What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gut Feeling on Cedric Benson - Week 15? (1 Viewer)

NoCheese

turn or burn
Another big week for Benson owners with playoffs here in most league. Post any updates here for Week 14. Anyone have a sense on his status for Week 14? Will LJ get a ton of carries since Benson only got 95% last week? I think I see a trend starting here :bye:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it is mostly hope, but I do think Ced plays if at all possible this week. The team is coming off a tough demoralizing loss (to a lousy team), and as soon as Ced went down, they brought in LJ to possibly steal some thunder. If I'm Ced, I'm feeling like Rodney Dangerfield..."no respect I tell ya....no respect"

Dont know if this has been posted elsewhere (it's from yesterday), but.....

Bengals beat writer Joe Reedy calls Cedric Benson's hip injury "something of a day to day thing."

Coach Marvin Lewis didn't give much of an update Monday, perhaps because he fully expects Benson to return for Week 12. He will probably be limited in practice this week. The Bengals badly need Benson healthy down the stretch.

................................................................................

My view is that Benson will play due to the following:

1) He was a was not declared out until around gametime last week, indicating there was hope he could go

2) The Bengals lost last week against Oakland and missed the power running game; they cannot afford to rest Benson as a luxury, even though it is Cleveland

3) The injury does not seem serious or we would have heard about it by now

per ESPN he did not practice yesterday.

Doesn't really surprise me. My guess is that he will be limited in practice the rest of the year. He always sits out Wednesday practices anyway even when fully healthy.

I don't think Ced will play. LJ has had some time for a crash course of the playbook and I suspect he will split time with Scott this week.

he plays. the bengals lost to the raiders when he didn't. lj, scott and whoever else aren't sufficient enough to beat the raiders?

im sure the bengals want a home game in the playoffs

this is all wishful thinking from a desperate benson owner

did I miss some news?
You mentioned in your post that if Benson was out you thought Scott and LJ would split the carries. I'm wondering what gave you that impression?I personally hope the Bengals rest Benson until he is totally healthy. Benson missing the game against the Raiders isn't why they lost. It doesn't do anyone any good if he returns only to reaggravate his injury before the playoffs. Scott looked more than capable of handling the running back duties.My gut feeling is that he will be out again this week against the Browns and come back for the game vs. Detroit.

he plays. the bengals lost to the raiders when he didn't. lj, scott and whoever else aren't sufficient enough to beat the raiders? im sure the bengals want a home game in the playoffsthis is all wishful thinking from a desperate benson owner
I think Benson plays but not for the reason you mentioned. The RBs (i.e. mostly Scott) were sufficient vs the Raiders and weren't the reason for the loss. The Bengals controled the clock (38+ minutes vs 21+ minutes for Oak) and yardage (348 to 275) and by most accounts should have won this game. 4 turnovers and a 40% redzone efficiency (with a missed chip shot FG) were the reasons the Bengals lost the game.

did I miss some news?
You mentioned in your post that if Benson was out you thought Scott and LJ would split the carries. I'm wondering what gave you that impression?I personally hope the Bengals rest Benson until he is totally healthy. Benson missing the game against the Raiders isn't why they lost. It doesn't do anyone any good if he returns only to reaggravate his injury before the playoffs. Scott looked more than capable of handling the running back duties.My gut feeling is that he will be out again this week against the Browns and come back for the game vs. Detroit.
we're in agreement about resting Benson, he wasn't the reason Cincy lost, Scott looked capable and Benson sitting one more week. I do expect LJ to be the 2nd rb at some point soon after he show's he's got a grasp on the playbook and has adapted. He'll never make another pro-bowl but he's not the #3 or #4 rb on this team either. I can't think of another team I'd rather get a "new guy" some snaps against than Cleveland at home right now. That was my only reason.

did I miss some news?
You mentioned in your post that if Benson was out you thought Scott and LJ would split the carries. I'm wondering what gave you that impression?I personally hope the Bengals rest Benson until he is totally healthy. Benson missing the game against the Raiders isn't why they lost. It doesn't do anyone any good if he returns only to reaggravate his injury before the playoffs. Scott looked more than capable of handling the running back duties.

My gut feeling is that he will be out again this week against the Browns and come back for the game vs. Detroit.
we're in agreement about resting Benson, he wasn't the reason Cincy lost, Scott looked capable and Benson sitting one more week. I do expect LJ to be the 2nd rb at some point soon after he show's he's got a grasp on the playbook and has adapted. He'll never make another pro-bowl but he's not the #3 or #4 rb on this team either.

I can't think of another team I'd rather get a "new guy" some snaps against than Cleveland at home right now. That was my only reason.
I don't think LJ can outplay Scott at this point in his career to take over the RB2 spot for the Bengals. Scott just had 151 total yards in his first career start. LJ hasn't had a game with that many total yards since week four of 2008. His highest yardage total for a game in 2007 was 148, which was also in week four.

Scott didn't give the Bengals any reason to limit his carries or give LJ extensive playing time if Benson can't suit up.

With Benson and/or Scott healthy LJ simply isn't a relevant fantasy player this season.

From Rotowire:

Coach Marvin Lewis said Wednesday that Benson (hip) has a good chance to play this Sunday against the Browns, the Bengals' official site reports. "He'll be listed as not practicing with the team, but he'll assume the Cedric Wednesday type of work," said Lewis.

Spin:

Lewis put Benson in the "very close" category, which suggests that he should be able to give it a go this weekend, barring a setback.

From Rotowire:Coach Marvin Lewis said Wednesday that Benson (hip) has a good chance to play this Sunday against the Browns, the Bengals' official site reports. "He'll be listed as not practicing with the team, but he'll assume the Cedric Wednesday type of work," said Lewis.Spin:Lewis put Benson in the "very close" category, which suggests that he should be able to give it a go this weekend, barring a setback.
RotoWorld had the opposite spin: Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said Wednesday that Cedric Benson (hip) will be "very limited" in his return to practice this week.Lewis would only say that Benson "might" play Sunday against Cleveland. This indicates that he's made little noticeable progress despite sitting out Week 11. Bernard Scott has an outside chance at a second straight start.

RotoWorld had the opposite spin: Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said Wednesday that Cedric Benson (hip) will be "very limited" in his return to practice this week.Lewis would only say that Benson "might" play Sunday against Cleveland. This indicates that he's made little noticeable progress despite sitting out Week 11. Bernard Scott has an outside chance at a second straight start.
That's a horribly constructed paragraph. Benson will be "very limited" and has "made little noticeable progress," yet Scott only has an "outside chance" at a second straight start? Huh? That "little noticeable progress" is also 100% speculation. Not Rotoworld's best effort.

Anyone else a little concerned that the Benson injury scare + Scott's play+ the LJ signing will morph Cincy into the NFL standard backfield - RBBC? :goodposting:

Anyone else a little concerned that the Benson injury scare + Scott's play+ the LJ signing will morph Cincy into the NFL standard backfield - RBBC? :wall:
Hell Yea. I think LJ is out of the picture though.I'd like to see them rest Benson one more week.Scott had nothing to do with that loss. Benson then should be ready for sure the Detroit game.I could handle an 80/20 or even 70/30 split starting against Detroit (Bensons favor)but absolutely nothing more.

KCC said:
Anyone else a little concerned that the Benson injury scare + Scott's play+ the LJ signing will morph Cincy into the NFL standard backfield - RBBC? :unsure:
No.If Benson is fully healthy, he will get 80% to 90% of the RB carries. The only thing I could see the Bengals doing is resting him at the end of blowouts. Of course, they haven't had many of those this year.

KCC said:
Anyone else a little concerned that the Benson injury scare + Scott's play+ the LJ signing will morph Cincy into the NFL standard backfield - RBBC? :thumbup:
Not in the least. I think the only danger of committee would be if Benson was seriously hurt for the remainder of the season and they decided that LJ was his replacement.Just think, a year ago at this time, did you think people would care this much about if Benson was starting?

As of now, I have Jamal Charles starting instead. If things change over the course of the week, I may switch, I really don't see that happening.

this uncertainty is going to drive me crazy. If I don't think Benson can play, I have to start Jacobs tomorrow night ....
I'm in the same boat. Good news is Bradshaw is out so Jacobs should put up decent points, but Benson would be a no brainer over him if we had confirmation that he'll play.

KCC said:
Anyone else a little concerned that the Benson injury scare + Scott's play+ the LJ signing will morph Cincy into the NFL standard backfield - RBBC? :goodposting:
This week: yes.Going forward: Not really, unless Benson just can't get healthy. I can see Scott getting worked in a little more since Benson was getting a ridiculous % of the carries and Scott played well. IF their position in the playoffs is set, I could see them giving Scott more and LJ the short yardage stuff to try to keep Benson fresh for the playoffs, but that's a big 'if' since it usually comes down to the last week or so in today's NFL.

Marvin Lewis on Cedric Benson: "I'll make a decision. I don't have any doubts that he's ready to play."

No clue what this means but there it is.

LINK

Good post. The tweet just before that said Benson will practice today to see how the hip feels so a decision can be made regarding Sunday.

I would guess that based upon what Benson tells Marv Lewis, Lewis will decide if he'll suit up or maybe put him on a "carry count".

From CBS Sportsline.................

Cedric Benson, RB CIN

News: Bengals RB Cedric Benson practiced Friday, and afterward, coach Marvin Lewis said Benson is ready to play. Whether he actually will, though, is up for debate and most likely will be a game-time decision. The team will want to see how Benson's body responds the day after a practice. He is listed as questionable for Week 12 vs. the Browns. Bernard Scott, who started in Benson's place last week, would start in his place again this week if Benson was ruled out.

Analysis: Even if he does play, the expectation is that he'd share the ball more than usual because it's his first game coming back from the injury. Ultimately, the Bengals can't help but feel like they can beat the Browns without Benson, and that keeping Benson as healthy as possible for the playoffs is what matters the most. If Benson plays, he'd be a decent No. 2 Fantasy RB with Scott possibly just as good as a No. 2 option. If Benson rests, Scott would be a solid No. 1 Fantasy RB since he'd see the strong majority of touches and go up against a sorry Browns run defense. Backups Brian Leonard and Larry Johnson's reps won't be enough for them to register on the Fantasy scale. We'll keep you posted on the Bengals' running backs this week and we'll be first to know whether or not he'll be active this Sunday on Fantasy Football Today, 11 a.m. ET here on CBSSports.com.

My gut tells me that they'll let him rest another week. It's Cleveland. I'm sure they can handle them with Scott & LJ.

"(FFToolbox) Despite the encouraging words from Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis yesterday, it seems less and less likely that running back Cedric Benson will play Sunday against the Cleveland Browns. Benson did not practice with the team on Thursday and still hasn't practiced since injuring his hip in week 10. He did do some work on the side field and according to the Cincinnati Enquirer, "there remains a slight possibility that he might play on Sunday." Lewis said during a Wednesday press conference that Benson would have a "good opportunity" to play this weekend. Rookie running back Bernard Scott got the start in Benson's place last week against the Raiders and ran for 119 yards on 21 carries. He would most likely get another start if Benson were to sit out week 12; Larry Johnson will get some spare carries."

Carver Lee said:
"(FFToolbox) Despite the encouraging words from Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis yesterday, it seems less and less likely that running back Cedric Benson will play Sunday against the Cleveland Browns. Benson did not practice with the team on Thursday and still hasn't practiced since injuring his hip in week 10. He did do some work on the side field and according to the Cincinnati Enquirer, "there remains a slight possibility that he might play on Sunday." Lewis said during a Wednesday press conference that Benson would have a "good opportunity" to play this weekend. Rookie running back Bernard Scott got the start in Benson's place last week against the Raiders and ran for 119 yards on 21 carries. He would most likely get another start if Benson were to sit out week 12; Larry Johnson will get some spare carries."
as a Benson (and Bernard Scott) owner, who will likely be playing for a # 1 playoff seed (and bye) in week 13, I too hope they sit Ced this week, and then unleash him on the Lions in week 13.

He better not play on Sunday, because I started Jacobs over him and Jacobs got me a measly 5 points on Thursday.

If Benson plays and goes off I'm going to be steaming.....

Carver Lee said:
as a Benson (and Bernard Scott) owner, who will likely be playing for a # 1 playoff seed (and bye) in week 13, I too hope they sit Ced this week, and then unleash him on the Lions in week 13.
I'm with you here.The last thing I need is to start Benson and have himget dinged early on, and come out of the game.

Carver Lee said:
I'm with you here.The last thing I need is to start Benson and have himget dinged early on, and come out of the game.
Wow. Guys, let us know how this all unfolds. IM, if possible.

Bengals | Lewis says Benson ready to play

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 08:19:08 -0800

Geoff Hobson, of Bengals.com, reports Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said Friday, Nov. 27, that RB Cedric Benson (hip) looks ready to play in Week 12 after watching him practice. However, Lewis is not yet ready to make a final decision on his status for the game. "I thought he was close to being able to play last week and obviously he's ready to play now," Lewis said. "I'll make a decision. I don't have any doubts that he's ready to play. Based on what he's done the last three days, I would say that he's probably healed pretty well."

it's a crap shoot...but I think Scott is the play here. I don't think we'll see Benson back after missing a full 2 weeks...I think there's a good chance of Bernie/LJ v. Cleveland, Benson gets a couple of good practices next week and goes against Detroit.

it's a crap shoot...but I think Scott is the play here. I don't think we'll see Benson back after missing a full 2 weeks...I think there's a good chance of Bernie/LJ v. Cleveland, Benson gets a couple of good practices next week and goes against Detroit.
amen to that.

Carver Lee said:
Don't bother reading then D-Bag. We might as well shut down all these forums until game time, because nobody knows for sure right now. Not even you.

Carver Lee said:
Don't bother reading then D-Bag. We might as well shut down all these forums until game time, because nobody knows for sure right now. Not even you.
See, you should have IM'd that, if possible.

Carver Lee said:
Who do you have on your bench, dork?

OK ladies, take your cat fight elsewhere.

Clayton just said on ESPN that Benson "seems that all systems will be a go today".

Another big week for Benson owners with playoffs approaching. LJ is scaring me and it seems like Benson was good to go in Week 12 until the last minute. Anyone have a sense on his status for Week 13? Was Marv Lewis just being ultra cautious because it was Cleveland?

Users who are viewing this thread