What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Holding IR Players through the Offseason (1 Viewer)

eighsse2

Footballguy
I have always been a long-shot stasher. Whether it's a healthy prospect getting little to no playing time taking up the last spot on my active roster, or a prospect in an IR slot that I wouldn't even own if he were healthy. Our league settings allow 8 players in the lineup, 12 players on the bench, 5 players on IR, and 25 players total. Those are the four numbers listed on the rules page. So, since I usually have 3-5 players on IR at the end of the season, I just keep them through the offseason. (1) maybe situations change during the NFL offseason and suddenly that longshot looks like he'll be getting some real opportunities next year (2) maybe I can, at some point use one of those guys as just an extra penny to throw in on an offseason trade to grease the wheels, or trade a longshot prospect to move from the 2.08 pick to the 2.06. I like to try to get something, wherever I can. I have always had an "overloaded" roster through past offseasons, and some others have as well. I don't believe anyone has ever complained about that before.

Suddenly this year, with no prior discussion, a few of the team owners are claiming that we all need to drop down to 20 TOTAL players by the time the offseason begins. They made some nonsense arguments, such as "it's unfair for one team to have 25 players and another have 20 players during the offseason, that's an unfair advantage", when obviously any of them could have also picked up IR players. They simply didn't do it. But one guy did make a fair argument, that the IR'ed players will not be on the NFL IR during the offseason, so how can you keep them on IR in fantasy? I thought that was a fair point, but I responded that none of the 8 lineup/12 bench/5 IR roster categories have any meaning during the offseason ... There is no lineup or bench or IR. So perhaps the 25 total limit is the only limit that matters.

Anyway. Wondering (1) how does your league handle this? (2) How do you think leagues should handle this?

In the offseason our rosters expand and my leagues have you take everyone off IR. The expansion spots are more than the any IR players you could have so you are not forced to drop anyone. Don't see how it is unfair when everyone has the same opportunity.

My league has 5 IR spots (big roster) and I will be stashing them all off-season, carrying 5 extra players.
Our rules allow it, but if someone raised a stink about it, I cannot think of a good defense. I like it, but I don't think it's the Way It Should Be.
It's whatever you decide collectively. Everyone state their case, put it to a vote.

I am the commissioner of my dynasty league. I've required teams since we added an IR to get down to 24 players (our active roster limit). If I remember correctly, I made this known before we added an IR and no one ever had an issue.

However, it sounds like your league has always allowed teams to stash players on IR into the offseason.

I would consider this a rule change so it seems pretty simple to me.

1. What does the commissioner want?

2. If the commissioner wants to eliminate the ability to stash players on IR through the offseason, what do the league bylaws say about making rule changes? It is majority vote, 2/3rds vote, 3/4ths vote or something else to change something? If the commissioner is strongly for allowing IR offseason stashing and at least 1/3rd of the league as a whole is for it, then I think it's the commissioner's right to not to bring it to a vote. I see a commissioner's role in fantasy football being similar to role the majority leader of the U.S. Senate. As a commissioner though, you should pick your battles though and allow most things to go to a vote.

3. If the commissioner wants to bring this to a vote, he/she needs to decide before voting whether this would go into effect during the 2023 offseason or the 2024 offseason. I think it would make sense for the commissioner to get a feel how strongly in favor / opposed owners on each side are.

4. Have a league vote.

My league has 5 IR spots (big roster) and I will be stashing them all off-season, carrying 5 extra players.
Our rules allow it, but if someone raised a stink about it, I cannot think of a good defense. I like it, but I don't think it's the Way It Should Be.
It's whatever you decide collectively. Everyone state their case, put it to a vote.
This pretty much sums it up...

You yourself admitted that carrying the extra players was something you could exploit. If the league agrees to dropping to twenty players, I imagine you could do so without giving up any big asset. A possible side effect is that, with fewer players on their roster, more teams might be amenable to trading in the off-season.

We let you keep all your IR players until July 1st. All teams have to cut down to 17 players (active roster size) on or before that date.

This is not a personal statement on you OP...you are within your rights to do what you did until the rules are explicitly changed to fix it. But as the commish of a long-standing dynasty league when loophole exploitation stuff like this comes up it makes me want to throw in the towel. I'm not mad...just disappointed.

Do leaguemates whine during the season that you have 5 extra players? I assume not.

The 5 players need to be IR eligible during your last week of play. I don’t see why you’d be expected to drop them all (or other players) in March during the off-season, unless your league rules says so.

Our roster is 25 + 2 IR. If you have both IR slots full as the offseason begins, then you can hold up to 27 players. Big whoop. Pretty much everyone has both IR slots full as the season ends. If someone doesn't, they are free to cut a bench guy for an IR speculative pickup before the offseason locks rosters down.
We have to clear our IR spots and drop players a few days before the rookie draft happens so that, entering the rookie draft, your total roster + your # of rookie picks = 25 maximum players.

The thing that I don't get, is that some guys start cutting down their rosters right now. We have 2 owners who have already trimmed down to 20. They're all probably long shots but between free agency, the draft, and training camps/OTA's (our cutdowns don't have to be done until end of July) lots of things can happen to make those dropped players increase in value...and that's why I don't drop anyone until the deadline when I absolutely have to. Ya never know...

Our roster is 25 + 2 IR. If you have both IR slots full as the offseason begins, then you can hold up to 27 players. Big whoop. Pretty much everyone has both IR slots full as the season ends. If someone doesn't, they are free to cut a bench guy for an IR speculative pickup before the offseason locks rosters down.
We have to clear our IR spots and drop players a few days before the rookie draft happens so that, entering the rookie draft, your total roster + your # of rookie picks = 25 maximum players.

The thing that I don't get, is that some guys start cutting down their rosters right now. We have 2 owners who have already trimmed down to 20. They're all probably long shots but between free agency, the draft, and training camps/OTA's (our cutdowns don't have to be done until end of July) lots of things can happen to make those dropped players increase in value...and that's why I don't drop anyone until the deadline when I absolutely have to. Ya never know...
Yeah this sounds very similar to how our league has behaved as of yet, except 20+5 instead of 25+2. Have a feeling a new rule could be instituted at the rookie draft this year, since it's suddenly detestable to some people, lol.

100% agree about senseless early drops. Just "why?" It's like throwing away a $1 raffle ticket that could win $100, because "well, I'm sure I'm not going to win."

It seems unfair to me to allow one team to carry more people on his roster over the off-season than other teams. The league should either allow everyone 25 roster spots over the off-season, or cut everyone back to 20.

IR designation has no meaning during the off-season.

It seems unfair to me to allow one team to carry more people on his roster over the off-season than other teams. The league should either allow everyone 25 roster spots over the off-season, or cut everyone back to 20.

IR designation has no meaning during the off-season.
That would be a perfectly fair option as well as long as everyone knows the rules going into the season. But I don't see what's inherently unfair the way it is. There were plenty of IR players available that any team could have picked up.

So let's reward the lazier, whiny owners that don't work the rules to their advantage.
it's 20 +5 IR. Use it or not, Send those owners some cheese to go along with that whine.

So let's reward the lazier, whiny owners that don't work the rules to their advantage.
it's 20 +5 IR. Use it or not, Send those owners some cheese to go along with that whine.
Not to mention the $4 contribution required to IR a guy and replace him on the roster ($2 each in our league).

Anyway. Wondering (1) how does your league handle this? (2) How do you think leagues should handle this?
Dynasty, devy, best ball league...
"In-season" we have 25 man "active" rosters of which any can slot into the best ball scoring spots.
"In season" we also have 10 Taxi slots (rookies or devy) who can't score and 10 IR slots, technically you could be carrying up to 45 guys.
"Off-season" we change to a max 35 player roster with no distinction for taxi, IR, etc.
At that point, guys carrying a bunch of IR guys have to decide how bad they want to hold onto them vs healthy guys and devys.
We also allow teams to go over that 35 man limit during the draft but they need to get back down to 35 when the draft ends.

Users who are viewing this thread