What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hidden Rookie Gems - 2015 (1 Viewer)

Borden

Footballguy
I know there is a recent thread on here with sleeper but the purpose of these threads is so that you don't have to dig through all the other stuff. Anyways, I will get the first few started.

Mike Hull - LB - Miami via Penn St. - UDFA

Why he is hidden: He went undrafted because he was considered too small (6 foot, 232) and had to get his knee scoped. Of course there is some weaknesses in his game too.

Upside: He lead the BIg 10 in tackles with 140. A former teammate (OJ McDuffie) has said about Hull; "He was the heart and soul of that Penn St team. I mean the entire team, not just the defense." I don't think the Dolphins have such a stacked LB core that he can't work his way onto the field in the near future.

Hull vs Ohio St - 2014

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/mike-hull-vs-ohio-state-2014/

Cons: He gets washed out by the second level OL most of the time and he isn't the best tackler.

Pros: His best skill is play diagnosis and reaction. He has decent speed to the sideline and can really knife through the line at times. Does a decent job in pursuit. Seems to do alright in zone coverage.

Taiwan Jones - LB - Jets via Michigan St. - UDFA

Why he is hidden: Slow (4.95 at the Combine), 2 down backer with poor instincts.

Upside: Big, heavy hitting ILB. Was a respected leader on the team. Was able to transition from OLB to ILB and make the adjustments for the fronts in 2014. Played every game in his 4 year college career.

Jones vs Nebraska - 2014

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/taiwan-jones-vs-nebraska-2014/

Cons: Loses track of the ball at times during interior runs and when he blitz's. Rarely but at times does lose ground to the OL at the second level and can be slow to disengage. Doesn't bring enough force when making sideline or downfield tackles (basically, he doesn't blow up WRs and backs whenever he gets the chance). The odd time he telegraphs his blitz's. Gets that excited dog on leash thing going.

Pros: Good effort in pursuit. Solid tackler. Can push back the center of the pocket (guards and centers) when he decides to blitz with a full head of steam. For a guy that a 4.88 and a 4.82 at his pro day, he gets moving pretty good at times. Can maintain control while engaged with OL that allows his to slide, disengage and make tackles. Did see him make some correct reads in pass coverage.

Derrick Malone - LB (SS) - Falcons via Oregon - UDFA

***This one is a way out there view from me. Feel free to make fun of me for this one.***

Why he is hidden: "Too small. Good college player, but doesn't have enough play strength." -- NFC scout assigned to Pac-12

Upside: I think the Falcons new head coach saw a SS in Malone not a LB.
Here is Malone's Pro Day:
Height: 6013
Weight: 230
40 Yrd Dash: 4.71
20 Yrd Dash: 2.75
10 Yrd Dash: 1.70
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 25
Vertical Jump: 29 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.39
3-Cone Drill: 7.09
Here is Kam Chancellor's Combine:
Height: 6032
Weight: 231
40 Yrd Dash: 4.69
20 Yrd Dash: 2.77
10 Yrd Dash: 1.65
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 22
Vertical Jump: 32
Broad Jump: 09'08"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.41
3-Cone Drill: 7.36
40 Time Range: 4.62-4.76

Now before the pitch forks come out, I'm not saying Malone is an All-World stud or anything like that. What I'm saying is that up until a few months ago this was basically a home town kid for Quinn. He may have been a little more in tune with Oregon then most teams (except maybe Philly but Chip isn't a defensive mind). If Malone could turn into a starting SS for the Falcons then he doesn't need to be Kam Chancellor for FF purposes. Malone likely spent a bunch of time in coverage playing for the Ducks too. Draft Breakdown only has one video of him so it's difficult to get a good read on him moving to SS. He doesn't hit like Chancellor though.

Malone vs Washington - 2013
http://draftbreakdown.com/video/derrick-malone-vs-washington-2013/

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job man. Those are so hidden that they are non-existent. Well done!
:hophead:

In 16-team IDP dynasties that break apart DE/DT and S/CB, guys like this are nice last-round finds.

I had both Hull and Jones on my "last round sleeper" list.

Unfortunately for Hull, he's listed as a backup SLB, which traditionally is the worst LB spot to be in fantasy production-wise.

Jones, on the other hand, appears to be David Harris' backup at the LILB spot according to one depth chart site I use. Harris is rather long in the tooth and heck, could always go down with injury too.

Mario Edwards (DE - OAK): Landed him in a 12-team IDP dynasty as Mr. Irrelevant. Big and athletic as all heck. Only an aging Justin Tuck in his way.

Kwon Alexander (LB - TBB): Listed as a backup to Lavonte David on one depth chart site. Wherever he ends up backing up (maybe the coveted WLB spot in the Tampa 2), he will have some value.

Henry Anderson (DE - IND): Another guy that's listed in various backup roles depending on the depth chart you look at. Probably a DE and there's absolutely no talent ahead of him.

Bryce Hager (LB - STL): #3 MLB in STL. Lauranaitis is firmly entrenched there, but ish happens. Hager was highly productive at Baylor and has very good measurables.

Trey Flowers (DE - NEP): Will be the incumbent to Rob Ninkovich.

Jake Ryan (LB - GBP): Very little in his way in Green Bay. Better than expected measurables.

*** Not sure if some of these guys are still considered "late round sleepers", but this was the list I prepared a week or two back before most drafts had kicked off.

Raiders selected Kansas LB Ben Heeney with the No. 140 overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft.
Heeney (6'0/231) was a consensus first-team All-Big 12 selection in 2014, finishing his career with 35.5 tackles for loss and four INTs. He showed terrific athleticism at the Combine, running 4.59 with a 10-foot broad jump and recording top times in the shuttle and cone drills. Heeney is undersized and gambled too often in college, but shows the requisite movement skills to hold up in pass coverage and is willing to get physical. He projects best as a rangy "run-and-hit" outside 'backer in a 4-3.

Based on the general condescending rudeness this board has at times I'm guessing that was a sarcastic comment but I am going to error on the side of good will. So thank you.

My plan is when I see or hear something good about one of these guys from camp reports or otherwise, I will try to post them with hopefully a bit analysis.

Based on the general condescending rudeness this board has at times I'm guessing that was a sarcastic comment but I am going to error on the side of good will. So thank you.

My plan is when I see or hear something good about one of these guys from camp reports or otherwise, I will try to post them with hopefully a bit analysis.
Think maybe that was directed at me for just posting a .

Thoughts on Cody Prewitt? Dude went undrafted, but was 2nd team all-america and 1st team all SEC as a senior at Ole Miss. Great stats and measurables.

Hadn't heard of Cody Prewitt before. After watching some film you see why he went undrafted but I also saw why he got signed. I think he found a pretty good home with the Titans and the LeBeau/Horton defense.

As a FS: Prewitt has the long speed to cover deep but his change of direction, burst and unwillingness to run full speed become an single high ball hawk. He does do a good enough job of recognizing routes that he can jump routes.

As a SS: He has the frame to be solid box safety but he rarely gives out big hits, doesn't wrap well and can get deke'd out. He will at times just dance with a ball carrier or try to just hold them up long enough to wait for help to arrive. It seems like he generally doesn't want to engage in contact.

His best fit is a cover 2 safety where he can run north/south and doesn't need to be overly involved in the run game. It looks to me like he is bad at tackling and knows so he will hesitate or resist going all out. In the LeBeau/Horton scheme he could do well. I think if Prewitt is able to pick up the system well he could be an acceptable starter for the Titans. The SS spot is fairly open in Tennessee so Prewitt is going to get a shot but he needs to play with confidence and a deep knowledge of the LeBeau system. Definitely a great hidden gem to watch for.

Truly appreciate this thread and yes, just picked up Mike Hull, you should too.

3 INTs in 3 practices with dolphins and looking like a beast that he is. Cheap guy who won't cost you much even if it does not pan out.

:thumbup:

Bronx Bomber said:
Jake Ryan (LB - GBP): Very little in his way in Green Bay. Better than expected measurables.

*** Not sure if some of these guys are still considered "late round sleepers", but this was the list I prepared a week or two back before most drafts had kicked off.
This UDFA could get in his way.
I can't find him on MFL, is he in there?
this the answer i got from mfl.

Since the vast majority of non-drafted Free Agents (including supplemental draft players) never make the final cuts, we generally only add non-drafted Free Agents in the off-season if they make the #1 or #2 spot on an official depth chart (#1 for Kickers and Punters) or they make an official 53-man roster in early September.

Clayton Geathers - S - Indy via Central Florida - 4th round

Draft Breakdown:

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/clayton-geathers/

Not a great open field tackler or hard hitter but he's not afraid to tackle either. Does well with holding true to his assignments. Mostly times his route jumps well.

My favorite thing I saw was that he does well on keeping contain on punts. Means nothing for FF but it might help him see the field and stay on the team while he develops.

Henry Anderson (DE - IND): Another guy that's listed in various backup roles depending on the depth chart you look at. Probably a DE and there's absolutely no talent ahead of him.
(Rotoworld)Colts signed third-round DE Henry Anderson to a four-year contract.

Analysis: Anderson (6Â’6/294) played in multiple roles at Stanford, but is expected to be a five-technique in Chuck PaganoÂ’s scheme. He showed better than expected athleticism at the Combine, finishing as a top performer in the three-cone and 20-yard shuttle. Anderson should push for rotational snaps behind Kendall Langford and Art Jones.

Clayton Geathers S, Colts

Caraun Reid DT, Lions - for leagues where you break out DE vs DT

Last edited by a moderator:

I can't find him on MFL, is he in there?
Not yet, don't know what's taking Rotoworld so long, they were much faster with offensive players. I don't see any UDFA defensive guys added yet.

Pushing all my chips to the middle of the table on Jake Ryan.
I've been watching this as I followed Ryan as a recruit and like him a lot. However, the news that Barrington was calling plays in OTA's doesn't bode well for Ryan's initial role on the team. If Barrington avoids f'ing it up, "Sixteen Candles" would need Matthews to go back to OLB full time and I'm not confident that happens ...this year.

Don't like the person one bit, but Frank Clark (SEA via UM) is someone to monitor. Drafted early enough to suggest Seattle will give him plenty of opportunity and was very productive on a lousy UM defense. For a guy with his rapsheet to get this much rope, he must be bringing something special to the table.

I drafted Clark late or added him via wire in every league Im in.

As per poster above, there are questions about him as a person. Come December this year Im not expecting any questions about him as a player.

Users who are viewing this thread