What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans Off-Season Thread (1 Viewer)

I think the move makes sense. For a team in need of cap room, DeMeco was a more obvious person to part with than Winston was in my opinion. Sharpton looked good in his place until he was injured, and I think DeMeco is probably better suited for a 4-3 anyway, so might have more value to another team which means good trade opportunity. And he had cap figures of $7.4m, $8.1m, $8.3m, and $6.8m for the next 4 years. With the Texans needing to sign Duane Brown to franchise left tackle money next year, plus re-sign Schaub, that cap room is probably going to come in handy.

I agree about they still need to cut Jacoby and hopefully sign someone at a reasonable price to pair with a WR taken in the first couple rounds.

I'm starting to think they are making all these tough moves and angering the fan base only to cut Jacoby once it's all said and done to try to placate people. "Look we cut Jacoby too, just like you all wanted!"

Although I think it makes more football sense to keep him for now, draft his replacement and then head into training camp to see how well the rookie does first. If the rookie performs well then cut Jacoby during camp.

Last edited by a moderator:
'cstu said:
What do Texans fans think about making a run at Mike Wallace?
I imagine most of us would love to have him as a player but don't see any way the Texans would make it work with the salary cap. Texans are worse off than the Steelers in cap room in that the Steelers have a lot of aging players they can cut to save money. Texans are one of the youngest teams in the league. Or, were before signing Delhomme and Garcia last year, heh.
How's the cap looking now?
I think we save about $2M this year with DeMeco because you are accelerating about $4M in prorated signing bonus. Plus he restructured last year to get us under the cap then and haven't been able to find those numbers, either way most of the savings is taken up with a dead money hit this year. However, that frees up at least 8.1M, 8.3M, & 6.8M for the next 3 years.

I think they have a cap crisis looming next year that they are addressing now. They restructured people both last year to sign Joseph, and this year to sign Foster and Myers. Next year will be even more expensive as Duane Brown and Matt Schaub will probably both get contracts larger than either Myers or Foster. And those restructures they did pushed more money into next year and beyond. 2014 shouldn't be a problem as the cap should skyrocket due to the new TV deal money kicking in. But I could see next year having problems finding money for the players we'd need to re-sign.

Plus remember it takes a couple million to sign your rookie picks.

I think they have a cap crisis looming next year that they are addressing now. They restructured people both last year to sign Joseph, and this year to sign Foster and Myers. Next year will be even more expensive as Duane Brown and Matt Schaub will probably both get contracts larger than either Myers or Foster. And those restructures they did pushed more money into next year and beyond. 2014 shouldn't be a problem as the cap should skyrocket due to the new TV deal money kicking in. But I could see next year having problems finding money for the players we'd need to re-sign.Plus remember it takes a couple million to sign your rookie picks.
Agreed. The Demeco Ryans deal has nothing to do with cap room for this year, it is to free up cap room over the next 3 years.On the Surface, it appears that trading Demeco would save the team his $7.4 million cap hit ($5.9 million salary plus $1.5 million pro-rated signing bonus) at the cost of the remaining signing bonus of $4.5 million. That would be a net savings of $2.9 million against the cap. However, they restructured his contract last August to free up cap space in 2011. Since his base was going to be $5.8 million in 2011, we can assume most of that was paid out in a bonus so that amount could be prorated over the remaining 5 years of his contract (Buckna is right, there is nothing on the internet to confirm what the restructure was). That means that probably at least another $4 million in last years bonus would hit the cap when they traded him. if you add the $4.5 remaining signing bonus with the $4.0 remaining 2011 bonus, you get a cap hit in 2012 of $8.5 million vs. $7.4 million it would have been if we had kept Demeco. So trading Demeco is probably adding at least $1.1 million to the 2012 salary cap.I think Rick Smith is learning very quickly that managing the cap is a lot harder with a winning team. Hopefully, he is up to the task.

Do you guys think Kubiak intends to keep Jacoby Jones? I don't quite understand why he hasn't been cut yet, especially with

the Texans so tight around the cap. Here is a guy who is entering his 6th season, has never been a full-time starter, and averaged

only 2 catches for 33 yards per game last year when Andre Johnson was out for half the season. At this point there really is no

potential upside to his game, so I wish they would cut him and give someone else a chance to develop. At this point, other teams know

how to defend Jacoby, so he is not only an average commodity, he is a predictable commodity. Someone new, other teams would at least

have to learn how the Texans were going to use them. I am mystified as to what Kubiak sees in him.

Do you guys think Kubiak intends to keep Jacoby Jones? I don't quite understand why he hasn't been cut yet, especially with the Texans so tight around the cap. Here is a guy who is entering his 6th season, has never been a full-time starter, and averagedonly 2 catches for 33 yards per game last year when Andre Johnson was out for half the season. At this point there really is nopotential upside to his game, so I wish they would cut him and give someone else a chance to develop. At this point, other teams knowhow to defend Jacoby, so he is not only an average commodity, he is a predictable commodity. Someone new, other teams would at leasthave to learn how the Texans were going to use them. I am mystified as to what Kubiak sees in him.
I believe the issue with Jacoby is the lack of even a "predictable" replacement. Literally, there is not a guy who has caught a pass for the Texans on the roster. With all the other cuts, there is at least a guy they "know" something about (sorry Jean and Meahl). This goes to roster and cap management. If the Texans had not been so bad at defense until (2011) and needed to over/mis use picks, they could/should/would have drafted a couple WR to develop so that they did not need to continue to overpay both Jacoby and Walter and may have been able to cut one or both of them instead of a Winston or Ryans move.

I'd agree with that, coolnerd.

A week ago I would not have been surprised for Jacoby to still be on the team, if only because I think Kubiak and Bob McNair both are people who show loyalty to a fault. However, the release of Winston and the trading of Ryans has me wondering if that will no longer be enough to keep him.

The lack of a replacement is the biggest issue. If I were GM, I would want to cut Jacoby... but I wouldn't want to cut him until after I'd at the very least signed a free agent or drafted a rookie that I was ok with being my WR3 in 2012. Since such a player has to learn the offense and all, that means he has to be at least a little better than Jacoby just to pull even with him in the short term.

I think it's still very possible the Texans sign a free agent and cut Jones. But don't be surprised if we have to wait to happen until free agency dries up a little more and players who haven't found a home yet start dropping their asking price.

From a distance, I see a lot of parallels to the Houston offseason moves to the Raiders offseason moves. We didn't want to lose Wimbley but it was inevitable. We lost Routt in a similar way, and will almost surely lose Bush. Cap management is a #####, I can commiserate with you Texan fans.

Not saying you are rebuilding or even not still favorites to win your division, but you lost the starting right side of your OL, Ryans, and Mario. And you were lucky to hang on to your starting Center. That's a lot of impact players lost from a team that could have legitimately gone to the Super Bowl had Schaub not went down. bummer.

According to the Chronicle, Joel Dreessen has narrowed it to down to the offers he has from the Broncos and Texans. He says he'll decide by Friday morning which teams he's going to sign with, so we should hear something soon.

Would love to see Joel stay. I think he led the team in TD catches if I'm not mistaken. But imagine if he became the starter with Manning throwing to him in Denver? I think he could do great things.

Will Garrett Graham ever see the field? Seems at this point that was a wasted pick. 4th rounder I think too. Oh well. Maybe he'll see some time this season.

Well there ya go

SR610: Texans free agent TE Joel Dreessen has signed with the Denver Broncos. Dreessen scored 10 TDs over the last two seasons. http://cbsloc.al/GJDvZ5

Anybody else think Dreessen has any true fantasy football value now being paired with Peyton?

Well there ya go

SR610: Texans free agent TE Joel Dreessen has signed with the Denver Broncos. Dreessen scored 10 TDs over the last two seasons. http://cbsloc.al/GJDvZ5

Anybody else think Dreessen has any true fantasy football value now being paired with Peyton?
I think he definitely can, yes.Sorry to see him go. I think what we've seen is the Texans were a little free with the money 3-4 years ago when they just didn't have a lot of top players that needed to be paid. There have been quite a few contracts where I believe the consensus was they overpaid a bit.

And now that they do have a roster chock full of worthwhile players, that money that they tied up a few years ago is making it tough to keep people. Much better if you can extend these players before their contract runs out so they don't have a chance to talk to other teams.

Couldn't agree with you more. It seems like we were paying and extending some guys just because we had the money.

Now I assume we'll definitely see some Garrett Graham action. But I figure Kubiak will look to bring in a TE who's a quality blocker, since Graham seems to be mainly a receiving threat. Wouldn't shock me if we draft a new tight end in April, which will simply bring joy and jubilation to the Houston sports radio listeners! End sarcasm.

So from a compensatory picks standpoint, Texans have lost Mario, Brisiel, Dreessen, Vickers and Jason Allen so far to free agency. And have signed one UFA in Chris Myers.

Normally the players you sign yourself detract from what you get in compensatory picks. But I don't know if that applies to your own UFAs that you re-sign, like Myers.

Edit to add: Ok, I'm clearly not thinking straight today. Re-signing Myers won't hurt the Texans in this regard. If signing him did count against as a player signed from another team, then he'd also have to be considered as a player lost to another team and he'd cancel himself out.

*sigh*

A little bummed about losing Dreessen. I can't blame him though for wanting to go be a team's TE1, with Peyton throwing to him, rather than continue as the second string TE. Or at best the 1B to Owen Daniel's 1A.

Here is a post by AdamJT13, a KFFL user who for the last 10 years has been trying to figure out the NFL compensatory picks formula, and has a pretty good track record over that time in predicting what they will be each year.

Some excerpts:

As the NFL explains, compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lose more or better compensatory free agents than they acquire. The number of picks a team can receive equals the net loss of compensatory free agents, up to a maximum of four. Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula.

Although the formula has never been revealed, by studying the compensatory picks that have been awarded since they began in 1994, I’ve determined that the primary factor in the value of the picks awarded is the average annual value of the contract the player signed with his new team, with an adjustment for playing time and a smaller adjustment for postseason honors. It should be noted that the contract value used in the equation does not include some parts of the contract, and that the contract information reported in the media is often incorrect.

Each qualifying player has a value based on his contract, playing time and postseason honors, and that value corresponds to a round in the draft. In the compensatory equation, each qualifying player that a team signs cancels out a qualifying player that the team lost whose value is the highest in the same round. If there are no lost players remaining in that round, the signed player cancels out the lost player whose value is the next-highest. A signed player will cancel out a lost player whose value falls in a higher round only if there are no remaining lost players. After all of a team's qualifying signed players have canceled out a lost player, the team can receive a comp pick for each qualifying player who remains. For example, consider a team that loses one qualifying player whose value falls in the third round and another qualifying player whose value falls in the sixth round but signs a qualifying player whose value falls in the third round. That team would receive a sixth-round comp pick because the signed player would cancel out the loss of the higher-valued player. If the signed player’s value were equal to a fourth-round pick or lower, however, the team would receive a third-round comp pick, because the signed player would cancel out the loss of the lower-valued player.

It is possible for a team to get a compensatory pick even if it doesn’t suffer a net loss of qualifying free agents. That type of comp pick comes at the end of the seventh round, after the normal comp picks and before the non-compensatory picks that are added if fewer than 32 comp picks are awarded. There have been 14 of these “net value” type of comp picks awarded, and in each case, the combined value of the free agents lost was significantly higher than the combined value of the free agents added. In all 14 cases, those teams lost the same number of qualifying free agents as they signed. No team has been awarded a comp pick after signing more qualifying free agents than it lost, no matter how significant the difference in combined value.

Last year [2009], regardless of playing time or postseason honors, the third-round comp players had signed for at least $6.5 million per season, the fourth-round comp players had signed for $4.8 million to $6 million, all but one of the fifth-round comp players had signed for $4 million to $5 million, the sixth-round comp players had signed for $2.7 million to $3.9 million, and the seventh-round comp players had signed for less than $2.65 million per season. Note that there are huge gaps between some rounds, and that there is an overlap between the fourth and fifth rounds because of the adjustments for playing time. You’ll find the contract values for each round of this year’s projected picks in the list a few paragraphs below this one.
He says elsewhere that the amounts seem to grow by the same percent as the salary cap. So the 2009 cap was

$123m, this year it's $120m so the average contract values for this year are likely slightly lower than what is bolded above. That $6.5m might turn out to be $6.3m for a 3rd round compensatory pick for example.

He also mentions not all contract terms count, so this may not be exact. But so far:

Mario, $16m average (6 years, $96m)

Allen $4.1m (2 years, $8.2m)

Brisiel $4m average (5 years, $20m)

Vickers $1.5m average (2 years, $3m)

Haven't heard for Dreessen yet. So not including him, right now the Texans might be looking at extra picks in 2013 at the end of the 3rd for Mario, 2 picks at the end of the 5th for Allen and Brisiel, and a 7th for Vickers.

Dreessen will probably make more than Vickers, and Leinart probably as well, though the limit is 4 picks. Plus I'm sure somewhere along the way Houston will sign someone for depth once the prices come down further. Those could cut into a pick, though I'll be surprised (pleasantly?) if they sign anyone to a high enough price to cut out those 5th round picks for Allen and Brisiel.

Greg couple of things Vickers will not count because he was cut, not contract expire. Same with leinert.

I have been looking at the Texans cap situation and it looks like they have $5 to $6 million of cap spaceas their contracts stand right now. That is without the following key Free Agents signed:Mario WilliamsArian FosterMike BrisielChris MyersJoel DressenNeil RackersSo how do the Texans Free up cap space to sign all those players? Either cut some players or restructure contracts.Possible Cuts:Jacoby JonesKevin WalterMatt LeinartDemeco RyansPossible Restructuring:Andre JohnsonMatt SchaubOwen DanielsI predict the Texans will do the following:-Give a contract extension to Matt Schaub and restructure his contract so that his cap number is much smaller this year-Restructure Owen Daniels deal to give him a bonus this year and reduce his cap number.-Possibly do the same with Andre Johnson, although they have redone him once and he still has the potential to have a lot of dead money at the end of his deal. If they restructure again, he will have even more potential dead cap money.-Cut Jones, Leinart for sure, possibly Ryans. I don't think they cut Walter because that would leave them too thin at WR.-Resign all of the Free Agents mentioned above, with the possible exception of Rackers if there is another free agent kicker they like better. Mario Williams contract would be structured so that the biggest cap hits would come in 2014 and beyond when the salary cap number will increase dramatically due to the TV deal.-When they resign Arian Foster he will either be franchised or they will sign him to a long term deal. I don't think they will risk losing him via a restricted FA tender.-Draft a WR in the first or second round depending on players available.-I don't see them signing any significant new free agents because they can't afford it.A lot of the restructuring will put a big cap hit in 2014 when the new TV deal goes in place and the Cap increases. This basically gives the Texans a three year window to get something done with the Core group of players they have in place which include Schaub, Foster, Williams, Johnson, Watts, Reed, Joseph, Manning. They probably re-sign Cushing next year, but that may mean they cut Antonio Smith before his contract ends.This is what I think they will do, not necessarily what I think they should do. I still vascilate on whether they should sign Mario to a big contract, especially with his injury history. However, based on the loyalty factor that both McNair and Kubiak operate by, I think they will resign Mario.Thoughts?
Okay, I missed on this prediction, as the Texans have only signed 2 out of their 6 important free agents. The biggest thing I think I missed on is not how up-against-the-cap the Texans were, but how they had done restructuring in 2011 to get them under the cap last year. I think they are correcting for that this year by not restructuring more deals. Long-term this is smart as it does not hamstring you in future seasons. Short-term they had to let some players go that would have helped this season. Keep in mind that cap figures for Antonio Smith and Andre Johnson based on their original contracts are understated because they restructured Antonio's contract last year and Andre's contract last year AND this year.I think the front office will sign some cheaper free agents to provide depth, and hopefully the draft will give the Texans 2 or 3 players that can make contributions this year. They still should be favorites to win their division. I just hope from a morale standpoint there is not a dark cloud hanging over the team because some of their long-term contributors have left.

They definitely need to hit a homerun in the draft again this year. I still think that WR is the biggest need. And in saying that, I think it's a reflection that when deciding who to let go, the Texans were cognizant of who they already have on the team who can possibly step into the starting lineup.

Not that I expect we'll see success from every player who does so. But at least there is a name you can plug into that spot on the depth chart and think they have at least a fair chance of working out as a starter. At most of those positions they lost someone, the biggest issue is now a lack of depth. But at WR2, they really don't have enough right now. It's fine when AJ is out there, he is so strong he makes up for the lack, but I think they need to address the position with a solid WR2 and let Walter focus on playing in the slot.

On the prior management of the cap issue, I think the biggest issue is paying a decent amount for guys that seemed worth it at the time who have failed to deliver for different reasons. DeMeco "deserved" the contract he got at the time as the stud 4-3 ILB, but then the Achillies injury and switch to the Phillips 3-4 marginalized him in our scheme. I thought the Walter extension was slightly below market rate at the time (it was less than Burleson got from the Lions IIRC) but Walter's production has dropped off considerably since then. I haven't been able to find contract details for Winston's new one with KC, but he didn't exactly sign a mega-deal at 22M over 4 years.

I thought they overspent for Antonio Smith, who had questionable skills and just happened to have had a solid year on a Superbowl squad. They way overpaid for "potential" on that one liking the idea of moving him inside to DT on passing downs. Sure he perked up the 1st five games of this year, but then disappered after Mario went down. His cap number has been huge every season and unfortunately we don't have any depth behind him with too much dead money to part ways right now. His base salary in the last year of his contract is $6M next year, if they can hit on some depth behind him in the draft or FA, I think he will be cut.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/05/our-discoveries-after-tracking-pre-draft-visits-and-workouts/

1. In 2011, twelve of the top-14 picks either worked out for or visited their team before the draft. The only players who did not work out for or visit the team they were picked by were Texans defensive end J.J. Watt and Jaguars quarterback Blaine Gabbert. Jags G.M. Gene Smith did personally attend Gabbert’s Insight Bowl game against Iowa, however, and the Texans don’t use pre-draft visits on first-round prospects. Which brings us to our next discovery.

2. Some teams don’t use any pre-draft visits on elite prospects. The Texans, Bears, Jaguars, and Packers concern themselves almost strictly with late-round, undrafted types when scheduling visits. For example, the player drafted earliest with whom we know Green Bay formally visited was Markell Carter, the 194th overall pick. The Raiders and Colts, for the most part, also fall into this category.

And either the Houston media is not at all concerned with reporting pre-draft visits and workouts, or the Texans just don’t have many of them. (Our guess is the former.) We counted a league-low six Texans pre-draft visits, and each team is allowed up to 30.

Texans signed punter Donnie Jones to a 1 year deal worth $890k with a $65k bonus.

Jones was 31st in the league last year in net punting average while playing with the Rams. He'd be filling in for Brett Hartman, who is recovering from his injury in the playoff game, and who has 3 games left to serve on a suspension after being given credit for 1 game in the Ravens playoff game he missed.

Texans signed punter Donnie Jones to a 1 year deal worth $890k with a $65k bonus.Jones was 31st in the league last year in net punting average while playing with the Rams. He'd be filling in for Brett Hartman, who is recovering from his injury in the playoff game, and who has 3 games left to serve on a suspension after being given credit for 1 game in the Ravens playoff game he missed.
If read this contract and the rules correctly, Jones won't be a qualifier, so the compensatory count is still 4-0.

Scurfield saying from special teams coach Marciano comments that the Texans want to re-sign Neil Rackers.

He also mentioned Donnie Jones is a good holder for placekicks.

Kevin Walter agreed to cut his 2012 base salary from $3.5 million to $2 million on March 16.

The move cleared $1.5 million in salary cap space. The Texans may have threatened to release Walter before the "restructuring." Walter didn't get a signing bonus to compensate for his salary loss, however; he's just going to be paid less. Likewise, look for Walter's role to decrease on offense this year.

rotoworld.

Edit: He only had around 40 catches last year. For a so-called starter he can't be used too much less.

Texans rookie visits per PFT:

Houston TexansOld Dominion defensive tackle Ronnie Cameron (?/?).Grambling receiver Mario Louis (4/?).Arkansas State safety Kelcie McCray (?/?).Illinois safety Tavon Wilson (?/?).

Wade Phillips is on twitter now.

Wade Phillips ‏ @sonofbumpress came to Bum when Earl C could not make the mile run test What R U going to do?"if it's third and a mile we won't give it to him "

Draft needs: Houston Texans

By Pete Prisco | CBSSports.com Senior NFL Columnist

The New England Patriots represented the AFC in the Super Bowl.

The Houston Texans, when healthy, might have been the AFC's best team in 2011. But the Texans suffered a lot of big injuries, the most damaging being the Lisfranc injury quarterback Matt Schaub suffered to end his season in the 10th game.

Rookie T.J. Yates played well in spots in his place, but he isn't in the same class as Schaub.

The Texans return a big part of the roster that won the AFC South title, but the big question moving forward is Schaub's health.

"He's doing well," Texans coach Gary Kukiak said this week about Schaub. "He's doing great. He's playing golf, so he's fine. I think once we get to OTAs, he'll do everything. I'll probably keep him out of a team [drills] environment, just to be safe, for those 10 days. He's fine. He'll be ready to go."

If he is, the Texans are the favorites again in the AFC South.

QB: Schaub has developed into a solid NFL passer. He isn't a top-five quarterback, but you could make a case he's top 10. Schaub is good at throwing on the move, which makes him perfect for the team's style of offense. In 10 games, he threw 15 touchdown passes and six interceptions. Yates is now the primary backup. He did some good things when he took over last season, completing 61.2 percent of his passes. He had a rough go in the team's playoff loss to the Ravens, but is more than capable of running the show for a three-game spurt.

RB: The Texans are one of the most run-heavy teams in the NFL, led by Arian Foster. He had a second consecutive big season and is the perfect cutback runner for Houston's zone-blocking scheme. He ran for 1,224 yards but missed three starts because of injury. Backup Ben Tate ran for 942 yards and averaged 5.4 per carry to 4.4 for Foster. The Texans have a great 1-2 punch. The fullback will be James Casey, a converted tight end. He is a good football player, just not the typical bruising blocker, although he's good enough.

WR: In Andre Johnson, the Texans have the best receiver in the league when he's healthy. But he was limited to seven starts last season because of injuries. The Houston offense doesn't have a real downfield threat when he's not on the field. The other starter is Kevin Walter, a steady player who isn't a great speed option. He caught 39 passes last season. Jacoby Jones is the third receiver. He had 31 catches. Look for the Texans to try and add a receiver in the draft, maybe even early. Johnson needs help.

TE: Owen Daniels came back from a major knee injury he suffered in 2010 to lead the team in catches with 54. He had just three touchdown catches, and was clearly hurt by the loss of Schaub. He did start 16 games, which was a good sign. Backup tight end Joel Dreessen signed with the Denver Broncos, which leaves a void. Garrett Graham, who had one catch last season, is now listed as the backup. Casey can also play tight end.

OL: There will be change on the line with the Texans opting to release right tackle Eric Winston for cap reasons. That leaves a big hole. Rashad Butler, who spent last season on injured reserve, is listed as the starter now, although the Texans might address that in the draft. Left tackle Duane Brown is coming off his best season and established himself as one of the best left tackles in the game. The Texans did the smart thing and re-signed center Chris Myers, who fits perfectly in their system. He played to a Pro Bowl level last season. The Texans did lose right guard Mike Briesel to the Raiders, so Antoine Caldwell, who has started at times, will move into that spot. The left guard is Wade Smith, who didn't play as well in 2011 as he did the year before. There isn't a lot of experience behind the five starters, so that could be an issue.

DL: The move to the 3-4 front last season proved to be a good thing for the line. The addition of rookie first-round pick J.J. Watt was the key. By the end of the season, he was a force as a down end. Antonio Smith played well at the other end spot. He had 6½ sacks to lead the linemen. Nose tackle Shaun Cody is getting up in years, but he is a solid player. Earl Mitchell is a more powerful backup. The top backup at end is Tim Jamison.

LB: The Texans lost outside linebacker Mario Williams to the Bills in free agency. They could afford to lose him because they like Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin on the outside. There will be change inside after the trade of DeMeco Ryans to the Eagles. Ryans didn't fit as well with the move to the 3-4. Daryl Sharpton will take over in that role for now. But expect competition. Brian Cushing, the starter next to him, is one of the best inside linebackers in the league. The backups lack a lot of experience. But second-year players Mister Alexander and Bryan Braman showed up on special teams last season.

DB: The Texans did the smart thing and used a secondary of four players who had previously started games at corner. That meant the safeties were good in coverage. Glover Quin did a nice job at strong safety and Danieal Manning was good at free safety. They both have range. Troy Nolan is a capable backup who started three games when Manning was hurt. Johnathan Joseph had a good first season with the team, earning a Pro Bowl berth, after signing as a free agent. Kareem Jackson made some progress on the other side, but he was picked on a lot. He needs to play better. Jason Allen, who was the nickel corner, signed with Cincinnati. Brice McCain and Brandon Harris, a rookie last season, needs to show more to push for time.

The Texans’ 2012 preseason schedule looks like this: at Carolina, at home against San Francisco, at New Orleans, at home against Minnesota.The Saints game will be nationally televised on CBS on Saturday, Aug. 25, at 7 p.m. CT. Dates and times of the remaining games have yet to be determined.

The Texans’ 2012 preseason schedule looks like this: at Carolina, at home against San Francisco, at New Orleans, at home against Minnesota.The Saints game will be nationally televised on CBS on Saturday, Aug. 25, at 7 p.m. CT. Dates and times of the remaining games have yet to be determined.
So looks like the Texans/cowboys pre-season "silver boot" series is done for. Was always an easy game for to get tickets both places worked really well with my schedule getting to back to Houston. they need to start looking after my needs more.

So looks like the Texans/cowboys pre-season "silver boot" series is done for. Was always an easy game for to get tickets both places worked really well with my schedule getting to back to Houston. they need to start looking after my needs more.
Yes, not sure why they don't play this year.The one that is the biggest head scratcher to me is the Vikings game. I don't understand why the NFL schedules preseason games between teams who play each other in the regular season. But overall a decent schedule to warm up with. Kubiak likes that game 3 will be against a good opponent in a hostile environment.

Yes, not sure why they don't play this year.The one that is the biggest head scratcher to me is the Vikings game. I don't understand why the NFL schedules preseason games between teams who play each other in the regular season. But overall a decent schedule to warm up with. Kubiak likes that game 3 will be against a good opponent in a hostile environment.
Does the NFL determine pre-season match-ups or does the team? I always thought the team had input into who they played in the preseason.

Does the NFL determine pre-season match-ups or does the team? I always thought the team had input into who they played in the preseason.
I've always thought the same, but I'm not sure. Googling just now I found a Chronicle article that was talking about 2009 and 2011 when they didn't play in preseason either, and it was the Cowboys saying they had scheduling difficulties because they have to schedule their games around the Rangers who share parking lots with Jerryworld.

http://www.foxsportshouston.com/04/05/12/McNair-eases-Texans-fans-nerves-about-mo/landing_texans.html?blockID=703372&feedID=3714

Bob McNair talking about the off-season

Texans owner Bob McNair said the combination of salary cap limitations as well as a plan to retain several key players in the future explains most of the club's moves this season, including the shedding of a couple of established veterans.

Beyond losing Mario Williams to the Buffalo Bills, the Texans traded linebacker DeMeco Ryans and cut tackle Eric Winston. Guard Mike Brisiel signed with the Raiders.

"We were making moves now that put us in the position to be able to go ahead and re-sign Connor Barwin, Duane Brown and Matt Schaub for next year," McNair said. "If we didn't take that action now, the same kind of problems we had this year we would be facing next year. It was just part of our overall plan to make the moves that we did and it worked out pretty much the way we expected."

McNair said as painful as the decisions were to let go of Winston and Ryans, it came down to the math of the salary cap and alleviating future cap issues.

"The question is, do we go ahead and get this in order so that we can sign players next year or do we just kick the can down the road?" said McNair. "I don't believe in kicking the can down the road.

"In the case of Eric, we had two tackles that can back him up. (Rashad) Butler... we know he can play and we think (Derek) Newton is going to come along. At linebacker, we got (Daryl) Sharpton coming along. He was playing well last year before he got hurt."

McNair said he understands that some fans may have been stunned by the release of Winston and the trade of Ryans, but the club had to make those calls to avoid perpetual cap limitations.

"(Fans) don't have the benefit of the depth of knowledge that we have as to what's going on with the team and what we need to do to remain a strong, competitive team" McNair said. "We're taking steps that allow us to be competitive long into the future."

McNair also said that the team is still considering free agents which remain on the market. But the Texans simply couldn't afford to retain all of their high-salaried players.

"There's a limit as to how many of those players you can afford to have without damaging your team," he said. "I want us to be a Super Bowl contender every year. That's why we have a plan.

McNair also confirmed what many believed in terms of the Texans' draft needs: "We know we need more help at wide receiver and we'd like to have more speed on the other side of Andre. And we'd like to have another pass rusher since we lost Mario."

The Texans will also look to add offensive linemen and defensive backs.

But in clarifying the thought process behind the offseason moves, McNair persistent point was that the team had to make decisions now to help secure the next offseason.

"You never want to lose good players but that's going to happen to us every year," said McNair. "You can't pay eight or ten players $10 million per year on each side of the ball. New England let (Richard) Seymour go and Seymour's made the Pro Bowl the last two years. I think that's the way it's going to be going forward in the NFL and every other team is going to face the same situation."

McNair added that he will discuss contract extensions for coach Gary Kubiak and General Manager Rick Smith after the draft but he's happy with job performance of both.

Tags: NFL, Houston Texans, bob mcnair

AFC South draft needs

Houston Texans Excerpt:

Overview: Nothing would make the Texans happier than the focus shifting from their tumultuous offseason to the draft. Following the departure of OLB Mario Williams to Buffalo and a pair of surprising cost-cutting moves — ORT Eric Winston being released and ILB DeMeco Ryans being traded to the Eagles for a fourth-round draft pick — the Texans could use a strong draft class to fill holes and restore good will with their players and fan base. Houston has eight picks, starting with No. 26 overall, and while it has areas it surely would like to improve, there is really only one glaring weakness on the roster.

Need No. 1: Wide receiver

The Texans caught a glimpse of just how poor their receiving corps is without Andre Johnson in 2011. No. 2 WR Kevin Walter and No. 3 option Jacoby Jones couldn’t pick up the slack, forcing Houston to be overreliant on RB Arian Foster and TEs Owen Daniels and Joel Dreessen in the passing game. A consistent and dynamic wideout who can test defenses deep is needed to take the pressure off Johnson and Schaub. It also will lighten Foster’s load. The Texans prefer big, strong wideouts, but if a smaller burner like Kendall Wright is on the board, he might be too tempting to pass up.

Need No. 2: Outside linebacker

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips can never have too many pass rushers. Ideally, he would like to have a third option who stands up and comes off the edge. Even with Williams no longer on the roster, Phillips still has two very good pass rushers in Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed, but they will be much more effective with a third guy who can come in and spell them. Houston likes 2011 undrafted rookie Bryan Braman and veteran Jesse Nading, but neither guy has the potential to come in and make an impact similar to the one Reed made last season.

