What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans forever - Petitioning Tank to stay away from nightclubs and goal line blocking (5 Viewers)

Took Stroud last night as my back up QB to Hurts
Cut Stroud this morning while we have free roster moves, p/u Russ Wilson

I also picked up Dell as my last guy end of bench at WR6, cut Mooney, not sure why I picked him, I'll blame MoP Jr
I like Dell, see some similarities to DeSean Jackson, guess we'll see if Stroud can connect with him.

Some offensive line concerns.

Kenyon Green played with the 2nd string, got injured giving up a sack and went to the injury tent and didn't return. Michael Deiter started in his place.

RT Titus Howard is out for the start of the season. Heard a few days back that he'd had the cast off then was put back in it.

Backup tackle Charlie Heck will probably start the year on the injured list.

C Scott Quessenberry is out for the year. Juice Scruggs was injured in the preseason game, replaced by rookie Jarrett Patterson who was then injured, but returned.

The Cardinals tackle we traded for, Josh Jones, didn't play that I'm aware of, but far as I know he's at least healthy but might be pressed into duty.

While Mills did get pressured a lot, I noticed on a number of those, that he had outlet receivers who were wide open. Just he didn't make the decision fast enough to get the ball out to them.

Edit to add: No surprise, but Stroud officially named the starter.

Took Stroud last night as my back up QB to Hurts
Cut Stroud this morning while we have free roster moves, p/u Russ Wilson

I also picked up Dell as my last guy end of bench at WR6, cut Mooney, not sure why I picked him, I'll blame MoP Jr
I like Dell, see some similarities to DeSean Jackson, guess we'll see if Stroud can connect with him.

I think Dell is a guy worth taking a gamble on, yeah.

Somewhat surprised by Kirksey, was a team captain last year. Maybe just not a good fit with the coaching/scheme changes ?

Somewhat surprised by Kirksey, was a team captain last year. Maybe just not a good fit with the coaching/scheme changes ?

Heard some discussion on the radio a few days ago about it possibly happening. He basically was injured through all of camp. So combination of apparently feeling pretty decent about what they have there now, and wanting the $5mil in cap savings that they get by releasing him.

The Texans have acquired former Steelers interior offensive lineman Kendrick Green for a 2025 sixth-round pick. The terms were first reported by NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. Green, a third-round pick in 2021, started in 15 games at center for the Steelers as a rookie. Green struggled as a rookie. He allowed 18 quarterback pressures and three sacks, according to Pro Football Focus, and he spent the entire 2022 season as a gameday inactive after the Steelers signed James Daniels.

DT Roy Lopez waived injured. Could be brought back to practice squad if he clears waivers.

DE Chase Winovich waived.

The Desmond King release saves $3mil.

Rookie Juice Scruggs suffered a hamstring injury on Sunday and is expected to at least miss the Sept. 10 regular season opener against the Ravens, a person with knowledge of the injury said

Texans placed rookie center Juice Scruggs and punter Cam Johnston on the injured reserve. This cleared two roster spots that enabled the team to re-sign running back Mike Boone and linebacker Cory Littleton after initially cutting them at the deadline.

But adding Scruggs to the injured reserve complicates their compounding offensive line depth. Scruggs must miss four games, according to the NFL’s rules. After he’s missed four games, he can begin practicing within a 21-day window in which he doesn’t count toward the 53-man roster until he’s officially activated. But if the Texans don’t activate Scruggs before the window closes, he must remain on the injured reserve the entire season.
Scruggs suffered a minor hamstring injury in Sunday’s preseason finale against the Saints, a person with knowledge of the injury said. He is not expected to be sidelined for more than four games. But the Texans must still dig into their depth to field a starting center.

Tytus Howard practiced in pads with a club on his hand on Monday, but wasn't seen in practice on Wednesday.

The Houston Texans placed right tackle Tytus Howard on injured reserve with a broken right hand, the team announced.

Howard will miss the first four games for the Texans before he can return.

The Houston Texans placed right tackle Tytus Howard on injured reserve with a broken right hand, the team announced.

Howard will miss the first four games for the Texans before he can return.

I knew it was a bad idea to lock him into a long term contract before the season :kicksrock:

I'm beginning to think it may not be the best idea to start CJ early on with this makeshift OL. I don't want to relive another Carr situation where we scar a blue chip prospect. Let Mills get clobbered out there and bring on CJ when Scruggs/Howard return (Game 5?). Unfortunately, I'm already slowly giving up hope on this season :shrug:

I'm beginning to think it may not be the best idea to start CJ early on with this makeshift OL. I don't want to relive another Carr situation where we scar a blue chip prospect. Let Mills get clobbered out there and bring on CJ when Scruggs/Howard return (Game 5?). Unfortunately, I'm already slowly giving up hope on this season :shrug:

As Han said, “I got a bad feeling about this.” I agree the o’line is a mess again with multiple spots starting backups and backups to backups. Not a fan of most of our WR’s (they all seem like complimentary guys outside of Nico who I don’t believe in but hope I am wrong), still a lot of holes on defense. Hoping Pierce is able to get some traction or holes to keep pressure off CJ and stay healthy, and DeMeco can make chicken salad out of chicken **** with the defense.

By virtue of our schedule I think we maybe win 4 with a ceiling of 6 games at most. Colts & ARI look just as bad as us or even worse, and maybe steal 1 or 2 against the the NFC South and AFC North, probably split with one or both of the Titans or Jags. Really hate that we traded our own 1st away next year. Caserio has been a big disappointment IMO and they should consider getting rid of him unless there are some major positive surprises none of us are expecting.

Yeah there's really no way around it. Caserio kind of sucks and wish they'd have shown him the door when they brought in DeMeco. Next year we're going to be mad we traded our pick instead of Cleveland's.

Really hate that we traded our own 1st away next year. Caserio has been a big disappointment IMO and they should consider getting rid of him unless there are some major positive surprises none of us are expecting.

Yep. Losing that #1 is going to haunt us. Casserio is swinging for the fences to keep his job instead of whats best long term.

Texans quarterback C.J. Stroud was listed on the team's injury report with a shoulder injury and is considered "questionable" for Sunday's game against the Colts.

Stroud was limited it in Friday's practice, including during the portion open to the media.

Texans starting left tackle Laremy Tunsil did not dress out for Friday’s practice while nursing a knee injury. The development puts into question whether the team’s three-time Pro Bowler, the NFL’s highest-ever paid offensive tackle will be available for Sunday’s home opener against the Colts.

This team is caught in a poor draft loop. Caserio missing badly on a pick like Kenyon Green means we have to keep drafting OL and DL at the expense of ever getting weapons.

For how many years did we bemoan needing to get Andre or Hop help? When you miss so often, GM to GM, in drafting for the lines, we can never get to drafting weapons and actually turn things around.

Now seeing what trash our OL is, we will once again be unable to go after top tier weapon talent because we need to fix the lines. That should get Caserio his walking papers.

OK, Texans homers, tell me what to make of their WR corps. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen more than five seconds of Houston highlights in the past two weeks, so I'm going totally off the box score. Nico seems like the clear WR1, but I've been surprised that Woods and Dell have been putting up good numbers, too. Still, rookie QBs tend to only support one fantasy-relevant WR, so is it worth investing in anyone other than Nico?

OK, Texans homers, tell me what to make of their WR corps. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen more than five seconds of Houston highlights in the past two weeks, so I'm going totally off the box score. Nico seems like the clear WR1, but I've been surprised that Woods and Dell have been putting up good numbers, too. Still, rookie QBs tend to only support one fantasy-relevant WR, so is it worth investing in anyone other than Nico?
Dell and Woods can be serviceable at times like today. The offensive line is a MASH unit, so they can't really run the ball. Stroud hung in there today. I like the upside of Dell ok on an offense that looks like it'll be playing plenty of catch-up and garbage time.

