What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help me find a new job (1 Viewer)

We sounds like twins except I lean more on the tech side.  I think you could really broaden your horizons by learning SQL and some basic Python.

We sounds like twins except I lean more on the tech side.  I think you could really broaden your horizons by learning SQL and some basic Python.
Any free resources outside of YouTube or coursera you’d recommend?  I need to beef up my skills. Thanks 

Use Python every day in my field and do tons of database development. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Any free resources outside of YouTube or coursera you’d recommend?  I need to beef up my skills. Thanks 
I learned SQL via old fashioned on the job training.  I'm much less versed in Python and still learning.  Check out the learnpython subreddit.  There's a ton of good stuff in there.

I learned SQL via old fashioned on the job training.  I'm much less versed in Python and still learning.  Check out the learnpython subreddit.  There's a ton of good stuff in there.
Same here with SQL. I was thrown into a local DBA role at a job a long time ago and have kept going with it. I script people out of jobs on a daily basis. Jk. I write scripts to process data so people don’t have to do it manually and they can do more important things like day drinking. 

Same here with SQL. I was thrown into a local DBA role at a job a long time ago and have kept going with it. I script people out of jobs on a daily basis. Jk. I write scripts to process data so people don’t have to do it manually and they can do more important things like day drinking. 
Are YOU looking for a job? :whistle:

We have 3 offices in FL... but working in an office is not a requirement )unless you are incapable of working remotely)
I work for clients remotely all the time. I’m a GIS guy and my work is pretty niche. PM me with some details if you’d like. I’m always interested in what else is going on out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm six sigma certified it's horse####
I have an ASQ Green Belt because work would pay for it. Some of the principles add day-to-day utility, but I doubt I'd have paid for it if work didn't.

Next is a PMP from PRI I think. Wish I could just get an MBA paid for.

Had a weird moment.  Another manager called me today and was saying he's trying to get me to move to his department because he can see my potential and is afraid my boss is going to drive me away.  I thanked him but didn't want to say too much because I'm not a very trusting person in people and their intentions.  At least not at first.

But it made me feel better.  I know I'm kicking butt at this job.  And I'm being held back from what I could do to help all because of my boss.  It was nice hearing that someone else sees what's going on.

Had a weird moment.  Another manager called me today and was saying he's trying to get me to move to his department because he can see my potential and is afraid my boss is going to drive me away.  I thanked him but didn't want to say too much because I'm not a very trusting person in people and their intentions.  At least not at first.

But it made me feel better.  I know I'm kicking butt at this job.  And I'm being held back from what I could do to help all because of my boss.  It was nice hearing that someone else sees what's going on.
That’s cool, but I think your first instinct was the right way to handle that. You never really know who is a political animal & people will forge office alliances for their own advantage. Plus, who knows, maybe you move but The Idiot somehow survives - might have to deal with him down the road, only from a different perspective.

Proceed with caution (you already knew that.) 

I dunno. I think I would have bit at the stinky bait. I don’t think I would express any dissatisfaction with my current job, but I think I might have asked for more info on a prospective position in his department. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. But hey, I’m just a drunk on a barstool. 

That’s cool, but I think your first instinct was the right way to handle that. You never really know who is a political animal & people will forge office alliances for their own advantage. Plus, who knows, maybe you move but The Idiot somehow survives - might have to deal with him down the road, only from a different perspective.

Proceed with caution (you already knew that.) 
Yeah, I was talking to my wife about this and I don't think there's anything they could really offer me that would make me stay here over another job.  Of course, I have to find that other job first.   :lol:

But if I did get an opportunity to move departments, I think I'd take it, but keep looking for a new job.  At least it would get me away from my current boss.  

lumped in with Business Analyst, but it seems like lately when I search this category, it's filled with SQL and programming.  And that ain't me, sadly.  But I can't figure out a better title to search and my job searches are coming back with nothing that even closely matches.  
Try this search "Business Analyst" -SQL

I have probably applied to about 100 jobs and have gotten about 5 phone interviews.  Nothing further than that.  Even jobs where I seem like a perfect fit, I don't get a call back.  

I am miserable.  I hate this place.  

I have probably applied to about 100 jobs and have gotten about 5 phone interviews.  Nothing further than that.  Even jobs where I seem like a perfect fit, I don't get a call back.  

I am miserable.  I hate this place.  
You using a recruiter? They can cut out a lot of the BS in sending out resumes.

You using a recruiter? They can cut out a lot of the BS in sending out resumes.
I don't have a recruiter.  Don't know how to get one.  In Houston I had one and she was great.  But it was through a friend.  No one I know up here works in the field I do so I have no connections.  

Users who are viewing this thread