What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you change rules? (1 Viewer)

Pick

Footballguy
In a 16-team league I am in, 3 guys are on a rules committee and they do all the rules changes and such. Their discussions are not made public. I think they vote on each one and majority rules and then they present the changes to the rest of us.I don't like it at all. - Why have 2 out of 16 owners decide how the league is run?- Why have the discussions in secret?- Why not put everything to a league vote?Thoughts on this? Also, how does your league deal with rules changes and has it been successful?

I don't see any problem with a committee to deal with rules -- most fantasy footballers don't want to take the time to think about it -- but letting them make decisions without a leaguewide vote is wrong. They should make their recommendation and let the league vote yea or nay on the whole thing.

In our league of 12 guys, if we were to put each rule change to a vote almost every result would end up with 4 guys supporting the rule, 4 guys hating the rule, and 4 guys who don't care either way.

Our league just created a rules comittee oursleves. Three of us are on the comittee, and all rule changes go through this comittee. If 2 out of 3 agree on the new rule, it is then brought up at the league banquet for a vote where 2/3 of the league must agree to pass it.We did this to cut down on the amount of time silly ideas are brought up.

we have an annual meeting where ahead of time we come up with potetial rule changes and such and prepare an agenda so everyone can prepare and bring their opinions if they so desire.Then at the meeting we basically have a brief discussion and vote on each potential change as a league. Those not present can send in their votes if they care to and they will be counted.Then, we have a cook out and watch the first pre-season game! :)it's really not a complicated process to get everyone involved. If the rule change is a big one (like upping the entry fee or adding a new position or something) we try to get every owners vote either beforehand or we call them that evening to get their vote, yea, nea or 'i don't care'

We have a rule that any new rules changes need to have an 8 out of 12 vote to change it. There is no point in changing a rule if you can't get 2/3 of the league. Only change the rules that need changing.As the commish, I put together a rule meeting agenda and write down the rules changes that were brought ahead during the year or any other rules changes I think would be good for the league. I then write what the rule is about, why it would be chaged and its implications. We have as many of the league members as possible present at our "Rules meeting" to discuss the agenda of rule changes, vote and then do the draw for the draft order. We have a discussion about certain rules and people bring forth differen ways of tweaing the rule changes. Its a good time to get together and it seems to work well because we are not only making the league better, but everyone also has an equal say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Due to problems getting votes done in a timely manner, last year our league instituted a "rule committee". It isn't a specific number of people - anyone who has an interest in the rules can show up at the meeting and we will discuss any proposed rule changes and vote. Any vote over 50% at the meeting is enough to change rules, and owners can send their vote in ahead of time if they can't make it. Certain rules do require 100% owner approval, as well as any rule changes outside of the rules committee meeting.

Our league just created a rules comittee oursleves. Three of us are on the comittee, and all rule changes go through this comittee. If 2 out of 3 agree on the new rule, it is then brought up at the league banquet for a vote where 2/3 of the league must agree to pass it.

We did this to cut down on the amount of time silly ideas are brought up.
Don't forget to mention that we haven't accomplished anything this year ;)

I run a dual 16 team league which meets in a superbowl...so you can imagine how hard it is to get 32 people invoved in discussions, but here is what we do.I should first point out that when I created the league I was very up front that it would be a progressive league where we tried to keep up with the changing times in fantasy football. Anyone joining would not be refunded any dues that were paid so they could trade draft picks if the league made a change that they did not agree with.Each offseason between the end of our league Championship and the end of the NFL super bowl we have open discussions in a message forum where anyone can bring any topic up to discuss a change.Since I am the commish, created the league and do a buttload of work I then decide if it's a rule I would like to see changed or not. If I do like it then it requires 50% approval from those voting, if I do not, it requires 75%. For us the key is to only count those that are voting. Polls last year got 27 of the 32 owners to vote...most passed some failed, but none-the-less it was a positive step.Options for the polls are always- Yes, I like the Change- No, I disslike the change- Impartial, I defer my vote to the commish and trust he has the good of the league in mind.It may be tough to get rules changed, but if you are in a money league I don't think a rules committee should be used. I could be wrong and wish in my league a few owners could make the decision for all...but it's hard for anyone, even the commish at times to think objectivly and not about what it will do for their own team.

We used to have the whole league vote but it was too difficult to get any changes made. We went to a 3 man committee, they meet, dicuss what would be best for the league and vote between themselves. It works out much better. What we stress to the league is that "The rules are the same for every team" We just try to make the league more user friendly. Some guys will just vote no because they don`t like the person who sugggested the new rule..so we eliminated that proccess. It has worked out great..over the last 2 years we have improved our league greatly.

In my 16 team $ league that I commish, we have a thread pinned on the message board all year long for proposed rule changes. People will post while it is still fresh in thier minds. In July, I email out all the proposed rule changes. Later that month we have a meeting at a local bar. People show up and discuss or email in thier votes.I do not vote on any of the rule changes and simple majority wins.I don't like the idea of a 3 person committee deciding the fate of the league. You have from January until August to pass rule changes. In today's world where you have cell phones, email, text messaging, etc.,I can't imagine that any commish can not get all members to vote on rule changes in a 8 month span. Set your deadlines for rule change suggestions early. Start the voting process and discussion early. End the voting process early. Then by July it's done and you can start concentrating on the draft....if you haven't started in February.

I prefer to get as many rule changes out of the way as soon as possible because I recommend people holding off on not trading until then. For example, last year we added a flex defensive player and someone could easily have flown off the handle saying "Had I known that rule was going to change I wouldn't have traded Brian Urlacher for a draft pick".Edit to add that it's a dynasty league.

I prefer to get as many rule changes out of the way as soon as possible because I recommend people holding off on not trading until then. For example, last year we added a flex defensive player and someone could easily have flown off the handle saying "Had I known that rule was going to change I wouldn't have traded Brian Urlacher for a draft pick".

Edit to add that it's a dynasty league.
We have a meeting each year before the start of the next season, typically during the NFL playoffs open to anyone who wishes to attend. Any change recommendations are made/discussed and voted upon. Those that cannot attend, usually call or e-mail any changes or proposals they wish to have heard. Usually about half the league turns out. Has worked very well for us the last 5 years..

About a month before the league auction, we solicit rule change proposals from the league's owners and use the message board to discuss and vote on them. Simple majority rules. During the season, a 3-man Rules Committee decides controversies not foreseen in the league's constitution.It helps that we have a committed, intelligent and highly participatory league body. If you're the kind of guy who is too impatient or too lackadaisical to think about ways to improve the game, then you're probably not gonna be happy in our league.

The league has recently changed it's stance on rules:

The Rules Committee shall be permitted to interpret or construe the rules as necessary for the best interests of the league. Additionally, the Rules Committee may implement, modify, or delete rules that do not achieve the purposes and best interests of the league.

A unanimous vote of the rules committee will be required to make changes to the league’s rules; changes will include the implementation, modification or deletion of any rules. In the event that the rules committee can not reach a unanimous decision, then the League Secretary & League Commissioner will be included and that vote must include 4 of the 5 to pass. The committee will track rule discussions during the season and consider them after the SB is played with the intention of dispositioning the issues before the Feb 1st trading period opens.

A majority of the vote of the rules committee will be required to settle any disputes that arise.

In a 16-team league I am in, 3 guys are on a rules committee and they do all the rules changes and such. Their discussions are not made public. I think they vote on each one and majority rules and then they present the changes to the rest of us.

I don't like it at all.

- Why have 2 out of 16 owners decide how the league is run?

- Why have the discussions in secret?

- Why not put everything to a league vote?

Thoughts on this? Also, how does your league deal with rules changes and has it been successful?
We meet at the commish's house to watch the playoff games that are going on that day and discuss / vote on rule changes. Everyone is invited. A change needs only to have a majority of those present to pass.

i am commish of a 12 team league, five teams were chosen to hash out the "phrasing" and choices for the 12 teams to vote on

A committee to hash through rules and clarify issues is good.I would never be part of a league where a rules committee made decisions on rules where I didn't have a say or vote.If I was on the rules committee, I might feel differently.Our league votes on rules, and - as I recall - a majority of teams makes the decisions, regardless of how many vote. We're a 12-team league, so it requires 7 teams to change a rule. No rule changes can apply retroactively... thus, if a rule clearly affects, say, a decision made last year (a la keepers), then it takes effect prospectively (a year out).I must say that I'm pleased with the way things develop. This is a 13 year old league and folks take rule changes seriously, given tradition. Our scoring rules are a bit archaic, and I'd like to change them a bit, but I have to respect the interest of owners in making deliberate decisions.

Would you 16 team league guys mind telling me how your league is set up? Divisions, Schedule, Starting line up, Roster size etc.Our 12 teamer is expanding to 16 next year. Thanks.

Would you 16 team league guys mind telling me how your league is set up? Divisions, Schedule, Starting line up, Roster size etc.

Our 12 teamer is expanding to 16 next year. Thanks.
Email sent so we don't hijack Pick's rule change thread.

Would you 16 team league guys mind telling me how your league is set up?  Divisions, Schedule, Starting line up, Roster size etc.

Our 12 teamer is expanding to 16 next year.  Thanks.
Email sent so we don't hijack Pick's rule change thread.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread