air travel. Would have preferred to cut out a few hours on the way back.
Road to Denali is out and will be for a while. Just a FYI.

That said, there's a big downside to Denali. In order to get there, we took an 8 hour train ride from Anchorage to Denali. That took up the whole day. Then, to get into Denali, you sit on a bus all day that takes 4 hours driving in and 4 hours driving back. Then, since we were flying out of Anchorage, you take another 8 hour train ride back to Anchorage. So, the 3 days is 3 days of sitting, and, while you see some amazing stuff, it's a long time of traveling and not getting to get up and move around much. So I'm always hesitant to recommend it. And I don't think there's a better way to minimize that, but I just don't know.
When I did mine with HAL, I flew into Fairbanks. It was a shorter drive from Fairbanks to Denali (that is about 2-1/2 hours). Then they drove from Denali down to the port in Seward.

Since you are getting the cruise for a deal, I would highly suggest taking some of the higher end, more exclusive shore excursions. I would also look into booking your own, outside of the cruise line. They will be more customized and you will get more for your buck. That doesn’t mean they will be cheaper, they will just be a better value for the entire experience. Less people, more specific to you and your family. That’s worth its weight in gold, especially for Alaska this time of year. 2024 is going to be a record year for the number of guests going to Alaska because the cruise lines have a lot of capacity there this summer and generally, Americans are more comfortable staying “close to home” with what’s going on in Ukraine and the Middle East.

Take the plane to the glacier, book a private tour at a sled-dog/mushers camp, go kayaking in Glacier Bay, do a customized whale watching tour. Whatever you choose, make sure that you are getting there before or after the cruise ship guests get there or for best results, avoid those places altogether. Again, this isn’t going to be cheap, but in Alaska during the summer, you get what you pay for. Don’t skimp because chances are, you won’t be going back again in the near future. Make it a worthwhile, over-the-top trip for you and your family.

You didn’t mention what cruise line you are taking. Are you leaving out of Seattle or Vancouver? Is it one-way or round trip?

IF you are doing the one-way option, I highly, highly, highly encourage you to take the cruise-tour/land option. Part of the allure of cruising in Alaska is to also see Alaska by land. Denali, Ketchikan, Homer, Sitka, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread