What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hankerson time? (1 Viewer)

Hankerson starting over Morgan. Garcon also starting (but should be limited).

ETA: Hankerson started the game, but Morgan is now in for the 2nd drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
the team doesnt pass enough
He has 6 catches on 8 targets.
true but it seems like they are VERY conservative with RG3. alot of conservative, short passes
They've taken at least a few, aggressive deep shots downfield every game. It's what Kyle likes to do. And Griffin's attempts have gone up each game through the 1st three weeks. This week will probably end in a similar number to last week (34).That being said, Hankerson's value is still going to be somewhat limited. It will be tied to the competition in snaps he's going to have with Morgan. I don't see either of those guys backing down from trying to earn the #2 spot.

He has a high completion percentage, and yeah in some ways we're being conservative...but at one point in the game he had completed 20+ yard passes to five different players, and he drew some PI calls on a couple deep shots, which is almost as good as a completion to the team in real life.

I liked what I saw of Hank today.

I felt he looked clearly like the second best WR to Garcon on the Redskins.

I'm pretty optimistic about him going forward.

I liked what I saw of Hank today.I felt he looked clearly like the second best WR to Garcon on the Redskins.I'm pretty optimistic about him going forward.
Yup. Looks like he belongs. With Garçon in the lineup I think he's no more than injury or bye material but in deep leagues that alone can present good value. And if garçon is hurt I think he becomes a wr3

Boy is this hard to figure out or what?

Hankerson has major talent & gets 11 targets, but Garcon is still limited, Morgan still getting a share and Robinson hurt in freak pregame warmup collision.

So where is this thing going? Is there any way once Garcon is healthy he takes a commanding lead in targets or is Hank here to stay?

Boy is this hard to figure out or what?

Hankerson has major talent & gets 11 targets, but Garcon is still limited, Morgan still getting a share and Robinson hurt in freak pregame warmup collision.

So where is this thing going? Is there any way once Garcon is healthy he takes a commanding lead in targets or is Hank here to stay?
Your guess is as good as anyone's. It's been said that the X receiver (Garcon's position) has been the most productive for the Redskins but Hankerson played the Z and got 11 targets. The good thing about Hankerson is that he can play inside or outside so I expect him to get a far share of targets regardless of Garcon.

I added Hank in my PPR a few weeks ago and am happy with his progress and think he'll be a strong injury or bye week replacement type guy to have on my bench as the season progresses.

Boy is this hard to figure out or what?Hankerson has major talent & gets 11 targets, but Garcon is still limited, Morgan still getting a share and Robinson hurt in freak pregame warmup collision.So where is this thing going? Is there any way once Garcon is healthy he takes a commanding lead in targets or is Hank here to stay?
I think it'll vary widely from game to game based on what the opposing defense is doing. I think 9 different Redskins caught passes in the last game, and they prefer to run more than they pass. BTW, Garcon, Hankerson, and Morgan are all good run blockers according to the head coach. That won't affect their receptions, just thought I'd throw it in.

The Washington Times reports that Josh Morgan will be the Redskins' starting Z receiver in Week 5, bypassing Leonard Hankerson.

Morgan opened the season as the starter, was temporarily benched for Hankerson, and appears to have gotten his starting job back. Hankerson's snaps will be scaled back, making him a fantasy option to avoid in Week 5. We wouldn't look Morgan's way, either, for sneaky WR3 value. He'll be primarily a blocker against the Falcons, running short possession-type routes opposite Pierre Garcon.

Related: Leonard Hankerson

The Washington Times reports that Josh Morgan will be the Redskins' starting Z receiver in Week 5, bypassing Leonard Hankerson.

Morgan opened the season as the starter, was temporarily benched for Hankerson, and appears to have gotten his starting job back. Hankerson's snaps will be scaled back, making him a fantasy option to avoid in Week 5. We wouldn't look Morgan's way, either, for sneaky WR3 value. He'll be primarily a blocker against the Falcons, running short possession-type routes opposite Pierre Garcon.

Related: Leonard Hankerson
whoops, i guess i should've just put this here -- http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=661554

Today's Morgan news was the last straw. I dropped Hankerson today to add a fifth RB.

I own Pierre Garcon, and now that he is back to health, Hankerson is unlikely to crack my starting lineup. More of a roster management decision, than an indictment of Hankerson. I like his QB, target totals, and chances in the Redskins offense, and will keep him my free agent shortlist going forward.

Thanks to all involved for this thread.

Davis is out for the season and the news on Garcon is bleak to say the least.

Hank had 8 targets, 6 catches for 70 yards on the day. He dropped a deep pass that would have for sure put him over the century mark.

Don't let Moss's stat line fool you. He was only targeted 4 times through-out the game. One TD per every two targets isn't sustainable.

I'm back on the train. His upside might not be where I wanted but his floor in this situation is very high PPR wise.

Davis is out for the season and the news on Garcon is bleak to say the least.Hank had 8 targets, 6 catches for 70 yards on the day. He dropped a deep pass that would have for sure put him over the century mark.Don't let Moss's stat line fool you. He was only targeted 4 times through-out the game. One TD per every two targets isn't sustainable.I'm back on the train. His upside might not be where I wanted but his floor in this situation is very high PPR wise.
I can't figure this one out but obviously there is value to be had in the passing game, who knows how it would have been with Garcon but it sure looked like they had big plans.

I didn't watch the end of the game, but was tonight a fluke or a good sign for Hankerson going forward?

Garcon was in and out of the lineup in the 4th quarter, which is when Hankerson got the 2 TDs and all but 1rec,11yds of his production (5-80-2).

So I would say fluke, but also a good sign depending on what is up with Garcon.

Ya I'm high on Hankerson's size combo, but he got his stats when they were in desperation mode. If he can't supplant Morgan, he won't get consistent targets.

Garcon was in and out of the lineup in the 4th quarter, which is when Hankerson got the 2 TDs and all but 1rec,11yds of his production (5-80-2).

Agreed, like many players do early in the season, Garcon was suffering cramps.

I was worried saw his leg go limp during a play started to panic, but he came back in off and on. As the season goes, Garcon will be getting those scores.

I'm a Redskins homer and watched the game. This is a mirage. Not saying the kid doesn't have talent, but he isn't an every week fantasy producer. He doesn't even start for us. I guess he's a good play in games where we go down by 30, but good luck predicting when that will be.

Long time lurker and lifelong Redskins fan. I disagree with you that Hanks TD's had to do with Garcon being out of the game. On his first TD:

2nd and 3 at PHI 22 (Shotgun) R.Griffin pass short middle to P.Garcon to PHI 10 for 12 yards (B.Boykin). 1st and 10 at PHI 10 (Shotgun) R.Griffin pass incomplete short left to F.Davis [F.Cox]. 2nd and 10 at PHI 10 (Shotgun) R.Griffin pass short right to L.Hankerson for 10 yards, TOUCHDOWN. I would need a day to do screen shots of the formations to show he was there but he was. The Redskins were in hurray up as well when this play happened and Garcon setup the 1st TD and was in the game at the time.

As well he was in the game on his second TD as well

1st and 10 at WSH 11 (Shotgun) R.Griffin pass short right to J.Morgan to WAS 24 for 13 yards (B.Boykin, B.Fletcher). PHI-B.Fletcher was injured during the play. 1st and 10 at WSH 24 (Shotgun) R.Griffin sacked at WAS 16 for -8 yards (F.Cox). 2nd and 18 at WSH 16 (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Griffin pass to J.Morgan pushed ob at WAS 25 for 9 yards (P.Chung). 3rd and 9 at WSH 25 (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Griffin pass to P.Garcon to WAS 31 for 6 yards (J.Poyer). 4th and 3 at WSH 31 (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Griffin pass short left to J.Reed to WAS 35 for 4 yards (M.Kendricks). 1st and 10 at WSH 35 (Shotgun) R.Griffin scrambles left end pushed ob at WAS 47 for 12 yards (C.Williams). 1st and 10 at WSH 47 (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Griffin pass deep middle to L.Hankerson to PHI 26 for 27 yards (N.Allen). 1st and 10 at PHI 26 (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Griffin scrambles left end pushed ob at PHI 24 for 2 yards (F.Cox). 2nd and 8 at PHI 24 (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Griffin pass deep middle to L.Hankerson for 24 yards, TOUCHDOWN. 33 26 People in my eyes always discredit Hankerson and over value Pierre Garcon when discussing the Redskins WR's. Last season while Garcon played in 6 less games then Hankerson the stats were about the same with yard per catch average and TD's

2012 Hankerson

38 catches, 543 yards 14.3 average 3 TD's 2012 Pierre Garcon

44 catches 633 yards 14.4 average 4 TD's I'm a very long time fan of Hankerson since he was at Miami. His career in the NFL has to be mentioned imo when reviewing where he is at.

In 2011 his rookie season he didn't get to start until Week 9 and only saw action in four games. In his lone start he caught over 100 yards passing but had a bad injury to his Hip and was placed on IR.

In 2012 his second season he came out tentative at the start as he was still in recovery mode and had what I consider to be his rookie season. He played in all 16 games that year but rarely got the start. When he did start his best game occured when the Redskins went to Cleveland and Kirk Cousins was starting.

In preseason this year he's had some shinning moments like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPwc6shdkuU

He is entering what I consider his second season in the NFL as his rookie year was a wash. Alot of people don't realize that given how much time he lost with the 2011 lack of training camp then the freak injury and time to come back from it that he's actually flying so far under the radar. In my drafts he was the lone Redskin that I targeted late in rounds because for a 15th round selection I believe his end of the year stats will be 1000 yards and 8 TD's with him emerging as the WR you want to own in this offense which was tremendous value for the price tag. Last night was just the start of big things to come for Hankerson

...The Redskins were in hurray up as well when this play happened ...
Totally thought Seahawks when I read this and, in my mind, I heard Pete Carroll yelling Hoooray!

:lol:

Rotoworld:

Coach Mike Shanahan was pleased with Leonard Hankerson's Week 1 opener, saying the third-year receiver "needs some playing time."
We take that as Hankerson is in line to see the field more after his five-catch, 80-yard, two-touchdown performance on Monday night against the Eagles. "What a lot of people don’t see is the routes he is running and when he doesn’t get the ball and he’s open," Shanahan continued. "That’s what you are impressed with." Hankerson played 44 snaps, while starting Z receiver Josh Morgan was on the field for 34 plays. Hankerson may be able to overtake Morgan by mid-season.

Related: Josh Morgan

Source: ESPN.com

Haha I was all over Hank last year. It's fun going back and re-reading the comments.

I still like the dudes potential but I think it's safe to consider that WAS/PHI game a bit of an outlier. IMO, there's just too many mouths to feed on an offense that I don't project to generate much through the air this year.

I think the Skins will generate enough thru the air this year, but besides Garcon, I dont think anyone is worth a roster spot.

Im ready to cut Davis in a league where he's my TE1.

Long time lurker and lifelong Redskins fan. I disagree with you that Hanks TD's had to do with Garcon being out of the game.
Well, that's not actually what I said. All I said was Garcon was in and out of the lineup and Hankerson got the bulk of his production in the 4th quarter. The Skins were in 3 or 4-WR sets the entire 4th quarter, so I imagine they were in together on quite a few of those plays.

On his first TD:

2nd and 3 at PHI 22 (Shotgun) R.Griffin pass short middle to P.Garcon to PHI 10 for 12 yards (B.Boykin). 1st and 10 at PHI 10 (Shotgun) R.Griffin pass incomplete short left to F.Davis [F.Cox]. 2nd and 10 at PHI 10 (Shotgun) R.Griffin pass short right to L.Hankerson for 10 yards, TOUCHDOWN.I would need a day to do screen shots of the formations to show he was there but he was. The Redskins were in hurray up as well when this play happened and Garcon setup the 1st TD and was in the game at the time.

As well he was in the game on his second TD as well

1st and 10 at WSH 11 (Shotgun) R.Griffin pass short right to J.Morgan to WAS 24 for 13 yards (B.Boykin, B.Fletcher). PHI-B.Fletcher was injured during the play. 1st and 10 at WSH 24 (Shotgun) R.Griffin sacked at WAS 16 for -8 yards (F.Cox). 2nd and 18 at WSH 16 (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Griffin pass to J.Morgan pushed ob at WAS 25 for 9 yards (P.Chung). 3rd and 9 at WSH 25 (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Griffin pass to P.Garcon to WAS 31 for 6 yards (J.Poyer). 4th and 3 at WSH 31 (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Griffin pass short left to J.Reed to WAS 35 for 4 yards (M.Kendricks). 1st and 10 at WSH 35 (Shotgun) R.Griffin scrambles left end pushed ob at WAS 47 for 12 yards (C.Williams). 1st and 10 at WSH 47 (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Griffin pass deep middle to L.Hankerson to PHI 26 for 27 yards (N.Allen). 1st and 10 at PHI 26 (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Griffin scrambles left end pushed ob at PHI 24 for 2 yards (F.Cox). 2nd and 8 at PHI 24 (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Griffin pass deep middle to L.Hankerson for 24 yards, TOUCHDOWN. 33 26
Sorry, but play-by-plays don't show who was on the field for each play. This video does, and Garcon was in there on the first TD at 5:52. Note the black shoes on Hank, Garcon, and Moss. For the 2nd TD at 6:18, only black shoes I see are Hankerson's. I think it's Robinson, Hankerson, Reed, and Morgan in there on that one.

