What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gym equipment recommendation from a fat guy (1 Viewer)

Otis said:
tri-man 47 said:
Statcruncher said:
That said, I was hefty in college and got in great shape using the Total Gym of all things. A low cal diet and some chest, back, and arm exercises on that thing were money.
Lol, if you only worked your upper body I'm pretty sure you weren't in great shape. And pardon me, but taking fitness advice from you should pretty much be the last thing anyone should do. Given your past, this thing will probably have a shelf life of about 3 weeks. Not that my opinion should carry anymore weight than yours, but here's a link to my thoughts on the Total Gym (the formatting sucks though).
Statcruncher - great comments over there. I'd used a Bowflex many years back in a university gym where I worked and really liked that machine.
Guess I just don't agree. I loved the upper body exercise I got out of the total gym. No, you're right, I didn't use it for lower body. I ran for that. And these days I have a short circuit workout courtesy of Tanner in another thread which I've found is fantastic for a lower body. So, my current plan is to combined that 10 minute circuit workout, which mostly hits lower body, with some total gym for chest, back, and arms (and which also, by nature of the machine, hits you in your core and all your stabilizing muscles).

I had a fantastic experience with the total gym. I thought it felt great and was great for trimming down and putting on some lean muscle up top. No, it's not for bodybuilder types or guys who want to look like Jersey Shore apes; and it probably doesn't fit the bill for a few other folks. But for a guy who's just looking for a little muscle and strength and a basic athletic build, it worked for me in the past.

:shrug:

Different strokes.
wai-wai-wai-wayaminute. You RAN for lower body strength training? I'm reading this right, yes?
No I ran to get a workout on my lower body and cardio. I never was interested in building bulky legs.
strength training your lower half does not mean you are going to get bulky legs, it's going to keep your body in balance. Ignoring your legs is a recipe for problems later.

I saw an exersize chart for this thing, and you can do a lot more stuff than I imagined.

Most people can't get bulky. You could train hard for hours and it's up to genetics how big you get (and PEDs if you choose).

I saw an exersize chart for this thing, and you can do a lot more stuff than I imagined.
I have a 15 year old version of this very machine. What Oats left out is the controlled stretch that you get on the return of each rep that you just don't get out of free weights. Haters gonna hate, but there is nothing wrong with it. Does it do everything? No. Nothing does everything. But it can provide an exhilarating workout. :thumbup:

glock said:
I have a 15 year old version of this very machine. What Oats left out is the controlled stretch that you get on the return of each rep that you just don't get out of free weights. Haters gonna hate, but there is nothing wrong with it. Does it do everything? No. Nothing does everything. But it can provide an exhilarating workout. :thumbup:
:hifive:

glock said:
:hifive:
Mine doesn't have any resistance bands- straight up gravity/body weight. Your model looks sweet.

If Chuck and Christy use it, that's good enough for me. :banned:

Users who are viewing this thread