Stingley going on IR so out at least 4 weeks.

Heard something on the radio about Denzel Perryman being injured but not sure the details there.

Stingley going on IR so out at least 4 weeks.

Heard something on the radio about Denzel Perryman being injured but not sure the details there.
Another brilliant Caserio decision.

I know folks who still defend this pick but I don't get it. Especially with who we could've drafted. Almost Sam Bowie/Jordan levels. Fireable offense when added to all the other injured players he loves selecting and overpaying for.

In the same realm, any news on Metchie yet? I think I read he's active and supposed to be healthy this year but I have major doubts about his ability to be the player Casserio hoped for. We moved up to draft him as well and granted cancer is different but he was also often injured in college.

In the same realm, any news on Metchie yet? I think I read he's active and supposed to be healthy this year but I have major doubts about his ability to be the player Casserio hoped for. We moved up to draft him as well and granted cancer is different but he was also often injured in college.
He was active against the Colts for his first NFL game. 14 snaps and had a 17 yard catch on 3rd and ten. Team mentioned he would probably take awhile to get back all the way, at the end of camp there was a comment he looked like he'd been out of football for 18 months.

Anyone else letting out a big sigh of relief after Sunday's game? I was definitely feeling pretty negative about the team's direction prior. Amazing what a good QB and HC can do for a franchise. Really fun seeing this team play with heart despite all the injuries. The AFC South almost seems winnable. So you're telling me theres a chance?

Yeah, I still don't expect to win the division, or even have our pick fall outside the top ten, not with all the injuries on the OL. Not unless it turns out those guys can keep playing like they did against Jacksonville anyway, which is possible but I'm not putting money on it.

But have to feel good about Stroud's progress, and also what we're seeing from Tank Dell. For those doing fantasy, I won't be surprised if we have some seesawing between him and Nico Collins as defenses try to take away whoever had the last good game. Nico was the better receiver the first two games and Jax worked to take him away more and Tank made them pay. I could see it swinging back against the Steelers.

Defense overall looks better too, and even with some key pieces missing. I'm generally a bit more slower to shift on topics like Casserio. I mean I figured he made a lot of big roster improvements this year, and a team with a little injury luck could flirt with a .500 record. But if you asked me before the season, how we'd do if we sustained injuries like the ones we have already and I'd be picking us for 3-4 wins. So I'm not really throwing chairs at the guy before this last weekend.

Still way to early but I've always believed you know quickly if your QB is your legit #1 or not. Yes there's an occasional outlier but overall it's rare for a QB that most think is good first year then becomes great and proves most wrong. The big tell he isn't is the excuses the fans will make for him. Common excuses are doesn't have a great offensive line, no talent around him, trying to learn a new complicated system, he's young, etc. You heard that about Zach Wilson defenders for years as a recent example. Getting rattled / panicked in the pocket seems like a big indicator of success and do they make the same mistakes, rarely does the eye test fail you. "Experts" will tell you the eye test doesn't work it's way more complicated than that. I disagree. Eye test easily passes with C.J. Stroud. You know he's their QB win or lose.

Extremely poised in the pocket, doesn't panic and way more low key and humble than I anticipated.
Want to see something rare you don't see in rookie QB? He turns negatives into positives. He mentioned the Baltimore loss as a positive and turning point for example.
He doesn't throw anyone under the bus after a loss or finger points which easily could be done on that team or makes excuses. You wouldn't know he's got 4 backup offensive lineman hearing him talk.
At times you forget it’s his first season playing. His development is off the charts so far.
He’s a leader. He's passes the eye test. His players seem willing to run through a wall for him.
Stroud is dealing with stuff that people are actively using as excuses for other quarterbacks. People in NY said Zach Wilson looks awful but got to remember the Jets offensive line is bad and the WR core aren’t that great, Bryce Young offensive line isn't good and they had to trade away DJ Moore. Stroud has all those excuses but outperforming those guys and a lot of NFL veteran QBs. It’s early only 3 games but there’s a lot of development here you don’t see out of young guys. You can only know this by watching him play not by any stats that you read in the box score.

Things as a Texans fan (we are scarred) I worry about just a little:
Too calm in the pocket and holds on to the ball way too long at times could end up getting him hurt. It's great he doesn't get scared when the pocket collapses around him but the flip side is one big hit could knock him out of game(s). Hopefully he will learn to throw away the ball a tad quicker. Holding onto ball too long can happen with rookie QBs so I expect him to correct this but until then don't get injured.
This win was vs. the Jaguars. The Texans are coming up close to the dominance level vs another team as the Pats are to the Jets.
Texans are 10-1 last 11 games vs Jags.
The 4 TD to 0 INT is a “who cares” stat. Stroud should have thrown an INT vs Jags for example. Peyton Manning threw a ton of INT first season. INT more concerning once a QB is more established.
What’s important is:
Does Stroud improve game to game? So far yes.
Does he keep making the same mistakes? So far no.
Both great signs and more telling about a QB success IMO.

As a fan more interested in his progression than W and L. If he has a great game and they lose I'll take that over a lucky win where he has regressed or looked bad.

Great post @WaltonGoggins. I think one good thing is that while not having any INTs involves some luck, he seems to have a lower volume of passes that should or could be picked than a lot of QBs, and certainly out of a rookie in his first 3 games. If he shows the same ability to not make the same mistakes repetitively he has in other aspects, that bodes well as some of even those were preventable.

I think he's running the offense better, getting the team in and out of the huddle better, showing more command of the team. Also agree wholeheartedly with what you said about having won the team over. Sometimes you hear guys having their QBs back but it seems like saying what they should. Get more the feelings that his teammates really are coming to believe in him and it's not just supporting a teammate.

I feel like the last two games especially, I haven't felt like the Texans had a weak receiving corps even. And I attribute a fair amount of that to how CJ is playing. I will hesitate at this point in his career to say he's making the people around him better, but I'd say he's helping them play nearer to their potential than what we've seen the last couple of years at the very least.

Great post @WaltonGoggins. I think one good thing is that while not having any INTs involves some luck, he seems to have a lower volume of passes that should or could be picked than a lot of QBs, and certainly out of a rookie in his first 3 games. If he shows the same ability to not make the same mistakes repetitively he has in other aspects, that bodes well as some of even those were preventable.

I think he's running the offense better, getting the team in and out of the huddle better, showing more command of the team. Also agree wholeheartedly with what you said about having won the team over. Sometimes you hear guys having their QBs back but it seems like saying what they should. Get more the feelings that his teammates really are coming to believe in him and it's not just supporting a teammate.

I feel like the last two games especially, I haven't felt like the Texans had a weak receiving corps even. And I attribute a fair amount of that to how CJ is playing. I will hesitate at this point in his career to say he's making the people around him better, but I'd say he's helping them play nearer to their potential than what we've seen the last couple of years at the very least.
Thanks GregR! Yes lower volume but also a bit lucky since there was a very easy catchable INT vs Jags can't believe the defender dropped it. I am totally fine with INT for a rookie QB saw it with Peyton Manning for example and never thought because of his INT he won't be good. I love Stroud's progression he doesn't seem to make the same mistakes over and over as you see many QBs who don't make it do. Stroud has breathed life into this WR core even Jordan a forgotten TE. When you have a guy who people forgot about completely like Jordan come back to life I think that shouldn't be discounted. It shows Stroud doesn't have one or two options he is only willing to go to. A defensive coach has to be worried about game planning against Stroud. When you can do that you have something. That's why I never subscribed to the "he's got no WR talent!" excuse. Since Week 1 Stroud has looked better. I can't remember the last time in recent years seeing a QB make plays and reacts and progresses as a rookie QB like Stroud. Does this mean Texans will keep winning? No. Does this mean Stroud won't have a bad game? No. That's not realistic even for the best QBs of all time. All that said the win while impressive was vs the Jags about the only team regardless how bad the Texans has been beat up on them.

So discussing the receivers also dredges up some Dalton Schultz thoughts. I don't play fantasy anymore though this is probably more fantasy relevant than anything.

I think a lot of us assumed he'd be the go to guy for CJ Stroud, as a rookie QB's safety valve. And while he hasn't been overlooked (14 targets), the 3 main receivers are definitely getting more of the action (Woods 25, Nico 23, Dell 21).

I haven't paid attention to how Schultz is being covered, whether teams were focused on taking him away. Though I think Jacksonville did focus on Nico, not sure how much might have focused on Schultz or not.

If teams have been that might change and Schultz might see a jump in targets. Though if I had to bet I think I might go with he's probably going to continue to see a similar role to what he has so far. I might not be surprised by an uptick in yards but if Stroud is able to work his WRs as he has, I don't know that we'll see the TE share climb too much from where it is.

So discussing the receivers also dredges up some Dalton Schultz thoughts. I don't play fantasy anymore though this is probably more fantasy relevant than anything.

I think a lot of us assumed he'd be the go to guy for CJ Stroud, as a rookie QB's safety valve. And while he hasn't been overlooked (14 targets), the 3 main receivers are definitely getting more of the action (Woods 25, Nico 23, Dell 21).

I haven't paid attention to how Schultz is being covered, whether teams were focused on taking him away. Though I think Jacksonville did focus on Nico, not sure how much might have focused on Schultz or not.

If teams have been that might change and he might see a jump in targets. Though if I had to bet I think I might go with he's probably going to continue to see a similar role to what he has so far. I might not be surprised by an uptick in yards but if Stroud is able to work his WRs as he has, I don't know that we'll see the TE share climb too much from where it is.
I don't either except draft for my girlfriend's work fantasy league.
Yes the Schultz part has been one of the bigger surprising disappointments. Ditto with their running game. I thought Schultz would feast and be used as a crutch check down situation that you see with a lot of rookie QB. That hasn't been the case but when thrown to Schultz has dropped some catchable balls. It's really baffling seemed like he had no problem catching Dak's passes. These aren't difficult balls to catch either and wasn't due to tight coverage either. Jordan had no issue with a more difficult TD catch than some of the drops Schultz has had.

One other thought while it's in my head... I think CJ needs to learn when to put a little more zip on his dump offs to running backs and similar short throws. Seems like sometimes he's just floating it out there too gently. Best case it is giving the defense more time to close. Worst cast could lead to a pick.

The Ringer’s Ben Solak breaks down how the Houston Texans may have found their franchise quarterback in rookie C.J. Stroud. He explains why Stroud’s film from Ohio State is translating to the Texans offense and how Stroud is elevating Houston wide receivers Nico Collins, Tank Dell, and Robert Woods.
* Shows the terrible Schultz TD drop

Last edited:
Only thing I pump the breaks on is the fact it was the Jags as we have owned them for years. I think Pittsburgh will be a good test, they aren’t a great team but have a lot more coaching experience on their side. The o’line is still a mess but we are getting closer to healthy for a few guys hopefully.

Lost in the Stroud talk is that Will Anderson is looking great too. He became the first rookie to block a field goal for the Texans since J.J. Watt. That put them in good field position to go up 14-0 against the Jags.

Correct it was vs the Jags and one of the things listed to be cautious since the Texans are 10-1 last 11 games vs Jags. That said you can look at a few clips where it shows vs Ravens and Indy he threw similar passes it wasn't as if he threw one way then another Jags.
Will has looked great unfortunately the success of a team goes as far as their QB not defense, see the Jets as prime example!

The hits keep on coming. Josh Jones, who filled in at left tackle, has a hand injury and isn't expected to play if I remember the radio right. Tunsil is also expected to still be out. Texans tried out five linemen and signed a tackle to the practice squad.

The Ringer’s Ben Solak breaks down how the Houston Texans may have found their franchise quarterback in rookie C.J. Stroud. He explains why Stroud’s film from Ohio State is translating to the Texans offense and how Stroud is elevating Houston wide receivers Nico Collins, Tank Dell, and Robert Woods.

My favorite QB breakdown...

Thanks, loved those both. The first guy, if I was in charge of NFL Network I think I'd hire him in a heartbeat. A lot of positive energy.

My favorite QB breakdown...

Thanks, loved those both. The first guy, if I was in charge of NFL Network I think I'd hire him in a heartbeat. A lot of positive energy.
Very welcome GregR! Ben is solid. What I like about The QB School is that he goes over good and bad plays he isn't like most who only talk about the positives. He does breakdowns on other QB. Stroud in preseason or maybe Week 1/2 you can see more this is what he needs to work on but very encouraging remarks. I haven't watched his other QB clips but meaning to.

I only copied/pasted a few things from the article there's a lot more good stuff to gleam from it highly suggest reading it when you've got a few minutes. Most notable which I didn't know or read anywhere else was Stroud is #1 Completion Percentage Vs. Man Coverage. That's really mind blowing and a fairly serious stat in my opinion which for some reason I don't see written about. QBR? Yes. What QB is better when it comes to throwing in coverage? No. Strange. You'd assume a lot of your completions as a rookie during the first month of the season would be dump offs, screens and blown coverages. Going to see if I can find any historical numbers on completion vs man coverage to put this in comparison because initially it doesn't seem possible or has been done before (sure it has but are we sure????)

#1Completion%vsManCoverage

Prior to the draft, much was written about Stroud’s low S2 cognition test scores, suggesting he couldn’t process amid the chaos of the pocket and play the NFL game at a high level. The evidence is in, and Stroud has performed masterfully in the pocket, showing functional intelligence (the ability to slow the game down), playing with a quiet mind, throwing the ball accurately to all areas of the field and finishing progressions.

Everything we saw him do at Ohio State has more than translated to the NFL this season. Most importantly, he is taking care of the football with zero interceptions and one lost fumble.

In college, Stroud’s understanding of route structure and ability to work from one side of the field to the other before making split-second decisions appeared to be the result of excellent chemistry with his superbly talented Ohio State receiving corps. He’s already developing that chemistry early in his career in Houston, particularly with young receivers Nico Collins and Tank Dell.

Stroud’s chemistry with his receivers is among the biggest reasons for his immediate success in captaining the Texans’ offense. Still, there are many other facets to his game that have clearly translated.

Stroud’s footwork has been exceptionally consistent on multiple types of drops, and his feet almost always match the depths of the route his receiver is running. While we are only three weeks in, you have to be impressed by his comfort and apparent confidence in the passing game.

Within the pocket, when his offensive line has been firm and allowed him to step up to throw, Stroud has shown the instinctive ability to slide away from pressure while standing strong in the pocket. This allows him to deliver with the courage to take hits after completing his throwing motion.

His elite arm talent to throw to all parts of the field with velocity or touch and his impressive high-end accuracy to every part of the field cannot be overstated. What may be the most impressive part of his game thus far (besides having not thrown an interception) has been his accuracy against man coverage.
He leads the league with a 77.8 percent completion percentage
(14 of 18) while tossing 222 yards and two touchdowns, per TruMedia. The league average completion percentage against man coverage is 58.5 percent.

For all the impressive stats Stroud has put up across the first three weeks of the season, his numbers against man coverage might be the most spectacular. This is where a quarterback must excel, and this is a very big deal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread