What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GOP pivots back to immigration boogeyman? (1 Viewer)

tommyGunZ

Footballguy
My timelines are starting to fill up with outrage from my conservative friends over an immigration crisis.  I don’t watch much cable news, and when I do it’s not FoxNews.  Are Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, and company putting out the bat signal to the base that more scary people are infiltrating America? 

“I find it interesting that migrant facilities at our southern border can operate 24 hours a day at 100% capacity, but my oldest child still doesn't even have a timeline as to when he can return to his school for in person learning --- not even on a part time basis.”. - One of my conservative friends.

“Still jnteteted on how you fee about Biden immigration.  He is still using the “Obama and Trump” cages.”  - a conservative friend. 

“Conservatives are concerned that we should know who cross our borders. Are they paying taxes? Are they taking govt services? Are they terrorist? Over 40 percent of children who cross our borders are subjected to human trafficjjng. Are you cool with that?”  - another conservative friend  

Last edited by a moderator:
Number of children in Border Patrol custody surpasses 3,700 amid ongoing surge

When CNN starts saying there’s a problem, then  you know there’s a problem:

(CNN)The United States continues to see a massive influx of migrants along the southern border, including many children. And while Border Patrol continues to detain a growing number of children, there are some fresh signs some of those children are being moved into more appropriate shelters designed to house them. 

The number of unaccompanied migrant children in Border Patrol custody continues to climb, reaching more than 3,700 on Wednesday, many of them in jail-like facilities along the US-Mexico border, CNN has learned.

On Wednesday, US Border Patrol apprehended nearly 800 unaccompanied migrant children, as of the latest count, according to a Homeland Security official, signaling an ongoing spike in encounters of children and surpassing the current 450 daily average.

The spike in children arriving this week is drawing a lot of attention and meetings are ongoing "at the highest levels," the official said, predicting it will be an ongoing problem until the Biden administration finds a way to prevent children from arriving at the border.

"It's going to be very difficult to stop this," the official said. 

After children are taken into Border Patrol custody, they're turned over to the Health and Human Services Department, which is charged with the care of migrant children. But amid the coronavirus pandemic, the department has been strained since shelters had until recently been operating under limited capacity.

In recent days, the number of children in HHS custody has also climbed indicating that the department is gradually absorbing the number of children crossing the US-Mexico border alone, taking them out of Border Patrol facilities and into shelters where they can be cared for. 

There are around 8,800 unaccompanied for children in HHS custody, the department confirmed Thursday, up from last week when numbers hovered around 7,700. 

But the administration still has to keep up with the accelerated pace of apprehensions on the border. 

The administration is racing to house migrant children as President Joe Biden's approach to immigration faces a critical early test. The President entered office vowing to reverse what he cast as cruel policies put in place by President Donald Trump that made it difficult for people fleeing poverty and violence to come to the United States. Now, Biden is working to strike a balance between promoting a more humane approach to immigration while still sending the message to would-be migrants not to come.

At the peak of the 2019 border crisis -- when there were overcrowded facilities and children sleeping on the ground -- there were around 2,600 unaccompanied children in Border Patrol custody, a former CBP official previously told CNN.

"(W)e continue to struggle with the number of individuals in our custody, especially given the pandemic," said Troy Miller, the senior official performing the duties of the CBP commissioner, during a press briefing Wednesday.

The border agency is working with HHS to move children out of custody as quickly as possible, said Miller.

"We need to move them out quicker," he acknowledged. 

Facing an overwhelming flow of migrant children, HHS is now also assessing a NASA site for temporary housing.

"[O]n March 10, 2021, HHS, with the support of NASA, notified State and local officials that it will be conducting an assessment of NASA site Moffett Field located in Mountain View, California, for potential use as a temporary influx care facility for UC at some point in the future," Kenneth J. Wolfe, an HHS spokesperson said in a statement.

tommyGunZ said:
My timelines are starting to fill up with outrage from my conservative friends over an immigration crisis.  I don’t watch much cable news, and when I do it’s not FoxNews.  Are Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, and company putting out the bat signal to the base that more scary people are infiltrating America? 

“I find it interesting that migrant facilities at our southern border can operate 24 hours a day at 100% capacity, but my oldest child still doesn't even have a timeline as to when he can return to his school for in person learning --- not even on a part time basis.”. - One of my conservative friends.

“Still jnteteted on how you fee about Biden immigration.  He is still using the “Obama and Trump” cages.”  - a conservative friend. 

“Conservatives are concerned that we should know who cross our borders. Are they paying taxes? Are they taking govt services? Are they terrorist? Over 40 percent of children who cross our borders are subjected to human trafficjjng. Are you cool with that?”  - another conservative friend  
Actually it is not only conservatives.  I have family and friends who are all liberal who live in areas that are impacted and they are very concerned as well. 100% of the people don`t tow the party line on every single topic. People can be liberal and also for secure borders and for legal immigration.

tommyGunZ said:

How about if they have COVID?

What else do they have? 
You’re not concerned that there are 8,800 unaccompanied children in HHS custody, many living in jail-like facilities (according to CNN)?  I just don’t get you sometimes.  Is your partisanship so extreme that you can’t see a real crisis going on where children are being used as pawns?

I hated kids in cages and I hate this as well.  It’s disgusting that people are using these kids for political purposes.  We get it Joe - you are reversing Trump.  But don’t institute a policy that you’re not prepared to handle, and where kids are involved.  Just awful, all the way around.

Remember if your "conservative friends" aren't pushing the boogeyman narrative that the kids in "cages" were really Obamas cages and the "detention facilities" that Biden re-opened were really built under Trump, then your gaslighting game is weak. LINK

You’re not concerned that there are 8,800 unaccompanied children in HHS custody, many living in jail-like facilities (according to CNN)?  I just don’t get you sometimes.  Is your partisanship so extreme that you can’t see a real crisis going on where children are being used as pawns?
I am Very concerned about them. Let them in. 

I am Very concerned about them. Let them in. 
We did let them in.  We’re not equipped to handle them.  That’s 100% on Biden.  People warned of this and he didn’t adequately prepare for it.  It’s ok to say it.  The sun will still come up tomorrow.

We did let them in.  We’re not equipped to handle them.  That’s 100% on Biden.  People warned of this and he didn’t adequately prepare for it.  It’s ok to say it.  The sun will still come up tomorrow.
This

but there is a certain few in here that will never admit that this is true 

Can the GOP talk about it now that the national guard has been deployed or is it still a non-issue?  

I’ll say this - I’m not sure either side has covered themselves in glory on this topic - I dislike the tactics of both sides, especially using this as a wedge issue.  These are human beings we are talking about - be creative and do something to fix the problem versus pointing fingers at each other. 

Are Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, and company putting out the bat signal to the base that more scary people are infiltrating America? 
It's all a cheap card trick to distract their viewers that the R's are fought tooth and nail to stop a stimulus package that 76% of the country wants.

"Squirrel!"

Over and over again.

I’ll say this - I’m not sure either side has covered themselves in glory on this topic - I dislike the tactics of both sides, especially using this as a wedge issue.  These are human beings we are talking about - be creative and do something to fix the problem versus pointing fingers at each other. 
This isnt a problem that can be "fixed". 

Each side wants something different. 

They aren't?  Just saw an article yesterday siting that about 10% tested positive for COVID.   

0 clue where some of you are getting your info that 0 are being tested and we now have "open borders".  
Over 10,000 people have come in through the lower Rio Grande Valley. Those folks are not being tested," Cuellar says, "I did ask Border Patrol from the very beginning: 'Are y’all testing?' They said 'no, we’re not testing.' 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ktxs.com/amp/news/local/covid-testing-of-border-crossing-migrants-not-being-administered-consistently

They aren't?  Just saw an article yesterday siting that about 10% tested positive for COVID.   

0 clue where some of you are getting your info that 0 are being tested and we now have "open borders".  
Who did the testing? The feds or the local government where they were released to? 

I would ask for a link, but I am sure sho will be along any minute to ask for it. He is super consistent in his moderating of this issue. 

Who did the testing? The feds or the local government where they were released to? 

I would ask for a link, but I am sure sho will be along any minute to ask for it. He is super consistent in his moderating of this issue. 
I am guessing as I look through my article was referring to the kids at the centers and what % of them were testing positive.   Still looking for that one.  

In the article cowboys linked above had this in it too:

Border Patrol disagrees with Cuellar, telling us in a statement it "uses a combination of onsite contract medical personnel and referrals to local health systems to provide medical support for persons in custody who require medical attention.

"CBP personnel conduct initial inspections for symptoms or risk factors associated with COVID-19 and consult with onsite medical personnel, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), or local health systems as appropriate.

"Onsite medical personnel can provide basic assessment and supportive treatment, but suspected COVID-19 cases are referred to local health systems for appropriate testing, diagnosis, and treatment.

I remember thinking that the "migrant caravan" was just a made-up story put out there to benefit Trump, right up until the point that the migrants actually arrived and it became a huge crisis.  I feel kind of bad for making that mistake the first time, but hey at least I didn't start a thread espousing the same narrative the second time around. 

Users who are viewing this thread