What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help me build/design a house (1 Viewer)

Tiger Fan

Footballguy
So I built a house around 9 years ago, and I reached out to this forum and got a lot of great insight. It's not set in stone yet, but I might be building another house in the next 3 or so years. While I feel like I did a great job building the house, I realize that you can never be prepared for what you don't know (sounds obvious I know...but when you're considering a million things, it's easy to push aside things that don't have immediate relevance)....so I'm starting this thread to get out in front of that as much as possible, I know I won't catch everything, and I know that there are a zillion resources online, but I think what I've learned in my 20+ years on this forum is that I'm a pretty good representation of the population of the folks who post here.

In large, I have zero ideas on what a house with 2 teenage boys should like (beyond giving them their space). Also, I'd like for this to be the last house we're in, so need to consider long term as well, although priority is on next 15 years or so.  I do have two aging parents who live 15 minutes away, but I know we'll have to take care of them when they get older...not that they have to live with us...but I figured I'd mention it to get some thoughts going.

Why consider building a new house"

We could survive in our current house forever without a question.  If we build, it will be a nice to have and not a necessity...I don't want to portray that.  That being said, I'm all for building if it will enhance our lives over the long time.  Luckily, we're in a good financial position, where this is something we can consider.  Some drivers (in no particular order):

-We own the land outright (no debt) where we would be building.  Currently, we use that land (fenced in next to our current house) for a large field where our boys can basically just go outside and play anything.  As they get older, they will utilize this less and less as priorities change for boys.  I estimate that time to be about 3 or so years from now give or take.  I could sell the land, but as I mentioned above, we don't need the money and would end up just dumping it into retirement (which I very comfortably have under control right now)...so it's more of a "pay myself now" mentality with it.

-Given the above, as the boys get more independent, we'll likely be spending a lot more time at our house than we do currently (constantly shuffling them around to things)...so we want to maximize that to our preferences as much as possible

-More space in general.  I've always wanted a nice "man land" type area.  Currently have 4 bedrooms: 1 Master, 1 office, 1 playroom and 1 bedroom that the boys share.  Eventually, the boys will split and one will take over the playroom.  Wife works from home, so needs the office...also, we like having an "extra" room in general to adapt over time (current playroom, could be guest bedroom, etc)

So all that being said, please give me your thoughts/schtick/etc. Ask me anything, here are all of the pertinent details that I could think of...I'm sure y'all will think of more...I'm an open book

TF Notes
-wife and I are both 40 and we'll likely both retire before we're 55...maybe we'll work after that, but as of now, the plan is wide open and just to enjoy life.

-all of our close friends and family live close to us
-twin boys age 9.....they share a room now, assume they'll want their own room when teenagers for obvious reasons. Both do well in school, love sports, stereotypical boys
-Obviously, we have a budget in mind, but for the purpose of this thread, I'd like to keep everything open....no bad ideas
-We are very social.....we rarely "do nothing" on a weekend...typically involves hanging out at our house or a friends house watching football, cooking, drinking, etc. This is a huge part of our lifestyle
-I love being outside. I'm stuck inside a building all day at work and when I feel sunlight hit my body, it feels like a freaking drug. I have a nice setup right now where I can watch a bunch of games and hang outside with family friends. This is a huge priority.
-I'm super organized...my friends eff with me a bunch about how organized my garage and attic are...I'm just super disciplined...not a hoarder at all....I'm constantly getting rid of #### we don't use
-My time is worth more than my money....I hate any waste of time at all. I have no desire to worry about anything that I don't have to....I'm big into home automation, smart stuff, etc.

FWIW - here's a list of the current pain points or things to consider that I have observed with my current house.  Some could be fixed with renovation/quick fix, others couldn't.....but I just wanted to copy/paste to get the ball rolling.

Major Things (harder to fix on current house)

• Not enough natural sunlight
  • Garage vs. carport
  • Bigger laundry room
  • Playroom over the garage
  • Walk in attic
  • Brown gutters that don't show the dirt
  • Entire closet for wire panel
  • Griddle with hood (inside or outside)
Minor Things (easier to fix on current house)

• No Digital thermostat
  • Island with overhang for stools for everyone to sit
  • Key pad
  • Bathroom lighting that doesn’t suck
  • Consistent light bulb wattage throughout the house
  • Very bright lights outside
  • Foldable storage table for garage
  • Ice machine

So all that being said, what'cha got....I love this sorta ####, and I know y'all have some good ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all....  Where are you located?  What size of house are you looking at.  Lot size....  Maybe an idea of what you're hoping to spend.  Obviously we could could come up with some crazy fun ideas, but if they're not feasible moneywise, then what's the point.

As for easy things to consider based on what you've said.  I would go with a main floor master, with a second story that contains the other bedrooms.  One of the upstairs bedrooms should also be a master(or at least an ensuite).  Reason is...  your teenage boys will appreciate having their own "floor" as it is.  If you can also work a common area into the upstairs for their tv/entertainment, even better.  Also, if there is any chance of you having to look after your parents in the future, then they will need the main floor master.  This is why you'll want the separate one upstairs just in case.  

First of all....  Where are you located?  What size of house are you looking at.  Lot size....  Maybe an idea of what you're hoping to spend.  Obviously we could could come up with some crazy fun ideas, but if they're not feasible moneywise, then what's the point.

As for easy things to consider based on what you've said.  I would go with a main floor master, with a second story that contains the other bedrooms.  One of the upstairs bedrooms should also be a master(or at least an ensuite).  Reason is...  your teenage boys will appreciate having their own "floor" as it is.  If you can also work a common area into the upstairs for their tv/entertainment, even better.  Also, if there is any chance of you having to look after your parents in the future, then they will need the main floor master.  This is why you'll want the separate one upstairs just in case.  
Only constraint is land size 50' x 130'.  Let your imagination run free other than that.

:thumbup:   good stuff

A couple other thoughts:

--Extra insulation for help with sound as well as temperature control (no big/quick fluctuations)

-- An ADA accessible bathroom if you're thinking of taking care of parents there (wide enough doorway, shower/tub consideration, etc.)

Someone mentioned a nice mud room/laundry on the main level, but I'd also have a washer/dryer on the 2nd floor.

Given what you've said, a one-storey house would be ideal.  When you get older, that's a big deal.  (We know- we're there now.  The annoyance of going upsairs because I forgot one thing was just silly.)  Also, it makes things easier when your parents get older and want to visit.

We also made certain we got a house with a large, covered back porch.  Wonderful for just sitting outside with coffee.  Also great for entertaining and any other thing you can do with an outdoor space.  

Invest in a really good shower.  We remodeled ours to include a nice, big bench.  Also, it's a nice big space with a big glass door and a low, step-over rim.  Mr R thought he would be funny and suggested this shower fitting.  Except that I really liked it, so we have that in the standing area and this by the bench.  Best use of money ever.  

We also love the windows on this house.  They have the UVA/UVB protection built right in.  Saves on energy costs, and protects your stuff from the sun.  We get double use from the garden we had put in, since we can see it from inside as well as on the porch.  I can watch hummingbirds from my chair with my binoculars during football games.

The house came with a garage with an epoxy floor.  Didn't know we wanted one of those until we had it.  Sweet.

Hope this helps.

Someone mentioned a nice mud room/laundry on the main level, but I'd also have a washer/dryer on the 2nd floor.
I've noticed amongst some people locally, that they have two laundry rooms, one upstairs and one downstairs now to avoid the pain the ### of carrying laundry up/down

Given what you've said, a one-storey house would be ideal.  When you get older, that's a big deal.  (We know- we're there now.  The annoyance of going upsairs because I forgot one thing was just silly.)  Also, it makes things easier when your parents get older and want to visit.

We also made certain we got a house with a large, covered back porch.  Wonderful for just sitting outside with coffee.  Also great for entertaining and any other thing you can do with an outdoor space.  

Invest in a really good shower.  We remodeled ours to include a nice, big bench.  Also, it's a nice big space with a big glass door and a low, step-over rim.  Mr R thought he would be funny and suggested this shower fitting.  Except that I really liked it, so we have that in the standing area and this by the bench.  Best use of money ever.  

We also love the windows on this house.  They have the UVA/UVB protection built right in.  Saves on energy costs, and protects your stuff from the sun.  We get double use from the garden we had put in, since we can see it from inside as well as on the porch.  I can watch hummingbirds from my chair with my binoculars during football games.

The house came with a garage with an epoxy floor.  Didn't know we wanted one of those until we had it.  Sweet.

Hope this helps.
great stuff, thanks!

You noted some grievances, most are sort of bit picky. What is the primary driver for a new house? 

You noted some grievances, most are sort of bit picky. What is the primary driver for a new house? 
Good question, and I'll update the original post with this.

We could survive in our current house forever without a question.  If we build, it will be a nice to have and not a necessity...I don't want to portray that.  That being said, I'm all for building if it will enhance our lives over the long time.  Luckily, we're in a good financial position, where this is something we can consider.  Some drivers (in no particular order):

-We own the land outright (no debt) where we would be building.  Currently, we use that land (fenced in next to our current house) for a large field where our boys can basically just go outside and play anything.  As they get older, they will utilize this less and less as priorities change for boys.  I estimate that time to be about 3 or so years from now give or take.  I could sell the land, but as I mentioned above, we don't need the money and would end up just dumping it into retirement (which I very comfortably have under control right now)...so it's more of a "pay myself now" mentality with it.

-Given the above, as the boys get more independent, we'll likely be spending a lot more time at our house than we do currently (constantly shuffling them around to things)...so we want to maximize that to our preferences as much as possible

-More space in general.  I've always wanted a nice "man land" type area.  Currently have 4 bedrooms: 1 Master, 1 office, 1 playroom and 1 bedroom that the boys share.  Eventually, the boys will split and one will take over the playroom.  Wife works from home, so needs the office...also, we like having an "extra" room in general to adapt over time (current playroom, could be guest bedroom, etc)

There are probably a few others...as I think, i'll add in.

I've noticed amongst some people locally, that they have two laundry rooms, one upstairs and one downstairs now to avoid the pain the ### of carrying laundry up/down
Yep, especially if you may end up taking the 2nd floor master if your folks move in downstairs.

Also, however many outlets you think you need - triple it.

I'm a residential architect...primarily city apartments, but houses too. Wish I had more time to give you...just started a new, kinda high stress gig that'll have me buried until the gig is up. But I'm happy to review ideas and plans when you get there...

With the work from home, two boys, future adaptable room...and depending on how you like to live... I like the idea of having separate suites for each of those that can be self contained and able to be closed off with bathrooms en suite for each. Kids can go into their zone, wife can go to work, guests etc.

Eta...plus the hookers and laundry of course.

If I were building from scratch, I’d work to get “off the grid.”  Geothermal heating and solar (only to the extent those Tesla roof tiles are available before you build—I hate the ugly old school panels).  I love the idea of eliminating monthly expenses, and when your utilities crap out in a storm, you can keep on keepin on  

If not the above, whole house generator hooked up to your gas line is a no brainer  

Rainsoft whole house water filtration and softener with reverse osmosis at the drinking taps. 

For your lifestyle, outdoor kitchen an obvious must. I did one recently and we use it constantly   Needs a sink and water; fridge; grill on the gas line  

I think screened in porches are ugly; pay someone to come in each season and spray and you can solve the mosquito issue that way and still sit in the open air.  Include in ceiling speakers and ceiling fan, and hi hat lighting.  All hooked up to SmartThings.  We also installed outdoor heaters in the ceiling—they are amazing.  Makes what should be a 6 month outdoor space more like a 10 month outdoor space.  No brainer.  Our recent outdoor addition is the best thing we have ever done to a house

depending on climate, irrigation system if you don’t have it yet. Easy install if starting from scratch. 

