What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg Jones 2006 (1 Viewer)

Raiders

Footballguy
Do you think that he will be the man in JAX, or do you think that he will go back to being the fullback, or end up somewhere else?

Also, is he a trade now player while there is still speculation that F Tayolr might be out, or keep him for the very same reason?

Do you think that he will be the man in JAX, or do you think that he will go back to being the fullback, or end up somewhere else?

Also, is he a trade now player while there is still speculation that F Tayolr might be out, or keep him for the very same reason?
Very little, because I am in the growing group that believes Jacksonville will be Edgerrin James' final destination this offseason. He could be an Alstott-like TD threat, but outside of that.... ehhh....

Last edited:
I'm in the camp that thinks he will be a starter. Been trying to get him in my leagues.

I feel that Jax is on the verge of having a team that could do some damage in the playoffs next year. That being said, I don't think Jones showed me this year that he is good enough to carry the load. I think Jax would like to have a more all-around workhorse type back and Edge would certainly fill the bill. I think Jones is a great #2 back to have around for those late game carries when Jax is winning and they want to pound away while saving the wear and tear on their #1 guy.

BTW, what's with Fred T? Did I miss that he's done or are we just assuming that?

He wasn't drafted far behind the other Jones' in his draft class. He's a solid buy candidate right now.

Jones still looks more like a committee back than a full time back. After Jacksonville drafted him, they compared him to Mike Alstott in terms of how they can use him.

Jones being on the team wont prevent Jax from going after a top running back any more than it will cause them to. He a talented player who's best assets will keep him as a situational player even if they do get a full timer. Until they get a full timer, Jones is as good of a bet to start as any other back on the team.

For fantasy purposes, think of him as you think of TJ Duckett, Mike Anderson, or Mike Alstott when he was younger. He'll have big games here and there in one role or another. You just cant count on him like you can count on a full time back for consistency or keeping the status as the best fantasy back on the team.

Until we see what FAs are brought in and who they draft, I dont have much opinion on Jones for 2006.

BTW, what's with Fred T? Did I miss that he's done or are we just assuming that?
Del Rio likes his RBs and his more than happy with them. He's said the same thing this offseason like 2 or 3 times already.

I think GJ will supplant FTaylor

as the starting RB in JAX.

FT will be toast on June 1st.
If FT goes out, they will find out very quickly GJ is the only other RB that can carry the full-time load.

If FT goes out, they will find out very quickly GJ is the only other RB that can carry the full-time load.
I dont think theyve drafted Drew and Pearman because they want Jones to handle the full-time load. I fully expect Taylor to be cut 6/1, and to see a very effective RBBC implemented in Jax.

Once Taylor gets injured, we'll see Jones/Drew splitting the load.

Drew is about twice as good as Pearman, so he will disappear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Archuleta trying out as a RB for JAX?
Archuleta plays both sides of the ball --- safety and RB. Sometimes when they're shorthanded in practice he's forced to tackle himself. That's why he's had so many concussions.

I dont think theyve drafted Drew and Pearman because they want Jones to handle the full-time load. I fully expect Taylor to be cut 6/1, and to see a very effective RBBC implemented in Jax.
Diesel, what makes you think Taylor might be cut? Is there something I missed?

Diesel, what makes you think Taylor might be cut? Is there something I missed?
- Taylor is due $2.55mil this season and he's over 30- JAX has been using some high draft picks on RB's

- Towards the end of last season there was talk of Taylor being phased out;

"December 16, 2005, 07:54

Jaguars :: RB

RB F.Taylor Being Cut Out Of Offense?

Mike Freeman, Jacksonville Times-Union - [Full Article]

It sure looks as if RB Fred Taylor is slowly being phased out of the Jaguars' offense for RB Greg Jones. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm just saying it's happening. I'm just saying it seems obvious. The whispers inside the Jaguars organization have been there for many weeks. Maybe Jones fits this offense better. Can we consistently rely on Fred? This feels like the beginning of a new era at running back for the Jaguars."

- Taylor himself doesn't sound too confident he'll be back;

"April 13, 2006, 07:31

Jaguars :: RB

RB F.Taylor Ponders Future, Elsewhere?

Bart Hubbuch, Florida Times-Union - [Full Article]

Turning 30 this year gave RB Fred Taylor what he describes as a new perspective on both his career and the Jaguars. "There are 31 other teams in this league, and I'm good enough to play for somebody," Taylor said. "I'm going to do what I need to do to take care of myself, and they're going to do what they have to do to take care of the organization. It's a business. "I would love to end my career here, but I know how it goes. Emmitt Smith wanted to end his career in Dallas, but it doesn't always work out. What someone says can be a lot of hot air, so I'm going to take care of Fred first."

I was pretty sure after the draft this year that he'd be gone BUT now it seems he's been in great shape this spring so who knows? Maybe they'll give him another year since JAX is consdered a strong playoff cantidate. With Smith retiring it would seem to me the $2.55mil Taylor is making won't be as big a factor as it would have been with Smith on the roster. They saved $3.5mil-3.6mil when Smith retired based on what I've read and now should be $10mil under the cap after they sign their rookies. I think there's a good chance they give Taylor one last year with the team based on the salary cap situation and the fact he's shown up in great shape this spring.

Unfortunately, the last quote you mention was from April 13.

Here's one from May 1, just after drafting Drew:

5/1/2006 11:02:00 AM et

Coach Jack Del Rio says RB Fred Taylor will be a Jaguar next season.

The team chose running back Maurice Drew in the second round but Del Rio affirmed his confidence in Taylor remaining an integral part of the offense. "I said that many times (that Taylor will make the team). I've been very clear on that," the coach said. "We like Fred."

Source: Florida Times Union

USA Today Jaguars page

Anyone know how long Jones is under contract for? I'm keeping him on my dynasty roster hoping he goes somewhere else

Funny this thread should come back today. I, for one, am pretty high on Greg Jones this year. FreddyT's injury history is well documented

If anybody CAN'T carry the load, it's Pearman. He's a situational, change of pace guy.

Drew's intriguing but how much of an impact can he have this year?

I like Jones. I like his power. I like his size. He had 2 100 yard games in the last 6 weeks last year and in 3 of those games he had 23 or more carries.

He's at RB46. Taylor's at RB30. I think they switch spots when it's all said and done this year.

Ideally, I think Del Rio wants to see Drew @ HB & Jones @ FB. This will be Taylor's last season in Jacksonville, IMO. And remember, Jones is the current starting FB. Drew was a 2nd round pick, but seems to be flying under radar.

This kid has big-time ability & with him @ HB & Jones @ FB, the Jags would probably have the most dynamic HB/FB combo in the league. I can definitely see them running Jones in a one-back set at times, but I believe Drew will have a breakout year in '07.

I'd be a little bit careful in trying to project runners other than Taylor for this upcoming year. This is a team that won 12 games last year. They don't care about "grooming" the youngsters right now. They want to get the ring. I think Taylor gets the majority of the carries during the season unless he gets hurt, and all indications are that he is having a great offseason.

Interesting how few people have mentioned Toefield
I was high on him last offseason, but last year he shook out as fourth string. Now they added Drew. Why are you mentioning him - has he moved up the depth chart this offseason or something? If he's 4th or 5th on the list, I don't see why people should bring him up.

Interesting how few people have mentioned Toefield
I was high on him last offseason, but last year he shook out as fourth string. Now they added Drew. Why are you mentioning him - has he moved up the depth chart this offseason or something? If he's 4th or 5th on the list, I don't see why people should bring him up.
Out of all the RBs, I read that he looked best this spring.Can't find that article but I'm pasting this from KFFL where DelRio says he's been outstanding

Jaguars | Toefield wants more playing time

Fri, 2 Jun 2006 06:58:44 -0700

Bart Hubbuch, of the Florida Tribune-Review, reports Jacksonville Jaguars RB LaBrandon Toefield wants to see more playing time. "All the coaches have good things to say about me, and nobody really says anything bad," said Toefield. "So why am I not out there?" He would like to be the third down back and is making a strong case to reclaim that spot in minicamp. "One guy that has really stepped it up and had an outstanding spring is LaBrandon Toefield," Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio said. "He's really been explosive, probably as good as he's looked since we've been here. He's gaining confidence and really practicing hard in all phases - special teams, offense, the whole bit."
Also don't forget last year's undrafted free agent Derrick Wimbush. Returnman, backup FB and RB, DelRio obviously loves his usefulness and willingness to do whatever.He's hurt now and may or may not be back late in the preseason, but definitely a player DelRio loves.

I see it playing out as Fred T the starter, GJones the GL/short yardage back (and on the field all the time as a fullback) Drew and Toefield battling for third down back - I think Pearman wil be relegated to ST duty.

If Fred T is injured, Greg Jones becomes the starting RB and Toefield and Drew get a significant amount of playing time as change of pace backs.

I'd be a little bit careful in trying to project runners other than Taylor for this upcoming year. This is a team that won 12 games last year. They don't care about "grooming" the youngsters right now.
Totally disagree. IMO they aren't a "legit" 12-4 team, the O is suspect all over the place, and they know FT is about as reliable as Virginia weather. Having said that, I wouldn't touch any Jag other than FT for more than $1 in our auction draft, and I would really hope he's my 4th stringer, but the rest are for deeper league flyers only. Given that, Jones could be worth a roster spot, but not the others.

Ideally, I think Del Rio wants to see Drew @ HB & Jones @ FB. This will be Taylor's last season in Jacksonville, IMO. And remember, Jones is the current starting FB. Drew was a 2nd round pick, but seems to be flying under radar.

This kid has big-time ability & with him @ HB & Jones @ FB, the Jags would probably have the most dynamic HB/FB combo in the league. I can definitely see them running Jones in a one-back set at times, but I believe Drew will have a breakout year in '07.
:thumbup: I see Drew with solid value later this season, regardless of Taylor's status on the team. Guy looks like an aveo but is built like a hummer.

Jones could be a Mike Alstott-esque back IMO this season. Whether that's value for you would be a personal decision, but his production in an integrated FB role would not be dependable on a per-game basis, although we might see 7-800 and 10 out of him.

The Jags offense on the whole is a big question mark heading into this season, and hopefully training camp should solve a lot of that for fantasy owners.

Users who are viewing this thread