Need No. 3: Offensive guard/offensive tackle

The Texans think OT Rashad Butler and OG Antoine Caldwell can adequately replace Winston and Mike Brisiel. The good news is that both Butler and Caldwell have the athleticism and experience to get the job done. The bad news is that with both former backups stepping into the starting lineup, the depth along the offensive line has taken a hit. Bolstering the interior could be a bit higher priority than tackle, as Houston is excited about the prospects of 2011 seventh-round OT Derek Newton. In fact, the team didn’t want to risk losing him by putting him on the practice squad last season.

AFC South draft needs

Houston Texans Excerpt:

Overview: Nothing would make the Texans happier than the focus shifting from their tumultuous offseason to the draft. Following the departure of OLB Mario Williams to Buffalo and a pair of surprising cost-cutting moves — ORT Eric Winston being released and ILB DeMeco Ryans being traded to the Eagles for a fourth-round draft pick — the Texans could use a strong draft class to fill holes and restore good will with their players and fan base. Houston has eight picks, starting with No. 26 overall, and while it has areas it surely would like to improve, there is really only one glaring weakness on the roster.

Need No. 1: Wide receiver

The Texans caught a glimpse of just how poor their receiving corps is without Andre Johnson in 2011. No. 2 WR Kevin Walter and No. 3 option Jacoby Jones couldn’t pick up the slack, forcing Houston to be overreliant on RB Arian Foster and TEs Owen Daniels and Joel Dreessen in the passing game. A consistent and dynamic wideout who can test defenses deep is needed to take the pressure off Johnson and Schaub. It also will lighten Foster’s load. The Texans prefer big, strong wideouts, but if a smaller burner like Kendall Wright is on the board, he might be too tempting to pass up.

Need No. 2: Outside linebacker

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips can never have too many pass rushers. Ideally, he would like to have a third option who stands up and comes off the edge. Even with Williams no longer on the roster, Phillips still has two very good pass rushers in Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed, but they will be much more effective with a third guy who can come in and spell them. Houston likes 2011 undrafted rookie Bryan Braman and veteran Jesse Nading, but neither guy has the potential to come in and make an impact similar to the one Reed made last season.

Need No. 3: Offensive guard/offensive tackle

The Texans think OT Rashad Butler and OG Antoine Caldwell can adequately replace Winston and Mike Brisiel. The good news is that both Butler and Caldwell have the athleticism and experience to get the job done. The bad news is that with both former backups stepping into the starting lineup, the depth along the offensive line has taken a hit. Bolstering the interior could be a bit higher priority than tackle, as Houston is excited about the prospects of 2011 seventh-round OT Derek Newton. In fact, the team didn’t want to risk losing him by putting him on the practice squad last season.
I agree with those needs. I could not only see those positions being our first three, but I could see them being taken in that exact order. Though if someone slides I don't think they'd be shy about going other directions. I do think they need a WR within their first two picks regardless of anything else though.

From John McClain:

The Texans are going to sign free agent inside linebacker Bradie James.

James played his entire nine-year career with the Cowboys. He played for defensive coordinator Wade Phillips when he was the head coach at Dallas.

James will compete with Darryl Sharpton for the starting weak-side job that’s available since DeMeco Ryans was traded to Philadelphia. Sharpton is recovering from season-ending surgery for a torn quad muscle.

James, a Monroe, La., had more than 100 tackles in each season under Phillips from 2007-10 and had eight sacks in 2008.

He had 44 tackles in 13 games last season.

More details to come.

John McClain ‏

Texans re-signed veteran ILB Tim Dobbins.

Lance Zierlein ‏

with Dobbins and Bradie James signed today, you can scratch ILB off of your Texans mock drafts as a 1st round pick. No chance now.

Prime time games:

Week 5, MNF at Jets.

Week 6, SNF home vs Packers

Week 10, SNF at Bears

Week 12 Thanksgiving at Lions

Week 14: MNF at Patriots

Week 8 bye.

Texans are one of 2 teams who have 3 consecutive road games.

Full schedule:

1: vs Dolphins noon

2: at Jags noon

3: at Broncos 3:15pm

4: vs Titans noon

5: at Jets SNF

6: vs Packers MNF

7: vs Ravens noon

8: -bye-

9: vs Bills noon

10: at Bears SNF

11: vs Jags noon

12: at Lions Thanksgiving Thursday

13: at Titans noon

14: at Patriots MNF

15: vs Colts noon

16: vs Vikings noon

17: at Colts noon

Titans week 13 & Vikings week 16 are also possible flex options. Highly unlikely those last 2 Colts games would be flexed.

Why is it every year the schedule comes out I feel like we are getting screwed? 5 Primetime games is awesome after 1 last year, but all but 1 of them are away games... :thumbdown:

Users who are viewing this thread