People in my eyes always discredit Hankerson and over value Pierre Garcon when discussing the Redskins WR's.
I think that's mainly because Mike Shanahan does the same with his depth charts. If / when that changes, I'll be the first to pay more attention to Hankerson. But I would suggest Hankerson set his sights on Morgan.

Last season while Garcon played in 6 less games then Hankerson the stats were about the same with yard per catch average and TD's

2012 Hankerson

38 catches, 543 yards 14.3 average 3 TD's2012 Pierre Garcon

44 catches 633 yards 14.4 average 4 TD's
Note the bolded. So Garcon averaged 63.3 yds & 0.4 TDs / game while Hankerson averaged 33.9 yds & 0.18 TDs / game. I know who I'd prefer if I was playing a week-to-week, head-to-head game.

I wholeheartedly agree Hankerson has a chance to emerge this year, but until such time as he's installed as the #2 WR, Garcon goes down again, or the Skins show they will continuously be playing from way behind (which might happen again next week at GB), I'm going to consider his week 1 stats flukish. YMMV.

I was pretty high on Hank when he came out but I admit going into this year I have been thinking that he is just star-crossed. I thought he was a watered-down version of Andre Johnson coming out of college that really didn't get featured but showed a lot of promise if he could focus in on what he was doing...but then he fell in the draft and went to a team I wasn't excited about. He shows something in a limited opportunity in his rookie year but then gets hurt. It looks like the door is open to be a starter the next year and the Washington football team dumps a load of money on freaking Josh Morgan. He plays well with cousins but seems an after-thought with RGIII.

He is the kind of guy I would love to have stashed on a dynasty team if I could and the price was right but I probably couldn't bring myself to pay much at all for him.

Will mention this since a lot of shark poolers often ask about "what's he going for, what's fair value, etc".

I was offered Leonard yesterday in a dynasty league by a guy who knows I liked him coming out for Knowshon Moreno (he has Hillman). I have NOT accepted the offer.

I think the Skins will generate enough thru the air this year, but besides Garcon, I dont think anyone is worth a roster spot.

I think this is spot on, unless Hankerson really puts it together or we invest in a seriously talented prospect in the future whose play demands targets. Outside of Garçon, nobody else is going to receive consistent looks.Griffin hit 11 different guys Monday night. 11. He spreads the ball around.

I didn't watch the end of the game, but was tonight a fluke or a good sign for Hankerson going forward?
From a guy who's owns him in most of his dynasty teams it was circumstantial. He was on the field a ton and RG3 didnt look his way most of the game. He's a gamble against teams that may have the talent to stop Garçon to me right now. Of course he has the pedigree to make me change my mind in a week or two. I just wouldn't chase him yet in a redraft.

I think this is spot on, unless Hankerson really puts it together or we invest in a seriously talented prospect in the future whose play demands targets. Outside of Garçon, nobody else is going to receive consistent looks.Griffin hit 11 different guys Monday night. 11. He spreads the ball around.
Yep, Griffin usually spreads the ball around. I haven't checked any stats on that, but it sure seems that way. Also, he's not going to throw 49 passes most games.In regards to Hankerson's production the other night, I don't think he was the primary receiver on either TD. Maybe going forward Kyle will calls plays for him, but maybe not.

I don't know. This kid was highly regarded coming out and was a high pick. This is year three and I like to look for guys like this....highly drafted/regarded with sub -par production entering a third year. Low cost/very high potential reward. I'm buying.

I don't know. This kid was highly regarded coming out and was a high pick. This is year three and I like to look for guys like this....highly drafted/regarded with sub -par production entering a third year. Low cost/very high potential reward. I'm buying.
I'll be excited if he starts catching balls away from his body with his hands, without bobbling them. His concentration is just lacking at this point, and though he's improved, almost every one of his catches seems 50/50 unless it's thrown into his lap. He's gawky and doesn't effectively use his size. He's timid and doesn't run great routes. I like him and he's talented, but as a Skins fan, I'll be pleasantly surprised if he ever lives up to his vast potential. He just doesn't look natural out there.

Users who are viewing this thread