What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans (1 Viewer)

On top of which let me add, don't you find it worse that Houston has faced #2 (Ind), #20 (Was), #4 (Dallas), #8 (Oakland), #3 (Giants), #12 (KC), #2 (IND) in terms of passing yards a game. The opponents have averaged 374.6 yards per game in passing.

Meanwhile NE has faced #11 (Cin), #15 (NYJ), #26 (Buf), #13 (Mia), #14 (Bal), #1 (SD), #18 (MIN). The opponents have averaged 347.9 yards a game.

So if NE faced the opponents that HOU faced, I am sure NE would be tied/worse than HOU
5th worst in the history of the league.

On top of which let me add, don't you find it worse that Houston has faced #2 (Ind), #20 (Was), #4 (Dallas), #8 (Oakland), #3 (Giants), #12 (KC), #2 (IND) in terms of passing yards a game. The opponents have averaged 374.6 yards per game in passing.

Meanwhile NE has faced #11 (Cin), #15 (NYJ), #26 (Buf), #13 (Mia), #14 (Bal), #1 (SD), #18 (MIN). The opponents have averaged 347.9 yards a game.

So if NE faced the opponents that HOU faced, I am sure NE would be tied/worse than HOU
5th worst in the history of the league.
And like I said above, amazingly that NE is only 120 yards off that, or 17 yards a game while facing less stacked opponents.

295 and 4 TDs for Rivers. This is embarrassing.

PassingRk Tm Year G W L T W-L% Cmp Att Yds TD Int Sk Yds1 KAN 2002 8 4 4 0 0.500 236 351 2589 18 9 12 762 SFO 2005 8 2 6 0 0.250 199 298 2454 17 7 21 1443 HOU 2010 8 4 4 0 0.500 205 303 2386 20 5 12 96
Notice that even the two worst teams in history had more INTs and less TDs. This Texans defense is horrid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Code:
PassingRk	Tm	Year	G	W	L	T	W-L%	Cmp	Att		Yds	TD	Int	Sk	Yds1	KAN	2002	8	4	4	0	0.500	236	351		2589	18	9	12	762	SFO	2005	8	2	6	0	0.250	199	298		2454	17	7	21	1443	HOU	2010	8	4	4	0	0.500	205	303		2386	20	5	12	96
Notice that even the two worst teams in history had more INTs and less TDs. This Texans defense is horrid.
Wonder why they don't just fix it... maybe 'this' is the week.

Code:
PassingRk	Tm	Year	G	W	L	T	W-L%	Cmp	Att		Yds	TD	Int	Sk	Yds1	KAN	2002	8	4	4	0	0.500	236	351		2589	18	9	12	762	SFO	2005	8	2	6	0	0.250	199	298		2454	17	7	21	1443	HOU	2010	8	4	4	0	0.500	205	303		2386	20	5	12	96
Wonder why they don't just fix it... maybe 'this' is the week.
Probably time to can the coach and def coordinator.

Into 2nd place!!!

Code:
Rk	Tm	Year	G	W	L	T	W-L%	Cmp	Att		Yds	TD	Int	Sk	Yds1	KAN	2002	9	4	5	0	0.444	261	386		2757	18	10	15	832	HOU	2010	9	4	5	0	0.444	229	334		2712	22	5	14	1123	SFO	2000	9	2	7	0	0.222	196	322		2609	18	6	14	97

THEY'VE TAKEN THE LEAD!!!!

Rk Tm Year G W L T W-L% Cmp Att Yds TD Int Sk Yds1 HOU 2010 10 4 6 0 0.400 251 372 3010 25 6 17 1292 KAN 2002 10 5 5 0 0.500 285 422 2968 19 11 17 9
What an embarrassment of a franchise. How does Kubiak still have a job???

Code:
Rk	Tm	Year	G	W	L	T	W-L%	Cmp	Att		Yds	TD	Int	Sk	Yds1	HOU	2010	10	4	6	0	0.400	251	372		3010	25	6	17	1292	KAN	2002	10	5	5	0	0.500	285	422		2968	19	11	17	9
What an embarrassment of a franchise. How does Kubiak still have a job???
:thumbup: CC, I have to give you credit. I thought that your identification of the Texans pass defense as one of the worst of all timetwo games into the season was premature. However, I failed to take into consideration the following facts:-Dunta Robinson, while not the greatest cover corner in the world, had some swagger back in the secondary. Without him, they have had no swagger and no identity.-Kareem Jackson has been a huge 1st round disappointment and hasn't come close to filling Dunta's shoes.-Brian Cushing is a different player this year than last. I don't know whether it is steroids or not, but he has just been disappointing this year.-The defense has absolutely no depth. When Ryans went out with injury, they had no one who came close to filling his shoes. This caused them to play Cushing out of position for several weeks which did not work.-Frank Bush/Gary Kubiak are incapable of making adjustments on defense. This could be due to lack of depth, but at least try something different!Kubiak should fire Bush because he is not getting the job done, but he won't. As a result, Kubiak should be fired. He is an offensive coordinator, not a head coach. He seems incapable of making the tough decisions to let people go. Contrast with the Steelers who cut Jeff Reed after many years of service because he wasn't getting the job done. Players usually perform better when they know their job is on the line. Those that don't deserve tobe cut.Again, kudos to your perceptive powers regarding this defense.Question: If you are in desperate need of a Fantasy QB this week, do you pick up Rusty Smith? I think the evidence points to yes.

Rk Tm Year G W L T W-L% Cmp Att Yds TD Int Sk Yds1 HOU 2010 10 4 6 0 0.400 251 372 3010 25 6 17 1292 KAN 2002 10 5 5 0 0.500 285 422 2968 19 11 17 9What an embarrassment of a franchise. How does Kubiak still have a job???
:excited: CC, I have to give you credit. I thought that your identification of the Texans pass defense as one of the worst of all time

two games into the season was premature. However, I failed to take into consideration the following facts:

-Dunta Robinson, while not the greatest cover corner in the world, had some swagger back in the secondary. Without him, they have had

no swagger and no identity.

-Kareem Jackson has been a huge 1st round disappointment and hasn't come close to filling Dunta's shoes.

-Brian Cushing is a different player this year than last. I don't know whether it is steroids or not, but he has just been disappointing this year.

-The defense has absolutely no depth. When Ryans went out with injury, they had no one who came close to filling his shoes. This caused

them to play Cushing out of position for several weeks which did not work.

-Frank Bush/Gary Kubiak are incapable of making adjustments on defense. This could be due to lack of depth, but at least try something different!

Kubiak should fire Bush because he is not getting the job done, but he won't. As a result, Kubiak should be fired. He is an offensive coordinator, not a

head coach. He seems incapable of making the tough decisions to let people go. Contrast with the Steelers who cut Jeff Reed after many years of

service because he wasn't getting the job done. Players usually perform better when they know their job is on the line. Those that don't deserve to

be cut.

Again, kudos to your perceptive powers regarding this defense.

Question: If you are in desperate need of a Fantasy QB this week, do you pick up Rusty Smith? I think the evidence points to yes.
I would start Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell if a team picked either of them up to play against the Texans.

I hope Kubiak doesn't get fired, but I'd hope some DC/GM gets fired around there. Kubiak's an offense guy, and the offense is fine. Better than fine. But the worst pass D in history means someone on that side of the ball needs to go. Houston needs to pull a New Orleans and get someone competent to make scheme/personnel decisions for the defense.

I don't know who their defensive coordinator is, but he should be fired today, without question. I am not sure what was worse: having the DBs play bump and run on the Hail Mary last week instead of having them play a prevent, which is what every team does on what is gonna be an obvious Hail Mary attempt, or that horrible coverage on Braylon Edwards' long catch late yesterday. I mean, there is 20 seconds left, they have no timeouts, and they are at the 50. Who gives a #### if they complete an easy 10 or 15 yard pass? You don't let them let a WR get open deep like that. Just horrible. The players might suck something awful, but they are not being coached well at all, and the defensive play-calling is horrendous. Their DC needs to go, and if Kubiak is dumb enough to keep him around, then he needs to go to.

I am looking for a nice tall building with roof access...being a Texan fan yesterday was rough

This season is going to compete with the disappointment achieved after Oilers v Buffalo...ya it's that bad

I don't know who their defensive coordinator is, but he should be fired today, without question. I am not sure what was worse: having the DBs play bump and run on the Hail Mary last week instead of having them play a prevent, which is what every team does on what is gonna be an obvious Hail Mary attempt, or that horrible coverage on Braylon Edwards' long catch late yesterday. I mean, there is 20 seconds left, they have no timeouts, and they are at the 50. Who gives a #### if they complete an easy 10 or 15 yard pass? You don't let them let a WR get open deep like that. Just horrible. The players might suck something awful, but they are not being coached well at all, and the defensive play-calling is horrendous. Their DC needs to go, and if Kubiak is dumb enough to keep him around, then he needs to go to.
Completely agree. I have been a Texans fan since they started, and an Oilers fan before that. The Texans are a horribly run organization from top to bottom. Even though Kubiak is an "offensive-minded" coach, the offense can't get going in the first half of games, and seems to be missing Kyle Shanahan. It is probably time for Kubiak to go. As an Aggie, I hate to see this panning out this way for Kubes.

I hope Kubiak doesn't get fired, but I'd hope some DC/GM gets fired around there. Kubiak's an offense guy, and the offense is fine. Better than fine. But the worst pass D in history means someone on that side of the ball needs to go. Houston needs to pull a New Orleans and get someone competent to make scheme/personnel decisions for the defense.
The problem with Kubiak is Frank Bush was Kubiak's guy. He coached with Kubiak in Denver. This is his first stint as defensive coodinator. I have no problem with giving a new guy a chance, but if that fails it reflects on your decision making process.Kubiak is too nice to be a head coach. He's not willing to fire people who aren't performing. For all his offensive coaching ability, he is a failure as a head coach because he cannot get any production out of the defense.I also think Kubiak has a fair amount of say in who the Texans draft, and the Texans have too many failures in the draft to be successful long-term. Keeping Kubiak means the Texans will remain mediocre at best.

What makes it even worse is for Texans fans is, how is your defense this bad when you have Mario Williams?

And as good as the offense is under Kubiak, when you look at all of the close games the team has lost in the last few years, that says a lot about the coaching staff. Kubiak is a great offensive mind, but appears to be a guy who is better off being an OC rather than a head coach.

The problem with Kubiak is Frank Bush was Kubiak's guy. He coached with Kubiak in Denver. This is his first stint as defensive coodinator. I have no problem with giving a new guy a chance, but if that fails it reflects on your decision making process.Kubiak is too nice to be a head coach. He's not willing to fire people who aren't performing. For all his offensive coaching ability, he is a failure as a head coach because he cannot get any production out of the defense.I also think Kubiak has a fair amount of say in who the Texans draft, and the Texans have too many failures in the draft to be successful long-term. Keeping Kubiak means the Texans will remain mediocre at best.
Maybe Kubiak isn't head coaching material. But why change everything when one thing isn't working? That's what Denver did a couple of years ago and look at the state of their franchise now. Just take some control away. Not every head coach needs to be an expert offensive mind, defensive mind, and drafter. Kubiak is no Bill Parcells. But that offense fights for Kubiak. I think if they limit changes to the defensive/general manager side of things, they come out better than starting over with a new head coach. A head coaching change could just sink the whole ship.

Completely agree. I have been a Texans fan since they started, and an Oilers fan before that. The Texans are a horribly run organization from top to bottom. Even though Kubiak is an "offensive-minded" coach, the offense can't get going in the first half of games, and seems to be missing Kyle Shanahan. It is probably time for Kubiak to go. As an Aggie, I hate to see this panning out this way for Kubes.
From top to bottom? What are you smoking? Our defense is horrible, yes. Our coaching staff has holes in it, yes.

Our owner has made the Texans a top 10 sports franchise, value wise, in 8 years of existence....and that's worldwide. We're talking in the same sentence as Manchester United and the Yankees. Must be doing something right.

The Texans will be fine. If Kubiak doesn't work out, we'll find someone who can get the job done.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports...nt/7122422.html

Maybe Kubiak isn't head coaching material. But why change everything when one thing isn't working? That's what Denver did a couple of years ago and look at the state of their franchise now. Just take some control away. Not every head coach needs to be an expert offensive mind, defensive mind, and drafter. Kubiak is no Bill Parcells. But that offense fights for Kubiak. I think if they limit changes to the defensive/general manager side of things, they come out better than starting over with a new head coach. A head coaching change could just sink the whole ship.
I am not saying Kubiak needs to be an expert at everything. But if he is not an expert defensive mind, then he at least needs to have certain standards that the defense must meet, and hold his coaches responsible for meeting them. I am not seeing any indication of that from Kubiak. Look, the Eagles defense struggled early in the season, and very quickly they made changes in defensive starters to correct some of their problems. It has worked very well. Now Andy Reid is primarily an offensive coach, but I think he made it very clear to the defensive coordinator that the performance was not up to par. That is what a head coach does. he holds players and coaches responsible. That is why Kubiak is deficient as a head coach. No one appears to be accountable.And I don't buy this notion that if Kubiak goes, the offense is going to be worse. There are plenty of offensive minds who can get the Texans to keep doing what they were doing under Kubiak. I will use one more Eagles example. When the Eagles fired Buddy Ryan in 1990 they had a very good aggressive defense. Even though they hired one of the worst head coaches of all time in Rich Kotite, they did bring in Bud Carson as defensive coordinator, who made that defense even better. I still assert that the 1991 Philadelphia Eagles defense was one of the top 5 defenses of all time. Carson took what Ryan was doing and refined it. Had it not been for Randall Cunningham's first game injury, no running game (the incomparable James Joseph/Heath Sherman combo), and playing 5 different QB's that season (including the immortal Brad Goebel and Pat Ryun), that 10-6 team might have made the playoffs and won the superbowl.So I don't agree that the whole ship will sink if the Texans fire Kubiak.

I am not saying Kubiak needs to be an expert at everything. But if he is not an expert defensive mind, then he at least needs to have certain standards that the defense must meet, and hold his coaches responsible for meeting them. I am not seeing any indication of that from Kubiak. Look, the Eagles defense struggled early in the season, and very quickly they made changes in defensive starters to correct some of their problems. It has worked very well. Now Andy Reid is primarily an offensive coach, but I think he made it very clear to the defensive coordinator that the performance was not up to par. That is what a head coach does. he holds players and coaches responsible. That is why Kubiak is deficient as a head coach. No one appears to be accountable.And I don't buy this notion that if Kubiak goes, the offense is going to be worse. There are plenty of offensive minds who can get the Texans to keep doing what they were doing under Kubiak. I will use one more Eagles example. When the Eagles fired Buddy Ryan in 1990 they had a very good aggressive defense. Even though they hired one of the worst head coaches of all time in Rich Kotite, they did bring in Bud Carson as defensive coordinator, who made that defense even better. I still assert that the 1991 Philadelphia Eagles defense was one of the top 5 defenses of all time. Carson took what Ryan was doing and refined it. Had it not been for Randall Cunningham's first game injury, no running game (the incomparable James Joseph/Heath Sherman combo), and playing 5 different QB's that season (including the immortal Brad Goebel and Pat Ryun), that 10-6 team might have made the playoffs and won the superbowl.So I don't agree that the whole ship will sink if the Texans fire Kubiak.
Good points. You may be right. Here's what chides me about Kubiak. If you are on offense and you fumble, or do whatever, you hear about it. You get benched. You lose your job. Where's that conviction on the defensive side of the ball?

Just waiting for the requisite number of "tasty matchup" and "licking their chops" comments. Man, I really despise those comments. Almost as much as HOU's defensive backs despise tackling and making plays.

Just waiting for the requisite number of "tasty matchup" and "licking their chops" comments. Man, I really despise those comments. Almost as much as HOU's defensive backs despise tackling and making plays.
Fisher with the genius move of benching Young and going with Rusty Smith vs the worst of the worst pass D's. Perfect timing by Fisher. Rusty will chuck it up to Moss a half dozen times deep. Points will be scored.Tasty.

Fisher with the genius move of benching Young and going with Rusty Smith vs the worst of the worst pass D's. Perfect timing by Fisher. Rusty will chuck it up to Moss a half dozen times deep. Points will be scored.Tasty.
:goodposting:

Good points. You may be right. Here's what chides me about Kubiak. If you are on offense and you fumble, or do whatever, you hear about it. You get benched. You lose your job. Where's that conviction on the defensive side of the ball?
That's exactly what I am talking about. Kubiak is the head coach. The offense and defense should both be held to the same standard. If the defensive coordinator is not going to do that, then the head coach needs to. If neither do it, then I think they both need to go.Being a head coach is like being a parent. You cannot be everyone's best friend.

Wow is Rusty Smith just bad. Wow. Just, wow. Fischer should be ashamed of himself... Vince Young would have put up some serious numbers on the Texans defense and instead Fischer tries to get fancy and put in his new rookie garbage QB who can't even hook up with Randy Moss for more than 20 yards. Just sad.

Um, hello. I don't know why you think Vince Young is relevant to this discussion. VY's season ended last week when he had thumb surgery. Using that logic - you should be upset that the top QBs in the league did not play for Tennessee yesterday - Manning, Brady, Brees, etc. They all had as good of a chance of putting up numbers for the Titans as VY did.

I don't know which website he was getting his stats for the historical pass yards numbers, but New England has overtaken Houston for most passing yards given up this season. 3,173 vs 3,148.

Nate said:
Anything new here?
Yes sir there is. The Texans managed to shutdown a third string rookie QB on one of the worst passing offenses in the league. This team is for real.
You mean shut him down like shut his team out completely? Why didn't he just hand the ball to Chris Johnson all day?
Good question. Maybe a call to Jeff Fischer could help you get your answer. Was this game a turning point for the Texans? Should we be expecting lock-down D for the rest of the season?

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are wasting your breath. This guy is obviously anti Houston and is just looking for a reason to troll bitterly.

Nate said:
Anything new here?
Yes sir there is. The Texans managed to shutdown a third string rookie QB on one of the worst passing offenses in the league. This team is for real.
You mean shut him down like shut his team out completely? Why didn't he just hand the ball to Chris Johnson all day?
Good question. Maybe a call to Jeff Fischer could help you get your answer.
Good idea. I did. He said "Chris couldn't even muster a single YPC against the Texans, why would I give him the ball?" and I said "Good point."Mystery solved.

You can make yourself not look like a complete troll here by acknowledging that recording a shutout against any NFL team is a pretty good performance.

Nate said:
Anything new here?
Good idea. I did. He said "Chris couldn't even muster a single YPC against the Texans, why would I give him the ball?" and I said "Good point."Mystery solved.

You can make yourself not look like a complete troll here by acknowledging that recording a shutout against any NFL team is a pretty good performance.
My apologies. I'll rephrase my original comments.The Texans managed to shutdown shutout a third string rookie QB on one of the worst passing offenses in the league. This team is for real.

My apologies. I'll rephrase my original comments.The Texans managed to shutdown shutout a third string rookie QB on one of the worst passing offenses in the league. This team is for real.
That's better.Thanks for the sig.

You guys are wasting your breath. This guy is obviously anti Houston and is just looking for a reason to troll bitterly.
Troll or no troll (I'm not familiar w/his postings), I can't argue with the fact that we do have a really, really terrible pass defense. I haven't read the whole thread but I really hope no one is sticking up for our secondary or getting excited about the Tennessee game.
With as little as Texans fans have had to be excited about lately in franchise history, if you can't get happy about shutting out a divisional rival, you should probably find another team.

Troll or no troll (I'm not familiar w/his postings), I can't argue with the fact that we do have a really, really terrible pass defense. I haven't read the whole thread but I really hope no one is sticking up for our secondary or getting excited about the Tennessee game.
With as little as Texans fans have had to be excited about lately in franchise history, if you can't get happy about shutting out a divisional rival, you should probably find another team.
We'd just dropped 4 in a row (the last two being incomprehensible heartbreakers) to all but eliminate ourselves from playoff contention and were facing Rusty Smith. I'm sorry, but you can't kick me in the nuts and then hand me a tootsie roll and expect me to be happy.
You can't enjoy a good tootsie roll whilst icing your balls? What's wrong with you man?

Users who are viewing this thread