What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do I play Blackjack? (1 Viewer)

Let me ask you.......are you a player or a dealer?
I'm not a dealer, although I'm not sure why that would matter. Some dealers know correct basic strategy; most of them don't. In any event, this has nothing to do with experience. It's just math. Whether to hit or stand with a 12 against a 4 is a math problem -- a very difficult one that I could not solve myself, but fortunately people with big computers have done it for us and published the results. Check out Don Schlesinger's Illustrious 18, for example. It's a list of the 18 most important deviations from basic strategy for counters (based on frequency of occurence and difference in EV).

Note that in the cases of 16 vs 10 and 12 vs 4, the dividng line between the standard play and deviation therefrom is a count of zero. So if the deck is even slightly positive, you should take an action different from the one you should take when the deck is even slightly negative. Thus when the deck is neutral, it doesn't matter which action you take.

If you are not counting, you are assuming that the deck is neutral. So with a 16 against a 10, or with a 12 against a 4, if you are not counting, it doesn't matter whether you hit or stand.

Unless, you can count cards (next to impossible with a 6 or 8 deck shoe)
Also, this is incorrect. Counting 8 decks is exactly the same as counting one deck (unless you are tracking aces and/or fives separately, but most counting systems do not call for this).
Regardless of the 18 most important deviations, try hitting a 12 against a 4 on a high limit table and you might find some nasty verbal feedback. There are many different strategies in playing the game of BlackJack. What happens when you have 8 hands all being played with different strategies? Would that affect how you should deviate from basic play? You have some playing as if the it were neg. and some as if it were pos.

The strategy for counting 1 or 8 decks might be the same in most cases but you cannot tell me that it is not a hell of a lot more difficult. I have never met anyone that can honestly count an 8 deck shoe.

I'm not a dealer, although I'm not sure why that would matter. Some dealers know correct basic strategy; most of them don't. In any event, this has nothing to do with experience. It's just math. Whether to hit or stand with a 12 against a 4 is a math problem -- a very difficult one that I could not solve myself, but fortunately people with big computers have done it for us and published the results. Check out Don Schlesinger's Illustrious 18, for example. It's a list of the 18 most important deviations from basic strategy for counters (based on frequency of occurence and difference in EV).

Note that in the cases of 16 vs 10 and 12 vs 4, the dividng line between the standard play and deviation therefrom is a count of zero. So if the deck is even slightly positive, you should take an action different from the one you should take when the deck is even slightly negative. Thus when the deck is neutral, it doesn't matter which action you take.

If you are not counting, you are assuming that the deck is neutral. So with a 16 against a 10, or with a 12 against a 4, if you are not counting, it doesn't matter whether you hit or stand.

Also, this is incorrect. Counting 8 decks is exactly the same as counting one deck (unless you are tracking aces and/or fives separately, but most counting systems do not call for this).
Regardless of the 18 most important deviations, try hitting a 12 against a 4 on a high limit table and you might find some nasty verbal feedback. There are many different strategies in playing the game of BlackJack. What happens when you have 8 hands all being played with different strategies? Would that affect how you should deviate from basic play? You have some playing as if the it were neg. and some as if it were pos.

The strategy for counting 1 or 8 decks might be the same in most cases but you cannot tell me that it is not a hell of a lot more difficult. I have never met anyone that can honestly count an 8 deck shoe.
:popcorn:

:bye:

:hi:Maurile's response should be a good read. It's a pretty simple concept but he always words these type of things so well.

Regardless of the 18 most important deviations, try hitting a 12 against a 4 on a high limit table and you might find some nasty verbal feedback.
From people who are ignorant.
There are many different strategies in playing the game of BlackJack. What happens when you have 8 hands all being played with different strategies? Would that affect how you should deviate from basic play? You have some playing as if the it were neg. and some as if it were pos.
No, there are no adjustments to make based on how other people play. Player A cannot affect Player B's expectation, or vice versa. This is mathematically provable.
It's not more difficult. I can count eight decks. It's exactly the same in terms of difficulty. (You won't get extreme true counts as often with eight decks, which is one reason [but not the only reason] playing fewer decks is more profitable, other things equal. But adding more decks doesn't make counting more difficult except for the fact that you have to keep it up for a longer duration before getting to reset. Plus one, minus one, zero, minus one, minus two, minus four, minus two, zero, plus one, plus three, plus two, zero . . . the mechanics of it aren't any harder to do for six minutes than they are for two minutes.)

:hi:Maurile's response should be a good read. It's a pretty simple concept but he always words these type of things so well.
friend of yours? Anyhow, this subject is getting boring. Just passing time until football season starts. Guess I will have a lot of BSing to do in the upcoming months. :loco:

friend of yours? Anyhow, this subject is getting boring. Just passing time until football season starts. Guess I will have a lot of BSing to do in the upcoming months. :loco:
If I flip a quarter and it ends up heads how much more likely is the next flip to be tails?That's really how simple this argument is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maurile's response should be a good read. It's a pretty simple concept but he always words these type of things so well.
Well, I'm not going to type out why somebody else's play doesn't have any affect on your own play. If anyone is interested in a proof, see Abdul Jalib's old post to rec.gambling.blackjack.

Maurile's response should be a good read.  It's a pretty simple concept but he always words these type of things so well.
Well, I'm not going to type out why somebody else's play doesn't have any affect on your own play. If anyone is interested in a proof, see Abdul's old post to rec.gambling.blackjack.
New subject....Can a man be "just friends" with a hot looking woman? :popcorn:

Maurile's response should be a good read.  It's a pretty simple concept but he always words these type of things so well.
Well, I'm not going to type out why somebody else's play doesn't have any affect on your own play. If anyone is interested in a proof, see Abdul's old post to rec.gambling.blackjack.
It's not statistically likely.

It's not statistically likely. :lmao:

For a real life player who likes to drink and have fun..... thats me.

I like to sit at 3rd base so I can see all the cards go before me. In AZ, all cards (but the dealers) are face up.

I also make big jumps in my bets when I see a LOT of small cards come up the hand before. Im talking from $25 to (3) $75 hands.

I keep an eye out on the cards but dont nessessarily count them.

-----------

Im sure this isnt the way to be a pro. but thats what I do and it seems to work.

Is this helpful or did I say too much?
This is good info.
When you notice a run, PRESS your bet
But what means this?
Leave your original bet and winnings on the table. ie you win a $10 hand and leave the $20 out there for the next hand.
You should do this just before a good streak is about to start . . . not right when it's about to end.

This is good info.
But what means this?
Leave your original bet and winnings on the table. ie you win a $10 hand and leave the $20 out there for the next hand.
You should do this just before a good streak is about to start . . . not right when it's about to end.
Yes. I think all the information was useless but was just explaining the term.

Unless you are a winning player, here is the best way to gamble in Vegas:

1. Play the nickle slots. A lot of people play multiple nickles per trial, but you should not do this. Play one nickle at a time, and wait at least ten seconds (preferably longer) between plays.

2. You will be losing about a penny per trial. At four trials per minute, you will be losing about $2.40/hr.

3. Order a Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum and Cola from your c0cktail waitress. Tip her good, especially if she's hot.

4. Repeat step three as often as possible, and step one as un-often as possible.
This is exactly what I do--except with penny slots.

This is good info.
But what means this?
:lmao: Really good players can spot when a streak is going to start.
Actually isnt this the premise of progressive beting strat?

This is good info.
But what means this?
How the hell can anyone tell when a streak is going to start?
not the streak, but raising until you lose?

This is good info.
But what means this?
You can't. It's one of the most flawed gambling mis-conceptions out there. "It's hit red 3 times in a row let's put a big bet on black", "this table is hot", ect. It just doesn't work. Pretty much every "action" you take in Vegas has negative EV. Changing betting structure isn't going to change that. Card counters are the only people putting dollars on the table that are worth more than leaving those dollars in their pockets. That's why those people get booted from the casinos.

This is good info.
But what means this?
You can't. It's one of the most flawed gambling mis-conceptions out there. "It's hit red 3 times in a row let's put a big bet on black", "this table is hot", ect. It just doesn't work. Pretty much every "action" you take in Vegas has negative EV. Changing betting structure isn't going to change that. Card counters are the only people putting dollars on the table that are worth more than leaving those dollars in their pockets. That's why those people get booted from the casinos.
of course, but were talking about things to do in vegas, not reasons to stay home.best bet is to not play

This is good info.
But what means this?
not the streak, but raising until you lose?
That's the common definition of pressing your bet for one bet. If you think it's just a hot table or hot shoe it would mean doubling or tripling or in some way increasing your standard bet on every hand. When I hear press your bet for one hand I assume that to mean leave your winnings from the last hand on the table.Many people subscribe to this. You play at a 10 dollar table and have a standard 20 dollar bet. WHen the table is hot you bump it to 40 and when you hit a cold shoe you cut it down to 10. It's as mathematically flawed as doubling your bet after you lose counting on not losing 2 in a row.

This is good info.

But what means this?
:lmao:

Really good players can spot when a streak is going to start.

[/quote

Progressive and pressing your bet are 2 dif things.

Just take the money that you can afford to lose and no more. Leave the credit cards at home.

Place a min bet and only play the min until you start to win then up the bet. If it loses, go back to the min. If it wins take half of your winnings off and leave the other half on.....repeat this until you lose. When you lose, go back to the min. Repeat again.

Drink lots of beer, check out the women and have fun.

Basic strategy is all you need to be concerned with and any more than that will take the fun out of it or at least until you know what you're doing.

GOOD LUCK!

This is good info.

But what means this?

[/quote

Just take the money that you can afford to lose and no more. Leave the credit cards at home.

Place a min bet and only play the min until you start to win then up the bet. If it loses, go back to the min. If it wins take half of your winnings off and leave the other half on.....repeat this until you lose. When you lose, go back to the min. Repeat again.

Basic strategy is all you need to be concerned with and any more than that will take the fun out of it or at least until you know what you're doing.

GOOD LUCK!
This is sound advice for having an enjoyable time.

Raise till I lose? WTH? What's going on here now?
Britney, take it from a low-rolling, Fremont Street kind of guy. Ignore all the ultra technical stuff in this thread. 1. Get yourself a cheatsheet and study it before hand so you don't slow up the table.

2. Stick to a low limit table...no more than $5.

3. Don't change your bets, win or lose. If you want to go a little crazy bump up your bet a little after hitting a blackjack. Throw an extra buck or two.

4. Drink the free booze and have fun.
No offense to one of the coolest guys ever (MT), but I think this is the kind of advice I can manage.

Britney, take it from a low-rolling, Fremont Street kind of guy. Ignore all the ultra technical stuff in this thread. 1. Get yourself a cheatsheet and study it before hand so you don't slow up the table.

3. Don't change your bets, win or lose. If you want to go a little crazy bump up your bet a little after hitting a blackjack. Throw an extra buck or two.

No, you are not losing anything but your original bet. You are putting half of the winnings from every hand that you win back into your pocket. It is a great way to make a buck or it helps to keep you playing for the night.

No offense to one of the coolest guys ever (MT), but I think this is the kind of advice I can manage.
Oh, for sure. I'd actually go one farther and just tell you to go to the craps table and make some of the standard bets. Proboably a better over-all experience for your casual gamblor. Or go to a roullette wheel and make minimum bets on the outside and if you end up, up a bet or two stick it on a number and try to get a nice pay-out.Don't confuse that for a system that should be expected to make you any money, but if you're looking for advice on just having a good time it might do you. Maurille's cheap slots and lots of booze tip isn't bad either.

This is good info.

But what means this?

[/quote

GOOD LUCK!
Like I said, good luck and have fun.....I wouldn't try to give you bad advice and of course I have only been in the business for 10 years so wtf do I know :confused:

This is good info.

But what means this?

[/quote

GOOD LUCK!
Like I said, good luck and have fun.....I wouldn't try to give you bad advice and of course I have only been in the business for 10 years so wtf do I know :confused:
I skimmed some of the thread. The posts I read looked like they were being represented as sound systems. You'd be surprised how many people think things that are amazingly flawed are actually solid strategies. Also, your commentary on the effect of other players play at a black-jack table effecting a players expected outcome was patently false.

This is good info.

But what means this?

[/quote

GOOD LUCK!
I skimmed some of the thread. The posts I read looked like they were being represented as sound systems. You'd be surprised how many people think things that are amazingly flawed are actually solid strategies. Also, your commentary on the effect of other players play at a black-jack table effecting a players expected outcome was patently false.
That strategy is fine for someone that knows the game and is willing to piss people off but you are out of your mind if you think that a guy that knows very little about the game should play that strategy. Stick with the BASICS!!! That is all this guy was asking for. What other players do on a blackjack table absolutly affects the game. Unless everyone is playing that particular strategy, you are going to piss other people off big time!

And what do you know about gambling? Let me guess....from a book? How the hell do you think those guys made their money? By selling the book!

This is good info.

But what means this?

[/quote

GOOD LUCK!
That strategy is fine for someone that knows the game and is willing to piss people off but you are out of your mind if you think that a guy that knows very little about the game should play that strategy. Stick with the BASICS!!! That is all this guy was asking for. What other players do on a blackjack table absolutly affects the game. Unless everyone is playing that particular strategy, you are going to piss other people off big time!

And what do you know about gambling? Let me guess....from a book? How the hell do you think those guys made their money? By selling the book!
My credentials as a gamblor need not be listed here. I have nothing to prove. It is a statistical fact that another player's "mistake" will improve your hand as often as it will hurt it. Look at it this way, there are 20 cards in a deck, 10 will bust the dealer and 10 will make the dealer a winning hand, I need the dealer to bust to win. Now the guy on 3rd base can stand or (if this were allowable) take every damn card down to the last one in the deck and it will not change my likelyhood of winning the hand. Just because he made a "mistake" and took the dealers bust card on one hand doesn't mean he won't make that same "mistake" and take a good card for the dealer away.

This is exceedingly simple math. Anybody that knows anything about the game will laugh more at the ####### berating the guy's play than the ####### making the play.

This is good info.

But what means this?

[/quote

GOOD LUCK!

My credentials as a gamblor need not be listed here. I have nothing to prove. It is a statistical fact that another player's "mistake" will improve your hand as often as it will hurt it. Look at it this way, there are 20 cards in a deck, 10 will bust the dealer and 10 will make the dealer a winning hand, I need the dealer to bust to win. Now the guy on 3rd base can stand or (if this were allowable) take every damn card down to the last one in the deck and it will not change my likelyhood of winning the hand. Just because he made a "mistake" and took the dealers bust card on one hand doesn't mean he won't make that same "mistake" and take a good card for the dealer away.

This is exceedingly simple math. Anybody that knows anything about the game will laugh more at the ####### berating the guy's play than the ####### making the play.
There are 416 cards in an 8 deck shoe. 32 As through 9s and 128 10s. That is why you assume that the dealer has a 10 on the bottom and will draw a 10. You cannot tell me that the players have nothing to do with the way the game goes. If you have a player taking the dealers 10 consistantly when they shouldn't then that will affect the outcome.

Also, I deal to people that have played for many years and they play $1,000s of dollars each hand. You try to convince those thousands of players what you are trying to convice me and you can be sure that you would be the one laughed at.

This is good info.

But what means this?

[/quote

GOOD LUCK!

There are 416 cards in an 8 deck shoe. 32 As through 9s and 128 10s. That is why you assume that the dealer has a 10 on the bottom and will draw a 10. You cannot tell me that the players have nothing to do with the way the game goes. If you have a player taking the dealers 10 consistantly when they shouldn't then that will affect the outcome.
Short term, of course. Long term they are not changing the #'s any. My example was perfect. It's simplified but does not change with more complex numbers. In that case the dealer had a 50% chance of drawing a bust card from the remaining deck. It makes no difference statistically if he takes the top card, 2nd card, or 20th card. That is why it makes no difference whether or not the other players play correctly. They are not changing any of the numbers for that particular hand they are simply changing the order of the cards (which is unknown anyway).

Now that's a simple explanation and I'm sure the proof Maurille linked too gives a better one. You really don't have to understand any more than what I just typed to "get it" though. Your reasoning is completely flawed. Not uncommon but completely flawed.

As a side note the people that get pissed about these things are playing over their heads. Anybody in it for the long term knows enough to just trust the math. Same reason I want my AK called by your AQ for all my chips pre-flop just about any time I can get that action no matter what the outcome of that particular hand ends up being.

This is good info.

But what means this?

[/quote

GOOD LUCK!

Also, I deal to people that have played for many years and they play $1,000s of dollars each hand. You try to convince those thousands of players what you are trying to convice me and you can be sure that you would be the one laughed at.
Throwing a thousand bucks on a table means you understand the mathematics associated with black-jack? :lmao:

Dealing cards to the donkeys that throw thousands of bucks at a game they don't understand means you understand the mathematics associated with blackjack? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

This is good info.

But what means this?

[/quote

GOOD LUCK!

Short term, of course. Long term they are not changing the #'s any. My example was perfect. It's simplified but does not change with more complex numbers. In that case the dealer had a 50% chance of drawing a bust card from the remaining deck. It makes no difference statistically if he takes the top card, 2nd card, or 20th card. That is why it makes no difference whether or not the other players play correctly. They are not changing any of the numbers for that particular hand they are simply changing the order of the cards (which is unknown anyway).

Now that's a simple explanation and I'm sure the proof Maurille linked too gives a better one. You really don't have to understand any more than what I just typed to "get it" though. Your reasoning is completely flawed. Not uncommon but completely flawed.

As a side note the people that get pissed about these things are playing over their heads. Anybody in it for the long term knows enough to just trust the math. Same reason I want my AK called by your AQ for all my chips pre-flop just about any time I can get that action no matter what the outcome of that particular hand ends up being.
Well, let me know when you get rich off of this strategy so I can cash in on it myself.

Let me know when you can pass an introductory statistics course. I'll give you a pat on the back. Why don't you just go read the link Maurille posted? Do you just want to say I don't trust math and believe what some jackass that is helping build my casino and pay my salary through his losses tells me? Of course most people don't understand the math behind the game. Vegas wasn't built on people's winnings.

am i reading this wrong.  32 A-9?

wouldnt that be 80 in an 8 deck?
There are 4 suits in a deck ea having an A. 4 As in a deck x's 8 decks. The same goes for 2-9.

am i reading this wrong. 32 A-9?

wouldnt that be 80 in an 8 deck?
There are 4 suits in a deck ea having an A. 4 As in a deck x's 8 decks.
Thought he was saying there are 32 cards between A and 9. not that anyone would want to count that way.Thanks for the answer though

I'll give you another very, very basic analogy.

Let's say I'm holding 3 cards. One is an Ace, the other is a King, and the other is a queen. You are at a 3 person table and we are playing a game where each of you gets to draw one card and the player that draws the Ace wins the pot. Does the order in which you draw the cards have any statistical influence on your expected value in a hand?

Assume all money is in the pot before any players draw and assume the game is on the level.

Let me know when you can pass an introductory statistics course. I'll give you a pat on the back. Why don't you just go read the link Maurille posted? Do you just want to say I don't trust math and believe what some jackass that is helping build my casino and pay my salary through his losses tells me? Of course most people don't understand the math behind the game. Vegas wasn't built on people's winnings.
Hello, this guy wants the basic strategy and that is NOT it. It's that simple!Math is a great thing but the fact is that not many people play that way and if you tell this guy to go play that way he is going to piss people off. He is just out to have fun.

The dealer makes money when the player makes money. Why the hell would I or any other dealer want you to lose unless you don't tip then I could give a #### whether you make money or not. I gain nothing by giving bad advice.

Let's say I'm holding 3 cards. One is an Ace, the other is a King, and the other is a queen. You are at a 3 person table and we are playing a game where each of you gets to draw one card and the player that draws the Ace wins the pot. Does the order in which you draw the cards have any statistical influence on your expected value in a hand?
Right. Anyone who complains about another player improperly standing/hitting is essentially saying, "I wanted the second card out of the shoe instead of the third card!!!! Everyone knows that the second one is always better than the third one!" It's nonsense. Unseen cards are unseen cards -- no particular unseen card is any "better" than any other, on average. Not even the second one.

Let me know when you can pass an introductory statistics course.  I'll give you a pat on the back.  Why don't you just go read the link Maurille posted?  Do you just want to say I don't trust math and believe what some jackass that is helping build my casino and pay my salary through his losses tells me?  Of course most people don't understand the math behind the game.  Vegas wasn't built on people's winnings.
Hello, this guy wants the basic strategy and that is NOT it. It's that simple!Math is a great thing but the fact is that not many people play that way and if you tell this guy to go play that way he is going to piss people off. He is just out to have fun.

The dealer makes money when the player makes money. Why the hell would I or any other dealer want you to lose unless you don't tip then I could give a #### whether you make money or not. I gain nothing by giving bad advice.
I've said multiple times your advice is fine for that purpose.

Assume all money is in the pot before any players draw and assume the game is on the level.

[/quo

You can't compare poker to blackjack. Every game has different odds and every individual casino adjusts there rules to help keep those odds in their corner.

For instance, taking insurance is really in the houses favor. Some casinos offer even money. Do you think that they do that because they are being nice? No, it is in their favor.

Some casinos hit on 17 but win all ties. The list goes on and on.

Users who are viewing this thread