If I were building from scratch, I’d work to get “off the grid.”  Geothermal heating and solar (only to the extent those Tesla roof tiles are available before you build—I hate the ugly old school panels).  I love the idea of eliminating monthly expenses, and when your utilities crap out in a storm, you can keep on keepin on  

If not the above, whole house generator hooked up to your gas line is a no brainer  

Rainsoft whole house water filtration and softener with reverse osmosis at the drinking taps. 

For your lifestyle, outdoor kitchen an obvious must. I did one recently and we use it constantly   Needs a sink and water; fridge; grill on the gas line  

I think screened in porches are ugly; pay someone to come in each season and spray and you can solve the mosquito issue that way and still sit in the open air.  Include in ceiling speakers and ceiling fan, and hi hat lighting.  All hooked up to SmartThings.  We also installed outdoor heaters in the ceiling—they are amazing.  Makes what should be a 6 month outdoor space more like a 10 month outdoor space.  No brainer.  Our recent outdoor addition is the best thing we have ever done to a house

depending on climate, irrigation system if you don’t have it yet. Easy install if starting from scratch. 

Absolutely agree with getting off the grid. Doesn't seem like the OP's style, but I'd build an earth ship.

And add an outdoor shower.

What will you do with house you're currently in if you build next door?

Rent it?

What about updating your current house and then building something for your parents next door that's super easy to live in for older folks?

Then you and your wife can move in there when you get older.

I'm a residential architect...primarily city apartments, but houses too. Wish I had more time to give you...just started a new, kinda high stress gig that'll have me buried until the gig is up. But I'm happy to review ideas and plans when you get there...
thanks...this won't be happening any time soon, but just getting the general ball starting and framing up thoughts.  

Appreciate it!

:thumbup:

What will you do with house you're currently in if you build next door?

Rent it?

What about updating your current house and then building something for your parents next door that's super easy to live in for older folks?

Then you and your wife can move in there when you get older.
Most likely sell, but renting is a consideration.

Building something small next door would be wasting the value of the land...hence one of the drivers (probably should have outlined that better in the OP).

Current house is a one story....so option for parents to live there is a possibility as well.

Thse ideas are winners.  We are considering the generator option.

Irrigation is a must.

Agree with the one story wide open floor plan. 

You should also consider just building off of your current house. Here in MD all that code requires is that one wall from the original structure remains and that will save you boatloads on permits and surveying and all that Jazz.

Ever think of putting a a 40'by60' barn, garage.  You could finish off a couple rooms for your boys as play Areas. Use the rest for toys and cars.

What will you do with the old house? Sell, rent? 

With the work from home, two boys, future adaptable room...and depending on how you like to live... I like the idea of having separate suites for each of those that can be self contained and able to be closed off with bathrooms en suite for each. Kids can go into their zone, wife can go to work, guests etc.

Eta...plus the hookers and laundry of course.
I was thinking this same thing. If it's a ranch style, put the master on one side and the other rooms on the opposite side. This also future proofs if the parents do move in with you. Gives them sense of independence and you some privacy. 

From an electronics standpoint, I'd run as much cable to as many areas as you can. Even if you don't put an outlet in the area, it's much easier to run the cables when the walls are open. 

A couple of things that I hate in our current house. We have a corner sink in the kitchen. The dishwasher is right next to it. Making it nearly impossible to stand at the sink and load the dishwasher. If I meet the guy that designed it, I'd punch him in the face.  If you live in an area that gets a lot of snow, have the house face south. I have to shovel twice as much as the guy across the street. Plus and ice or remaining snow never melts. Don't buy a lot on a golf course that is owned by the city. When we moved in, the golf course was privately owned. After annexation, the golf course sold to the city, the city leased it to someone else. They do a terrible job of mowing and maintaining the grass and trees that butt up to our property. 

Agreed with Mrs. R.

Being that you want this as a "grow old in house", the first thing I thought of was "no upstairs". 

I'm 53, and while it's no big deal now, I can clearly see where our stairs will be an issue. 

We built a house 3 years ago and building another one currently.  We are currently at the drywall stage, so it is winding down another one.  I’ve learned quite a bit in the last two builds.  Things that were important to me. No particular order, just typed them as they came to me. 

- Recess the mechanical floor couple inches.  Not hard for them to form that and pour it down further, but if you ever burst a water line/hot water heater it won’t flood the basement.  It will run down basement drain.  Cheap insurance if it would ever happen. 

- Garage door openers invest the couple $100 into side mount openers.  They are much quieter and they don’t have to take up ceiling space with the main room mounts.  We did liftmaster and then did the high track.  So the door track is higher on the ceiling to give you more space when the doors are open. 

- Screened in back porch and then extend the deck out so you get best of both worlds.  We put fireplace in the screened in porch with TV jacks above it.  

- Look at Trex new composite deck.  They make a lower cost composite that they have deeper grooves on the bottom so the material isn’t as much, but for all the decking I have it was about $1000 more to go from cedar to Trex.  No brainer so I don’t have to stain a deck again.  

- Run CAT 6 to all the TV jacks when they run the coax.  

- Insulate the interior walls.  ALL of them.  It will help the house be more soundproof. 

- Spend the money and sprayfoam.  We did a hybrid of 2” spray and then they did a wet blow in insulation to fill the rest of the cavity.  Helped keep cost down, but it is solid. 

-  Make sure you have an air exchange system or your furnace system and regulate the interior air.  Our first build was so tight the windows would sweat in the winter time because we didn’t put in an air makeup system.  

- Put stair way lights on the steps

- Put dimmers on room lights.  

- my wife is a night light nut, so we have hallway outlets with the night light built in.  Push button light that you can adjust or shut off.  $10 or $15 more on the outlet,  cheap investment. 

- Bedrooms wire in recess can lights in the corners and ceiling fan in the center. 

- put a couple electrical outlets in the soffits for Christmas lights.  

- walk the framing and think where are you going to have things and make sure you put plug ins in those locations.  

-  If you use pocket doors, make sure they don’t put your return air on the other side otherwise you don’t leave yourself a spot for light switch (learned on the first build)

- Drop gas line to deck for grill and to the garage for heater.  Even if you can’t swing the heater now, run the gas line.  

- Walk the outside and make sure you have waterhook ups in the right places.  Think where do you want to leave a hose exposed.  If you can put it around a bump out that is better to hid the hose reel.  

-  Run water hook up to garage and put drains in the floor.  

- If you have an open floor plan upstairs put outlet or two in the floor so you don’t have cords running across the walk way.  

- I learned this on the current build, but make sure your sewer and water dig team is aware where your driveway is running to they pack the back fill.  They didn’t do that in a spot and the ground settled but the driveway held.  So I need to bring in a mud jacking team and fill the void under the settled area. 

- Cabinet guy.  Look local at the small guys.  I saved over $12K by not going with the main guys, and finding a small shop one man band.  He offered to tour a couple of his homes to see the work.  After the first visit I said we didn’t need to go any further.  

-  If your hiring plumbers or electricians outside of your city, make sure they or you call the city to ask if there are any local codes that they need to be aware of.  learned this the hardway on my current build.  Put in the wrong sewer and the water line wasn’t type K copper. 

- Seal the driveway to prevent the pitting from the salt.  that is something cheap that you can do. 

- Spend some time and make the rooms unique.  Don’t just build a house with 12 x 12 bedroom, 16 x 14 master and all drywall. Put some materials not he ceiling or walls to make the house have some character.  Pinterest if you are struggling.  For example this house we are theming off the farmhouse with ship lap vaulted living room with rustic beam. 

That’s all I can think of that is worth putting down.   Good luck in your build. 

- one last thing that will save you in the future.  Run a couple 2” PVC pipes from the mechanical room will into the attic if you ever want to run some additional cabeling in the future after the build you have an easy access from mechanical room into the attic to drop the lines where ever you want.  

- one last thing that will save you in the future.  Run a couple 2” PVC pipes from the mechanical room will into the attic if you ever want to run some additional cabeling in the future after the build you have an easy access from mechanical room into the attic to drop the lines where ever you want.  
this 1000x, especially if you are filling all interior walls with insulation.  Maybe even put on in each room.  PVC is cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread