What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg's Useless Trivia #36 (1 Viewer)

GregR

Footballguy
A collection of mostly useless but sometimes interesting things I've come across.

Links to previous Useless Trivia:

1) If a cat is a clarinet, a duck is an oboe, and a bird is a flute, then what is a wolf?

Those are three of the characters from Peter and the Wolf, and the instruments that represent them. The wolf is represented by french horns.

2) Airline passengers arriving at Milwaukee's airport may be confused by this sign seen on landing approach to the airport. What does it say?

On a roof that the planes fly over are painted in large letters the words, "Welcome to Cleveland". The sign is a joke by artist Mark Gubin who owns the building.

3) True or False. The US military once funded research into bird feed that would result in already high phosphate levels in bird feces being partially converted to forms of phosphorus that could start fires by self-igniting on hot surfaces like sun-heated metal roofs, or a vehicle hood.

False as far as I know. Made that one up completely.

4) This large, well-known city was founded by a Batman, and was even named "Batmania" briefly before it was renamed.

Melbourne, Australia. John Batman explored the area, negotiated a land purchase with locals, and selected the site that would become the city.

5) At least as of 2010, this was the only US state capital with neither a McDonalds nor a Burger King.

Montpelier, Vermont. Sites say the city actively tries to avoid corporate businesses and promote local ones instead.

6) Today the term "Third World country" is often used to denote poor or non-industrialized countries. That was not originally the case. What did the term originally mean?

It was a Cold War term that meant a country not aligned with NATO and its allies (the First World) nor the Communist Bloc and it's allies (the Second World).

7) Rank these 4 creatures in terms of how many hairs they have, from fewest to most.

Butterflies
Dolphins
Honey bees
Humans

Dolphins and other cetaceans are nearly hairless. Humans have about 100k hairs. Honey bees have about 3 million hairs, the same amount as a squirrel. Butterflies and moths have nearly 10 billion hairs! The hairs are used for sensory input.

8) Despite being known for creating tales of fiction, this famous author and his wife (also a writer) required their children to tell the couple bedtime stories rather than the other way around.

Stephen King. Two of his three children ended up becoming writers as well.

9) The Japanese embassy in Paris has a 24-hour hotline for Japanese visitors who succumb to something known as Paris syndrome. What is Paris syndrome?

a) a mental disorder from culture shock that Paris is not as nice as expected
b) a compulsive shopping disorder, particularly involving clothing
c) loss of motor and/or sensory function from not being used to the large quantities of butter in French cuisine
d) intense sexual fantasies brought on by the beauty of the French people combined with consumption of large amounts of caffeine and alcohol

a) a mental disorder from finding Paris does not meet their expectations. Many of the Japanese visitors come with a deeply romantic vision of Paris - the cobbled streets, as seen in the film Amelie, the beauty of French women wearing high fashion, or the high culture and art at the Louvre. Instead they may find a culture far more overweight than Japan, and levels of rudeness that might be laughed off by Westerners, but that can be a lot to cope with for those used to a more polite and helpful society in which voices are rarely raised in anger. The results can include "acute delusional states, hallucinations, feelings of persecution (perceptions of being a victim of prejudice, aggression, or hostility from others), derealization, depersonalization, anxiety, and also psychosomatic manifestations such as dizziness, tachycardia, sweating, and others, such as vomiting".

10) The US Constitution (not counting Amendments) makes direct reference to only three crimes. Which three of the below crimes are they?

Arson
Counterfeiting
Murder
Piracy
Receipt of stolen goods
Theft
Treason

Counterfeiting, Piracy and Treason.  Article I Section 8 endows Congress with the ability to punish those who counterfeit "the Securities and current Coin of the United States," and to "define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas."  Article III Section 3 defines treason as: "levying war against the United States, adhering to the nation's enemies, or giving our nation's enemies aid and comfort."

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cow, my first 0/10.

I got most of the hair ones right, just switched the top 2. And I got 2 of 3 on #10. 

So actually, I did better on 10 than I did on the hair one. :kicksrock:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread