What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gun Control Laws - Where are we really? Where to go? (1 Viewer)

I guess the question would be what do the credit card companies get out of creating a new code for purchases from a gun store vs misc / sporting goods?

If it's to stop mass shootings, how does that help?

To BR's point, if you're ok with this new code are you also ok if other politically charged issues start getting codes as well?

Would you support a specific abortion clinic code? This way the credit card companies can track who gets abortions and how many.

I guess the question would be what do the credit card companies get out of creating a new code for purchases from a gun store vs misc / sporting goods?

To BR's point, if you're ok with this new code are you also ok if other politically charged issues start getting codes as well?

Would you support a specific abortion clinic code? This way the credit card companies can track who gets abortions and how many.
To be clear, they'd merely know you spent money there.

The funny thing about all this is the government already has access to all this information. All they have to do is make a simple request to your bank. That "freedom" was given away in the Patriot Act and the FISA Amendments Act. Anyone who has a cellphone or uses a website to do their banking agreed to this in the ToS. This ship sailed years ago here in the US.

The funny thing about all this is the government already has access to all this information. All they have to do is make a simple request to your bank. That "freedom" was given away in the Patriot Act and the FISA Amendments Act. Anyone who has a cellphone or uses a website to do their banking agreed to this in the ToS. This ship sailed years ago here in the US.
Gun control group are already championing this as a new way to identify mass shooters. So yeah maybe the information was already out there, this new code just takes a highlighter to all of those purchases.

I'd argue it won't do anything to prevent a mass shooting though. I'm also not concerned the ATF comes and visits my house for too many gun related purchases. If credit card companies start denying purchases, I'd have a big problem with that.

Gun control group are already championing this as a new way to identify mass shooters. So yeah maybe the information was already out there, this new code just takes a highlighter to all of those purchases.

I'd argue it won't do anything to prevent a mass shooting though. I'm also not concerned the ATF comes and visits my house for too many gun related purchases. If credit card companies start denying purchases, I'd have a big problem with that.

I can't see this as anything more than a single piece of evidence in the efforts to monitor someone. It's not enough for a warrant to be certain. I think the article above severely overstates what the code provides. This particular code isn't going to get any new information that the government can't already get by talking to your bank. If ANY of this is a concern to an individual, the answer is to simply pay in check/cash. Problem solved...."surveillance" avoided.

I can't see this as anything more than a single piece of evidence in the efforts to monitor someone. It's not enough for a warrant to be certain. I think the article above severely overstates what the code provides. This particular code isn't going to get any new information that the government can't already get by talking to your bank. If ANY of this is a concern to an individual, the answer is to simply pay in check/cash. Problem solved...."surveillance" avoided.
Their hope is that banks are forced to report suspicious transactions to authorities.

I'm sure the smaller gun stores will figure out a way around it soon enough.

Their hope is that banks are forced to report suspicious transactions to authorities.

There's nothing to figure out...use cash....problem solved. If their hope is to report suspicious transactions" the banks already have all the information to do so. This code doesn't provide them anything new. Banks aren't going to actively monitor for things like this or they would have started doing it in the early 2000s.

There's nothing to figure out...use cash....problem solved. If their hope is to report suspicious transactions" the banks already have all the information to do so. This code doesn't provide them anything new. Banks aren't going to actively monitor for things like this or they would have started doing it in the early 2000s.
A lot of gun related purchases are online where you can't use cash.

I will agree that the need for the code is pointless.

Oh, okay. So just give up on everything since the government can pretty much make an excuse to come after you on any topic?

No need to fight anymore, everyone. The government has the power to get you anyways.

How do you pay with cash online?

A lot of gun related purchases are online where you can't use cash.

I will agree that the need for the code is pointless.
Right....it doesn't do anything new. This is the international community catching up to what is already (effectively) here in the US.

Oh, okay. So just give up on everything since the government can pretty much make an excuse to come after you on any topic?

No need to fight anymore, everyone. The government has the power to get you anyways.
Not sure where this came from, but the reality is, this sort of thing is what people cheering on the Patriot Act (which I find fewer and fewer of these days compared to when it was initiated...the island here at FBG was small and lonely back then if you were against it) when it was passed were giving up. I can't really take seriously those people who are NOW upset because they are finally realizing what they gave up.

Gift cards :shrug:

Not sure where this came from, but the reality is, this sort of thing is what people cheering on the Patriot Act (which I find fewer and fewer of these days compared to when it was initiated...the island here at FBG was small and lonely back then if you were against it) when it was passed were giving up. I can't really take seriously those people who are NOW upset because they are finally realizing what they gave up.

:goodposting:

This cc coding has been around for a very long time. Log on to your cc site and you can, for example, see how much you've spent at the grocery store. It doesn't show what you bought though.

After 20+ years, for everyone concerned about privacy and freedom, how about we tear down all of the government controlled cameras everywhere in the public space.

Gun control group are already championing this as a new way to identify mass shooters

The new purchase code will help banks and law enforcement discover unusual purchases,

define "unusual purchases" ??

"It's significant," Skaggs told ABC News. "This creates a tool that will allow suspicious activity around illegal gun trafficking and around mass shootings to be detected and flagged to the authorities."

um .... they are not illegal purchases/gun trafficking

Gun advocates hope the new code will push banks to report some gun purchases, since a law passed in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks requires the banks to alert authorities to suspicious transaction activity.

so if I buy 1,000 rounds of ammo am I going to be reported? If I bought 3 AR15's am I going to be reported?

man if this works, just think, we can stop drunk driving !!!! just flag who buys alcohol and hunt them down !!

I was not here and, TBH, not sure how I felt about it back then. I do distinctly remember hearing about how Clinton put up walls around the intelligence community so they couldn't communicate regarding 9/11 and the patriot act would take down those walls.

Lame. The 90's and 2000's love your answer, though.

Seems like an incredibly easy fix for someone who perceives this as a massive intrusion on them. The comment is funny to me though....and I suspect it's mostly because of the unintentional aspect of it, but gift cards are a $1.5T industry today....not sure you knew that or not...VERY popular.

Seems like an incredibly easy fix for someone who perceives this as a massive intrusion on them. The comment is funny to me though....and I suspect it's mostly because of the unintentional aspect of it, but gift cards are a $1.5T industry today....not sure you knew that or not...VERY popular.
Again, lame. The point isn't to buy gift cards.

Also, can we start tracking abortions? Don't we need a code for abortion clinics? We should have one so we can start tracking people who use abortion as birth control. Y'know, just in case.

Also, can we start tracking abortions? Don't we need a code for abortion clinics? We should have one so we can start tracking people who use abortion as birth control. Y'know, just in case.
You asked how someone could do this online. I provided you a simple, easy solution. Guess that attempted "gotcha" didn't go as you planned? :shrug:

Of course the bold goes FURTHER than what the current code proposal would do. I'm good with a code for "abortions as birth control" if you're good with a unique code for the purchase of actual firearms (which the current code proposal does NOT do). Otherwise, leave them on the same level. Of course, the problem with the deflection you bring up here is in determining the reason the abortion was performed....well, unless you are in favor of trampling on an individual's rights to have private conversations with their doctors etc.

You asked how someone could do this online. I provided you a simple, easy solution. Guess that attempted "gotcha" didn't go as you planned? :shrug:

Of course the bold goes FURTHER than what the current code proposal would do. I'm good with a code for "abortions as birth control" if you're good with a unique code for the purchase of actual firearms (which the current code proposal does NOT do). Otherwise, leave them on the same level. Of course, the problem with the deflection you bring up here is in determining the reason the abortion was performed....well, unless you are in favor of trampling on an individual's rights to have private conversations with their doctors etc.

You guys don't appear to have problem trampling on people's rights. Well, it's only a problem with the rights you agree with.

Keep it as "MISC" and we'll all be happy.

You guys don't appear to have problem trampling on people's rights. Well, it's only a problem with the rights you agree with.

Keep it as "MISC" and we'll all be happy.
Who is "you guys" in this case? Do you even have a small clue as to what my position on guns is? I'm fine with it as "Misc" as well. Doesn't affect things one way or the other in this country. That's what people seem to not understand. What people are "worried about" on this topic came to be shortly after 9/11. Twenty years later they are starting to pay attention? Can't make that sort of thing up.

Why are law abiding citizens so worried about proof that they legally purchased their guns? Is it the completely insane conspiracy theory that the government is going to come confiscate their guns?

Why are law abiding citizens so worried about proof that they legally purchased their guns? Is it the completely insane conspiracy theory that the government is going to come confiscate their guns?

and why would the Govt want to know who's purchasing guns and who has them ??

we both know the answer, don't we ?

Do people actually believe that door to door confiscation of firearms is going to happen in the U. S. of A.?
Apparently. The tough part is reconciling that fear with support of the Patriot Act after 9/11. It's almost like people don't pay any attention to anything but the sound bytes thrown out by their favorite politicians.....just the way politicians like it.

Do people actually believe that door to door confiscation of firearms is going to happen in the U. S. of A.?
No chance.
Awesome, we agree.

So why the outcry about them knowing what guns you have in the home? Why is it different than the 1000s of other things that are tracked in our lives, or do people who think this way have a high level of paranoia about everything else they buy and do online?

I don't know to be honest -

Did I think even 10 years ago that guns would be banned based on them having a pistol grip and adjustable stock? no, but radical left has passed such things

The only reason the Govt wants to know who has guns is so in the future they'll knows door to knock on - that's the truth ..... why they come a knocking is anyone's guess

No chance.
Awesome, we agree.

So why the outcry about them knowing what guns you have in the home? Why is it different than the 1000s of other things that are tracked in our lives, or do people who think this way have a high level of paranoia about everything else they buy and do online?
I don't want to get to a place where my CC is declined based on what I want to purchase legally. I'd also like to avoid being highlighted for my purchases. Nothing good can possibly come from that. When gun control advocates celebrate a move like this, I pay attention.

On a side note, my local gun store is getting an ATM put in now for those who want to make all cash purchases.

again - if this is a solution to people using guns for violence can we PLEASE track alcohol purchases and stop drunk driving ?

More false equivalencies...right on cue. :thumbup:

its actually an equivalency that makes sense

track gun and ammo purchases can help stop mass shooters - that's what is being sold, right ?

tracking purchases can help identify people who might do things bad - that's the entire concept isn't it ?

lets extend that to other things then ........... why isn't that realistic ? are you suggesting it'll work for guns but nothing else ?

I
More false equivalencies...right on cue. :thumbup:

its actually an equivalency that makes sense

track gun and ammo purchases can help stop mass shooters - that's what is being sold, right ?

tracking purchases can help identify people who might do things bad - that's the entire concept isn't it ?

lets extend that to other things then ........... why isn't that realistic ? are you suggesting it'll work for guns but nothing else ?
Track it then. Arkansas should lead the way.

The issue with many of the proposals, and I think the point from pro-2A folks that is relevant, is that the proposals will be followed by law-abiding citizens and people who want to get their hands on guns for criminal purposes will just break the law to obtain them. I tend to agree with that point of view.

The issue with many of the proposals, and I think the point from pro-2A folks that is relevant, is that the proposals will be followed by law-abiding citizens and people who want to get their hands on guns for criminal purposes will just break the law to obtain them. I tend to agree with that point of view.
That's pretty much every law in America. Criminals break laws. That's why they are criminal s

No chance.
Awesome, we agree.

I don't want to get to a place where my CC is declined based on what I want to purchase legally. I'd also like to avoid being highlighted for my purchases. Nothing good can possibly come from that. When gun control advocates celebrate a move like this, I pay attention.

On a side note, my local gun store is getting an ATM put in now for those who want to make all cash purchases.
Ship sailed with the Patriot Act....you're about 20 years too late. This code introduces NOTHING meaningfully new.

I don't think that's the goal, so I'm not sure why you'd think it would. At any rate, I was merely pointing out that we already do for alcohol stores what you were asking for....kinda deflates the nonsensical "gotcha" events you attempt, but such is life :shrug:

it shows that such coding doesn't do anything - so why do it ?

ask the reasons why such a move would be made .... its not to capture 0.01% of legal gun owners who would go shoot up somewhere, that we can easily agree on

Users who are viewing this thread