What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greatest TV day in NFL history? (1 Viewer)

ignatiusjreilly

Footballguy
Here are the four TV windows today:
  • 9:30 EST - Dolphins-Chiefs
  • 1:00 - Seahawks-Ravens
  • 4:25 - Cowboys-Eagles
  • SNF - Buffalo-Cinci
That's a pretty impressive slate of games! The reason I feel confident in calling it the greatest in history is that the 9:30 window is only a few years old, and the games have been universally bad. I forget the exact stat, but I think this was maybe the second or third that even involved teams with winning records, much less the top two seeds in the AFC.

Seahawks-Ravens is a good matchup between two-loss teams, Dallas-Philly is one of the league's premier rivalries, and not only is Bills-Bengals a great matchup between AFC powerhouses, but there's the whole Hamlin narrative from last year that makes it even more compelling.

Can anyone come up with a better day?

Well the first game was a little lackluster until the end. The 1:00 PM slot gives me CLE-ARI and LAR-GB. These 4 teams have combined for 17 first half points, so if you like offense, not the greatest TV day in NFL history so far...

Is is National Backup QB Day? 6 backups 5 rookies (something like that) and a Hall (Vikings) got knocked out of the his game

Guess they were jealous over National TE Day eh

Looking at the slate the OP listed, it definitely set up nicely. The results so far though have not been pretty.

It's hard to imagine day with this atrocious 1:00 slate being the best in NFL history.

Even if the KC-MIA game wasn't underwhelming, it was still at 9:30 in Germany, which takes the shine off of it.

The bright spot of 1:00 is Lamar Jackson kicking the crap out of another "who knows if they're actually good" NFC team traveling East.

And the Dallas game? It would be cool to see a Dallas game not suck. If it didn't, it would be the first time this year. Don't have high hopes.

Looking at the slate the OP listed, it definitely set up nicely. The results so far though have not been pretty.
Yeah, that was my point. I posted the thread at 1:46, so obviously I wasn't talking in terms of results.

I was supposed to be traveling today, but I had to cancel my trip at the last minute. So not only was I home, but I had nothing planned. And I realized that there were football games I was genuinely excited about watching starting at 9:30 and running all the way through 11:30 p.m. Not only that, but based on The506.com TV map, I was expecting the Miami market would get TB-Houston at 1:00, but instead we got Baltimore-Seattle (little did I know).

Obviously not all the games lived up to their hype. And in markets where they were showing different games, I can see how people might not have been as psyched (although some of those backup QB games ended up being pretty good). Still, in terms of having four legit windows, I have a hard time imagining there's been a better day since the advent of the international games

• 9:30 EST - Dolphins-Chiefs
  • 1:00 - Seahawks-Ravens
  • 4:25 - Cowboys-Eagles
  • SNF - Buffalo-Cinci
  • meh
  • ouch - wow that must be so embarrassing being an NFC division leader & getting boat raced at M&T Bank Stadium*
  • good game, Eagles made a statement & took control....oh wait, too early.....manic ending - 2nd best game of the day (can't top Stroud & the Texans)
  • kind of meh, looks close from afar, Bills gotta lot to clean up, Bengals are now one of many good 3 loss teams
Vikings win over the Falcons was pretty fun to watch, Minnesota is a resilient bunch

all in all, pretty good slate of entertaining football, and considering how many backup QBs were playing, pretty good. Pretty pretty pretty good.

*yeah, like a lot of guys in their 60s, repeating myself (game thread) but since I was actually in the stands for Detroit's drubbing couldn't resist

While they had one good game at each slot the entire slate of games as a group was pretty bad going into the games. Looking back at it there were games that should have been blah that turned out good (Min vs Atl springs to mind). But going into the weekend there were a lot of bad out there.

greatest tv day in NFL history has to be the Heidi game in 1968
In reading about the 'Heidi game', I like the subplot that the president of NBC and the President of the AFL had to put up and keep up the charade that they were so pissed about how the events of that day played out.

Both were secretly thrilled and validated their opinion (Milt Woodard, AFL) that the AFL had arrived as a premium TV product and (Julian Goodman, NBC) that all that money they were spending for the rights to the games was reaching people.

Great things to have to take to potential advertisers.

And the Dallas game? It would be cool to see a Dallas game not suck. If it didn't, it would be the first time this year. Don't have high hopes.
I'm completely agnostic with regard to Dallas (no hating, no fanboy) but it must be aggravating to be a Dallas fan and game watcher. They are so maddingly inconsistent.

Well the first game was a little lackluster until the end. The 1:00 PM slot gives me CLE-ARI and LAR-GB. These 4 teams have combined for 17 first half points, so if you like offense, not the greatest TV day in NFL history so far...
Ugh

Users who are viewing this thread