What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Here we go - My last mock of the year. 3 rounds. (1 Viewer)

:lmao:

Troy Edwards, Charles Johnson, Plaxico Burress

Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle-El, Kordell Stewart

Which group do you prefer ? :unsure:

I say stick with the hybrids....
I love Hines... don't get me wrong, and I've come to enjoy some of the gimmick plays, but I'd much rather forget the Stewart years. CJ and Plax were both solid picks.I get your point and don't necessarily disagree, I'd just love to see a prototypical wideout sometime.

I get your point and don't necessarily disagree, I'd just love to see a prototypical wideout sometime.
The problem is how few of those are actually around.The college ranks seem to be having trouble developing viable NFL receivers. I wonder why.

Indy is nt going RB in the first round , and of course not in the second cause there will be no decent RB available with their second round pick.

And i also think Cutler at 10 is a huge risk .

Last edited by a moderator:
A few other comments: I see 18 being Carpenter or Wimbley, not Lawson.
:shrug: That works too. I'm going to enjoy going back and seeing how many I got right in terms of teams taking a partcular position at a particular spot.
very intrigued by tampa going DB - could you say a little more on this one?
They have no depth at the position and Kelly and Barber are 9 and 10 year veterans, respectively, so age is starting to creep into that defense. Joseph seemed BPA for that spot.
I agree with the comment about their age, not so much on depth (juran bolden is pretty solid), but i think they could easily get a guy that fits as a cover 2 corner (cedric griffin, alan zemaitis) in the 2nd. Im sure you saw that I have Lawson going to Denver as a 4-3 DE in my latest mock.

I get your point and don't necessarily disagree, I'd just love to see a prototypical wideout sometime.
The problem is how few of those are actually around.The college ranks seem to be having trouble developing viable NFL receivers. I wonder why.
Just in terms of this mock, I'd rather see Avant than McNeal.History says you are more likely to be right than I am however.

:lmao:

Troy Edwards, Charles Johnson, Plaxico Burress

Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle-El, Kordell Stewart

Which group do you prefer ?  :unsure:

I say stick with the hybrids....
I love Hines... don't get me wrong, and I've come to enjoy some of the gimmick plays, but I'd much rather forget the Stewart years. CJ and Plax were both solid picks.I get your point and don't necessarily disagree, I'd just love to see a prototypical wideout sometime.
Neither guy ever lived up to my expectations, and the ones in the latter group exceeded them (Stewart at WR, not QB, that is) - that's all. I agree with you - a top notch deep threat with a pedigree would be nice, though.

San Diego Chargers1.19 Tye Hill , DB - Clemson2.50 D'Qwell Jackson , ILB - Maryland3.81 Jeremy Trueblood , OT - Boston College
Well done. I don't agree with any of the picks, but unlike 90% of the mocks I've seen, you've correctly identified the Bolts' needs, and likely order in which they fulfill those needs.I'd guess the chances the Bolts take a LB early are 50/50 right now, depending on AJ Smith's ability to move Edwards. Nice work Andy, as always. :thumbup:

According to who's available in Andy's mock, I think the Chargers would go:

1.19 Cromartie

2.50 Mangold

3.81 Zemaitis

For the Panthers, I'm thinking either Dusty Dvoracek for DT depth or Brodie Croyle for BPA.
They got their DL depth (especially the interior) taken care of in FA..I'd expect they'll end up with a RB, TE, OL, and LB/DE (most likely in that order) fro mteh first 4 picks.

They got their DL depth (especially the interior) taken care of in FA.
I disagree. I think they got their STARTERS taken care of in FA, but not their depth. Kemoeatu will be a starter. And Jenkins always seems to be hurt.
.I'd expect they'll end up with a RB, TE, OL, and LB/DE (most likely in that order) fro mteh first 4 picks.
Carolina Panthers1.27 LenDale White , RB - Southern Cal

2.58 Marcedes Lewis , TE - UCLA

3.88 Jesse Mahelona , DT - Tennessee

3.89 Gerris Wilkinson , ILB - Georgia Tech

So the only thing we disagree on is DT instead of OL. Not bad.

I find this:

New York Jets

1.4 D'Brickashaw Ferguson , OT - Virginia

1.29 Bobby Carpenter , OLB - Ohio State

2.35 Marcus McNeill , OT - Auburn

3.71 Charlie Whitehurst , QB - Clemson

3.97 Greg Eslinger , OC - Minnesota

Extremely hard to believe. You honestly think that the Jets will draft three O-lineman in the top 100 picks? :shrug:

For all that the Jets had O-line issues, that's just silly. The current line is:

LT - Adrian Jones

LG - Brandon Moore

C - Trey Teague

RG - Pete Kendall

RT - Anthony Clement

Of those, only Clement is unlikely to start in September. Yeah, I expect the Jets to draf three O-linemen, but not all on the first day. I also find it very hard to believe that Whitehurst will be their QB pick - it's a waste. Either they draft someone in the 1st or top of the 2nd, who could legitimately become a starter, or they don't draft any QBs this year. Whitehurst is just another backup in the making.

They got their DL depth (especially the interior) taken care of in FA.
I disagree. I think they got their STARTERS taken care of in FA, but not their depth. Kemoeatu will be a starter. And Jenkins always seems to be hurt.
.I'd expect they'll end up with a RB, TE, OL, and LB/DE (most likely in that order) fro mteh first 4 picks.
Carolina Panthers1.27 LenDale White , RB - Southern Cal

2.58 Marcedes Lewis , TE - UCLA

3.88 Jesse Mahelona , DT - Tennessee

3.89 Gerris Wilkinson , ILB - Georgia Tech

So the only thing we disagree on is DT instead of OL. Not bad.
By my count they have 5 DTs; Jenkins, Maake, Moorehead (who's a RFA), Damione Lewis, and Carstens. They aren't going into the season with 6 DTs on the roster. They need a OL-man more than they need a DT.

By my count they have 5 DTs; Jenkins, Maake, Moorehead (who's a RFA), Damione Lewis, and Carstens. They aren't going into the season with 6 DTs on the roster.

They need a OL-man more than they need a DT.
The last three maybe make one complete player.

By my count they have 5 DTs; Jenkins, Maake, Moorehead (who's a RFA), Damione Lewis, and Carstens.  They aren't going into the season with 6 DTs on the roster. 

They need a OL-man more than they need a DT.
The last three maybe make one complete player.
From a Panthers Perspective

• That there are only two elite prospects at defensive tackle is the major reason the Panthers addressed this position heavily in free agency by signing Maake Kemoeatu and Damione Lewis. With the return of a healthy Kris Jenkins and Jordan Carstens, and Kindal Moorehead still on the roster, this is one of the team's deepest positions.

• The Panthers also are in good shape at end with Peppers and Mike Rucker as starters and Al Wallace as a top sub. Lewis also has the skills to line up outside at times, and the Panthers are high on second-year player Jovan Haye. If they use a pick on a defensive lineman it won't come until the late rounds.
From CharlotteHere's a good overview with some names Link

A few other comments: I see 18 being Carpenter or Wimbley, not Lawson.
:shrug: That works too. I'm going to enjoy going back and seeing how many I got right in terms of teams taking a partcular position at a particular spot.
very intrigued by tampa going DB - could you say a little more on this one?
They have no depth at the position and Kelly and Barber are 9 and 10 year veterans, respectively, so age is starting to creep into that defense. Joseph seemed BPA for that spot.
I agree with the comment about their age, not so much on depth (juran bolden is pretty solid), but i think they could easily get a guy that fits as a cover 2 corner (cedric griffin, alan zemaitis) in the 2nd. Im sure you saw that I have Lawson going to Denver as a 4-3 DE in my latest mock.
Tampa and Green Bay are the only two rumored to be persuing Charles Woodson. That's a lot of $ to concider paying if its not a need.

• That there are only two elite prospects at defensive tackle is the major reason the Panthers addressed this position heavily in free agency by signing Maake Kemoeatu and Damione Lewis. With the return of a healthy Kris Jenkins and Jordan Carstens, and Kindal Moorehead still on the roster, this is one of the team's deepest positions.

• The Panthers also are in good shape at end with Peppers and Mike Rucker as starters and Al Wallace as a top sub. Lewis also has the skills to line up outside at times, and the Panthers are high on second-year player Jovan Haye. If they use a pick on a defensive lineman it won't come until the late rounds.

From Charlotte
Good info there. Which offensive lineman would you like to see here then? Some of the top tackles left are:

Zach Strief Northwestern 6-7 5/8 330 5.43

Paul McQuistan Weber St. 6-6 1/8 312 5.07

Isaac Sowells Indiana 6-3 1/2 334 5.15

Guy Whimper East Carolina 6-4 3/4 304 4.95

Guards:

Jason Spitz Louisville 6-3 1/2 313 5.38

Rob Sims Ohio St. 6-2 3/4 307 5.24

Kevin Boothe Cornell 6-4 3/4 316 5.41

Mark Setterstrom Minnesota 6-3 3/4 314 5.41

Centers:

Ryan Cook New Mexico 6-6 5/8 318 5.50

Mike Degory Florida 6-5 1/2 305 5.39

Patrick Ross Boston College 6-3 1/2 301 4.96

Good info there. Which offensive lineman would you like to see here then?

Some of the top tackles left are:

Zach Strief Northwestern 6-7 5/8 330 5.43

Paul McQuistan Weber St. 6-6 1/8 312 5.07

Isaac Sowells Indiana 6-3 1/2 334 5.15

Guy Whimper East Carolina 6-4 3/4 304 4.95

Guards:

Jason Spitz Louisville 6-3 1/2 313 5.38

Rob Sims Ohio St. 6-2 3/4 307 5.24

Kevin Boothe Cornell 6-4 3/4 316 5.41

Mark Setterstrom Minnesota 6-3 3/4 314 5.41

Centers:

Ryan Cook New Mexico 6-6 5/8 318 5.50

Mike Degory Florida 6-5 1/2 305 5.39

Patrick Ross Boston College 6-3 1/2 301 4.96
Looks to me like Lutui would be there in the 3rd at their pick. That would make some sense, but maybe even better, take the lineman in the 2nd round instead of the TE?

According to who's available in Andy's mock, I think the Chargers would go:

1.19 Cromartie

2.50 Mangold

3.81 Zemaitis
I liked Andy's picks for SD much better. I'm not as optimistic Trueblood slides to SD in the third though.Why 50/50 on inside LB and why does it hinge on Edwards leaving this year? The handwriting is on the wall both Godfrey and Edwards will be gone next year, and as you point out there's even a chance Edwards will be gone before the season starts this year.

Good info there. Which offensive lineman would you like to see here then?
Sounds like they want a tackle, but I'd guess they'd take the BLA (and I have no clue who that is this deep in the draft). I also wouldn't be surprised if they went after a Safety at some point to groom behind Minter.

LOVE the draft for the Jets. Also like Denver and Dallas.

I think it is very unlikely that the Pats will take Richard Marshall in the first round. I like Bobby Carpenter there. I think if Marshall is there at the beginning of the 2nd round (which he should be), the Pats could use one of their 3rd round picks to move up in the 2nd and get him.

I also dont think the Nick Mangold would get past the Eagles in the 2nd round to Pittsburgh.

Other than that, nice job. :thumbup:

Andy, in addition to the Cowboy comments earlier, I was surprised to see TN NOT picking a LB in round 2. Fisher has publicly stated that there are a lot of good LBs this year and its a definitely a big need for them. I'd frankly be shocked if they didn't draft a LB in the second.

What are your thoughts on the Titan's second round pick? TN got 2 decent corners out of last year's draft. Thats assuming Pacman stays out of jail.

Looks to me like Lutui would be there in the 3rd at their pick. That would make some sense, but maybe even better, take the lineman in the 2nd round instead of the TE?
Most of what I've read has Lutui going in mid/late 2nd round. I think if they go OL in the third round I'd bet Derek Morris or Jonathon Scott.Maybe a Colledge/Lutui/Trueblood/Spencer makes more sense at the end of the second round and in the third round take a TE(Fasano?). It's possible one of Pope/Byrd/Klopfenstein slide and become a great value at the end of the third.

Andy, in addition to the Cowboy comments earlier, I was surprised to see TN NOT picking a LB in round 2. Fisher has publicly stated that there are a lot of good LBs this year and its a definitely a big need for them. I'd frankly be shocked if they didn't draft a LB in the second.

What are your thoughts on the Titan's second round pick? TN got 2 decent corners out of last year's draft. Thats assuming Pacman stays out of jail.
That was my assumption, that Pacman is a headache that needs addressing. So I went CB instead of LB, even though I think LB is probably a better pick.

Wow, after looking at your TE's I noticed you had plenty of them going early(FIVE in the second round) and it was interesting you had M.Lewis as the 5th TE in taken in the second round. I don't pay that much attention to the combine, did he have a bad one? I thought he was the 2nd/3rd best TE out there.

Wow, after looking at your TE's I noticed you had plenty of them going early(FIVE in the second round) and it was interesting you had M.Lewis as the 5th TE in taken in the second round. I don't pay that much attention to the combine, did he have a bad one? I thought he was the 2nd/3rd best TE out there.
The TE's are all over the board. And Klopfenstein has really moved up the boards. Lewis hasn't had a very good offseason from most accounts.And the TE position has experienced a renaissance in the NFL the last 5 years thanks to Gonzalez, Heap, Gates, and Shockey.

LT - Adrian Jones

LG - Brandon Moore

C - Trey Teague

RG - Pete Kendall

RT - Anthony Clement
Offensive certainly describes those linemen.
Whitehurst is just another backup in the making.
For some reason, I don't think so.
Kendall and Teague are both quality vets. Brandon Moore is fine at Guard. Clement need to become a backup. But you have them drafting THREE o-linemen in the top 100. That's just wild. I will bet you that there's no way they take three O-linemen in the top 100 - in fact, without looking at the data, I would bet that a team has NEVER taken three O-linemen in the top 100.There are other rounds in the draft beyond the ones you mocked, and O line is probably the deepest position in the draft. After all the Jets have needs at every offensive position and at DE and LB.

Houston Texans

1.1 Reggie Bush , RB - Southern Cal

2.33 Eric Winston , OT - Miami

3.65 Daniel Bullocks , SS - Nebraska

3.66 Darryl Tapp , DE - Virginia Tech

Great job on your mock, a lot of thought evident here.

As a Houston fan I think that you nailed what they would like to do. Not sure Winston makes it into the second. Based on 05 I'd agree but he was coming off a knee reconstruction. Looking at his quickness and the potential he showed in earlier seasons I think he may go in the 1st.

I'd love to see the Texans trade down and take either Super Mario or Da' Brick and then using an additional pick that they get in the deal to take an OT or DE whichever they don't get in the first. But I don't see anyone in the top 5 (where they would need to be to make this work) wanting Bush bad enough to make this a possibility.

Any thoughts?

Cincinnati Bengals

1.24 Donte Whitner , SS - Ohio State

2.55 Joe Klopfenstein , TE - Colorado

3.91 Stanley McClover , DE - Auburn
I think you have hit the nail on the head with the positions for the first 3 picks, but here is a possible alternative as I see it and based on who might be available. 1.24 Mathias Kiwanuka, DE - Boston College

2.55 Daniel Bullocks, SS - Nebraska

3.91 Tony Scheffler, TE - W Michigan

Unless Pope is available in round 2 (which he wasn't in this mock), I see the Bengals waiting until round 3 and hoping someone falls.

Kendall and Teague are both quality vets.
I bet you'd get a lot of argument that they're not.
There are other rounds in the draft beyond the ones you mocked, and O line is probably the deepest position in the draft. After all the Jets have needs at every offensive position and at DE and LB.
:shrug: When the need's that great and the opportunity presents itself, why not?If I were a Jets fan, I'd be anything but disappointed if it ended up this way.

They're not going to rebuild that team in one draft/one season anyway.

I'd love to see the Texans trade down and take either Super Mario or Da' Brick and then using an additional pick that they get in the deal to take an OT or DE whichever they don't get in the first. But I don't see anyone in the top 5 (where they would need to be to make this work) wanting Bush bad enough to make this a possibility.

Any thoughts?
Of course the Texans should trade down. The problem is that any team with the horsepower in picks isn't willing to trade up for Bush and the Texans can't accept less than the pick is worth. So they're stuck.

Cincinnati Bengals

1.24 Donte Whitner , SS - Ohio State

2.55 Joe Klopfenstein , TE - Colorado

3.91 Stanley McClover , DE - Auburn
I think you have hit the nail on the head with the positions for the first 3 picks, but here is a possible alternative as I see it and based on who might be available. 1.24 Mathias Kiwanuka, DE - Boston College

2.55 Daniel Bullocks, SS - Nebraska

3.91 Tony Scheffler, TE - W Michigan

Unless Pope is available in round 2 (which he wasn't in this mock), I see the Bengals waiting until round 3 and hoping someone falls.
Kiwanuka is not a first round pick anymore. He's barely a 2nd.Now, if you want to slip Darryl Tapp into that first round pick (he seems like the type of guy they like) then I can see the other two falling that way, sure.

Interesting. I think the Vikes would take Lawson or J. Williams over DeAngelo.
I'm big on Jon Alston to fill that fast linebacker role they're looking for.Why do you think CB in the first? I just don't see the Vikings doing that.

Why do you hate Will Blackmon?
Because switching positions in your senior year sets you back.
Side bet he goes in the first 3 rounds?
Nope.
This kid is an outstanding athlete. Was a great corner as well and will immediately help in the return game. Too bad for him that he switched positions for the better of the team and killed his draft value. Someone may get a steal with this kid... all they need to do is give him a year to get back into CB under a solid mentor.

Sorted by team.

Minnesota Vikings

1.17 DeAngelo Williams , RB - Memphis

2.48 Jon Alston , OLB - Stanford :thumbup:

2.51 Max Jean-Gilles , OG - Georgia

3.83 Omar Jacobs , QB - Bowling Green

3.95 David Pittman , DB - Northwestern State
I definitely want the Vikings to draft Alston instead of Simms. I would be surprised if Manigold fell to 2.64. Too many teams need centers and I think both Mangold and Eslinger go early.

Why do you hate Will Blackmon?
Because switching positions in your senior year sets you back.
Side bet he goes in the first 3 rounds?
Nope.
This kid is an outstanding athlete. Was a great corner as well and will immediately help in the return game. Too bad for him that he switched positions for the better of the team and killed his draft value. Someone may get a steal with this kid... all they need to do is give him a year to get back into CB under a solid mentor.
This kids a first round talent and would probably have gone there if he hadn't been moved to WR. I know this is a deep draft, but on some draft boards they have him as a WR & others he's a CB. There will be a couple of teams that will grab him in late 2nd, early 3rd. They'll know where to play him. I think his best position is CB, but he's got the game to mek it as a WR.

I think this mock is very up-to-date and very indicative how the first round may turn out.

I think

...Ngata and Bunkley should be flip-flopped (personal preference)

...If Cutler gets to Arizona, I don't think Arizona takes him
You forgot Kellen Clemens? He will be a better NFL QB than Cutler and might have a better career than Young. He's climbing up the boards!!

I have second thoughts about Ourlads. Their mock has Haloti Ngata lasting until the 24th!!! pick
good call on Ngata, Andy, as he is a stone cold lock to the Ravens @13 if still on the board.......which is exactly why Phil grab's him @12, to rotate behind Ted Washington in Romeo's 3-4---just as you've called it!

hopefully there is a senario that has the Ravens sliding back in round 1, as the need for OT, DT and SS on day 1 are too great to only make 2 selections in the first 110+ picks

hopefully there is a senario that has the Ravens sliding back in round 1, as the need for OT, DT and SS on day 1 are too great to only make 2 selections in the first 110+ picks
No doubt. This is a bad year to be caught short on draft picks.The Vikings and Jets are in position to set up their franchise for the next 5 years if they draft well.

I'm hesitant to say they will, looking at the Jets' track record and the fact that the Vikings crew is going through their first draft together.

Washington has it the worst. Hope you 'Skins fans have fun at your draft parties! :lmao:

You have the Redskins taking Terna Nande in the second, which I think is a major reach. They could probably still get him with their 5th rounder. If the draft falls like this, I don't see how they could pass on Davin Joseph, Nick Mangold, Deuce Latui, Marcedes Lewis, Daryll Tapp, etc. to make that pick. I think Joseph would be the pick there, with Lewis as option 1b.

You have the Redskins taking Terna Nande in the second, which I think is a major reach. They could probably still get him with their 5th rounder. If the draft falls like this, I don't see how they could pass on Davin Joseph, Nick Mangold, Deuce Latui, Marcedes Lewis, Daryll Tapp, etc. to make that pick. I think Joseph would be the pick there, with Lewis as option 1b.
I see their linebacking corps as a trainwreck and thought they'd go BPA at that position. I think you underestimate Nande. Of course, I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread